PDA

View Full Version : Hiking

Just AnotherPerson
11-03-2019, 11:16 AM
There is something about being in the outdoors with your feet on the earth. Looking out at vistas, and epic mountain peaks. It opens up your heart in a way that makes it feel like the whole universe is coming through. When I am in nature, is when I am most happy. Perhaps that's why I live in the woods. I wanted to share some great heart opening videos with anyone who is interested.

First vid is of this amazing man Joe Hendricks hiking Mt Ellinor. If you like his style, he has tons more vids on his channel. Here is a link. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbsD29OU9zqyIMxomASYn-A

https://youtu.be/S8C30xHOz4w?list=PL4gr8nbj1qS4dmcK2Q0JAsxW6uUxMswW t

Just AnotherPerson
11-03-2019, 11:19 AM
The second video I want to share is one that is so wonderful and heart opening. I love this one. The hikers in this vid, are really beautiful people. They are hiking the Pacific Crest trail. This is a trail that is over 2600 miles long. It begins at the Mexico border and ends at the Canada border. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Trail I have dreamed of hiking it for the last 10 years. Not sure if I will ever do it, but would love to.

https://youtu.be/v8A0ad_2mPc?list=PL4gr8nbj1qS4dmcK2Q0JAsxW6uUxMswW t

Peter1469
11-03-2019, 11:24 AM
I love hiking. I wish that I could do more of it, but my feet and knees are run down from the army.

Just AnotherPerson
11-03-2019, 11:26 AM
The third video I would like to share is by Kraig Adams, he is amazing. I love the way he captured the beauty of his surroundings. He is hiking 90 miles alone in spain. He has other hiking videos at his channel, I imagine others are worth the watch as well, here is a link. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpnuadQ_w3r6f4Q_NRlqd-w There are hundreds of videos online where people document their hiking experience. I tried to find the most heart opening and best quality videos. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

https://youtu.be/l3S59EfTfP0?list=PL4gr8nbj1qS4dmcK2Q0JAsxW6uUxMswW t

Just AnotherPerson
11-03-2019, 11:28 AM
I love hiking. I wish that I could do more of it, but my feet and knees are run down from the army.

I know what you mean. I have serious nerve dammage in my spine. I have trouble with my balance a bit. I am not sure how that would work out on mountan ridges, Lol. But you never know what the future brings. But for now short hikes and easier trails are still dooable and still just as heart opening.

Peter1469
11-03-2019, 11:32 AM
I know what you mean. I have serious nerve dammage in my spine. I have trouble with my balance a bit. I am not sure how that would work out on mountan ridges, Lol. But you never know what the future brings. But for now short hikes and easier trails are still dooable and still just as heart opening.
I can do day trips. I do have nerve damage.

AZ Jim
11-03-2019, 11:51 AM
We have a three way bond of physical disabilities. JAP, Pete and me, but we had our day.....

Just AnotherPerson
11-03-2019, 12:07 PM
I can do day trips. I do have nerve damage.

I'm glad you can still do daytrips. There are plenty of amazing hikes for daytrips. I live in the Pacific Northwest so I am close to amazing trails. New trails are only a few hours drive away if I wish to go. I do have a hike on the agenda. I have my eyes set on the Staircase, in the Olympic National Forest. I couldn't really find a great video, but here is one just go give the idea. But I am so going to hike this.

https://youtu.be/rp3G8teSPV4

Common
11-03-2019, 12:21 PM
I grew up looking at old decrepit buildings, and trash and debrie laying around. You would almost have to look straight up to see the sky because of the buildings.

When I moved to fla my wife and I would take our Beach Chairs our iced tea and Umbrella and go sit by the gulf and just look at the water and talk.

Im a yankee city boy all my life and Ive lived in fla for going on 16 yrs, I have close friends in texas, georgia, tennessee and mississippi and north carolina

If I could do my life all over again from day 1 and I had a choice, I would want to growup in the south.
A vet friend in the VFW said being poor in the north is alot worse than being poor in the south, I said why, he said because we at least could grow some produce and fruit and hunt. Valid point really, even though people had chicken and pigeon coups on roofs until someone squealed an they got busted by the health dept.

Just AnotherPerson
11-03-2019, 12:37 PM
I grew up looking at old decrepit buildings, and trash and debrie laying around. You would almost have to look straight up to see the sky because of the buildings.

When I moved to fla my wife and I would take our Beach Chairs our iced tea and Umbrella and go sit by the gulf and just look at the water and talk.

