PDA

View Full Version : Graham Hancock

Standing Wolf
04-22-2019, 08:03 AM
In 1995, a British journalist published a book called 'Fingerprints of the Gods'. The main assertion of the book was that there had been far older civilizations, boasting far greater technological and cultural developments, than traditional historians acknowledged. Many other writers had proposed such a theory, as they have since, but Hancock, a very talented writer, took great pains to make his rather massive book a model of scholarly inquiry and reasonableness. In other words, not your usual "kook" theorizing.

I remember thinking at the time that the book was unfortunately named, as many people remember a book from 1968 called 'Chariots of the Gods' by a Swiss hotel manager named Erich von Daniken, who wrote a number of sequels, all of which advanced the "ancient astronaut" concept. Hancock is most definitely not von Daniken. Many critics have labeled Hancock a proponent of "pseudo-history" or "pseudo-archeology", but even if one is skeptical of his claims he is still a gifted writer, and his books are fascinating.

Hancock has since published several more books along the same lines, including studies and speculations about the Great Sphinx and another about the history and legends surrounding the Ark of the Covenant. Back in 2002, I think it was, he wrote a huge book called 'Underworld', focusing on strange, in some cases unexplained, archeological phenomena beneath the Earth's oceans.

Anyway, I was happy to hear that he is going to be doing a book signing in the Phoenix area this coming Wednesday, and I'm planning to haul my bag o' books down there for autographs and meet the gentleman, along with picking up his new book, 'Magicians of the Gods', of course.

MisterVeritis
04-22-2019, 08:07 AM
I just checked. Ten bucks on Amazon.

Standing Wolf
04-22-2019, 10:17 AM
My error. His new book is 'America Before: The Key to Earth's Lost Civilization'. 'Magicians' is the book he published in 2015.

Great fun and, as I say, some awfully good writing, even if you don't buy any of it as fact.

countryboy
04-22-2019, 10:23 AM
My error. His new book is 'America Before: The Key to Earth's Lost Civilization'. 'Magicians' is the book he published in 2015.

Great fun and, as I say, some awfully good writing, even if you don't buy any of it as fact.

Cool, I might add it to my list.

On a side note, the site's idiotic profanity filter ruined your thread title, LOL.

Standing Wolf
04-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Cool, I might add it to my list.

On a side note, the site's idiotic profanity filter ruined your thread title, LOL.

Yeah, I didn't see that one coming.

countryboy
04-22-2019, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I didn't see that one coming.

I just placed a hold on Magicians of the Gods, audiobook version, from my library. If I like it, I may buy some of his other works from Audible. :)

Collateral Damage
04-22-2019, 10:57 AM
In 1995, a British journalist published a book called 'Fingerprints of the Gods'. The main assertion of the book was that there had been far older civilizations, boasting far greater technological and cultural developments, than traditional historians acknowledged. Many other writers had proposed such a theory, as they have since, but Han$#@!, a very talented writer, took great pains to make his rather massive book a model of scholarly inquiry and reasonableness. In other words, not your usual "kook" theorizing.

I remember thinking at the time that the book was unfortunately named, as many people remember a book from 1968 called 'Chariots of the Gods' by a Swiss hotel manager named Erich von Daniken, who wrote a number of sequels, all of which advanced the "ancient astronaut" concept. Han$#@! is most definitely not von Daniken. Many critics have labeled Han$#@! a proponent of "pseudo-history" or "pseudo-archeology", but even if one is skeptical of his claims he is still a gifted writer, and his books are fascinating.

Han$#@! has since published several more books along the same lines, including studies and speculations about the Great Sphinx and another about the history and legends surrounding the Ark of the Covenant. Back in 2002, I think it was, he wrote a huge book called 'Underworld', focusing on strange, in some cases unexplained, archeological phenomena beneath the Earth's oceans.

Anyway, I was happy to hear that he is going to be doing a book signing in the Phoenix area this coming Wednesday, and I'm planning to haul my bag o' books down there for autographs and meet the gentleman, along with picking up his new book, 'Magicians of the Gods', of course.
You've piqued my interest. My e-library doesn't have Fingerprints, I usually like to start with first works on a subject, but this time I went straight to the recommended book. post mortem in a week or two (yes, I read quickly and voraciously)

Peter1469
04-22-2019, 12:32 PM
I have listened to several interviews with both Hancock and von Daniken. Good stuff.

Collateral Damage
04-29-2019, 07:52 AM
In 1995, a British journalist published a book called 'Fingerprints of the Gods'. The main assertion of the book was that there had been far older civilizations, boasting far greater technological and cultural developments, than traditional historians acknowledged. Many other writers had proposed such a theory, as they have since, but Han$#@!, a very talented writer, took great pains to make his rather massive book a model of scholarly inquiry and reasonableness. In other words, not your usual "kook" theorizing.

I remember thinking at the time that the book was unfortunately named, as many people remember a book from 1968 called 'Chariots of the Gods' by a Swiss hotel manager named Erich von Daniken, who wrote a number of sequels, all of which advanced the "ancient astronaut" concept. Han$#@! is most definitely not von Daniken. Many critics have labeled Han$#@! a proponent of "pseudo-history" or "pseudo-archeology", but even if one is skeptical of his claims he is still a gifted writer, and his books are fascinating.

Han$#@! has since published several more books along the same lines, including studies and speculations about the Great Sphinx and another about the history and legends surrounding the Ark of the Covenant. Back in 2002, I think it was, he wrote a huge book called 'Underworld', focusing on strange, in some cases unexplained, archeological phenomena beneath the Earth's oceans.

That is one hard read. Unless one already knows much of the scientific references, you spend a great deal of time reading, and googling. While I have a passing acquaintance with some of the terminology, his 'squirrel' off into another subject, liberally peppered with personal adventures, took quite a bit of time to align to the subject.

I am a voracious reader, and quite used to finishing a lengthy tome in a week. I've been at this since the thread started, and am barely 25% of the way. Perhaps it's me, but there seems to be a great bit of promoting his previous works also.

I will continue on, but I will definitely not be using the phrase 'well written'.