PDA

View Full Version : Really good pasta salad!

oceanloverOH
02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
I made this today to go with ham steaks for dinner tonight, so I thought I'd post it. About a year ago, I decided to try developing my own pasta salad recipe because the boxed stuff was nasty and I didn't care for those that I tried at different deli's. It took me forever to get the spices and vegetables balanced right! This is a very hearty pasta salad with lots of vegetables; if you added cooked cubed chicken or pepperoni to it (with maybe a little more dressing to keep it moist), you would have a meal. Feel free to add in or sub whatever veggies you like. I can't eat them, but most people like a little minced raw onion or scallions in this salad. I have subbed broccoli for the peas and it was really good. Enjoy!

Ocean's Homemade Pasta Salad

½ box Rotini pasta (I use Dreamfields)
½ cup mayo
½ packet (about 1½ Tbsp) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp paprika
½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 packet Splenda or 2 tsp sugar
¼ cup milk
1/3 cup frozen green peas
1/3 cup fresh shredded carrot (I buy a bag of already-shredded carrots from my grocery)
2 Tbsp thinly sliced celery
2 Tbsp finely chopped bell pepper, any color (I like red or yellow in this salad)
1 2-oz can sliced black olives, drained
1½ - 2 Tbsp imitation bacon bits (don't get soggy like real bacon)

Cook rotini per package directions, about 9 minutes, drain in colander, rinse with cold water, drain again until pasta is cool.

Mix dressing: in very large bowl, add mayonnaise, ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper, parsley and Splenda or sugar. Stir in milk and mix well. Add cooled drained pasta on top but don't mix yet.

Place peas and carrots in small covered microwaveable dish. Add 1/3 cup water, cover, and microwave for 5 min. Drain in same colander, rinse with cold water, drain again until vegetables are cool.

Add all vegetables and bacon bits to pasta and dressing. Mix all together gently, but very thoroughly.

Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before eating. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and halved cherry tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Serves about 4.

Peter1469
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Sounds good. I swap yellow mustard (or other mustard types) for the mayo.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
I made this today to go with ham steaks for dinner tonight, so I thought I'd post it. About a year ago, I decided to try developing my own pasta salad recipe because the boxed stuff was nasty and I didn't care for those that I tried at different deli's. It took me forever to get the spices and vegetables balanced right! This is a very hearty pasta salad with lots of vegetables; if you added cooked cubed chicken or pepperoni to it (with maybe a little more dressing to keep it moist), you would have a meal. Feel free to add in or sub whatever veggies you like. I can't eat them, but most people like a little minced raw onion or scallions in this salad. I have subbed broccoli for the peas and it was really good. Enjoy!

½ cup mayo
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp paprika
1 Tbsp dried parsley
¼ cup milk
1/3 cup fresh shredded carrot (I buy a bag of already-shredded carrots from my grocery)
2 Tbsp finely chopped bell pepper, any color (I like red or yellow in this salad)

Cook rotini per package directions, about 9 minutes, drain in colander, rinse with cold water, drain again until pasta is cool.

Mix dressing: in very large bowl, add mayonnaise, ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper, parsley and Splenda or sugar. Stir in milk and mix well. Add cooled drained pasta on top but don't mix yet.

Place peas and carrots in small covered microwaveable dish. Add 1/3 cup water, cover, and microwave for 5 min. Drain in same colander, rinse with cold water, drain again until vegetables are cool.

Add all vegetables and bacon bits to pasta and dressing. Mix all together gently, but very thoroughly.

Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before eating. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and halved cherry tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Serves about 4.

Sounds great, though I would leave out the olives (really hate olives).

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Sounds good. I swap yellow mustard (or other mustard types) for the mayo.
Have you ever tried cutting the mayo half and half with sour cream and adding horseradish mustard (dijon plus horseradish).

Peter1469
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Have you ever tried cutting the mayo half and half with sour cream and adding horseradish mustard (dijon plus horseradish).

Yes, I sometimes do cut the mayo with other stuff.

shaarona
03-30-2013, 10:52 AM

½ cup mayo
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp paprika
1 Tbsp dried parsley
¼ cup milk

The addition of Ranch dressing would be a nice touch......

oceanloverOH
03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
The addition of Ranch dressing would be a nice touch......

Um....ranch dressing mix is part of the recipe....lol

shaarona
03-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Um....ranch dressing mix is part of the recipe....lol

I noticed.. Had never tried that.. Sounds delish.