PDA

View Full Version : What movies will you watch over and over again?

Dr. Who
03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Just watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind for the umpteenth time. Still love that movie.

Conley
03-09-2013, 09:07 PM
2001 Memento and American Beauty

Agravan
03-09-2013, 09:08 PM
The Outlaw Josie Wales

Peter1469
03-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Apocalypse Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3Cc7wlfkI

Chloe should appreciate this one!

KC
03-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Pretty much any movie by David Fincher or Quentin Tarantino.

Dr. Who
03-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Apocalypse Now

Great movie. I have watched it several times.

hanger4
03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
The Wind and the Lion,

with Sean Connery, Candice Bergen and Brian Keith.

The Lord of the Rings troligy.

Lawrence of Arabia,

with Peter O'Tool.

Several John Wayne movies;

The Searchers, Red River, Hondo, to name a very few.

I've watched Band of Brothers several times,

About the exploits of the 101st Airborne Division in WWII.

Had a great uncle, would have been, that was 101st, he passed at the Battle of the Bulge.

Conley
03-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Pretty much any movie by David Fincher or Quentin Tarantino.

Fincher directed at least one episode of House of Cards and I think is pretty involved with it...

Chris
03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Shane

Dr. Who
03-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Casablanca
Die Hard movies
E.T.
Some like it Hot
Ice Age movies (CGI)
Apocalypse Now
Hamburger Hill
The Hunt for Red October

Just to name a few.

Conley
03-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Shane

Shane brought me back to TPF :wink:

Peter1469
03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Apocalypse Now

When my unit crossed into Iraq a day before Desert Storm officially started, our Psy-ops guys played this track on their big speakers. Ride of the Valkyrie. It was a trip.

Only two enemy dogs got away. And we missed them. Our commander had us doing pushups in the sand over that. He was really pissed off. Those were good times.

Boris The Animal
03-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Most of the Star Trek movies
The Green Mile
Men In Black movies (esp. MiB3)
etc.

Captain Obvious
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Monty Python's Holy Grail - I could watch that 3 times a week.

My 9yr old can recite the bridge of death scene verbatim.

Dr. Who
03-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Monty Python's Holy Grail - I could watch that 3 times a week.

My 9yr old can recite the bridge of death scene verbatim.
Love that movie too. Not repeated often enough on TV.

Captain Obvious
03-09-2013, 11:17 PM
"just answer the five questions"...

... "three questions, sir"

Mister D
03-09-2013, 11:44 PM
I must have watched Taxi Driver 20 times or more in my late teens.

Mister D
03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
I also loved Platoon even though I know it's anti-war and anti-American propaganda.

Conley
03-09-2013, 11:47 PM
I also loved Platoon even though I know it's anti-war and anti-American propaganda.

Definitely. And what's your beef with a pointless war?!? :angry: :afro: :grin:

Mister D
03-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Definitely. And what's your beef with a pointless war?!? :angry: :afro: :grin:

:smiley: Great movie.

That said, it was a political film. So was All Quiet on the Western Front. Or political novel I should say. Remarque and Stone both played with the truth and spoke for men that they had no right to speak for.

Captain Obvious
03-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Speaking of Platoon - did anyone see the roast of Charlie Sheen on Comedy Network?

It was pretty good. John Lovitz had a great line. "How much coke can Charlie do? Enough to kill two and a half men".

KC
03-10-2013, 12:21 AM
I forgot to mention another one of my all time favorite directors, Mel Brooks. I have a copy of every major film he's done, but in particular I love Blazing Saddles, The Producers and A History of the World, Part I

oceanloverOH
03-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Any of the Star Trek movies (yes, I can quote dialogue, I'm ate up)
Any Harry Potter movie

And, being the old movie buff that I am:
Gone With the Wind
The King and I or any of the other classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals
Casablanca
The African Queen
The Wizard of Oz
It Happened One Night
Battle Cry, Pork Chop Hill, Sands of Iwo Jima, The Longest Day, The D.I. or any of the old war movies

Boris The Animal
03-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Any Harry Potter movie

Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
The African Queen
The Wizard of Oz
It Happened One Night
Battle Cry, Pork Chop Hill, Sands of Iwo Jima, The Longest Day, The D.I. or any of the old war moviesOn that note a trivia question: We know William Shatner's acting career included time in the Canadian Theatre. But, the question is, who was he understudy to (Hint: They starred together in STVI: The Undiscovered Country)?

Peter1469
03-10-2013, 09:27 AM
On that note a trivia question: We know William Shatner's acting career included time in the Canadian Theatre. But, the question is, who was he understudy to (Hint: They starred together in STVI: The Undiscovered Country)?

His name is James Tiberius Kirk....

Dr. Who
03-10-2013, 11:33 AM
On that note a trivia question: We know William Shatner's acting career included time in the Canadian Theatre. But, the question is, who was he understudy to (Hint: They starred together in STVI: The Undiscovered Country)?
Christopher Plummer?

oceanloverOH
03-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Ooooo, one I didn't know, had to look it up. Very good, Dr. Who, you get a gold star! It was Christopher Plummer and I didn't know that. Thanks, Boris The Animal!

