PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices

Mister D
07-02-2011, 04:05 PM
They were supposed to peak right around now but they've been coming down in NJ since early May.

MMC
07-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Same here D.....we are down to 3.65-3.79 from over 4.00 dollar gas. Don't worry it's a trick. After the summer they will raise it again.

MMC
07-10-2011, 04:52 PM
3.99 -401 a gallon. >:(

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I have no idea what gas prices are lately, $3.50 a gallon maybe?

I used to pay attention to that shit, but I hardly notice anymore. From what I understand though, there is no summer gouging going on. Don't gas prices bottom out typically before a POTUS election?

MMC
07-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Chicgoland area you know those Dems just like being Number 1. Even if it is in something shitty! >:D

Conley
07-10-2011, 06:36 PM
3.99 -401 a gallon. >:(

still under that here in CA, for the time being at least...

Mister D
07-10-2011, 08:28 PM
I think I'm right by some big refineries. It's 340 and change around here. Some jackass Indian is selling regular for 3.99. They must make all their coin off the mechanics b/c noone stops there for gas.

wingrider
07-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Colorado here,

just paid 3.749 for premium. today 11th of July

Conley
07-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Colorado here,

Not bad, yeah I thought of this thread yesterday -- 3.69 here in San Diego, and that's for the cheap stuff. I read that after the first few years of the car the grade of gas doesn't make a difference. Maybe that's incorrect? My car is about 10 years old though.

wingrider
07-13-2011, 02:09 AM
Colorado here,

Not bad, yeah I thought of this thread yesterday -- 3.69 here in San Diego, and that's for the cheap stuff. I read that after the first few years of the car the grade of gas doesn't make a difference. Maybe that's incorrect? My car is about 10 years old though.

don't really know about that .. I drive a caddy and if I put anything other thatn premium in it it is sluggish and the engine rattles. my caddy is a 94 deville

Conley
07-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Colorado here,

don't really know about that .. I drive a caddy and if I put anything other thatn premium in it it is sluggish and the engine rattles. my caddy is a 94 deville

hmm interesting...i guess there really is a difference between the cheap stuff and the more expensive...kinda like booze :)

Mister D
07-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Depends on the car. I always buy regular gas.

Conley
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM

never had a good one, so i wouldn't know :D

Mister D
07-13-2011, 09:39 AM

never had a good one, so i wouldn't know :D

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion. I always buy regular gas. Car is in great shape but I see no need for 'better" gasoline.

MMC
07-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Doesn't the higher octane make the engine perform better? :-\

Mister D
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Doesn't the higher octane make the engine perform better? :-\

My father used to buy premium gas when I was a kid but he says he dopesn't bother anymore because the newer cars just don't need it.

Conley
07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
only thing i've heard is that if your engine is knocking better octane will improve it...cap'n a car expert, he should chime in here. hard to imagine he wouldn't have an opinion ;)

MMC
07-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah.....plus you know he will bring the beer. ;D

Captain Obvious
07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
One of the worst things you can do to a car that is designed to run on regular is run premium in it. Premium is for engines that are designed to run on premium - Corvettes and shit like that. Running premium in the family station wagon will cause your cylinders to expand because the fuel runs hotter and that will fuck up the longevity of your basic engine.

I filled the truck up today - cost a benjy and I paid attention to the price this time (because of this thread). 3.69. I am getting around 10 mpg which is about what I expected. My wife is getting something like 27 mpg in the Sorento. That one tracks gas mileage right in the dash.

Conley
07-13-2011, 07:54 PM
One of the worst things you can do to a car that is designed to run on regular is run premium in it. Premium is for engines that are designed to run on premium - Corvettes and shit like that. Running premium in the family station wagon will cause your cylinders to expand because the fuel runs hotter and that will fuck up the longevity of your basic engine.

I filled the truck up today - cost a benjy and I paid attention to the price this time (because of this thread). 3.69. I am getting around 10 mpg which is about what I expected. My wife is getting something like 27 mpg in the Sorento. That one tracks gas mileage right in the dash.

See, I knew the resident expert would chime in. Interesting stuff...

$100 a tank and 10 mpg...that shit is brutal. makes sense for towing and hauling but just commuting that would put me in the poor house.

Captain Obvious
07-13-2011, 07:57 PM

See, I knew the resident expert would chime in. Interesting stuff...

$100 a tank and 10 mpg...that shit is brutal. makes sense for towing and hauling but just commuting that would put me in the poor house.

Yeah, it's a bigger tank but I'm getting ~ 500 miles to it.

I had to take it to the beach this weekend, otherwise I'm just using it to go back and forth to work - maybe 10 miles round trip. I might even start using the rice burner, that gets close to 40 mpg.

Taking it to the beach was a mistake also. I wanted to get some miles on it, but it was fucking crowded down there and parking is a bitch. I can't park that thing in a standard spot and the lot was basically full. I asked the guy if I could just park it in the middle of the aisle and he let me. Next time, taking the wifes car tho.

freecell
07-13-2011, 09:11 PM
It's back on the rise again.

Mister D
07-13-2011, 09:41 PM

It takes me all of 15 minutes to get to work and 12 minutes of that is highway mileage. 8)

freecell
07-13-2011, 09:53 PM
I wish mine was that close.

MMC
07-13-2011, 10:15 PM

It takes me all of 15 minutes to get to work and 12 minutes of that is highway mileage. 8)

Yep I am the same way......21 mins to work 16 of it hwy. ;)

wingrider
07-13-2011, 11:57 PM
man I got it made... 3 miles to work and I buy a tank every two weeks >:D