PDA

View Full Version : Recipe thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Captain Obvious
11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Figured I'd beat Conley to the punch.

Sausage and gravy (breakfast).

2lbs sweet sausage (or breakfast sausage)
2 medium onions
Gallon of milk (not low-fat)
Salt, pepper
A little flour or biscuit mix
Biscuits (pop'n fresh, store bought, drop biscuits, whatever - or toast)

Fry the sausage and diced onions up until it starts to brown. Break it up well also, like ground meat. Salt and pepper to taste.

Don't drain the fat, once the sausage is well browned, add maybe 2 tablespoons of flour (or biscuit mix if you're making drop biscuits) and mix well. Add the milk next, enough to fill the pot up over the sausage - like a soup. You should be using a dutch oven or a deep pot if you haven't figured that out by now.

Now you have to stand there and stir often or it will burn. Keep the fire on medium high, the milk will start to thicken and once its gravy-like, you're done.

Take your biscuits or toast and ladle the sausage and gravy over it (shit-on-a-shingle style).

It's out of this world.

Mister D
11-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Way too rich for breakfast. I simply can't eat like that in the morning. Some bacon and eggs is about my limit. Maybe 300 calories.

Conley
11-09-2011, 11:39 PM
This thread is gonna get sexy. I'll revisit it in the A.M.

Conley
11-09-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm actually ordering a dutch oven through Amazon in the next week or so

http://threemanycooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/le-creuset.jpg

;D

Conley
11-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Figured I'd beat Conley to the punch.

Sausage and gravy (breakfast).

2lbs sweet sausage (or breakfast sausage)
2 medium onions
Gallon of milk (not low-fat)
Salt, pepper
A little flour or biscuit mix
Biscuits (pop'n fresh, store bought, drop biscuits, whatever - or toast)

Fry the sausage and diced onions up until it starts to brown. Break it up well also, like ground meat. Salt and pepper to taste.

Don't drain the fat, once the sausage is well browned, add maybe 2 tablespoons of flour (or biscuit mix if you're making drop biscuits) and mix well. Add the milk next, enough to fill the pot up over the sausage - like a soup. You should be using a dutch oven or a deep pot if you haven't figured that out by now.

Now you have to stand there and stir often or it will burn. Keep the fire on medium high, the milk will start to thicken and once its gravy-like, you're done.

Take your biscuits or toast and ladle the sausage and gravy over it (shit-on-a-shingle style).

It's out of this world.

That sounds awesome...I'd need to half that recipe at least. That is a 10 am on a weekend breakfast type meal, one that will keep you going for a while. Like you said, no need to drain fat. That's just wasteful. :D

Conley
11-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Crap, this is why I have so many posts. I need to just wait a few minutes and not make every new thought that comes into my head a new post. Sorry :D

Captain Obvious
11-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm actually ordering a dutch oven through Amazon in the next week or so

http://threemanycooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/le-creuset.jpg

;D

Be a little careful with those ceramic coated pots, the cheap ones will chip easily and you'll get rust. Don't get one from Wal Mart, get a good one if you're going ceramic.

Better yet, get one of these:

http://www.apptrav.com/lodge-dutch-oven-bail.jpg

Lodge and Wagner make good ironware. You have to season it to get a good carbon coating and never wash it with soap, but once you get that carbon coating going, you can fry eggs in them. Same for a good wok, always get an iron one and season it.

Conley
11-11-2011, 11:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DlG2g.jpg

Captain Obvious
11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Snow's a coming, time for chicken soup.

1 young, fresh chicken - whole
2 large onions, chopped
1 large bunch of parsley
1 bunch of carrots, peeled and chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped (include the leaves also)
Salt an peppah

Plus anything else you might want to add which is the nice thing about soup, once you get the basic stuff down it's wide open from there. Potatoes, parsnips, leeks, tomatoes (be careful with tomatoes though, they add a different distinctness to soup), garlic if you dig it - whatever.

Salting and simmering are the two key steps. One of the biggest mistakes is under salting soup. Salt it up - and taste it to make sure it's salted correctly. Pepper the shit out of it also.

In a large stock pot add maybe a gallon and a half of water and the chicken, simmer for an hour or two on low heat until the chicken looks done. Strain the "stock" off of the chicken and meticulously pick off all of the meat off of the chicken carcass, add it back to the stock in the stock pot and everything else. I use a food processor for all of the other shit. My wife tells me that it over-chops the other stuff but fuck her - she's not the one making the soup.

Now after everything is added (it should look soupy), let it simmer all day. All fucking day, don't plan on eating this until tomorrow. Low heat, as low as you can get it. At the end of the day, take a table spoon and try to get as much of the chicken grease off of the top of the soup and put it in the fridge.

Take it out the next day, warm it up, add it to boiled noodles, rice or whatever and enjoy. You should get a week out of that soup also.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Great recipe and simple too. I usually use a few pieces of dark meat because I'm only cooking for myself but this sounds great. I'll get my roommate to split this with me.

I like tomatoes in chicken soup actually. Not too much but that "distinctness" is enjoyable.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Leeks are a must.

Captain Obvious
11-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I like tomatoes also but it changes the soup a bit. Makes it "dirty".

Leeks - one thing that's going on in Potter County here is leeks, wild. In late summer they have leek fests. Leek sausage, leek and ham dinners, leek soups. Wild leeks, they grow out in the swampy areas of the forest. Easy to get to and there's tons of them.

Not like the leeks you get at the grocery store either, they're just big green onions. These ones are small, curled at the ends and very, VERY potent. Like a cross between straight garlic and onion.

I don't go out for them, that's too much work. I hit the fire halls and lodges after leek and ham dinner nights and take all the leftovers. I haven't done that in a year or two but the last time I did I wound up with an entire cooler full of leeks. My hands stunk for a week after cleaning them.

My wife was pretty sick of the "hey, smell my finger" routine.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Interesting. I've only had the store bought guys. Yeah, they are kind of like scallions or green onions. Whatever you want to call them. I love that entire family actually. I eat a lot of garlic, onions and scallions but leeks I only use for soups and stews. Not really sure what else to do with them. Any ideas? Keep in mind that I hate sausage.

Captain Obvious
11-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Man - leek sausage? The local grocery store makes leek sausage in the fall. I think I missed this years crop though but it's out of this world. Stinks to high heavan and it stays with you for a week or so if you know what I mean. My wife isn't crazy about strong foods but she really likes leek sausage.

I was making leeks and scrambled eggs a lot for breakfast. Frying leeks calms the flavor down a bit. We grilled them straight up with just salt, burned them a bit. Crunchy with a bite, that was good. Other than that, in soups or just chopped up on hot dogs or whatever is pretty much it. Leek and ham is a big thing here, it's ok but I wouldn't make it at home.

Wait - we put leeks in meatballs once. Beef/pork based meatballs with leeks and a ton of parsley. Cut it with rice, that was pretty good also. Pizza also, made homemade pizza with leaks.

Just a thought, haven't tried this but I'm guessing that leeks in a homemade salsa would be pretty decent with fresh cilantro and basil.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 10:38 PM
I've had many a day when my poop smelled like it was lightly sauteed with garlic and onion. :grin: I know what it does to you but it tastes great and it's very good for you.

What was the recipe for leeks and eggs? Just like onions and eggs? It sounds good. I'm always trying to add more vegetables to my diet. Maybe you could add the leeks to a pat of butter (1/2 a serving-Mister D watches his figure :wink:) and then pour the beaten eggs on top? I actually prefer crunchy onions and leeks. I even eat raw garlic in salads. Sliced VERY thin of course. The pungency is the best part, IMO. When garlic ore onions cook for a long time (outside of a liquid) they get sweet and that honestly turns my stomach. Roasted garlic is, IMHO, absolutely disgusting.

I usually moisten my meatballs with raw onion. I usually use lean meat so the onions help the meat withstand the simmering. It works well and I see no reason I couldn't try it with leeks. Thanks. I'm getting hungry though. :smiley:

I need to contribute to this thread. I will soon.

Captain Obvious
11-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Nothing special about leeks and eggs recipe wise. I'd just fry the leeks in hot butter for a few minutes (salted and peppered to taste) and dump the pre-cracked eggs right into it and whip it good.

Put a slice or two of provolone (farm made provolone if you can get it, or mozzarerlla (sp?)) and whooooooo, damn!

