PDA

View Full Version : Educational scam

spunkloaf
11-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm posting some quotes lifted off of Facebook from my cousin. Intelligent debate is in the blood I guess.

"This generation was misled to beleive that if you went to college and earned a degree you would earn a lot of money. They were led to believe that anyone who works at a job with a uniform, or requires a bit of sweat were failures. They were told that student loans are an investment in their future. They earned the degrees in record numbers, and took out record amounts of student loans. The previous generation now tells them they never told them a degree would make them richer and they should just shut up and take the jobs they earned the degrees and debts to avoid. The same jobs they were conditioned to believe would make them failures. And it is their fault.

"consider this. 1968-69 (when our parents would have gone to college (plus or minus a couple of years)) tuition at the U of M was $385/semester. Federal Minimum wage was 1.25/hr. A college kid needed to work about 7 hours/week to pay for tuition. 2011 tuition at U of M was $12K/semester. Federal minimum wage is 7.25/hr. A college kid needs to work 35 hours to pay for tuition."

I'm sickened by the amount of debt I owe, so much that I refuse to pay it. I have nothing to show for it. the school charged me way too much for something I never even completed, and now the banks are taking my tax refunds from me.

My own fault. I knew it wasn't going to work. but I trusted it. I knew that going to school would be way too easy to make that much money, and that it logically didn't work. but they all told me that it would work out. Now nobody is around to help me figure a way out of it, not even my parents can help.

GRUMPY
11-10-2011, 02:56 PM
well if intelligent debate is in the blood then it is apparent that both you and your cousin are in dire need of a transfusion.....so life has no guarantees, majoring in underwater basket weaving may not merit a hefty salary or any at all, sometimes one has to work for what they want and your cousin exhibits no sense of shame in sharing his intentions to screw the taxpayers.....so just who is scamming who in this occupy my momma's basement tragedy.....

jgreer
11-10-2011, 02:58 PM
It is a scam. Our parents told us all we had to do was go to college and we'd have the American Dream. But college got more and more expensive and then we ended up owing more money then we could ever earn while their generation got rich off us and our trust. Student loan interest rates should be capped, it is usury which is a crime in the Bible this crew is so happy to quote.

Conley
11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
well if intelligent debate is in the blood then it is apparent that both you and your cousin are in dire need of a transfusion.....so life has no guarantees, majoring in underwater basket weaving may not merit a hefty salary or any at all, sometimes one has to work for what they want and your cousin exhibits no sense of shame in sharing his intentions to screw the taxpayers.....so just who is scamming who in this occupy my momma's basement tragedy.....

:roflmao: This is vintage Grumpy - comedy gold :D :D :D

I have no doubt Spunk can provide a worthy comeback ;)

GRUMPY
11-10-2011, 03:22 PM
It is a scam. Our parents told us all we had to do was go to college and we'd have the American Dream. But college got more and more expensive and then we ended up owing more money then we could ever earn while their generation got rich off us and our trust. Student loan interest rates should be capped, it is usury which is a crime in the Bible this crew is so happy to quote.

and this ladies and gentlemen is why i support denying the vote to anyone who has not worked within the private sector full time, for at least five years, and is 30 years of age....the exception being military personnel....so jgeer your beef is really with your parents, grab some of your poor put upon brethren and occupy their home if you aren't already....say maybe tonight over dinner you could explain to them how they have totally screwed you and obviously themselves as well...

Mister D
11-10-2011, 03:33 PM

and this ladies and gentlemen is why i support denying the vote to anyone who has not worked within the private sector full time, for at least five years, and is 30 years of age....the exception being military personnel....so jgeer your beef is really with your parents, grab some of your poor put upon brethren and occupy their home if you aren't already....say maybe tonight over dinner you could explain to them how they have totally screwed you and obviously themselves as well...

:D

MMC
11-10-2011, 03:35 PM

What do you mean they got rich off yous.....first off they worked for what they got in life. Second most parents from the 50 and 60 sacrificed themselves so their kids could go to school and have the education. Most wanted their kids to out do them have more than what they did. Or things they never did.

Also they paid for the kids to go to school and or took on their kids debt. Then it changed. Then it was about grants from the Fed, grants from the state. Loans. But just who was it that wanted parents to entrust their kids with Credit cards. To handle those little things that a kid would need on a college Campus. Even had commercials selling the idea of giving kids credit. When they should have been taught not to borrow. Not to pay later with interest. Given in to instant gratification.

Then in the late 70's 2 yrs schools for the state started poping up and all jumped on that bandwagon. Buisness Management etc etc. But go look at the books from the 50's and 60's. They didnt teach much back then either about running a buisness. Then it was law Schools. Art Schools. Degrees in Sociology and Psycology. All from the Liberal Arts of Curriculum. College Universities being taken over by liberal professors. Moving most away from the hard sciences. Engineering, Architectual and geological and technical.

