PDA

View Full Version : Makers: PBS Documentary on the Modern Feminist Movement

IMPress Polly
03-02-2013, 12:06 PM
It's the start of National Women's History Month and about a week until International Women's Day. I think hence this is the perfect occasion on which to reflect on the history of the American feminist movement, and more particularly of its modern incarnations. The new three-part PBS documentary linked here (http://www.makers.com/documentary) is pretty much the Bible on this subject, at least in as far as its coverage of the movement's history from the early 1960s until around the turn of the century goes. (The last decade gets kind of glossed over in this documentary, but nonetheless it does a EXCELLENT job of covering most of the history of the modern feminist movement.) Though mainly this comes from perspectives within the movement itself (as would be appropriate for the aforementioned occasions after all), the views of a number of detractors are presented as well, so all viewers should be able to find something here to their liking.

Gloria Steinem is featured prominently, among other things, which made this particularly worthwhile viewing to me, as someone who kind of looks up to her in particular in regards to gender politics, but also significantly in regards to general life philosophy. One also learns why I use the term "women's lib" from time to time in describing my views. It's not just another generic term for feminism. As you'll learn at the link, it describes a specific type of feminist thought. Those were a couple of the biggest highlights for me, but the whole thing is really, really well done. I can't recommend it enough!

Peter1469
03-02-2013, 01:28 PM
I will check it out after I finish with another audio clip.

Adelaide
03-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I'll have to check it out.

Reading "The Female Eunuch" was really a turning point for me in terms of feminism. 40 years late, but I found myself agreeing with all the points made by Germaine Greer. Now I continually seek out more information and more perspectives on feminism and what it means to be a feminist - which is different for everyone. It is particularly interesting to compare western feminism to international feminism and the different focuses and goals. I read a book called "Feminism Without Borders" not too long ago which sort of laid it out for me in terms of how the feminist movements differ across the world.

Peter1469
03-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Feminism also made strides in the armed forces: http://www.womenshealth.va.gov/WOMENSHEALTH/womenshistory.asp