Razor blades for garlic if you want it thin, or if your knives are sharp. If you're like me, your knives are like sledgehammers. Buy razor blades.

Mister D
11-28-2011, 10:49 PM
:laugh: I'll use the mandolin for the slicing. No fuss, no muss.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to breakfast myself. I'll try this Saturday morning. I'll pick up some leeks on my way back from happy hour on Friday.

Captain Obvious
11-28-2011, 10:58 PM
:laugh: I'll use the mandolin for the slicing. No fuss, no muss.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to breakfast myself. I'll try this Saturday morning. I'll pick up some leeks on my way back from happy hour on Friday.

What? Mandolin? Isn't that like a ukelele?

Gives a new meaning to the term "axe".

:afro:

Drunk, at the grocery store buying leeks.

Here's one. I'm up in NH getting some final shit finalized. Nothing in the house, I'm sleeping on the floor on sleeping bags. So I stop at the grocery store and buy a half case of beer (Red Hook ESB), a single roll of toilet paper and a half chicken.

... and I got carded. Go figure.

Conley
11-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Nice! Forgot about this thread...that looks like a good recipe. I got my French Oven working so I'm going to be making a lot of soups and stews. I really wanted to slow cook our turkey this year but my pops was running the show. It turned out dry and tough :(

Mister D
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Turkey is supposed to be somewhat dry. That's what the gravy is for!

Mister D
11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
What? Mandolin? Isn't that like a ukelele?

Gives a new meaning to the term "axe".

Drunk, at the grocery store buying leeks.

Here's one. I'm up in NH getting some final shit finalized. Nothing in the house, I'm sleeping on the floor on sleeping bags. So I stop at the grocery store and buy a half case of beer (Red Hook ESB), a single roll of toilet paper and a half chicken.

... and I got carded. Go figure.

http://imgs.tootoo.com/58/94/5894960034ae98e3b7579f43b0dcbbdc.jpg

lol! Really? Policy I guess. Silly but whatever.

Conley
11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Interesting, I'd never heard of a mandolin (as a kitchen utensil).

You're right about the turkey and gravy but my dad like runny gravy and I prefer to thicken it up with some flour. I think he used a tiny amount of cornstarch but not enough IMO.

I keep replying to posts on the first page of threads without realizing there are many posts after the 'newest unread post'. I'm still getting the hang of the new format.

Mister D
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Interesting, I'd never heard of a mandolin (as a kitchen utensil).

You're right about the turkey and gravy but my dad like runny gravy and I prefer to thicken it up with some flour. I think he used a tiny amount of cornstarch but not enough IMO.

I keep replying to posts on the first page of threads without realizing there are many posts after the 'newest unread post'. I'm still getting the hang of the new format.

It's pretty useful. More than I thought it would be. Great for onions and garlic.

Conley
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I can see how it would be. I enjoy wielding the cleaver.

Mister D
11-29-2011, 11:33 AM
I can see how it would be. I enjoy wielding the cleaver.

:shocked: Careful!

Captain Obvious
11-29-2011, 08:09 PM
That's a kraut cutter, I have an old wooden one that I use to make sauerkraut.

Mister D
11-29-2011, 08:11 PM
That's a kraut cutter, I have an old wooden one that I use to make sauerkraut.

It's good for shredding or slicing cabbage. No doubt.

Conley
11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Hey, so here's a question. I just roasted a bunch of chestnuts. Delicious...but what's the trick for keeping the meat from sticking to the shell?

Captain Obvious
11-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Grease the inside of the shell?

Conley
11-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm all for grease but there's no way to grease it before you open it. It's kind of like a pistachio or a walnut...you need to crack it open but unlike those other two nuts the meat really sticks.

Captain Obvious
11-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Conley - quick, look up.

That's the punchline sailing over your head.

:flipoff:

Conley
11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Conley - quick, look up.

That's the punchline sailing over your head.

:flipoff:

Hahah, fuck you mutherfugger :grin:

The sad part is I still don't get it.

:cry: :laugh:

Conley
11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Oh wait, on re-read I get it. You're talking about sexytime. :afro:

A bearded clam! :kiss: :laugh:

Conley
11-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Shoot, I should have put this tired tomato I've got in the soup I'm making tonight. Actually, there's still time, I think I might.

I threw a bunch of our leftovers together and added some turkey stock from the bones and meat...I've got all kinds of stuff in there, some Yukon Gold potato, carrots, celery, Worchestershire Sauce and more stuff. It's smelling good. Cilantro too. And I'm sipping on some leftover Jim Beam, neat.

Mister D
11-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Aside from scotch, I'm not whiskey guy. I should try a good bourbon though.

Yeah, there aren't too many rules with soups and stews. Sounds good. I don't think I've ever had Worchestershire sauce around.

Conley
11-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Really? It's kick ass. I first got introduced to it through my Grandpa who would use it on grilled cheese sandwiches. It really works on them...I don't know how he got started on that. We also have Pickapeppa (sp?) sauce, the bottle of which looks oddly similar. I will look them up tomorrow. I don't even know what's in them ingredient wise.I think Jim Beam is probably pretty crappy but tonight it tastes good. Probably because I'm buzzzzed...I love Jameson but I don't have any of that lying around. I hadn't even touched hard alcohol for months before yesterday, now not only am I cooking with Thanksgiving leftovers but I'm drinking them too. :wink:

Mister D
11-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Worchestershire sauce has a tomato and anchovie base if I'm not mistaken.

Conley
11-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Worchestershire sauce has a tomato and anchovie base if I'm not mistaken.

Well, that sounds putrid. Thanks! :laugh:

Captain Obvious
11-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Anchovy yes, I'm not sure about tomato though.

Key ingredient in bloody mary.

Conley
11-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Anchovy yes, I'm not sure about tomato though.

Key ingredient in bloody mary.

Yes! That too.

We had a bloody maries over the weekend so the leftover celery went into the soup.

Captain Obvious
11-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I love anchovys, I can eat them straight from the can.

It's getting harder anymore to find a decent pizza joint that still puts anchovys on pizza. Fucking communists.

Conley
11-30-2011, 10:45 PM
That surprises me about pizza...we have a local joint that offers them and I think the Papa John's does too.

Worse comes to worse, can't you buy them in a tin and put them on yourself?

Fuck I'm getting blitzed right now and fuck if pizza doesn't sound delicious. Hope your stomach is better now too.

That local place makes kick ass calzones, and they deliver. :evil:

Captain Obvious
11-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I met a friend here for wings. Had a couple beers (sipping one now).

Still feel a little off tho.

Conley
11-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Cool, can't go wrong with wings and beers.

Conley
11-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Threw some cheese on top of it like a French Onion soup...hog heaven!

Mister D
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I love anchovys, I can eat them straight from the can.

It's getting harder anymore to find a decent pizza joint that still puts anchovys on pizza. Fucking communists.

Tried it once. I couldn't get the slice passed my nose.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Cool, can't go wrong with wings and beers.

Ain't that the truth.

Conley
12-01-2011, 12:51 PM

I'll eat anything salty...anchovies, pickles, olives. I dunno what it is, just delicious. Well, I guess that is evolution too...just like fats, back in the day we needed salts and they weren't as easy to come by.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I'll eat anything salty...anchovies, pickles, olives. I dunno what it is, just delicious. Well, I guess that is evolution too...just like fats, back in the day we needed salts and they weren't as easy to come by.

I like salty foods too but that anchovies I can't deal with.

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Eating anchovys is like eating pussy. If you smell it before you put it in your mouth, you're screwed.

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Candied yams.

Make these every year, this year I used fresh yams instead of Bruces canned. They turned out a little mushier than I expected for fresh yams, thought they'd hold their form a little better but still good stuff. Easy recipe.

2 large cans of Bruces (Bruces - not the generic) canned sweet potatoes, or 6 or 7 whole yams, peeled and cut up into chunks
Honey
Brown sugar (dark or light, I prefer dark)
2 sticks of butter.

If you're using canned, don't drain the juice. Add maybe 2 cups of water if you're using fresh. Add maybe a cup of brown sugar and a cup of honey to the yams/liquid and butter. Stick it in the oven on 350 or so for 1.5 to 2 hours until they start to get a little brown and that's it.

Fantastic stuff.