Boris The Animal
03-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Ooooo, one I didn't know, had to look it up. Very good, @Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612), you get a gold star! It was Christopher Plummer and I didn't know that. Thanks, @Boris The Animal (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=658)!
The Shakespearian theme of STVI was Tailor made for Plummer. His execution of those lines was masterful.

Boris The Animal
03-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Any Harry Potter movie

Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
The African Queen
The Wizard of Oz
It Happened One Night
Battle Cry, Pork Chop Hill, Sands of Iwo Jima, The Longest Day, The D.I. or any of the old war movies oceanloverOH, in your list of war movies, do you consider more recent works like Full Metal Jacket among your favorites?

oceanloverOH
03-10-2013, 12:03 PM
The Shakespearian theme of STVI was Tailor made for Plummer. His execution of those lines was masterful.

The Wrath of Khan will always be my favorite. Khan liked to quote a famous bit of literature too......I'm sure you remember what it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYT8YHL-R0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPsoxpt0BU

oceanloverOH
03-10-2013, 12:04 PM
@oceanloverOH (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=494), in your list of war movies, do you consider more recent works like Full Metal Jacket among your favorites?

No, not really. I loved the DI in that movie, and the first half was excellent....but I didn't care much for the second half.

Chris
03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
High Noon.

Pretty much any movie with Gary Cooper, or John Wayne, or Bogart especially if Lauren Bacall costars.

Dr. Who
03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
The Wrath of Khan will always be my favorite. Khan liked to quote a famous bit of literature too......I'm sure you remember what it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYT8YHL-R0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPsoxpt0BU

It was great seeing Montalban in something other that Chrysler commercials (soft Corinthian Leather!) and Fantasy Island. Always thought he was a rather underrated actor. One of my favorite of the Star Trek series was STIV - The Voyage Home. I guess because it had a lot of humor, much like the original series.

Chloe
03-10-2013, 05:11 PM
In no particular order:

The Harry Potter movies
The Notebook
500 Days of Summer
Inglourious Basterds
Wall-E
Love Actually
Bridesmaids
There Will Be Blood
Lawrence of Arabia
Knocked Up
Blazing Saddles
The Dark Knight
The Hangover
Once
Mean Girls
Charlie St. Cloud
Catch Me if You Can
The Nightmare Before Christmas

I know this is a lot and i'm sure there are a lot more that I could think of but those movies would last me a good while

Chloe
03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Apocalypse Now

I've never seen it. I've heard of it of course.

Chloe
03-10-2013, 05:18 PM
The Wind and the Lion,

with Sean Connery, Candice Bergen and Brian Keith.

The Lord of the Rings troligy.

Lawrence of Arabia,

with Peter O'Tool.

Several John Wayne movies;

The Searchers, Red River, Hondo, to name a very few.

I've watched Band of Brothers several times,

About the exploits of the 101st Airborne Division in WWII.

Had a great uncle, would have been, that was 101st, he passed at the Battle of the Bulge.

Lawrence of Arabia is a great movie. I stayed home from school once when I was sick and it was on TV so I watched it and now I've seen it several times.

Peter1469
03-10-2013, 05:18 PM
I've never seen it. I've heard of it of course.

Now that you saw the clip, I am sure that it is at the top of your list. :smiley:

Chloe
03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Now that you saw the clip, I am sure that it is at the top of your list. :smiley:

oh sure right at the top

Captain Obvious
03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
In no particular order:

The Harry Potter movies
The Notebook
500 Days of Summer
Inglourious Basterds
Wall-E
Love Actually
Bridesmaids
There Will Be Blood
Lawrence of Arabia
Knocked Up
Blazing Saddles
The Dark Knight
The Hangover
Once
Mean Girls
Charlie St. Cloud
Catch Me if You Can
The Nightmare Before Christmas

I know this is a lot and i'm sure there are a lot more that I could think of but those movies would last me a good while

I watched There Will be Blood a few years ago when I was on the road a lot and a month or two - around Christmas time me and my wife went to the office Christmas party, just us - no kids and we went back to my camper for that night. Yes I had my way with her, but we Netflix'd There Will Be Blood because I wanted to watch it again.

Not my wife's kind of movie but she watched it and said it was pretty good as far as "those movies you have to think about" go.

Peter1469
03-10-2013, 05:26 PM
oh sure right at the top

That is what I thought. :wink:

You should watch the regular version. The extended version has nudity and sex it in.

Chloe
03-10-2013, 05:26 PM
I have seen some legitimate war movies though. I saw Saving Private Ryan for example. Other than like the first half hour and the last half hour it was a really good movie.

Chris
03-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Mr Smith Paul Goes to Washington.

Chloe
03-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I watched There Will be Blood a few years ago when I was on the road a lot and a month or two - around Christmas time me and my wife went to the office Christmas party, just us - no kids and we went back to my camper for that night. Yes I had my way with her, but we Netflix'd There Will Be Blood because I wanted to watch it again.

Not my wife's kind of movie but she watched it and said it was pretty good as far as "those movies you have to think about" go.

Yeah the first time I watched it I liked it but I wanted to watch it again right afterwards, and then after the second time i really liked it a whole lot more. Great acting in it.

Captain Obvious
03-10-2013, 05:28 PM
And I see a lot of Mel Brooks fans here which is encouraging.

Of my top whatever movies, Mel has a few of them in there.

In no particular order:

Blazing Saddles
History of the World (P1)
MP's Meaning of Life
MP's Holy Grail
Kung Pow
Austin Powers (first - the other two sucked)

Idiocracy gets good mention, but I wouldn't put it in the top tier.

Peter1469
03-10-2013, 05:28 PM
I have seen some legitimate war movies though. I saw Saving Private Ryan for example. Other than like the first half hour and the last half hour it was a really good movie.

It got boring after the first hour and a half.

We Were Soldiers Once, was a great one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPr9g3EVz-o

Captain Obvious
03-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah the first time I watched it I liked it but I wanted to watch it again right afterwards, and then after the second time i really liked it a whole lot more. Great acting in it.

For the first like 15 minutes of the movie there's no spoken dialogue. At one point my wife looks at me and asks me if it's a silent movie.

Chloe
03-10-2013, 05:32 PM
It got boring after the first hour and a half.

We Were Soldiers Once, was a great one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPr9g3EVz-o

I'm just not really big on the very intense battle scene stuff

Peter1469
03-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm just not really big on the very intense battle scene stuff

Figures.

KC
03-10-2013, 05:35 PM
And I see a lot of Mel Brooks fans here which is encouraging.

Of my top whatever movies, Mel has a few of them in there.

In no particular order:

Blazing Saddles
History of the World (P1)
MP's Meaning of Life
MP's Holy Grail
Kung Pow
Austin Powers (first - the other two sucked)

Idiocracy gets good mention, but I wouldn't put it in the top tier.
Meaning of life is so great. IMO the best Monty Python movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Captain Obvious
03-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Meaning of life is so great. IMO the best Monty Python movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Yeah, I can't really watch this one with my 9yr old though so I haven't seen it again in a while.

One of the best moments (and worst to an extent) was when my older kids turned 18ish. I could then watch all of the good stuff with them.

Peter1469
03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Conan the Barbarian is up there too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

KC
03-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I can't really watch this one with my 9yr old though so I haven't seen it again in a while.

One of the best moments (and worst to an extent) was when my older kids turned 18ish. I could then watch all of the good stuff with them.

Really? My dad showed me Blazing Saddles sometime early in middle school. Granted I didn't quite get all of the jokes then, but we always watched stuff like this.

Mister D
03-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Conan the Barbarian is up there too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Classic. That and the original Terminator were his two best films, IMHO.

Captain Obvious
03-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Yeah, but aside the racial stuff there's really nothing of "adult material" in there.

Meaning of life - he's not ready for that nor would he get a lot of it anyway.

Captain Obvious
03-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Now, having said that he has seen the grim reaper and Mr. Creosote scenes on youtube.

hanger4
03-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Lawrence of Arabia is a great movie. I stayed home from school once when I was sick and it was on TV so I watched it and now I've seen it several times.

First movie I saw in a theater,

I was 10 at the time.

KC
03-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Yeah, but aside the racial stuff there's really nothing of "adult material" in there.

Meaning of life - he's not ready for that nor would he get a lot of it anyway.

That's true, as long as you don't worry too much about the scenes between Sheriff Bart and Lili Von Shtupp

oceanloverOH
03-10-2013, 06:22 PM
That's true, as long as you don't worry too much about the scenes between Sheriff Bart and Lili Von Shtupp

"Oh, it's twue. It's twue, IT'S TWUE!" LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Pete7469
03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Red Dawn (the old one, won't even dignify the new one), Gran Torino, Blow, No Country for Old Men and Garfield.

Captain Obvious
03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
I saw Gran Torino a few times, I didn't get it.

I really like Eastwood but his acting was... over the top rhetorical. Like he was taking lessons from William Shattner.

The first time I watched it, I stuck with it just to see if it was going to turn into some sort of spoof.

Pete7469
03-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I saw Gran Torino a few times, I didn't get it.

I really like Eastwood but his acting was... over the top rhetorical. Like he was taking lessons from William Shattner.

The first time I watched it, I stuck with it just to see if it was going to turn into some sort of spoof.

You're the first person I've heard a negative review of that flick from.
I've known a few people that had things in common with that character I quess that's why I like it so much.

Captain Obvious
03-10-2013, 06:59 PM
It's not negative so much, it just didn't flow well for me.

The story line was ok but it really, really comes off as campy for me - and while I like campy shit, I don't think that was the movies intention.

Pete7469
03-10-2013, 07:02 PM
It's not negative so much, it just didn't flow well for me.

The story line was ok but it really, really comes off as campy for me - and while I like campy shit, I don't think that was the movies intention.

I will say I didn't like how it ended. I wanted him to kill everyone at that gang's house, go home and go to sleep. I suppose it was better they way they did it though.

Threeup63
03-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Forrest Gump!

Drumline!

Private Pickle
03-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Braveheart. Star Wars.