PDA

View Full Version : How's your weather this spring?

donttread
06-14-2019, 06:16 AM
Here in NNY it has been cool, cloudy and rainy. even by our standards.. My squash plants are on strike, refusing to grow anymore until we get some decent weather!

midcan5
06-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Very green, very wet, minor flooding in lots of places where there was none before. The plants, trees, and flowers love it. It is like driving through a tropical forest in places.

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." John Ruskin

PS I'm sure some homeowners are less happy than those plants.

Common
06-14-2019, 06:58 AM
Wet and more wet

countryboy
06-14-2019, 07:20 AM
Here in NNY it has been cool, cloudy and rainy. even by our standards.. My squash plants are on strike, refusing to grow anymore until we get some decent weather!
Same here in NE Ohio. Thank God I don't garden anymore, lol.

Lummy
06-14-2019, 07:21 AM
"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." John Ruskin.
I'll go with this. There is something I really like about every season.

nathanbforrest45
06-14-2019, 09:08 AM
Here in Central Florida spring has been hot and dry. The ice caps are melting and most of the polar bears have gone North. Seriously, last week the temperature hit 102 in Ocala with a 96% humidity. Can't wait until the summer (which runs from Mid May to the end of November)

FindersKeepers
06-14-2019, 09:17 AM
A rainier spring than in recent years -- more like the springs we had 15 years ago or so. Looks like the brome will do very well and my garden looks amazing.

Peter1469
06-14-2019, 05:58 PM
We had a lot of rain in May. Now we get some heavy but short storms in the early evening. The last few days have been cooler than normal. Today it was around 70 degrees, sunny, and windy.

Standing Wolf
06-14-2019, 07:03 PM
It stayed unseasonably cool here in Arizona for most of May, then the temperature shot up suddenly nearly thirty degrees. We went from high temps in the seventies, low eighties, to 107, even 110 the other day. We went from the coolest May in decades to the earliest "excessive heat" warnings in decades.

jimmyz
06-14-2019, 08:29 PM
It stayed unseasonably cool here in Arizona for most of May, then the temperature shot up suddenly nearly thirty degrees. We went from high temps in the seventies, low eighties, to 107, even 110 the other day. We went from the coolest May in decades to the earliest "excessive heat" warnings in decades.

*wipes brow* Yep. Still, the most comfortable May in my memory giving us here one less month of hell-like temps.

donttread
06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Same here in NE Ohio. Thank God I don't garden anymore, lol.

I should start gardening "wild craft" plants and weeds. they can handle pretty much all the weather that gets thrown at them without any help. Odd that we choose to sustain ourselves on such unhardy plants isn't it?

donttread
06-17-2019, 07:35 AM

I honestly don't know how you people do it. I guess we are an adaptable species if nothing else.

Standing Wolf
06-17-2019, 08:18 AM
111 degrees is the upper limit of my tolerance, personally. One day, I think it was last week, I stepped outside about 4 p.m. and I knew instantly that it was 112. As long as I'm not outside trying to work, 111 feels good to me - sort of like standing a little too close to a large bonfire; the heat just sort of bakes you through, and I find it invigorating. One degree hotter and I tend to just want to turn around and go back inside.

Peter1469
06-17-2019, 08:04 PM
We are finally in the upper 80s + heat index- but it is not as hot as the last few Junes. And the first half of June was cool.

BenjaminO
06-18-2019, 11:52 AM
The thing I liked about Phoenix was the heat was dry heat, no humidity.
Here in Maryland it's been pretty nice but the humidity is back for the summer.
Last year Maryland had measurable rain every 3 days.
The old record from the 1800's of 40 some inches per year went up to 70+ inches.
The topsoil was 80% saturated. It was awful.
This year has been much better.
Apparently the rain is falling elsewhere.

Lummy
06-18-2019, 12:04 PM
111 degrees is the upper limit of my tolerance, personally. One day, I think it was last week, I stepped outside about 4 p.m. and I knew instantly that it was 112. As long as I'm not outside trying to work, 111 feels good to me - sort of like standing a little too close to a large bonfire; the heat just sort of bakes you through, and I find it invigorating. One degree hotter and I tend to just want to turn around and go back inside.

Quit whatever it is your currently doing and get a job at a TV station as a Human Thermometer. If you're any good, the station would instantly increase viewers by 50%, and you could become syndicated and filthy, stinking rich.

The hottest temperature I have ever experienced was 115 degrees in Phoenix. For about 15 seconds.

Lummy
06-18-2019, 12:06 PM
You'd have to hit 100% of the time, of course. Otherwise, anyone could do your job.

Standing Wolf
06-18-2019, 12:32 PM
Quit whatever it is your currently doing and get a job at a TV station as a Human Thermometer. If you're any good, the station would instantly increase viewers by 50%, and you could become syndicated and filthy, stinking rich.

The hottest temperature I have ever experienced was 115 degrees in Phoenix. For about 15 seconds.

I recall that some years back - I think it was in the mid- to late-'90s - we had temps at, near or above 120 every day for about a week. They had to close Sky Harbor because the runways were melting.

DGUtley
06-18-2019, 12:35 PM
The animals are pairing up.....

Standing Wolf
06-18-2019, 12:46 PM
The old record from the 1800's of 40 some inches per year went up to 70+ inches.

I think the worst heat-humidity combo I ever experienced was when I was living in the L.A. suburbs in the late '80s, and it got up to 108 degrees. I'd been in worse humidity, like in Memphis and Orlando, but never with that kind of temperature. Air conditioners were going out all over the city, mine included, and people who had to be outside were walking around looking like some kind of disaster survivors. I checked my two cats into a luxury boarding facility in Garden Grove for the duration and wished I could have stayed there myself.

Peter1469
06-18-2019, 04:53 PM
We are getting some strong short lived storms here in NOVA.

Peter1469
06-18-2019, 04:54 PM

We got over 120 in Iraq. Maybe 130.