Conley
12-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Eating anchovys is like eating pussy. If you smell it before you put it in your mouth, you're screwed.

Yeah but some pussy smells WAY worse than other pussy.

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah but some pussy smells WAY worse than other pussy.

We were packing up the moving van and you know when you move a chest of drawers? You just carry the drawers out first then the unit and put the drawers back into the unit on the van? We were standing outside by the van with the drawers on the lawn and the one with my wife's panties was right there and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be a douche so I grabbed a pair of her panties and started sniffing them. She goes through her minor pissed off routine and heads back into the house when my 17yr old kid leans over to me and says "you fucking asshole" and laughs.

One of those father/son moments.

Conley
12-01-2011, 09:43 PM
We were packing up the moving van and you know when you move a chest of drawers? You just carry the drawers out first then the unit and put the drawers back into the unit on the van? We were standing outside by the van with the drawers on the lawn and the one with my wife's panties was right there and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be a douche so I grabbed a pair of her panties and started sniffing them. She goes through her minor pissed off routine and heads back into the house when my 17yr old kid leans over to me and says "you fucking asshole" and laughs.

One of those father/son moments.

:laugh: That's beautiful...almost brought a tear to my eye. We shouldn't be talking about pussy stank in the recipe thread methinks.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 10:43 AM
So D's probably eating those scrambled eggs and leeks right now. Bet he makes them every Saturday from now on.

Wifey found some leek sausage, picked up a shitload of it. Gonna make some later on today, roast it with potatoes and maybe something else. She said it stunk up the car on the way home.

Conley
12-03-2011, 10:48 AM
:laugh: I bet you're right about D. Yeah, I just remembered I've got some eggs in my fridge that need to be et...gonna go scramble dem up. Can't go wrong with sausage and potatoes. I don't have any sausage but I am roasting yams, potatoes, and onions today also.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Cap't is right! Those were delicious. :shocked: I dropped the leeks in a corner of the pan after a took the bacon out. There was a lot of moisture in them so I didn't need much grease. I was kind of bummed 'cause I realized after I got home last night that I was out of hot sauce but whatever. I have to go shopping today anyway. Very tasty.

Conley
12-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Ah, that's beautiful. I feel like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GL6LH6ufhM

Mister D
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Nice light onion flavor...it comes together quite well. :wink:

Mister D
12-03-2011, 11:12 AM
You know, it's the simplicity that I like the most. It's an easy way to get some vegis in the morning without a lot of fuss.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Made that leek sausage - wow, that stuff is good. Tender, meaty, not fatty at all - and BAM, it hits you.

Just cut it up (from a rope) and put it in a dutch oven with potatoes, a can of beer, some salt n' peppa and I added some parsley flakes for the potatoes.

Made a salad also, no lettuce. Ran down to the local grocery store for salad shit. Looked at the lettuce and decided I was tired of it so I just bought some yellow and green squash (which was really cheap), a tiny head of cabbage, some green pepper, tomato and cucumber.

That was good also, everyone liked it better without lettuce.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
What kind of meat did you use for the sausage?

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
What kind of meat did you use for the sausage?

I didn't "make" the sausage, they make it down at the local grocery store. I'm guessing pork/beef blend.

They make their own sausage, it's all very good. Breakfast and hot sausage also. My only knock - and it's really not much of a knock when you consider it is that they don't put enough fat in it. I made breakfast this morning and fried up some of their sausage links. Had to add some olive oil, there wasn't enough fat to get a good fry going.

Conley
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Roasting my potatoes now

Conley
12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
I didn't "make" the sausage, they make it down at the local grocery store. I'm guessing pork/beef blend.

They make their own sausage, it's all very good. Breakfast and hot sausage also. My only knock - and it's really not much of a knock when you consider it is that they don't put enough fat in it. I made breakfast this morning and fried up some of their sausage links. Had to add some olive oil, there wasn't enough fat to get a good fry going.

Don't get D started on what olive oil in the morning will do to you. :wink:

Does the sausage come with the leeks already in them? Edit: Ah, nm I see that they do. I wonder if I could find anything like that out here.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Oh, I see.

Interesting. Whenever they use pork or beef there is usually plenty of fat. The olive oil better for you anyway.

I'll fry up turkey links once in a while but I have to be in the mood.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 05:54 PM

Does the sausage come with the leeks already in them? Edit: Ah, nm I see that they do. I wonder if I could find anything like that out here.

That shit is for real. No pun intended. :wink:

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Actually, the leeks come separate. You have to unzip the sausage, insert the leaks and zip them back up again.

Conley
12-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Actually, the leeks come separate. You have to unzip the sausage, insert the leaks and zip them back up again.

Oh...I went back and looked at your earlier post and guess I misunderstood. I guess I could buy the sausage and the leeks separately and put them in.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Sounds like it would impart a hell of a lot of flavor especially if you let them sit overnight.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I bought two batches of leeks. I'll have eggs and leeks again in the morning and I'll be making some turkey thigh soup.

Conley
12-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Sounds like it would impart a hell of a lot of flavor especially if you let them sit overnight.

Were they hard to find? I wonder if they are just sitting out in the the produce section. I've never seen them or bought them, I don't know if they even grow out here in CA (but most anything does).

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Were they hard to find? I wonder if they are just sitting out in the the produce section. I've never seen them or bought them, I don't know if they even grow out here in CA (but most anything does).

Here in PA, they grow wild out in the wetlands. Not swamps but marshy areas. You just go out, find them and take them.

I stated earlier, I don't do that shit - too much work. Last time I got my hands on wild leeks I got them from the local VFW after a ham and leek dinner. They gave me an entire cooler full of them.

Conley
12-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Here in PA, they grow wild out in the wetlands. Not swamps but marshy areas. You just go out, find them and take them.

I stated earlier, I don't do that shit - too much work. Last time I got my hands on wild leeks I got them from the local VFW after a ham and leek dinner. They gave me an entire cooler full of them.

Right, that's how it is in backwater PA. I'm asking D about where civilized people can find them. :grin:

Actually, I think I'd be happier than a pig in shit in backwater PA. :laugh:

Mister D
12-03-2011, 06:53 PM

That's a traditional ingredient in soups, for example. I think there were leeks in the produce section when I was a kid. You should be able to find that just about anywhere. They don't jump out at you though. They look like giant scallions or green onions.

http://startcooking.com/public/IMG_8269.JPG

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Right, that's how it is in backwater PA. I'm asking D about where civilized people can find them. :grin:

Actually, I think I'd be happier than a pig in shit in backwater PA. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm back home now for good (for now) and I can't tell you how much better I feel.

I hear animals now. Heard wolves the other night (with the moon I guess). Dog is freaked out about something rustling around in the back of the yard, he won't leave the side of the sliding glass door. I hear birds now. The fields are green and lush.

It's great.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 07:00 PM
That's a traditional ingredient in soups, for example. I think there were leeks in the produce section when I was a kid. You should be able to find that just about anywhere. They don't jump out at you though. They look like giant scallions or green onions.

http://startcooking.com/public/IMG_8269.JPG

Yeah, those aren't really leeks. They're big green onions. I bought them once from the grocery store.

Wild leeks look like this:

http://www.seasonalchef.com/051307f.jpg

They're smaller, a little curled and way, WAY more pungent, potent than commercial leeks.

It's like biting into a thin green onion with the potency of garlic.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Interesting. Never saw those.

Conley
12-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah, those aren't really leeks. They're big green onions. I bought them once from the grocery store.

Wild leeks look like this:

http://www.seasonalchef.com/051307f.jpg

They're smaller, a little curled and way, WAY more pungent, potent than commercial leeks.

It's like biting into a thin green onion with the potency of garlic.

Yeah, those are the leeks I'm looking for.

We get coyotes in our backyard every winter. They seem to love it back there with their pups, it's a canyon, overgrown. Technically it's our land but it's not really anything you could develop I don't think. People lose a lot of cats to them. Anyhow, I see them every now and then and at night they'll do this weird howling "yip yip" thing which really sets my dog off. Nature rocks.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:09 PM
The "wild leek" is an entirely different vegetable called a ramp. Interesting stuff. Making me hungry...

