PDA

View Full Version : Man in noose attack made to write lynching essay

Cigar
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Hjtdq S04D2Nwb$VGIdVxrM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYu0laQ_bjh$gn3 uhAAGMSb9WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

CHICAGO—A northern Illinois man who helped put a noose around the neck of an African American teenager has been sentenced to probation and ordered to write an essay on the history of lynching in the United States.

A Cook County judge also ordered 19-year-old Matthew Herrmann of Alsip to read his paper to the victim of the attack and other community members at an event known as a "peace circle."

The Chicago Sun-Times reports ( http://bit.ly/WiaKLn) that Herrmann was initially charged with felony counts of committing a hate crime, unlawful restraint and battery. But under a deal with prosecutors, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery.

Prosecutors say Herrmann and two other white accomplices attacked 17-year-old Joshua Merritt in 2011, putting the noose around his neck and threatening him with a knife.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_22687138/man-noose-attack-made-write-lynching-essay

Get's away with Homework ... :azn:

I know someone who lives in Alsip Illinois and it's right next door to Robbins Illinois ... and trust me, you can't get any Black'er than Robbins Illinois. I'm betting the smart money on this guy will not be living in Alsip much longer one way or another ... if he's smart and really fast.

Chris
02-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Probably should have gotten worse but I don't know all the details.

Cigar
02-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Probably should have gotten worse but I don't know all the details.

I'm betting the teenager has friends in neighboring Robbins Illinois ... they are known for getting even in that area.

Chris
02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

~WB Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Mister D
02-28-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm betting the teenager has friends in neighboring Robbins Illinois ... they are known for getting even in that area.

Indeed. It's a high (violent) crime area and almost all black. Black on black crime is a vexing issue.

Adelaide
02-28-2013, 07:48 PM

Vigilantism isn't the solution. Advocating for more violence and hatred is not the solution.

It sounds like he got off easy, but like Chris, I do not know all the details.

Mister D
02-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Vigilantism isn't the solution. Advocating for more violence and hatred is not the solution.

It sounds like he got off easy, but like Chris, I do not know all the details.

Cigar likes to post these stories so as to distract from 1) the fact that we do not have a gun problem in the US but a cultural problem in communities of color and 2) the fact that a black man has exponentially more to fear from other black men than he does neo-Nazis, KKK, etc.