PDA

View Full Version : Paul Krugman’s Solar Eclipse

Mister D
11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Paul Krugman may be a Nobel Prize–winning economist, but his most recent column in the New York Times, which condemns hydraulic fracturing and praises solar energy, displays an astounding disinterest in numbers and woeful ignorance of the facts.

Without providing any sources, Krugman writes, “We know that [fracturing] produces toxic (and radioactive) wastewater that contaminates drinking water; there is reason to suspect, despite industry denials, that it also contaminates groundwater.”

Huh? Over the past 60 years, the process of hydraulic fracturing has been used more than 1 million times on oil and gas wells here in the U.S. If fracturing were as dangerous as Krugman implies, then hundreds, perhaps thousands, of water wells would have been contaminated by now. And surely the public would have been made aware of those many contaminated wells.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/282610/paul-krugman-s-solar-eclipse-robert-bryce

jgreer
11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Right, and nobody ever gets hurt coal mining or drilling oil either!

Mister D
11-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Correct the author where he is wrong.

MMC
11-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Looks Like Krugman let that Nobel Peace Prize go to his head. Figuring he is such an Icon that he never needs no sources to back up what he talks about. What I am trying to figure out is. Since he knows about economics. Who told him that his thoughts on other issues matters.

Is he an expert in Politcal Science? Is he an expert in Foreign Affairs? Is he an Expert on Military Issues? Is he an Expert In Military Strategy and Tactics? Is he an Expert In History? Doesnt know Sports, Doesnt know about Women, Doesnt know about the streets, yet all should listen when Paul Krugman Speaks?

We can teach a dog how to bark. Yet we cannot teach those who talk just to hear themselves talk. To STFU!

Mister D
11-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Looks Like Krugman let that Nobel Peace Prize go to his head. Figuring he is such an Icon that he never needs no sources to back up what he talks about. What I am trying to figure out is. Since he knows about economics. Who told him that his thoughts on other issues matters.

Is he an expert in Politcal Science? Is he an expert in Foreign Affairs? Is he an Expert on Military Issues? Is he an Expert In Military Strategy and Tactics? Is he an Expert In History? Doesnt know Sports, Doesnt know about Women, Doesnt know about the streets, yet all should listen when Paul Krugman Speaks?

We can teach a dog how to bark. Yet we cannot teach those who talk just to hear themselves talk. To STFU!

I'm sure Krugman is an intelligent fellow but, like many modern intellectuals, he feels that because he is intelligent he knows everything. Our culture breeds this sort of man because modern education is specialized education. We have all bought into this system. This is why, for example, an evolutionary biologist like Richard Dawkins pontificates on the stupidity of religion and we listen as if he knows what he's talking about.

Conley
11-09-2011, 09:33 PM

I'm sure Krugman is an intelligent fellow but, like many modern intellectuals, he feels that because he is intelligent he knows everything. Our culture breeds this sort of man because modern education is specialized education. We have all bought into this system. This is why, for example, an evolutionary biologist like Richard Dawkins pontificates on the stupidity of religion and we listen as if he knows what he's talking about.

Yep. I feel like a genius because I know how to use Google and Wikipedia :-\

As far as celebs go, part of that is the explosion of cable channels and 24-7 programming too.

Mister D
11-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Yep. I feel like a genius because I know how to use Google and Wikipedia :-\

As far as celebs go, part of that is the explosion of cable channels and 24-7 programming too.

Typically, as far as serious discussion is concerned I really do try to keep my BSing here limited to topics I'm familiar with to some extent. I sometimes think that if everyone did that discussion on the Internet would be a lot better but it also occurred to me that most of the discussions would then end. :D

Conley
11-09-2011, 09:54 PM
:D Yes, if that were the case there'd be ten posts on here. Really for way too many political issues though the answers seem very simple. It only complicates matters when you're getting paid to ignore the solution.