Allium tricoccum — known as the ramp, spring onion, ramson, wild leek, wild garlic, and, in French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language), ail sauvage and ail des bois — is an early spring vegetable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable), a perennial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial) wild onion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium). It has a strong garlic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic)-like odor and a pronounced onion flavor.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek#cite_note-zeldes-0) Ramps are found across North America, from the U.S. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) state of South Carolina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina) to Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada). They are popular in the cuisines of the rural upland South (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States) and in the Canadian province of Quebec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec) when they emerge in the springtime. Ramps also have a growing popularity in upscale restaurants throughout North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I've never seen a ramp but I have to admit I never looked. Why would I? I didn't know they existed.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Interesting. Never saw those.

Yeah, those big leeks are good - don't get me wrong, but the leek sausage and all that shit that I'm talking about is made with wild leeks.

You really have to try them to get the idea, they are powerful. I cut that cooler of leeks up and my hand literally stunk for a week.

I got them in a cooler half filled with water. They grow in watery/muddy places - like marsh fields that get over-run from streams when the water is high. Wild - nobody plants them. I guess they grow like weeds.

Conley
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Cap'n have you ever heard them called ramps?

http://www.bloggingwv.com/wild-ramps-for-sale/

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I get it the odor part. I've eaten 10 cloves of garlic in a sitting. :grin: I may ask the produce guy. Sounds tasty. The leeks I used were the market leeks. Tasted great.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
The "wild leek" is an entirely different vegetable called a ramp. Interesting stuff. Making me hungry...

Allium tricoccum — known as the ramp, spring onion, ramson, wild leek, wild garlic, and, in French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language), ail sauvage and ail des bois — is an early spring vegetable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable), a perennial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial) wild onion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium). It has a strong garlic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic)-like odor and a pronounced onion flavor.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek#cite_note-zeldes-0) Ramps are found across North America, from the U.S. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) state of South Carolina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina) to Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada). They are popular in the cuisines of the rural upland South (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States) and in the Canadian province of Quebec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec) when they emerge in the springtime. Ramps also have a growing popularity in upscale restaurants throughout North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek

Hah - that article cites "Stinkfest" in Bradford which is the big town about 45 minutes west of us where we do our shopping. I've been to one of those stinkfests but it was a while back. It's a big deal in Bradford, I almost forgot about it.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Great find. I was just thinking of ordering online but I wondered how they are packed? In any case, it's a short distance in shipping terms between WV and NJ

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 07:15 PM

No, that's new to me.

I'll ask a few locals though, I bet they've never heard of the term before either.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Hah - that article cites "Stinkfest" in Bradford which is the big town about 45 minutes west of us where we do our shopping. I've been to one of those stinkfests but it was a while back. It's a big deal in Bradford, I almost forgot about it.

It's related to garlic and onion. No doubt that juice gets on your hands and stays there.

Conley
12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Great find. I was just thinking of ordering online but I wondered how they are packed? In any case, it's a short distance in shipping terms between WV and NJ

:laugh: I was way behind you guys with the ramps...I am still getting the swing of this kind of board.

That was the first link I found, not sure if they are any good or not. You can probably find better. I bet we could grow them, it doesn't sound that hard if they grow wild.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
No, that's new to me.

I'll ask a few locals though, I bet they've never heard of the term before either.

Not sure if that's a Canadian term?

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
:laugh: I was way behind you guys with the ramps...I am still getting the swing of this kind of board.

That was the first link I found, not sure if they are any good or not. You can probably find better. I bet we could grow them, it doesn't sound that hard if they grow wild.

That's true. We might be able to grow them ourselves. Everyone grows tomatoes around here. F'n Jersey tomatoes...:rollseyes: How you like my ramps, bitches!? :afro:

I'll have to look into that. Too cold now but in March perhaps.

Conley
12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
That's true. We might be able to grow them ourselves. Everyone grows tomatoes around here. F'n Jersey tomatoes...:rollseyes: How you like my ramps, bitches!? :afro:

I'll have to look into that. Too cold now but in March perhaps.

:laugh: Ramps are straight gangsta. Jersey Italians know tomatoes, I wouldn't question it.

Yeah, per that site ramp season is over. :sad:

MMC
12-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Sounds like U-bruthas can cook some.....

So now yas can make Me, Spunk, and Boom some samiches. Get er Done!!!!! :kiss: :grin:

Captain Obvious
It's related to garlic and onion. No doubt that juice gets on your hands and stays there.

That leek/cooler story happened the year we first moved up here. I was renting a house and we just moved in. My kid's in the yard catching snakes under rocks that made a little wall that nobody knew what species they were (they were very colorful) and I'm in the kitchen stinking up the house cutting these leeks up.

It was at that moment that my wife was standing there with a sort of 200 yard stare in her eyes. Like "why....".

Gotta tell you though, she's come to live this lifestyle. She won't admit it but I sense it, it's pretty strong. She's not good at hiding her "read between the lines" emotions.

Conley

In WV?

Captain Obvious

Ramps, eh?

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I thought wild leeks were a more northern thing, I'm surprised to see that they're popular in WV and VA. It's a way, way different climate down there. Hell, Pittsburgh is a different climate.

In Potter County, it's cooler, wetter. A good 5-10 degrees cooler on average I'd guess. Not much corn is grown here where it's pretty common down and south of Pittsburgh. Same for tomatoes - not much in that department. And I miss good tomatoes and corn in the summer time.

What's grown up here is potatoes. Not many farms but potatoes and some herbs, that's about it. Not wet enough for grapes, Erie gets all of those. Some apples maybe but not much.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
That leek/cooler story happened the year we first moved up here. I was renting a house and we just moved in. My kid's in the yard catching snakes under rocks that made a little wall that nobody knew what species they were (they were very colorful) and I'm in the kitchen stinking up the house cutting these leeks up.

It was at that moment that my wife was standing there with a sort of 200 yard stare in her eyes. Like "why....".

Gotta tell you though, she's come to live this lifestyle. She won't admit it but I sense it, it's pretty strong. She's not good at hiding her "read between the lines" emotions.

How can a woman resist a man that cooks? :wink:

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
In WV?

None of us ever heard the term before. If the locals never heard it either what else could it be?

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 07:25 PM

I remind her of that when she's on her monthly and I need servicing. Like this morning.

Man, I'm rifting that leek sausage now. Freaking my kid out.

Conley
12-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Rifting?

Conley
12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh, #5 I guess

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rifting

:cya20:

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:29 PM
:laugh: Ramps are straight gangsta. Jersey Italians know tomatoes, I wouldn't question it.

Yeah, per that site ramp season is over. :sad:

The Garden State! The soil is supposed to be very good for tomatoes and mulignans. Not the kind in Camden. The edible kind. :grin:

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:30 PM
I remind her of that when she's on her monthly and I need servicing. Like this morning.

Man, I'm rifting that leek sausage now. Freaking my kid out.

That whole family does wonders for your body though, Cap't. Remind them of that. Garlic, onions, leeks etc. Great for you.

MMC
12-03-2011, 07:35 PM

6 lets ask all those Hollywood actresses? Entertainers? Playmates? Rich women? Plus those women that like to play with the Liquor Cabinet. :wink:

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 07:38 PM
That whole family does wonders for your body though, Cap't. Remind them of that. Garlic, onions, leeks etc. Great for you.

Kid sucked that sausage down like nobody's business but when I start rifting, it encompasses the room if you know what I mean.

Like a mouth fart.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 07:40 PM
The Garden State! The soil is supposed to be very good for tomatoes and mulignans. Not the kind in Camden. The edible kind. :grin:

I grew tomatoes in Pittsburgh, they were like basketballs. Zucchini also, huge. Zucchini grows up here also, I get a bag full of them from the neighbor every now and then. Too big actually, the really fat ones develop thick seeds.

Tomatoes - not so much. Not warm enough I'm guessing.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:48 PM
I grew tomatoes in Pittsburgh, they were like basketballs. Zucchini also, huge. Zucchini grows up here also, I get a bag full of them from the neighbor every now and then. Too big actually, the really fat ones develop thick seeds.

Tomatoes - not so much. Not warm enough I'm guessing.

That is probably the answer. It's indigenous to South America.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Kid sucked that sausage down like nobody's business but when I start rifting, it encompasses the room if you know what I mean.

Like a mouth fart.