Kids making the choices and not listening. Refusing to look at other options. Just like todays generation. The difference back then from now.....us kids growing up then knew one thing. We didnt step out into the world thinking we deserved anything. We know it had to be earned or worked for. Even if one was looking to take the easy way out he would still have to work for it.

jgreer
11-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't mean my parents specifically got rich off me, i mean that generation the bankers and the people who profit from those loans with the 30% interest. if you think about it though that whole generation made money off us because they had stock investments like iras and such in those banks and the profits were money that came from our pockets. its only the rich who got richer i don't mean normal moms and pops sorry

Captain Obvious
11-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Who said one would be guaranteed a good paying job with a college degree?

This is the liberal mindset at it's best, expect to have everything handed to you. Like grumpy suggested, getting a schlocky degree will land you a schlocky job. You have to earn that job after you have earned a degree - that's the obvious answer that is clear to everyone except liberals.

And this is the irony with the jobless OWS dirtbags. They're out there lawlessly disrupting commerce because the protest seems like a cool thing to do but at the end of the day, if they focused their energy to getting a quality education coupled with working hard, they could be earning those huge bonuses that WS execs are being paid.

Nothing is stopping them other than their complacency.

Mister D
11-10-2011, 05:48 PM

This is the liberal mindset at it's best, expect to have everything handed to you. Like grumpy suggested, getting a schlocky degree will land you a schlocky job. You have to earn that job after you have earned a degree - that's the obvious answer that is clear to everyone except liberals.

And this is the irony with the jobless OWS dirtbags. They're out there lawlessly disrupting commerce because the protest seems like a cool thing to do but at the end of the day, if they focused their energy to getting a quality education coupled with working hard, they could be earning those huge bonuses that WS execs are being paid.

Right. No one said that.

Peter1469
11-10-2011, 05:49 PM
The costs of college got out of control as the federal government provided more assistance to students.

Peter1469
11-10-2011, 05:51 PM

Right. No one said that.

I would disagree, at least in the world of law school.

Law Schools routinely publish employment data that is misleading at best and fraudulent at worse.

jgreer
11-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Actually more OWS people have jobs than the Tea Party

look at this

http://www.dangerousminds.net/images/uploads/afiles/OWSvsTeaParty.jpg

jgreer
11-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Right. No one said that.

I would disagree, at least in the world of law school.

Law Schools routinely publish employment data that is misleading at best and fraudulent at worse.

Exactly. They all do it not just law schools. Its a big lie.

Captain Obvious
11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't know what law schools publish as data nor do I really care. It's irrelevant. Like any other high powered degree, if you have a law degree from a reputable school and you couple that with work ethic, you will not fail.

Again, the missing factor that a lot of people don't consider is that you still have to earn your keep. Getting the best tools Craftsman makes doesn't make you a master mechanic, you actually have to do the job well.

And it doesn't matter what Craftsman says about their tools, it's probably over-inflated. At the end of the day you still need to do the best job you can do with those tools that you purchased.

This all seems like yet another reason for deadbeat liberals to justify not getting an education and not working hard to earn their keep.

Simple as that.

spunkloaf
11-10-2011, 07:51 PM

That was said by me.

And I am paying for it with my own taxes, as I stated. Douche.

Actually my cuz is a lawyer and he does alright. He has a family. A house.

And I don't live in my mom's basement. I rent my aunt's attic. :D But it's a huge place and it's clean. BTW my family is successful, intelligent, and clean. And liberal. Just sayin... because you seem to picture me as scrubby.

Peter1469
11-11-2011, 06:45 AM
I don't know what law schools publish as data nor do I really care. It's irrelevant. Like any other high powered degree, if you have a law degree from a reputable school and you couple that with work ethic, you will not fail.

Again, the missing factor that a lot of people don't consider is that you still have to earn your keep. Getting the best tools Craftsman makes doesn't make you a master mechanic, you actually have to do the job well.

And it doesn't matter what Craftsman says about their tools, it's probably over-inflated. At the end of the day you still need to do the best job you can do with those tools that you purchased.

This all seems like yet another reason for deadbeat liberals to justify not getting an education and not working hard to earn their keep.

Simple as that.

Actually that is not true about law degrees. The lawyer market is very over-saturated. People graduate with very high debt loads after 4 years of undergrad and 3 years of law school. Over the last three years as many as 50% of law school graduates have gotten any job in the legal field.

Even in good times, only a small percent, perhaps 15% get the high paying jobs. Average starting salary of $160K in Big Law.