Im a yankee city boy all my life and Ive lived in fla for going on 16 yrs, I have close friends in texas, georgia, tennessee and mississippi and north carolina

If I could do my life all over again from day 1 and I had a choice, I would want to growup in the south.
A vet friend in the VFW said being poor in the north is alot worse than being poor in the south, I said why, he said because we at least could grow some produce and fruit and hunt. Valid point really, even though people had chicken and pigeon coups on roofs until someone squealed an they got busted by the health dept.
It's so sad, that is what it is like for so many. They are trapped in a cement prison totally cut off from nature. I don't know for me it feels like we were meant to be in nature. It makes something happen in your heart, something comes alive. It doesn't matter where as long as it is out in nature, be it sitting on the edge of the Ocean feeling the waves crash towards the shore, or breathing among the pines. It just feels like that's where we were meant to be.

It's wonderful that you and your wife would sit on the beach like that. You know what else? They say that there are tons of children alive today who have never even seen a night sky in their life. I cant imagine that. Since I was a baby my dad would lay a blanket out and the whole family would cuddle together on that one blanket and watch the stars. We would fall asleep to the sound of crickets, the cool fragrance summer breeze and the sight of countless stars gleaming among the heavens. That is valuable beyond words. Everyone should have that experience.

gamewell45
11-03-2019, 01:57 PM
The Appalachian trail is but a 90 second drive from my house. It's not uncommon to see hikers crossing the road; sometimes you'll see them hiking into town for food/drink/ect.

Back in the late 1970's I did the trail up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire; spent almost 3 weeks on the trail; great experience but today all i'd be good for was a day trip at my own pace.

Common
11-03-2019, 02:51 PM
It's so sad, that is what it is like for so many. They are trapped in a cement prison totally cut off from nature. I don't know for me it feels like we were meant to be in nature. It makes something happen in your heart, something comes alive. It doesn't matter where as long as it is out in nature, be it sitting on the edge of the Ocean feeling the waves crash towards the shore, or breathing among the pines. It just feels like that's where we were meant to be.

It's wonderful that you and your wife would sit on the beach like that. You know what else? They say that there are tons of children alive today who have never even seen a night sky in their life. I cant imagine that. Since I was a baby my dad would lay a blanket out and the whole family would cuddle together on that one blanket and watch the stars. We would fall asleep to the sound of crickets, the cool fragrance summer breeze and the sight of countless stars gleaming among the heavens. That is valuable beyond words. Everyone should have that experience.
Truth is you dont know because you were born and raised there, big wide open spaces are intimidating and city folks see in every horror movie everything bad always happens in the woods or the mountains. lol

You dont know what your missing until you see it

Just AnotherPerson
11-03-2019, 03:03 PM
The Appalachian trail is but a 90 second drive from my house. It's not uncommon to see hikers crossing the road; sometimes you'll see them hiking into town for food/drink/ect.

Back in the late 1970's I did the trail up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire; spent almost 3 weeks on the trail; great experience but today all i'd be good for was a day trip at my own pace.

That is so awesome Gamewell. That must have been such an amazing experience. So you can do day hikes on the Appalachian, that is great!!! I watched a few vids on the Appalachian trail. The hikers say it is a 6 month hike. That is no joke. But there are plenty of day hikes on that trail.

https://youtu.be/zeklb3oOmU8

gamewell45
11-03-2019, 04:12 PM
That is so awesome Gamewell. That must have been such an amazing experience. So you can do day hikes on the Appalachian, that is great!!! I watched a few vids on the Appalachian trail. The hikers say it is a 6 month hike. That is no joke. But there are plenty of day hikes on that trail.

https://youtu.be/zeklb3oOmU8

Yes it was an awesome experience to say the least; you can hike the trail from Maine to Georgia and as you mentioned it normally takes around six months to complete it if you stick to it every day.

You really have to be in shape if you are going to traverse the trail the entire distance; usually 2 or 3 times per year we (vol. fire dept rescue) have to go on the trail and help the forest rangers remove someone who's injured themselves or had a heart attack.

nathanbforrest45
11-03-2019, 04:30 PM
I once hiked from one side of the Appalachian Trail to the other. It was in Hot Springs NC where the trail crosses highway 25/70 which is on its way to Asheville NC. It was exhausting to say the least.

By the way, this website takes up more room than does Hot Springs! The 106 Bridge Street shown on the map is Highway 25/70 and just to the east of it is the Trail.

https://www.hotspringsnc.org/

Just AnotherPerson
11-04-2019, 09:04 AM
I once hiked from one side of the Appalachian Trail to the other. It was in Hot Springs NC where the trail crosses highway 25/70 which is on its way to Asheville NC. It was exhausting to say the least.