The worst are when your farts smell like garlic and onions.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
6 lets ask all those Hollywood actresses? Entertainers? Playmates? Rich women? Plus those women that like to play with the Liquor Cabinet. :wink:

Your typical woman loves a man who can cook. Not sure why more men don't learn. It's not rocket science.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 08:12 PM
You guys have been some inspiration. I was a in cooking funk for some reason for a few weeks. I just didn;t feel like anything in particular. Now I'm on fire.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 08:15 PM
That explains the 3 cans of beans a week fix.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Here's a dish my wife developed.

Another simple dish. She never liked brussel sprouts until I turned her on to it.

She never liked anal sex either, but I can be very persuasive.

1lb (or two) of fresh brussel sprouts. Smaller ones are better, they shouldn't look limp (limp... giggle)
Salt n' peppa (by salt I generally use season salt - Lowrey's or store brand, whatever)
Butter
Tablespoon (or 3) of garlic, fresh or that shit in a jar which is OK by me

She fries them in a skillet and burns them - black. Adds the garlic halfway through.

That's it - outstanding.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 08:24 PM
That explains the 3 cans of beans a week fix.

:laugh: Yes! Exactly.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Here's a dish my wife developed.

Another simple dish. She never liked brussel sprouts until I turned her on to it.

She never liked anal sex either, but I can be very persuasive.

1lb (or two) of fresh brussel sprouts. Smaller ones are better, they shouldn't look limp (limp... giggle)
Salt n' peppa (by salt I generally use season salt - Lowrey's or store brand, whatever)
Butter
Tablespoon (or 3) of garlic, fresh or that shit in a jar which is OK by me

She fries them in a skillet and burns them - black. Adds the garlic halfway through.

That's it - outstanding.

Do you find them bitter? Peter likes sprouts too. I thin he uses bacon.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Do you find them bitter? Peter likes sprouts too. I thin he uses bacon.

That's why I put emphasis on the smaller ones, I think they tend to be less bitter.

Actually I'll go a step further. This might sound OCD but I get my sprouts from the store in bins. I pick them out one at a time. I favor the smaller, rounder ones and less stemmy/stumpy ones. I think the stumps make them bitter so if you get those small little perfect circles of sprouts you should be OK.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Oh yeah, and the lighter ones, I avoid the darker (green) ones.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 08:38 PM
They are very good for you so it's worth a shot. Maybe next week I'll pick out a few sprouts. Light green and small. Understood.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 08:39 PM
They are very good for you so it's worth a shot. Maybe next week I'll pick out a few sprouts. Light green and small. Understood.

Yeah, like Conley's balls.

:poke:

Mister D
12-03-2011, 08:40 PM

:shocked: :shocked:

Mister D
12-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I forgot to get that sweet potato. I'll get it next week. No biggie. I wanted to try Peter's suggestion as well.

Peter1469
12-03-2011, 08:58 PM
We just cut them into halves or quarters depending on size. And bake them in teriyaki sauce or soy sauce with olive oil on top.

We have also been taking kale or spinach and spreading it out on a baking disk. Sprinkle olive oil on it and bake it until crispy. A great snack.

Conley
12-03-2011, 08:59 PM
We just cut them into halves or quarters depending on size. And bake them in teriyaki sauce or soy sauce with olive oil on top.

We have also been taking kale or spinach and spreading it out on a baking disk. Sprinkle olive oil on it and bake it until crispy. A great snack.

What temp would you suggest? I've never baked spinach before.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Baked, crispy spinach. That never occurred to me as being good to eat. I like a good, mushy, soggy spinach.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I've been eating a lot of kale with spaghetti or linguine. I saute a lot of garlic in extra virgin olive oil and add the kale in handfuls. Kale is nice because it's a more robust leaf. It won;t get soggy like spinach does.

Conley
12-03-2011, 09:18 PM
That makes sense, I think kale would work better.

Mister D
12-03-2011, 09:35 PM
That makes sense, I think kale would work better.

I was using turnip greens for a while but then the local supermarket just stopped carrying them the cut and cleaned ones. I should probably just get a spin dryer and clean my own greens but the cleaned ones are so cheap it hardly seems worthwhile.

Captain Obvious
12-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I was using turnip greens for a while but then the local supermarket just stopped carrying them the cut and cleaned ones. I should probably just get a spin dryer and clean my own greens but the cleaned ones are so cheap it hardly seems worthwhile.

You sure you're Germanic?

How big's your dick?

Conley
12-03-2011, 09:44 PM

More of a purplish hue actually. :grin:

Mister D
12-03-2011, 10:05 PM
You sure you're Germanic?

How big's your dick?

Italian, Polish, French, and Irish. :grin:

Peter1469
12-04-2011, 03:33 PM
350 or more if you are in a rush.

Yes, Kale works just as well if not better.

Conley
12-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks Peter, I'll give that one a shot! I've got turnips, kale, and sweet potatoes on my list.

Mister D
12-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Not sure how I feel about baked greens. It can't hurt to try though. Greens are very inexpensive.

Mister D
12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks Peter, I'll give that one a shot! I've got turnips, kale, and sweet potatoes on my list.

You can use turnips in any soup or stew recipe that calls for potatoes. You can also use both like I just did.

Conley
12-04-2011, 04:15 PM
You can use turnips in any soup or stew recipe that calls for potatoes. You can also use both like I just did.

Cool. I don't do a lot with recipes exactly, I go freestyle.

Mister D
12-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Cool. I don't do a lot with recipes exactly, I go freestyle.

With soup and stew you don't really have to. I mean cooking is not like baking where a small deviation could spell disaster.

Conley
12-04-2011, 06:54 PM
With soup and stew you don't really have to. I mean cooking is not like baking where a small deviation could spell disaster.

Who said soup and stew is all Conley does? Sucka, I got mad baking skills. I was making Baked Alaska as a sixth grader in Home Ec. Smoke some of dat!

Mister D
12-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Who said soup and stew is all Conley does? Sucka, I got mad baking skills. I was making Baked Alaska as a sixth grader in Home Ec. Smoke some of dat!

You best not be serving up turnips for dessert, son. :grin:

MMC
12-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Baking Hash Brownies and MJ Cookies don't count. :wink:

Mister D
12-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I have to try a potato breakfast dish. I've never made taters for breakfast. I was pretty impressed by the leeks and eggs even though Cap't had a different leek in mind. That's going to become a regular thing.

Peter1469
12-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Oh I realized for the brussel sprouts that I mentioned, you should cut off the root of the stem and take at least the first layer of leaves off and then halve or quarter them based upon size. Us a sauce that you like (soy for example) and bake on 350 for 20 minutes or until done.

Mister D
12-05-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't like soy but I'll think of something. Maybe a butter based sauce.

Conley
12-05-2011, 07:56 PM
You don't like soy sauce?!

I always knew there was something off about you. :grin:

Mister D
12-05-2011, 07:58 PM
You don't like soy sauce?!

I always knew there was something off about you. :grin:

Not the real stuff. I've used it on my vegetable chow mein but it was the Chinese restaurant stuff.

Peter1469
12-05-2011, 08:24 PM
try terriaki.

Mister D
12-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Not a fan of that either. :undecided: I'm not big on east Asian cuisine. I like European, Latin American, and some Indian dishes.

I'll figure something out though.

Conley
12-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Asian food done properly is awesome IMO. Korean, Japanese and Chinese, all of it. Mind you I'm not talking a $10 lunch special of mystery meat at a greasy Asian diner.

Mister D
12-05-2011, 08:38 PM
My buddy who got me into tea loves east Asian food. The last time I had it I got violently ill. Not sure what it was. That was the second time in a row. Nice place and a vegetarian dish. On the other hand, I love Chinese tea but dislike Indian teas. Go figure.

Conley
12-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Hmm...well if you've had multiple bad experiences that makes more sense. Maybe a food allergy?

Mister D
12-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Hmm...well if you've had multiple bad experiences that makes more sense. Maybe a food allergy?

Not sure. I'm not aware of any allergies. The last time it was mostly broccoli and rice. I eat a lot broccoli at home. Probably the sauce. It was some kind of brown, garlic sauce. It tasted fine but I got very ill that evening.

Conley
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
That stinks. I prefer cooking Asian food at home anyway. IMO it's one of the easiest to master.

Peter1469
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
I like Thai food.

Maybe a curry would go good with the brussel sprouts.

