PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Calls on Assad to Step Down in Syria

Conley
11-15-2011, 08:38 AM
BEIRUT, Lebanon — Against a backdrop of mounting Arab pressure on President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, activists on Tuesday reported mounting violence, with more than 50 people killed on Monday, making it the highest death toll on a single day in months.

The latest tally of bloodletting came a day after King Abdullah of neighboring Jordan added his voice on Monday to the growing calls for Mr. Assad to relinquish power, becoming the first Arab leader on Syria’s doorstep to call for a change in government to end the increasingly bloody political uprising there.

The Jordanian monarch’s remarks, made in an interview with the BBC, came with Mr. Assad still smarting from the Arab League’s unexpectedly strong rebuke over the weekend with its decision to suspend Syria’s membership. Syria also faced additional sanctions imposed Monday by the European Union.

“I believe, if I were in his shoes, I would step down,” King Abdullah told the BBC. “If Bashar has the interest of his country, he would step down, but he would also create an ability to reach out and start a new phase of Syrian political life.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/world/middleeast/death-toll-mounts-in-syria-along-with-outside-pressure.html

Now with Jordan turning on them Syrian government is becoming even more isolated. They have lost all their support except Iran. Earlier I though they might abandon Iran once war begins in an effort to regain some stability, since it is clear Iran is going to have a rough go of it. But if the Syrian government is backed into a corner where they have already lost any connection to the rest of the Middle East then all bets are off. They may just decide their fate is inevitable and cause as much destruction as possible. I do think parts of the military will desert and revolt. They must be tired of firing on their own civilians and I don't know how many mercenaries Assad can bring in at this point.

MMC
11-15-2011, 09:45 AM
It's not that surprising. Jordan is both Sunni and Shia. Assad is ready too. he has mined all borders. Has his troops on high alert. Defenses are being set where they can and not noticed. No Foreign journalists to report anything either.

Plus now with the Arab league threatening him that they will do to him what they did to Gadhafi. Will only make him dig in deeper. Trouble is the Russians have to be on board. Their not. Plus they have a sub base right off the Syrias Front-Water beach territory.

waltky
10-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Assad unleashes aerial onslaught on rebels...
:angry:
Syrian regime launches nationwide airstrikes
Oct 29,`12 --- Syrian fighter jets pounded rebel areas across the country on Monday with scores of airstrikes that anti-regime activists called the most widespread bombing in a single day since Syria's troubles started 19 months ago.

The death toll for what was supposed to be a four-day cease-fire between the regime of President Bashar Assad and rebels seeking his overthrow exceeded 500, and activists guessed the government's heavy reliance on air power reflected its inability to roll back rebel gains. "The army is no longer able to make any progress on the ground so it is resorting to this style," said activist Hisham Nijim via Skype from the northern town of Khan Sheikhoun.

Activists said more than 80 people were killed nationwide Monday while videos posted online showed fighter jets screaming over Syrian towns, mushroom clouds rising from neighborhoods and residents searching the remains of damaged and collapsed buildings for bodies. One video from Maaret al-Numan in the north showed residents trying to save a boy who was buried up to his shoulders in rubble. Another showed the dead bodies of a young boy and girl laid out on a tile floor.

The airstrikes focused on rebel areas in the northern provinces of Aleppo and Idlib, as well as on restive areas in and around the capital Damascus. The regime has been bombing rebel areas in the north for months, but had sparingly used its air force near the capital, presumably to avoid isolating its supporters there. But analysts say that rampant defections and rising rebel capabilities have lessened the regime's ability to take back and hold rebel areas, making air strikes its most effective way to fight back.

Monday was supposed to be the fourth and final day of an internationally sanctioned cease-fire to coincide with the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, one of the holiest periods of the Muslim calendar. But violence marred the truce almost immediately after it was to go into effect on Friday and continued apace through the weekend.

MORE (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_SYRIA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-29-15-58-36)

shaarona
10-30-2012, 03:31 AM
BEIRUT, Lebanon — Against a backdrop of mounting Arab pressure on President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, activists on Tuesday reported mounting violence, with more than 50 people killed on Monday, making it the highest death toll on a single day in months.

The latest tally of bloodletting came a day after King Abdullah of neighboring Jordan added his voice on Monday to the growing calls for Mr. Assad to relinquish power, becoming the first Arab leader on Syria’s doorstep to call for a change in government to end the increasingly bloody political uprising there.

The Jordanian monarch’s remarks, made in an interview with the BBC, came with Mr. Assad still smarting from the Arab League’s unexpectedly strong rebuke over the weekend with its decision to suspend Syria’s membership. Syria also faced additional sanctions imposed Monday by the European Union.

“I believe, if I were in his shoes, I would step down,” King Abdullah told the BBC. “If Bashar has the interest of his country, he would step down, but he would also create an ability to reach out and start a new phase of Syrian political life.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/world/middleeast/death-toll-mounts-in-syria-along-with-outside-pressure.html

Now with Jordan turning on them Syrian government is becoming even more isolated. They have lost all their support except Iran. Earlier I though they might abandon Iran once war begins in an effort to regain some stability, since it is clear Iran is going to have a rough go of it. But if the Syrian government is backed into a corner where they have already lost any connection to the rest of the Middle East then all bets are off. They may just decide their fate is inevitable and cause as much destruction as possible. I do think parts of the military will desert and revolt. They must be tired of firing on their own civilians and I don't know how many mercenaries Assad can bring in at this point.

Jordan is paying for Assad's folly.. They are flooded with Syrian refugees.

Peter1469
10-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Jordan is paying for Assad's folly.. They are flooded with Syrian refugees.

What is Assad's folly?

shaarona
10-30-2012, 10:17 AM
What is Assad's folly?

There are 300,000 registered Syrian refugees in Turkey and Jordan.. that would indicate a problem.

I watched an interview of Assad with Barbara Walters.. Assad is strangely detached.. as if in a valium twilight.. Like he has no idea what is going on around him.

I suspect that he is the gentle son.. The tough, designated heir died.

And, IMO he is held hostage to a losing situation by his more aggressive brothers and his aging hardline uncles. Assad's brother controls the Syrian military with an iron fist.

This will end badly.

Ivan88
11-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Jordan is just doing what they are told to do.

Syrians should read The ART OF WAR by Sun Tsu. The US/UK/Saudi/French/Israeli terrorists are using it at times.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2010/11/12/suntzu_2.jpg It is obvious that the Syrians remain ignorant or betrayed from inside.
They cannot continue to let the terrorists seize Syrian cities and do battle there.
Take the war to the Saudis, Qatar, Kuwiate, Turks et al.
Perhaps they can surrender to the USA and become like Puerto Rico or Samoa.
But then, they will become just another reservation:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/SingingHawk64/trustgov.jpg

Carygrant
11-02-2012, 03:08 AM
What is Assad's folly?
\

Not understanding Economics and History . Possibly not being aware of the concepts of Zeitgeist and Historical tilting moments .
I.E. nothing important!!!!