PDA

View Full Version : Soda Ban Delayed!

KC
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
A New York state judge has knocked down New York City's landmark new ban on big, sugary drinks, just one day before it was set to take effect.
Calling them "arbitrary and capricious," state Supreme Court Justice Milton Tingling on Monday invalidated regulations that would have banned New York City restaurants, movie theaters and other food service establishments from serving sugary drinks in sizes bigger than 16 ounces. The ban would have covered not just sodas but a wide array of other sugar-sweetened drinks, from smoothies to coffee.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/03/11/174037195/judge-overturns-new-york-city-ban-on-big-sugary-sodas

Hell yeah New York State Supreme Court! New York's economy (and waistlines) will be quickly expanding as long as this stays overturned.

zelmo1234
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
I would like to be a fly on the wall of the Mayor's office, I will bet there are some temper tantrum's going on in there!!!

Captain Obvious
03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
NY is a great example of legislature run amok.

If there is a political party out there that is designed to lobby for the reduction of our legislators - state and fed, I might be in it soon.

We need to get rid of legislators - cut the numbers in half, stop the needless, nanny, frivolous lawmaking and focus on shit that is needed. It's a huge waste of taxpayer resources in the current model.

KC
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM

If there is a political party out there that is designed to lobby for the reduction of our legislators - state and fed, I might be in it soon.

We need to get rid of legislators - cut the numbers in half, stop the needless, nanny, frivolous lawmaking and focus on shit that is needed. It's a huge waste of taxpayer resources in the current model.

Interesting, so the number of legislators is part of the problem?

Captain Obvious
03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Only part.

I'm pissing in the wind, btw.

Chloe
03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Honestly the proposed soda ban thing didn't really bother me all that much, granted I don't live in NYC. I know that it's easy to put it down and condemn it, but I don't know, it just didn't make me upset or anything like that. I do think that if you are going to start banning sugary drinks then you need to do more than just 32 ounce cups.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Honestly the proposed soda ban thing didn't really bother me all that much, granted I don't live in NYC. I know that it's easy to put it down and condemn it, but I don't know, it just didn't make me upset or anything like that. I do think that if you are going to start banning sugary drinks then you need to do more than just 32 ounce cups.

Your freedoms are under assault.

What if our legislators in their wisdom decide... say hip hop music is bad and decides to ban it. Or donuts (wait, they banned them already) - or say... milkshakes.

Or whatever. This has to stop.

KC
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Your freedoms are under assault.

What if our legislators in their wisdom decide... say hip hop music is bad and decides to ban it. Or donuts (wait, they banned them already) - or say... milkshakes.

Or whatever. This has to stop.

I had an incident with a milkshake earlier today, I'd be fine with that. The doc said I might be developing lactose intolerance.

Conley
03-11-2013, 05:31 PM
I think the thing is really nuts personally. Also can't you just buy two of the next smaller size?

KC
03-11-2013, 05:31 PM

People should be free to buy sugary drinks. It's not like people don't know that the stuff is bad for them. They do it anyway because they enjoy it. What makes one person happy isn't the same as what makes another person happy, so we gotta leave people free to do as they please, as long as they aren't hurting others.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I think the thing is really nuts personally. Also can't you just buy two of the next smaller size?

That will be banned soon.

Chloe
03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Say for example if it didn't get banned but instead was just heavily taxed or priced differently. That could also help reduce obesity and make people think twice about the quick grab and go of junk food on the run if instead of $3 for the bag of chips or the large soda it was $8.

Conley
03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I can understand the crackdown on smoking because 2nd hand smoke hurt a lot of people...so, if you're looking for the next big public health thing to crack down how about booze? I would think that causes a lot more damage to innocent bystanders than fatties do. What's worse, 64 oz of Vodka or 64 oz of Diet Coke? :grin:

Peter1469

Yes Nanny Chloe. What else must I not do to protect myself?

On second thought, forget that I asked. :shocked:

Conley
Say for example if it didn't get banned but instead was just heavily taxed or priced differently. That could also help reduce obesity and make people think twice about the quick grab and go of junk food on the run if instead of $3 for the bag of chips or the large soda it was $8.

In other words -- movie theater prices :)

Captain Obvious
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Yes Nanny Chloe. What else must I not do to protect myself?

You could probably start by taking that viscous killing, meat-eating machine off of your arm.

:grin:

Chloe
03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
In other words -- movie theater prices :)

Make something like soda a dollar an ounce and people will very quickly give it up :)

Captain Obvious

That is already happening. Beer, cigarettes, the fast-food taxes.

Moreso in NY where nanny legislation is rampant.

Like everything else, if you give an inch...

This is why this madness has to stop, now.

KC

Why is that a good thing? People will still buy it, they'll just be poorer.

Chloe
03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
That is already happening. Beer, cigarettes, the fast-food taxes.

Moreso in NY where nanny legislation is rampant.

Like everything else, if you give an inch...

This is why this madness has to stop, now.

I would argue the true madness is a person ordering a diet coke with his super sized meal from McDonalds.

Chloe
03-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Why is that a good thing? People will still buy it, they'll just be poorer.

Only the die hards would probably still buy it, but the good thing could be that obesity starts to go down, the amount of money we spend on healthcare for obesity, diabetes, and so on could go down, and so on.

KC
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Only the die hards would probably still buy it, but the good thing could be that obesity starts to go down, the amount of money we spend on healthcare for obesity, diabetes, and so on could go down, and so on.

But the people who drink soda now have already thought this through for themselves. For them, the cost of being obese or risking diabetes is lower than the price of enjoying soda or other sugary stuff. That might not sound rational, but when you think about it life is short, some people just wanna spend it enjoying themselves.