By the way, this website takes up more room than does Hot Springs! The 106 Bridge Street shown on the map is Highway 25/70 and just to the east of it is the Trail.

https://www.hotspringsnc.org/

That's awesome!!! Did it take you the whole 6 months? What month did you start in? I am wondering if that overlaps into winter snows for some of the hike?

nathanbforrest45
11-04-2019, 10:32 AM
That's awesome!!! Did it take you the whole 6 months? What month did you start in? I am wondering if that overlaps into winter snows for some of the hike?

Re-read my post. I did not say I hiked from one end to the other. I said I hiked one side to the other.

Just AnotherPerson
11-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Re-read my post. I did not say I hiked from one end to the other. I said I hiked one side to the other.

My bad. I can see how it must have been exhausting then, Lol. I thought you were a thru hiker, my bad......

Just AnotherPerson
11-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Here is another really well done hike in Glacier National Park, by "The Duthchmen". They also have tons more vids, here is thier channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOk03SPpDvItHCDQAJljqUA The quality is superb.

https://youtu.be/x7GkebUe6XQ

Just AnotherPerson
04-25-2020, 04:33 AM
Hiking 80 Miles Alone on the Torres Del Paine Trail in Chile (Video of hike ends 15:13)

https://youtu.be/sCTY0Ll_KeY

Lummy
04-25-2020, 01:55 PM
Hiking 80 Miles Alone on the Torres Del Paine Trail in Chile (Video of hike ends 15:13)

https://youtu.be/sCTY0Ll_KeY

@ 6:45 that pass I believe has a rather dark story, which I don't remember because it's been a few years since I saw it on cable, but that won't stop me. One or more peeps got lost in a white out and froze to death there -- something like that. I remember seeing this pass on the program from about the same spot, but I don't remember the program or what happened exactly.

They get a lot of adventue traffic, eh? You can tell because everything is well maintained and new-ish, and of course, you eventually see a lot of peeps too.

Yeah, Patagonia is a hiking and camping mecca. Lots of granola munchers. This guy is a travel writer? Approximately professional or at least semi-professional hiker.

Beautiful thread. Thanks.

jigglepete
04-25-2020, 02:10 PM
Nice subject JAP.

In my prime, I hiked the Long Trail (so I also did the 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail where they coexist) 272 miles up Vermont from the Mass. border to Canada. My knees don't let me hike like that anymore, but there are so many day hikes I guess it really doesn't matter. I also went to a summer tripping (that's hiking trips for you hippies) camp. The younger groups would do three or four day stretches, including trail and shelter maintenance, while the older groups would do much larger and longer chunks, and actually have built shelters humping in the materials for that and trail maintenance. What a camp!

Tahuyaman
04-25-2020, 03:30 PM
Screw that. I spent a career hiking hills and toting a heavy ruck. I’ll drive, park and walk maybe as far as a half mile.

donttread
04-26-2020, 08:08 AM
There is something about being in the outdoors with your feet on the earth. Looking out at vistas, and epic mountain peaks. It opens up your heart in a way that makes it feel like the whole universe is coming through. When I am in nature, is when I am most happy. Perhaps that's why I live in the woods. I wanted to share some great heart opening videos with anyone who is interested.

First vid is of this amazing man Joe Hendricks hiking Mt Ellinor. If you like his style, he has tons more vids on his channel. Here is a link. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbsD29OU9zqyIMxomASYn-A

https://youtu.be/S8C30xHOz4w?list=PL4gr8nbj1qS4dmcK2Q0JAsxW6uUxMswW t

The power and beauty of nature helps with many things including perspective.

Tahuyaman
04-26-2020, 03:37 PM
Friends of mine from Kansas came to Washington for a visit. They wanted to go see some mountains up close. We took them up to the Olympics and took in hurricane ridge. It was a nice clear day and the view was awesome.

I thought that I'd take them into the Olympic national rain forest to check it out. As we were driving into a heavily wooded area, I noticed that they were kind of cowering in my car. I asked them if there was something wrong. They said that the trees were so huge that they were freaking them out. They asked if I would turn around and let them view the forest from a distance.

My friend's wife said that she doesn't know how people can live in such an environment.

Just AnotherPerson
05-17-2020, 04:04 PM
This is a wonderful documentary. This guy and his son hike the Inca trail to Machu Pichu. This is the best documentary I have ever watched on Machu Pichu. I love this.

https://youtu.be/A7RoI_PskKo

donttread
06-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Nice subject JAP.

In my prime, I hiked the Long Trail (so I also did the 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail where they coexist) 272 miles up Vermont from the Mass. border to Canada. My knees don't let me hike like that anymore, but there are so many day hikes I guess it really doesn't matter. I also went to a summer tripping (that's hiking trips for you hippies) camp. The younger groups would do three or four day stretches, including trail and shelter maintenance, while the older groups would do much larger and longer chunks, and actually have built shelters humping in the materials for that and trail maintenance. What a camp!