The ones who don't get the Big Law jobs have an average starting salary of $40-75K depending on where they are in the country. If you have $200K in student loans that doesn't go far. You still have to pay for rent on top of that.

And if you are in the bottom 50% and can't get a legal job you cannot pay your student loan debt.

If student loans were still dischargable in bankruptcy we would not have seen tuition increase so much relevant to the rest of economy, and we would likely not have seen the glut of law graduates.

GRUMPY
11-11-2011, 09:58 AM
dc is populated with.....lawyers.....and peter, a lawyer has just made the argument that lawyers really aren't that bright or are at least challenged by 3rd grade arithmetic, no wonder we find ourselves $15 trillion in debt.....seriously, clearly whether education, healthcare or housing we have established systems where ones ability to pay is no longer connected to the service or object of desire....this artificially drives prices thru the roof, in the case of housing a scenario where the market predictably implodes while education is dumbed down to cater to as many as possible and worse still we find ourselves not just saturated but "over-saturated" with......lawyers.....
spunk,jgeer you serve as evidence that we have spawned a culture of occupiers, the one shared core principle being that you are owed and of course everybody else is screwed....

spunkloaf
11-13-2011, 10:53 PM
dc is populated with.....lawyers.....and peter, a lawyer has just made the argument that lawyers really aren't that bright or are at least challenged by 3rd grade arithmetic, no wonder we find ourselves $15 trillion in debt.....seriously, clearly whether education, healthcare or housing we have established systems where ones ability to pay is no longer connected to the service or object of desire....this artificially drives prices thru the roof, in the case of housing a scenario where the market predictably implodes while education is dumbed down to cater to as many as possible and worse still we find ourselves not just saturated but "over-saturated" with......lawyers.....
spunk,jgeer you serve as evidence that we have spawned a culture of occupiers, the one shared core principle being that you are owed and of course everybody else is screwed....

OMG that was so funny, even though everything I do completely contradicts how you just described me. ::)

You are a douche.

You think you got liberals pegged and all figured out.

Double douche bag.

spunkloaf
11-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Hey Grumpy. Which lawyer made the argument that lawyers are not bright or are at least challenged by 3rd grade arithmetic? Maybe you can provide an example instead of a shoddy opinion. Only people who are full of themselves talk the way you do.

I guess I don't see you doing much to contrast how you describe other people.

spunkloaf
11-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Nobody on the planet thinks they should get something for nothing. People just have varying degrees of expectations for results.

Assholes like to bash liberals, that has nothing to do with conservatism.

GRUMPY
11-14-2011, 02:23 PM

OMG that was so funny, even though everything I do completely contradicts how you just described me. ::)

You are a douche.

Double douche bag.

yes son i have liberals figured out, they are all at some level stuck on stupid.....as you my itsy bitsy parasitic manchild why oh why would anyone waste a scintilla of time or thought figuring you out, tripe and whine no less and certainly no more.....

Conley
11-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Tripe? Tripe is delicious.

O0

spunkloaf
11-14-2011, 05:51 PM

You are a douche.

Double douche bag.

yes son i have liberals figured out, they are all at some level stuck on stupid.....as you my itsy bitsy parasitic manchild why oh why would anyone waste a scintilla of time or thought figuring you out, tripe and whine no less and certainly no more.....

You need a couch and a $300/hr therapist for your problems dude.

GRUMPY
11-14-2011, 08:24 PM

You are a douche.

Double douche bag.

now see there in lies the difference between you a lib and me a conservative....you will buy a couch and pay for a therapist some $300/hr to help me with what ever you perceive to be my problems to be....i on the other hand would snatch you off the couch, put a boot up your ass, not give a damn as to whether i solved your problems in much less than an hour and absolutely free of charge.....dudette.....spunk you have been a constant in two respects you rarely if ever make a lick of sense and you are always complaining....this thread is no different, life done did you wrong.....

Captain Obvious
11-14-2011, 08:32 PM
I can see grumpy being this guy:

Geico Drill Sergeant Therapist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfmVBmDKLZI#)

Mister D
11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Ya jack wagon! >:(

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 07:54 PM

You are a douche.

Double douche bag.

now see there in lies the difference between you a lib and me a conservative....you will buy a couch and pay for a therapist some $300/hr to help me with what ever you perceive to be my problems to be....i on the other hand would snatch you off the couch, put a boot up your ass, not give a damn as to whether i solved your problems in much less than an hour and absolutely free of charge.....dudette.....spunk you have been a constant in two respects you rarely if ever make a lick of sense and you are always complaining....this thread is no different, life done did you wrong.....

Dude quit talking out your ass and learn how to make a respectable argument about something you care about for a change.