Conley
03-11-2013, 05:57 PM

Yes, a ton of taxpayer medical $$$ goes to pay for the results of all this obesity...healthy people are subsidizing people who dont take care of themselves

Conley
03-11-2013, 05:58 PM
But the people who drink soda now have already thought this through for themselves. For them, the cost of being obese or risking diabetes is lower than the price of enjoying soda or other sugary stuff. That might not sound rational, but when you think about it life is short, some people just wanna spend it enjoying themselves.

This might seem cold but I dont really want to pay for someone else slowly killing themselves...imo the #1 problem is that all healthcare is too expensive (and the costs are rigged) but not sure how much progress we can make on that...the #2 problem is that diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure etc is all very treatable with diet and lifestyle choices. It's possible to enjoy life and still be healthy...in fact I'd say that's easier than the alternative

KC
03-11-2013, 06:04 PM
This might seem cold but I dont really want to pay for someone else slowly killing themselves...imo the #1 problem is that all healthcare is too expensive (and the costs are rigged) but not sure how much progress we can make on that...the #2 problem is that diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure etc is all very treatable with diet and lifestyle choices. It's possible to enjoy life and still be healthy...in fact I'd say that's easier than the alternative

It is possible to enjoy life and be healthy, but not everyone cares about that. As for the price of health care, I think people who make unhelathy choices should be charged higher rates. That would make it easier for others to afford health care and would provide an incentive to be healthier. Again, people who could care less can indulge. Same with smoking.

Conley
03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
It is possible to enjoy life and be healthy, but not everyone cares about that. As for the price of health care, I think people who make unhelathy choices should be charged higher rates. That would make it easier for others to afford health care and would provide an incentive to be healthier. Again, people who could care less can indulge. Same with smoking.

Ideally yes but there are a lot of people who aren't paying those rates...you and I are

If you agree those people should pay more then I think it makes sense to take the money at the beginning of the transaction (like tax on cigarette packs) than down the line, and if it discourages obesity so much the better right?

KC
03-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Ideally yes but there are a lot of people who aren't paying those rates...you and I are

If you agree those people should pay more then I think it makes sense to take the money at the beginning of the transaction (like tax on cigarette packs) than down the line, and if it discourages obesity so much the better right?

The difference (for me) is that if your insurance company charges you a higher rate due to your smoking, it's a free choice and you can leave that company. You can't avoid a tax on cigarettes though.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
The difference (for me) is that if your insurance company charges you a higher rate due to your smoking, it's a free choice and you can leave that company. You can't avoid a tax on cigarettes though.

Sure you can, buy them from the Iroquois.

Conley
03-11-2013, 06:46 PM

But there are a lot of people who's insurance comes through the government. We have 48 Million people on Medicare...granted some of them have partial coverage also but either way that's a lot of $$$ we are spending on preventable disease

KC
03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
But there are a lot of people who's insurance comes through the government. We have 48 Million people on Medicare...granted some of them have partial coverage also but either way that's a lot of $$$ we are spending on preventable disease

Correct. I don't think it's such a great idea for us to be subsidizing so many people's health insurance, at least permanently (I can see the need for temporary assistance, but not a permanent basis no). It's hard for me to be sympathetic, I haven't been covered under any insurance plan since I was a lot younger, but I guess I'm lucky that now in college I can visit the university health center which is paid for in our tuition.

Dr. Who
03-11-2013, 08:58 PM
I not particularly into bans of any kind, but I do think many people are fairly ignorant about the amount of sugar in sodas. It doesn't usually register unless they're shown the pile of sugar that's actually in that supersized drink.

roadmaster
03-11-2013, 10:38 PM
I cannot believe all of you. Next they will take away coffee, tea ect and you will agree. People die every day that live healthy and have genes that has nothing to do with what they eat. Why not just give the police consent to arrest anyone driving with a soda? I have known vegetarians to have strokes and people who didn't believe in taking anything such as aspirin or smoke come down with cancer. One thing I am sure they won't go after is drinking because most of them do.

roadmaster
03-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Not only that how many of you have ever been to a children's hospital? You have 3 year olds with cancer and other problems that haven't had a chance to make bad decisions. I just lost a friend that made all the right decisions and ended up with liver failure. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks and died. It was a shock and this guy was a health nut so to speak.

Trinnity
03-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Bloomberg is a nazi and new yorkers should toss him. He's a jerk.

Cigar
03-12-2013, 07:57 AM

I say in a couple years ... we'll be rid of an entire political party. :grin:

Trinnity
03-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Say for example if it didn't get banned but instead was just heavily taxed or priced differently. That could also help reduce obesity and make people think twice about the quick grab and go of junk food on the run if instead of $3 for the bag of chips or the large soda it was $8.Be careful what you wish for and the power you choose to give govt over your life.

Peter1469
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I say in a couple years ... we'll be rid of an entire political party. :grin:

Not that you will really notice. Two sides of the same coin....

simpsonofpg
03-12-2013, 01:14 PM
the gov't has enoght real things to do beside tell me what to eat and how much. A billionaire like Bloomberg has not idea how I live or what I need. he just want to get reelected. It is about power, not right or wrong.

Captain Obvious
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Not that you will really notice. Two sides of the same coin....

It doesn't matter to Cigar, he hasn't the capacity to figure that out.

He has a favorite team, the baseball cap, $300 jersey and he's going to root for them no matter what.

Captain Obvious
03-15-2013, 10:18 PM
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/03/12/sodaban-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg?0f5c31de35bf4ef88a50c2e35ee 3bc4da4bf3083