Mister D
12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
I like Thai food.

Maybe a curry would go good with the brussel sprouts.

The guy I mentioned above who got me into tea loves Thai. I'm definitely open to trying east Asian again and Thai is the sort of thing I'll probably go for. Maybe Vietnamese.

Conley
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
The guy I mentioned above who got me into tea loves Thai. I'm definitely open to trying east Asian again and Thai is the sort of thing I'll probably go for. Maybe Vietnamese.

Not sure if they have Trader Joe's there but they have some great bottled red and yellow Thai curry sauces.

Conley
12-05-2011, 09:58 PM

I love Thai. Vietnamese too, good Pho can't be beat.

Mister D
12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Not sure if they have Trader Joe's there but they have some great bottled red and yellow Thai curry sauces.

There was one within walking distance of my old apartment. Bunch of freaking hippies over there though. :grin:

Mister D
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I love Thai. Vietnamese too, good Pho can't be beat.

I'm more adventurous than I used to be. I may try it son. I don't eat out much though.

Conley
12-05-2011, 10:25 PM
There was one within walking distance of my old apartment. Bunch of freaking hippies over there though. :grin:

:laugh: In my hood it's more yuppies than hippies. The ones that drive SUV hybrids and think they're saving the environment. :rollseyes:

I go at odd hours purposefully to avoid the crowds at all the grocery stores around here.

Mister D
12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
:laugh: I didn't mean to say I may try it, son. That should be soon.

Same here, actually. The parents are yuppies but the kids who work there are hippies. It's a pretty rich town. Regular middle class kids don't become hippies anymore. It takes a rich mommy and daddy to fall back on these days. :wink:

Conley
12-05-2011, 10:45 PM
:laugh: I didn't mean to say I may try it, son. That should be soon.

Same here, actually. The parents are yuppies but the kids who work there are hippies. It's a pretty rich town. Regular middle class kids don't become hippies anymore. It takes a rich mommy and daddy to fall back on these days. :wink:

Ha! Yes to all of that.

MMC
12-10-2011, 10:57 AM
http://icds.portal.att.net/meredith/party-meatballs-R073038-ss.jpg

Ingredients:

Nonstick cooking spray
1 slightly beaten egg
8 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and finely crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
1/4 cup plain yogurt or dairy sour cream
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
2 lb. uncooked ground turkey
Nutritional Information:

Carbohydrate: 2g, Sodium: 152g, Cholesterol: 39mg, Total Fat: 5g, Calories: 82, Protein: 8g.
Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two 15x10x1-inch baking pans or large baking sheets with foil. Lightly coat foil with nonstick spray; set aside.

2. In a large bowl combine egg, bacon, bread crumbs, basil, yogurt, pepper, and salt. Add ground turkey; mix well. Shape into 75 one-inch meatballs (about 1 tablespoon each). Place on pans.

3. Bake on separate oven racks for 15 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink. Serve with sauce or skewered. Makes 25 (three-meatball) servings.

4. In a saucepan combine one 16-oz. jar purchased Alfredo sauce and 1/4 cup milk. Heat through. Stir in 8 slices crisp-cooked, crumbled bacon (about 1/2 cup). Season to taste with pepper. Sprinkle sauce with 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil. EACH SERVING (1 meatball, 1 tsp. sauce): 40 cal., 3 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 16 mg chol., 94 mg sodium, 1 g carbo., 3 g pro. Daily Values: 1% vit. A, 1% calcium, 1% iron.

5. In a saucepan combine one 10-oz. bottle sweet-and-sour sauce; 1/3 cup mango nectar; 1 tsp. chili powder; 1 large clove garlic, minced; 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lime peel; and 1/4 tsp. salt. Heat through over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. EACH SERVING (1 meatball, 1 tsp. sauce): 28 cal., 2 g total fat, 13 mg chol., 72 mg sodium, 2 g carbo., 3 g pro. Daily Values: 1% vit. A, 1% vit. C, 1% calcium, 1% iron.

6. In a saucepan melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans and 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender and pecans are toasted. Stir in 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard and 2 Tbsp. molasses. Add 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh or thawed frozen peaches. Heat through. Just before serving, stir in 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh parsley . EACH SERVING (1 meatball, 1 tsp. sauce): 35 cal., 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 14 mg chol., 55 mg sodium, 1 g carbo., 3 g pro. Daily Values: 1% vit. A, 1% vit. C, 1% calcium, 1% iron.

Course you can use real hamburger too.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Those are Swedish meatballs, right?

MMC
12-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Those are Swedish meatballs, right?

Dunno.....they using Turkey. Plus they looks kinda small to me. :laugh:

Mister D
12-10-2011, 11:26 AM

:grin: Swedish meatballs aren't your Momma's meatballs. They're these tiny things like you pasted above. I was just looking up something about Swedish meatballs and I came across this. :shocked: :laugh:

Faggots are a traditional dish in the UK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom),[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-1) especially South and Mid Wales and the Midlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_(county)) of England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England).[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-GBK-2)[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-3)[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-4)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

Mister D
12-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Turkey meatballs have become fairly popular because of the lower fat. I use lean beef and pork. Poultry just doesn't do it for me.

MMC
12-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Turkey meatballs have become fairly popular because of the lower fat. I use lean beef and pork. Poultry just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah we prefer the same. Plus we make ours a lot bigger and then you can dip ya bread right into the bowl with the meatballs.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah we prefer the same. Plus we make ours a lot bigger and then you can dip ya bread right into the bowl with the meatballs.

Now you're speaking my language, paisan. :smiley: I usually forgo the pasta and just eat meatballs and a crusty Italian bread.

Conley
12-10-2011, 11:48 AM
:grin: Swedish meatballs aren't your Momma's meatballs. They're these tiny things like you pasted above. I was just looking up something about Swedish meatballs and I came across this. :shocked: :laugh:

Faggots are a traditional dish in the UK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom),[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-1) especially South and Mid Wales and the Midlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_(county)) of England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England).[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-GBK-2)[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-3)[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)#cite_note-4)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

:rofl: WTF, that's weird. I've heard of the bundle of sticks and the cigarette but never this use of the word...

MMC
12-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Say what they eat faggots? :biglaugh:

Mister D
12-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I guess that solves the gay marriage issue in the UK. :shocked:

jgreer
12-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Those meatballs dont look good to me but i like italian food in general terms

MMC
12-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Oh, so ya likes it Hot and Spicey.....Eh?! :wink:

Mister D
12-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Those are Swedish meatballs. I'm not sure wha makes them Swedish but that's not an Italian dish.

jgreer
12-10-2011, 01:59 PM
OK I didnt want to offend you but they look gross to me

Mister D
12-10-2011, 02:22 PM
OK I didnt want to offend you but they look gross to me

They look kind of gross to me too. :wink:

MMC
12-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Looks about the size of the meatballs they put on Subway Sandwiches! Then tell all how they getting a deal! :laugh:

Mister D
12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Looks about the size of the meatballs they put on Subway Sandwiches! Then tell all how they getting a deal! :laugh:

I wouldn't know how big Subway's meatballs are. I'm surprised any Italian would...:angry:

MMC
12-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't know how big Subway's meatballs are. I'm surprised any Italian would...:angry:

Yeah I try telling my kid that all the time.....but he stills rolls in here with them. Thats even when we have made some meatballs ala Sicilliano Style. I was like see ya just wasted your money. He is like.....no I ate it! :rollseyes:

Mister D
12-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah I try telling my kid that all the time.....but he stills rolls in here with them. Thats even when we have made some meatballs ala Sicilliano Style. I was like see ya just wasted your money. He is like.....no I ate it! :rollseyes:

Nothing beats a homemade meatball sandwich. You gotta straighten him out!

MMC
12-10-2011, 03:23 PM
My youngest is a picky eater.....he gets that from his Mother, not me! But he does eat a lot of salad. I will give him that. Refuses to eat Italian Sausage but will eat a Chedder brat. Eats Pepperoni but Wont eat a Supreme pizza. Even tho he eats salads. Eats broccoli and asparagus but wont eat green beans and peas or spinach. Drove us nutz.

