PDA

View Full Version : Growing Resentment Against Germany in Greece and Spain

Conley
11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
BERLIN — Throughout the crisis in the euro zone, as governments have fallen, debt burdens have mounted and economies have stagnated or shrunk, Germany has floated above the fray. While its economy has hummed along nicely, its leaders have steadfastly insisted that the path to redemption for the debtors lies in austerity and suffering.

When Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday described the debt crisis as Europe’s “most difficult hours since World War II,” she was describing something most Germans had only read about in newspapers or watched on television. The German economy once again surprised experts on Tuesday, growing an unexpectedly healthy 0.5 percent in the third quarter and 2.5 percent higher than the year before.

While there were ominous signs that Europe’s slowdown would also strike Germany, its biggest economy — particularly worrisome was a sharp drop in industrial production in September — the pain that euro zone partners have been feeling has yet to arrive here.

Greeks in particular have been outraged at demands for change dictated by Berlin that impinge on their sovereignty. Some Greek protesters have even carried blue European Union flags with yellow swastikas in the middle and compare the debt deals to the occupation of Greece during World War II.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/world/europe/germanys-success-and-advice-anger-european-partners.html

Unbelievable how these Greeks are demanding concessions after buying German goods with money they didn't own. It's a good thing Germany hasn't yet felt the pain the rest of the economies have, if they go along with the bailouts then they will collapse like everyone else. The Greek people need to take responsibility for their own spending mess and also hold their government accountable.

Peter1469
11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Where did the new Greek and Italian PMs come from? They weren't elected by their people. They were appointed by the EU (i.e. Germany).

No wonder they are pissed off.

We have supposedly invaded Libya because it lacked democracy. When will we invade Europe?

I only ask out of concern for consistency.

But seriously, this is exactly the reason the Eurozone was doomed to fail from the beginning.

Mister D
11-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Where did the new Greek and Italian PMs come from? They weren't elected by their people. They were appointed by the EU (i.e. Germany).

No wonder they are pissed off.

We have supposedly invaded Libya because it lacked democracy. When will we invade Europe?

I only ask out of concern for consistency.

But seriously, this is exactly the reason the Eurozone was doomed to fail from the beginning.

It's an unaccountable bureaucracy. The European federation needs to function more like the Holy Roman Empire than a modern super state.

Conley
11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
The HRE was bad ass. 8) ;D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Banner_of_the_Holy_Roman_Emperor_with_haloes_%2814 00-1806%29.svg/600px-Banner_of_the_Holy_Roman_Emperor_with_haloes_%2814 00-1806%29.svg.png

Mister D
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
The HRE was bad ass. 8) ;D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Banner_of_the_Holy_Roman_Emperor_with_haloes_%2814 00-1806%29.svg/600px-Banner_of_the_Holy_Roman_Emperor_with_haloes_%2814 00-1806%29.svg.png

I believe that's the Hapsburg coat of arms. The Hapsburg family monopolized the imperial title for centuries.

It was loose federation and a better model , IMHO, than the jacobin model of the current E.U.

Peter1469
11-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I agree with that. Under the Hapsburg model there was a moral duty owed to the Emperor. Under the EU is there nothing to compel cooperation.

Mister D
11-16-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree with that. Under the Hapsburg model there was a moral duty owed to the Emperor. Under the EU is there nothing to compel cooperation.

True and the German states were largely autonomous which is how the various European states should be in a European federation. I'm only suggesting a framework of sorts using a historical example. I'm sure there are a great many details to work out.