PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Classic Today

Conley
11-11-2011, 12:18 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1111/ncb_a_usscarlvinson_600.jpg

With only 700 tickets available (most of the 7,000 seats in the open-air stands are reserved for the five branches of the military), officials had to decide how to divvy them up. The solution: about 100 to the chancellor's office, about 100 to the basketball office and roughly 500 to the Rams Club, the athletic department booster organization. The largest donors shelled out $4,000 per couple to help defray any school expenses not covered by the game's promoters.

Then there was the packing. With weather conditions in flux -- the latest forecast predicted a high of 69 degrees, with a 20 percent chance of rain, but who knows? -- the team had to ponder more than ever how many layers to take. Long-sleeved T-shirts in case the wind crept in? Long socks?

The Tar Heels brought along both, head manager Teon Watson said, making sure that the extra clothes were in color-sync with the special Carolina blue-and-white camouflage uniforms the players will don Friday.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/Veterans-111111/a-look-life-uss-carl-vinson-site-carrier-classic-college-basketball

I have to admit I am curious to see this. Not sure about using one of carriers for this purpose but I want to see how they set it up.

Mister D
11-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Looks amazing though

Conley
11-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Yep, I'm going to look around for some better photos later on today. I bet it will look spectacular on TV and they'll no doubt show a time elapsed video of how they put it all together.

Mister D
11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Hopefully they make a lot more this than it costs. :-\

Conley
11-11-2011, 12:50 PM
As far as I can tell some combination of Quicken Loans (who is sponsoring it) and private donations are funding this. It's not at all clear and you make a good point. Running an aircraft carrier is not cheap.

Mister D
11-11-2011, 01:00 PM
As far as I can tell some combination of Quicken Loans (who is sponsoring it) and private donations are funding this. It's not at all clear and you make a good point. Running an aircraft carrier is not cheap.

So it's like a morale boost for the troops? That's cool. 8)

Conley
11-11-2011, 01:20 PM

So it's like a morale boost for the troops? That's cool. 8)

Well, I guess so...Only 7,000 get to watch though. If I weren't one of the lucky ones and had to do extra work to put this on my morale would probably suffer. Then again I'm cranky. ;D I just don't want any tax bucks going to this, peripherally or otherwise. I think it's unavoidable. Ah, screw it.

Conley
11-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Wow, it looks super cool but Obama is using it to campaign, giving a speech to the nation. ::)

I guess I'll choose to look on the bright side and just note he is paying his respects to the vets ;D

Mister D
11-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I just saw NC do their line up thing or whatever. I don't watch African round ball. ;D It looks like a cool if expensive setup.

Conley
11-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I just saw NC do their line up thing or whatever. I don't watch African round ball. ;D It looks like a cool if expensive setup.

:roflmao:

MMC
11-12-2011, 01:52 AM

http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/roflmao.gif ::) :D

MMC
11-12-2011, 02:34 AM
I hate when they use the Military for their own Political Ends. Yet this was to give Thanks for Vets. Wonder how much this little extravaganza cost the American taxpayer?

Conley
11-12-2011, 08:43 AM
It was to give thanks to the vets but I wonder how many vets actually got to watch it? I mean there were so few seats and so many of them were given to high ranking folks and many to the booster clubs of both teams. I guess if it made vets happy to watch on TV then it was worth it.

MMC
11-12-2011, 09:06 AM
It was to give thanks to the vets but I wonder how many vets actually got to watch it? I mean there were so few seats and so many of them were given to high ranking folks and many to the booster clubs of both teams. I guess if it made vets happy to watch on TV then it was worth it.

Well it did give Obama a Second appearance on TV to tell all how he got Congress to work together to take care fo these vets and their families. At least he emphasized on the hiring of handicapped Vets this time.

Conley
11-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Well it did give Obama a Second appearance on TV to tell all how he got Congress to work together to take care fo these vets and their families. At least he emphasized on the hiring of handicapped Vets this time.

Well even though he's doing it for partly political gain it is good to remind people of vets and the need to care for them. That shouldn't be just one day out of the year either but every day.