PDA

View Full Version : Since when did every tragedy require a new law?

donttread
07-12-2019, 08:56 AM
I heard a limit had been put on the age requirement for this, but not according to this article. The upshot is that a tragedy occured in 2005 so in 2019 people who have been safely boating their whole life have to take and of course pay for a boating course. Add this to forcing parents and grandparents to lock their guns and making it a crime ( not a ticket but a crime) to burn your red solo cup in a camp fire.
NYS wants to be your DADDY AND your MOMMY. apparently a child tragically died in a 2005 boating accident that almost certainly would NOT have been prevented by a boating course ( you cannot teach common sense). Undoubtedly some law maker used the situation for some photo ops.
Enough is enough NYS. Are you really puzzeled as to why people are getting the hell out.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/16/lawmakers-agree-to-expand-mandatory-boating-safety-coursework/

Peter1469
07-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Ah, the nanny state.

Seems as if the law has no teeth. And the course can be taken online.

Admiral Ackbar
07-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Another version of this is requiring a ton of training and cert courses to cut hair or sell canned fruit from your yard.

I would like to say it is about money or control.. I actually think it is that Government has become a hammer looking for nails.

donttread
07-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Ah, the nanny state.

Seems as if the law has no teeth. And the course can be taken online.

For another fee here int he taxation state. I've been safely operating a boat for literally 45 or more years. I don't need an course online or not. I would also imagine that most boat accidents are due to a failure in thinking not a lack on knowledge.

Peter1469
07-12-2019, 12:32 PM
For another fee here int he taxation state. I've been safely operating a boat for literally 45 or more years. I don't need an course online or not. I would also imagine that most boat accidents are due to a failure in thinking not a lack on knowledge.

The law doesn't apply to you. If the article is correct, it is only people born after 1996.

donttread
07-13-2019, 09:38 AM
The law doesn't apply to you. If the article is correct, it is only people born after 1996.

Wasn't that the previous law? I keep hearing different things.

I checked, the article says that the new laws removes the age exemption

bulletbob
08-25-2019, 01:52 AM
I heard a limit had been put on the age requirement for this, but not according to this article. The upshot is that a tragedy occured in 2005 so in 2019 people who have been safely boating their whole life have to take and of course pay for a boating course. Add this to forcing parents and grandparents to lock their guns and making it a crime ( not a ticket but a crime) to burn your red solo cup in a camp fire.
NYS wants to be your DADDY AND your MOMMY. apparently a child tragically died in a 2005 boating accident that almost certainly would NOT have been prevented by a boating course ( you cannot teach common sense). Undoubtedly some law maker used the situation for some photo ops.
Enough is enough NYS. Are you really puzzeled as to why people are getting the hell out.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/16/lawmakers-agree-to-expand-mandatory-boating-safety-coursework/

I think its because political leaders want to be precived as doing something when mostly they have no clue as what to do

donttread
08-25-2019, 07:28 PM
I think its because political leaders want to be precived as doing something when mostly they have no clue as what to do

Exactly. Pandering. They even offer to name the law after the victim typically.

bulletbob
11-13-2019, 03:39 PM
I blame the media.

donttread
11-14-2019, 06:03 PM
I blame the media.

Good point, between the media and politicians they give the shameless a bad name.

gamewell45
11-14-2019, 06:36 PM
I blame the media.

I blame the morons who operate the boats in unsafe manner and end up killing others then themselves. It all starts with the individual; If they weren't allowed to operate boats in the first place we wouldn't have accidents. Every time they kill someone the public attacks the government and says "well, what are you going to do to prevent this from happening again?" So the government ends up with these ridiculous laws to placate the public. If it weren't for the idiots in society, we wouldn't have half the laws we have.