Seem most of the time we do not eat like a family. Basically on special occasions and we live together. Plus now he is old enough to cook for himself. Which is some microwavable or warm it out of the can stuff. Only thing I know he makes is scrambled eggs with ketchup on them. :undecided:

Mister D
12-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Broccoli and asparagus are great for you. I was impressed until I got to the ketchup part. :undecided:

I haven't eaten with anyone regularly since I moved out of my parents house. Moreover, my last few years there we rarely ate as a family either or at least I didn't join in. I don't remember when that happened but I was probably around your son's age. It's a pretty normal thing so don't fell bad about it.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
When we were kids we always ate as a family. There were no questions asked. It was expected.

Conley
12-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I've got a roast going as we're speaking.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I've got a roast going as we're speaking.

I don't think I've ever cooked a roast. Turkeys and pork tenderloins are my usual oven dishes.

I just baked a couple potatoes. Tasty.

Conley
12-10-2011, 04:56 PM
This is a little bit of an experiment. I kind of wish I had gone with a tenderloin but this was on sale and I figured what the heck. It's been cooking a few hours and it's still really rubbery. I like it to be really tender, the time it takes is of no matter!

Mister D
12-10-2011, 05:06 PM
This is a little bit of an experiment. I kind of wish I had gone with a tenderloin but this was on sale and I figured what the heck. It's been cooking a few hours and it's still really rubbery. I like it to be really tender, the time it takes is of no matter!

What kind of cut is it?

Conley
12-10-2011, 05:08 PM
For some reason I can't remember and I already threw out the package. It might come to me.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Was it a top round or bottom round? It's beef, right? Those are kind of lean. I'm not sure how best to cook them.

Conley
12-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Was it a top round or bottom round? It's beef, right? Those are kind of lean. I'm not sure how best to cook them.

This is pretty fatty...chuck roast maybe?

Mister D
12-10-2011, 09:07 PM
This is pretty fatty...chuck roast maybe?

Hmmm...not sure why it would be rubbery. I guess you're probably already eating it by now. How is it?

Conley
12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
It was just because I hadn't cooked it enough. I made a red wine reduction with it it too. :afro:

It's delicious. I love peas so I cooked them in some of the juice also.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 09:55 PM
It was just because I hadn't cooked it enough. I made a red wine reduction with it it too. :afro:

It's delicious. I love peas so I cooked them in some of the juice also.

A red wine reduction! Listen to this guy! :laugh: :cool2:

Conley
12-10-2011, 10:01 PM
A red wine reduction! Listen to this guy! :laugh: :cool2:

Hahah, ok truth is I pour some red wine in and let it simmer.

:rofl:

I'm a pimp cook bitches! I love wine. Too much, too much.... :laugh:

Conley
12-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Brussel sprouts in that meat juice would have been sexual. I keep forgetting to buy them! :angry:

Mister D
12-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Hahah, ok truth is I pour some red wine in and let it simmer.

:rofl:

I'm a pimp cook bitches! I love wine. Too much, too much.... :laugh:

:grin: That's something I should do more often. I rarely cook with wine. Tomorrow I'm making meatballs and I would pour a little wine in but I don't have any. I'm not going to buy a bottle just for that. I've used in beef soup before. Soup is what I call my beef stew because it never comes out like a stew.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Brussel sprouts in that meat juice would have been sexual. I keep forgetting to buy them! :angry:

That's a great idea for lunches, actually. You bring this to work? You could make sandwiches with meat juice or you could just make small plates with meat and veggies.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Ancient Aliens marathon is on BTW.

Conley
12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Wife has the remote so AA isn't happening :grin:

Which is fine, I'm on the computer anyhow...

Yes, I am all about the meat and veggies and various combinations of the two. I'm not that big on bread and pasta...I try to watch my weight for health reasons (like we've talked about) and I find eating those kinds of carbs leaves me hungry and honestly they don't do a lot for me flavor wise. I think there might be something there too (health wise) in terms of eating foods closer to what primitive man ate. I have heard of this paleo diet and I honestly don't know what it is but I would guess it is similar.

And as far as the wine goes, you don't need to buy a bottle just to cook with. Well, I should clarify...drink 3/4 of the bottle while you cook and put the last 1/4 in the reduction. :wink:

Mister D
12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Wife has the remote so AA isn't happening :grin:

Which is fine, I'm on the computer anyhow...

Yes, I am all about the meat and veggies and various combinations of the two. I'm not that big on bread and pasta...I try to watch my weight for health reasons (like we've talked about) and I find eating those kinds of carbs leaves me hungry and honestly they don't do a lot for me flavor wise. I think there might be something there too (health wise) in terms of eating foods closer to what primitive man ate. I have heard of this paleo diet and I honestly don't know what it is but I would guess it is similar.

And as far as the wine goes, you don't need to buy a bottle just to cook with. Well, I should clarify...drink 3/4 of the bottle while you cook and put the last 1/4 in the reduction. :wink:

I already bought my booze for the week. I have a 30 pack and some Laphroig left. I can't justify the wine.

I need the starches because of my lifestyle but I hear what you're saying. Maybe you should try more whole grains. You can't digest them nearly as quickly as white flour. Let me know if you move on this diet. I'm curious as to what it's like.

Conley
12-10-2011, 10:28 PM
It's not an intentional diet...it is more just a matter of preference. I also find that I lose weight a lot more (or keep steady) on red wine than I do beer. When I buy a case of beer invariably my weight goes up a few pounds. Same thing when I buy pasta or some freshly baked bread.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 10:40 PM
It's not an intentional diet...it is more just a matter of preference. I also find that I lose weight a lot more (or keep steady) on red wine than I do beer. When I buy a case of beer invariably my weight goes up a few pounds. Same thing when I buy pasta or some freshly baked bread.

That makes sense. Wine is 3X as strong so you drink a lot less fluid overall. I lost a little weight when I switched to whole grains. Brown rice, whole wheat bread, barley etc. etc.

Conley
12-10-2011, 10:44 PM
That makes sense. Wine is 3X as strong so you drink a lot less fluid overall. I lost a little weight when I switched to whole grains. Brown rice, whole wheat bread, barley etc. etc.

Yup, makes sense...as far as the bread and pasta the other difference is that you need the calories, I do not. I've lost weight but I still have a way to go and unlike a lot of health issues (drinking red wine for example) there's no study in existence that suggests the extra weight I'm carrying has any benefit.

Mister D
12-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Yup, makes sense...as far as the bread and pasta the other difference is that you need the calories, I do not. I've lost weight but I still have a way to go and unlike a lot of health issues (drinking red wine for example) there's no study in existence that suggests the extra weight I'm carrying has any benefit.

Excess weight is supposed to put a lot of added stress on your body. I'm not sure how much exactly. I guess it depends on your body type or whatever. These people who are 80-100 lbs overweight are taking years off of their lives.

Conley
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Definitely. And I'm nowhere near that... (5' 8" 185 and fairly muscular now) but I think even ten to twenty pounds takes years off. It's an epidemic that for whatever reason people don't recognize like they should. Smoking is taboo but being obese is given a pass. It's flat out bad.

Peter1469
12-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I will be making split pea soup tonight. Any suggestions.

Mister D
12-11-2011, 01:00 PM
The thing about smoking is that it really doesn't have any redeeming value. It's just a destructive habit. I chew tobacco but it's much better for you. Still bad but much better than burning a plant in inhaling all of those newly created carcinogens. I guess people are thinking that we all need to eat and they can always go on a diet later? :undecided: Call it vanity but if I started getting fat I'd be kind of embarrassed about it. Not everyone is but when you add the physical cost to your body and the social cost (i.e. higher insurance premiums etc.) it's totally irresponsible.

You're an inch taller than me and about 40 lbs heavier. I'm a wiry dude. You been pumping iron?

Mister D
12-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I will be making split pea soup tonight. Any suggestions.

I'm not a big fan of ham. I generally use the grease from 5-6 strips of bacon to cook the carrots, onion, and celery. I leave the meat in there. You have a boat motor (AKA immersion blender) at home, right? If I feel like going all out I use a good chicken stock as the base but I'm not sure you can tell the difference. The field peas have such a strong flavor.

Conley
12-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm not a big fan of ham. I generally use the grease from 5-6 strips of bacon to cook the carrots, onion, and celery. I leave the meat in there. You have a boat motor (AKA immersion blender) at home, right? If I feel like going all out I use a good chicken stock as the base but I'm not sure you can tell the difference. The field peas have such a strong flavor.