I've heard of that trail. There is actually a sign for an airport off one of the high peaks trails. That struck me funny, two very different means of travel connected somehow.

Just AnotherPerson
10-12-2022, 05:26 PM
Joe and Linda hike Snoqualmie pass. I love the fall colors. These guys always make me smile.

https://youtu.be/OhOD1SmvNFE

donttread
10-17-2022, 05:31 PM
We have a three way bond of physical disabilities. JAP, Pete and me, but we had our day.....

All I got is bad knees and a little sciatica . Plenty to curtail my hiking. Ten years and I the wife and I did a couple of high peaks and I even ran up to 4 miles.
Now, I've had to stop my daily walks due to the knees. Not forever, just to give this right one time to heal from this particular flare up.
It's artritis but it's bad and has taken out three of my ligaments including both ACL's
I'm not suffering from nerve damage and some of what you all are but I can relate a little especially since I am driven to outdoor activity.

Just AnotherPerson
10-17-2022, 05:45 PM
All I got is bad knees and a little sciatica . Plenty to curtail my hiking. Ten years and I the wife and I did a couple of high peaks and I even ran up to 4 miles.
Now, I've had to stop my daily walks due to the knees. Not forever, just to give this right one time to heal from this particular flare up.
It's artritis but it's bad and has taken out three of my ligaments including both ACL's
I'm not suffering from nerve damage and some of what you all are but I can relate a little especially since I am driven to outdoor activity.

Have you ever tried cortisone shots in your knees? I used to have trouble with my knees and ankles when I was younger. I sprained my ankle and it stretched the ligament and I would re-sprain it all the time, and because the one was injured it would cause me to sprain the other one. Then I tore a ligament in the back of my knee, it's like that one sprain led to all kinds of other injuries. The body tried to compensate and ended up getting injured. My knees will still act up but not nearly as bad as when I was younger.

I hope you heal soon so you can get back to walking.

donttread
10-18-2022, 06:49 AM
Have you ever tried cortisone shots in your knees? I used to have trouble with my knees and ankles when I was younger. I sprained my ankle and it stretched the ligament and I would re-sprain it all the time, and because the one was injured it would cause me to sprain the other one. Then I tore a ligament in the back of my knee, it's like that one sprain led to all kinds of other injuries. The body tried to compensate and ended up getting injured. My knees will still act up but not nearly as bad as when I was younger.

I hope you heal soon so you can get back to walking.

Thanks, but I'm past that. I've struggled with my knees forever. But didn't know the extent of it until I had an MRI which explained two major acute injuries I had over recent years and much more. Like why my knees are always warm to the touch and swollen.
The steroid shots no longer help, some relief but only a couple of weeks, the gel injections have failed miserably and they can't even drain off the fluid and baker's cyst because "they'll come right back"
Had I been properly diagnosed when I had the tears, especially the complete ACL tear it might be different. But once they see arthur on that x-ray nothing else matters and they simply go through the pre prescribed steps. Steroids, PT, Gel etc.
Now it's total knee and for that I have to lose some weight on these knees. LOL

Just AnotherPerson
10-23-2022, 08:24 AM
Thanks, but I'm past that. I've struggled with my knees forever. But didn't know the extent of it until I had an MRI which explained two major acute injuries I had over recent years and much more. Like why my knees are always warm to the touch and swollen.
The steroid shots no longer help, some relief but only a couple of weeks, the gel injections have failed miserably and they can't even drain off the fluid and baker's cyst because "they'll come right back"
Had I been properly diagnosed when I had the tears, especially the complete ACL tear it might be different. But once they see arthur on that x-ray nothing else matters and they simply go through the pre prescribed steps. Steroids, PT, Gel etc.
Now it's total knee and for that I have to lose some weight on these knees. LOL

That really sucks.

donttread
10-23-2022, 08:27 AM
That really sucks.

Well I certainly haven't helped my own cause with my weight and bull it vs get the right tool aor help attitude. At least there is a partial fix in time

Just AnotherPerson
10-23-2022, 08:37 AM
Well I certainly haven't helped my own cause with my weight and bull it vs get the right tool aor help attitude. At least there is a partial fix in time
Are you going to get the replacement surgery? They say it's really painful to heal from that.

donttread
10-23-2022, 08:51 AM
Are you going to get the replacement surgery? They say it's really painful to heal from that.

Eventually. But my sister has been in a hospital for 2 months due to an infection from a hip replacement so I'm a bit spooked right now. Plus I have to lose weight

Just AnotherPerson
10-30-2023, 11:09 PM
Overnight Alone in the Three Fingers Lookout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDrFyhjmxDk