PDA

View Full Version : Why Volunteering Is Wrong

Devil's Advocate
02-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Following are three reasons why volunteering is wrong and should be banned:

One, it supports rejects taking care of rejects. That is those who volunteer are those who have been rejected by society and are looking for a way to be appealing in their communities. Likewise, those who need volunteer services are rejects who are desperate for help. Volunteering allows social rejectors to get away with rejection.

Two, it allows for hypercompetitive vanity. Again, those who volunteer are looking for a way to be appealing in their communities. This encourages a rat race where people sacrifice their dignity, time, energy, and attention in exchange for nothing just to integrate and assimilate. In turn, everyone becomes expected to sacrifice themselves.

Three, it encourages "nice guy" syndrome. Those who sacrifice themselves are doing so with the hope and expectation that they'll get something in exchange in the future despite not asking others in advance. Some of them will rationalize that this is altruism, but altruism is a lie we tell ourselves when we're trying to make penance for being guilt tripped.

To be clear, I'm not denying that volunteering is effective. What I'm saying is that quantitative effectiveness is qualitatively unjustified. It encourages society to depreciate its own self-respect and self-esteem just to come away with a sense of achievement without thinking about what it's working for.

What say you?

Adelaide
02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm a volunteer for several organizations because I want to help people, educate people, and hopefully change the way people think about a certain subject. It is also rewarding to know when I've helped someone. It has nothing to do with wanting to appeal to anyone; I don't include many of my activities on my resume.

Mister D
02-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Following are three reasons why volunteering is wrong and should be banned:

One, it supports rejects taking care of rejects. That is those who volunteer are those who have been rejected by society and are looking for a way to be appealing in their communities. Likewise, those who need volunteer services are rejects who are desperate for help. Volunteering allows social rejectors to get away with rejection.

Two, it allows for hypercompetitive vanity. Again, those who volunteer are looking for a way to be appealing in their communities. This encourages a rat race where people sacrifice their dignity, time, energy, and attention in exchange for nothing just to integrate and assimilate. In turn, everyone becomes expected to sacrifice themselves.

Three, it encourages "nice guy" syndrome. Those who sacrifice themselves are doing so with the hope and expectation that they'll get something in exchange in the future despite not asking others in advance. Some of them will rationalize that this is altruism, but altruism is a lie we tell ourselves when we're trying to make penance for being guilt tripped.

To be clear, I'm not denying that volunteering is effective. What I'm saying is that quantitative effectiveness is qualitatively unjustified. It encourages society to depreciate its own self-respect and self-esteem just to come away with a sense of achievement without thinking about what it's working for.

What say you?

I say all three are mere assertions.