Bacon is a brilliant idea!

This thread is awesome. :grin:

Mister D
12-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Bacon is a brilliant idea!

This thread is awesome. :grin:

It needs some kind of meat flavoring, you know? Most people like ham with it but I'm just not a fan.

Mister D
12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Peter, I was thinking about grabbing that grass fed beef but it didn't have the fat content I was looking for. It was kind of expensive too. $8 for hamburger? Sheesh...I'll give it a shot soon enough though

Conley
12-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Peter, I was thinking about grabbing that grass fed beef but it didn't have the fat content I was looking for. It was kind of expensive too. $8 for hamburger? Sheesh...I'll give it a shot soon enough though

I would go with a real cut over hamburger, just my opinion.

Mister D
12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I would go with a real cut over hamburger, just my opinion.

I guess I could use my Ninja processor on meat. I should try that. The butcher might even do it for free. I think they do actually. I rarely eat steaks or other whole muscle cuts of beef. I get most of my beef from chili and meatballs. That's what I was thinking when I went shopping.

Conley
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I generally don't trust ground meat unless I see it being done or do it myself.

Mister D
12-11-2011, 04:53 PM
I generally don't trust ground meat unless I see it being done or do it myself.

Let's say you are going to make chili, for example. What cut would you buy? I go to a high end supermarket nearby for some of my proteins. I don't do my regular shopping there because it's overpriced but it's worth it for the better meat. It means I have to go to two stores every week but they're not far from each other.

Conley
12-11-2011, 05:11 PM
My preference is not to have ground meat in the chili...I like to cook chili for a long time, so I would use cheap cuts of beef like those you would use in stews or roasts. It doesn't have to be fancy since it will be cooking down.

Peter1469
12-11-2011, 05:22 PM
It needs some kind of meat flavoring, you know? Most people like ham with it but I'm just not a fan.

We have this type of Spanish bacon that we are going to use. And I will got with the chicken stock.

Peter1469
12-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Give it a try sometime. Just get half a pound and see how you like it. It is going to taste different from corn fed beef. It does take getting used to.

Mister D
12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
We have this type of Spanish bacon that we are going to use. And I will got with the chicken stock.

Interesting. Peppery bacon? If you don't mind spending an extra 6 bucks on a couple quarts of stock it's probably worth it. Let us know how it turns out. You can't go wrong with a pea soup.

Mister D
12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Give it a try sometime. Just get half a pound and see how you like it. It is going to taste different from corn fed beef. It does take getting used to.

Now that I know it's there it's only a matter of time.

Mister D
12-11-2011, 05:32 PM
My preference is not to have ground meat in the chili...I like to cook chili for a long time, so I would use cheap cuts of beef like those you would use in stews or roasts. It doesn't have to be fancy since it will be cooking down.

I cook it for about 3-4 hours but if I used cheap whole cuts that might be a 6 hour affair. I agree. Nothing fancy about chili.

Peter1469
12-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Interesting. Peppery bacon? If you don't mind spending an extra 6 bucks on a couple quarts of stock it's probably worth it. Let us know how it turns out. You can't go wrong with a pea soup.

It came out very well. I will have to do it again soon. I have some frozen pork ham hocks that I can use.

MMC
12-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Here we got all these men that cook. My step son is taking Chef classes. He is like all the great Cooks are men. Very few women top the lists. So it's not surpising to him that we talking about it. Then I was thinking it about it and it was like yeah. Women wish they could be as good as men when to comes to cooking. Even if it was a woman who just likes to cook. So any of you women looking thru the window. Take Notes! :tongue20:

Mister D
12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
It came out very well. I will have to do it again soon. I have some frozen pork ham hocks that I can use.

That's a good idea. I like to use pork necks in my tomato sauce. I should try those in pea soup.

Mister D
12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Here we got all these men that cook. My step son is taking Chef classes. He is like all the great Cooks are men. Very few women top the lists. So it's not surpising to him that we talking about it. Then I was thinking it about it and it was like yeah. Women wish they could be as good as men when to comes to cooking. Even if it was a woman who just likes to cook. So any of you women looking thru the window. Take Notes! :tongue20:

Men do everything better.
:grin:

Conley
12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
That's a good idea. I like to use pork necks in my tomato sauce. I should try those in pea soup.

I really like pea soup...it's great when you can find a vegetable dish that is still filling and hearty.

Mister D
12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I really like pea soup...it's great when you can find a vegetable dish that is still filling and hearty.

Peas are legumes though. They are loaded with starch and have a significant amount of protein as well not to mention the fiber.

Conley
12-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Legumes are a class of vegetable, no? I didn't know they had protein. Cool

Mister D
12-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Yepper. Beans. peas, and all that stuff.

MMC
12-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Brb.....Got to runout and pick up some Italian Beef sandwiches with peppers.

Mister D
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Italian beef sandwiches? Sounds tasty.

Mister D
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I have to thin of a dish to make this weekend. :undecided:

ritchie
12-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Hell yeah it does. I could go for a late night snack about now.

MMC
12-15-2011, 10:15 PM

Yeah this Italian Place serves it up with a bowl of peppers. Bell, Banana, Chili, and Jalepena. They're great! I get an order of Onion Rings too!

Mister D
12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah this Italian Place serves it up with a bowl of peppers. Bell, Banana, Chili, and Jalepena. They're great! I get an order of Onion Rings too!

That just made my mouth water...

MMC
12-16-2011, 10:44 AM
It was great last nite. Sandwiches are big too. Worth the 5.75! I went with the Beef and Suasage Combo. Plus it comes with the Giardiniera in some sampler bowls. Course I topped it with some mozzarella.

Mister D
12-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Yummy.

MMC
12-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Didya decide for this weekend what ya gonna have for the Games?

Mister D
12-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Nah. I was thinking about that right before I fell asleep last night too.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Now it's come to me but it's too late. I guess it's no big deal because I don't have a recipe anyway. I'll find a good one online. I figure a nice minestrone to inaugurate the winter. :cool2: I can doctor it up with some chilis.

Conley
12-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Brilliant! It's definitely minnestrone weather.

I had some crusty fresh bread from the market with smoked trout for lunch.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Brilliant! It's definitely minnestrone weather.

I had some crusty fresh bread from the market with smoked trout for lunch.

Mmmmmm...I'm not a big fan of fish but trout is delicious.

Soup will have to be next week. I settled for a few cans/cartons of high quality minestrone and Manhattan clam chowder. The later is another good idea. I'm 35 years old and I can honestly say that I've never purchased clams. The minestrone will be easy. All I'll need are some vegis, stock and dry beans. Should I buy the clams in the shell? Do they come any differently? You know how the crab meat comes already cleaned and chopped up? I wonder if they package clams that way?

Conley
12-17-2011, 05:24 PM
All good questions...I've only had clam chowder in restaurants and out of cans. Some of those seafood dishes are so much work. I love a good ciopinno but I'm not going to go to all the effort to cook that for two people.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Maybe you're right. :undecided: I might be getting involved in something that's a little more complicated than I'm bargaining for. I'll have see how the recipe reads. If there is a good chance I can ruin the soup by making a mistake then it's no dice.

MMC
12-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Agreed.....soups, chili, and hot taddies! :wink:

Conley
12-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Maybe you're right. :undecided: I might be getting involved in something that's a little more complicated than I'm bargaining for. I'll have see how the recipe reads. If there is a good chance I can ruin the soup by making a mistake then it's no dice.

Shelling everything is a pain...if you can just get the meat at the deli counter then it wouldn't be so bad, but I bet it will be pricey.

Conley
12-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Mmm, yeah I need to whip up some chili soon.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 08:13 PM

I haven't had a hot taddie in a while. I don't have a mixing scotch around. Just the single malt.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Shelling everything is a pain...if you can just get the meat at the deli counter then it wouldn't be so bad, but I bet it will be pricey.

The crab meat is outrageously expensive. I might be easy to clean some clams though. I'll have to see.

wingrider
12-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Ok all you culinary masters out there..

I just got done making 2 loaves of wheat bread and a pan of cinnomon rolls and the neither the bread or the rolls raised correctly.

Yeast is fine but no action.. why????.. over 4 hours of work and in the garbage can

Mister D
12-17-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm no baker, Wing. Different ballgame there.