PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor time provided for me

donttread
12-08-2019, 12:12 PM
So over the last 4 days the good Lord and the Universe have provided me with 6 opportunities to shovel the driveway plus a little bit of knocking the snow banks back and roof raking.
I over did it throwing chunks of ice and snow to move the margins of the driveway back today , but for the most part I think it's been good exercise and outdoor time for me.

Tahuyaman
12-19-2019, 12:43 AM
We had a good dose of rain today. You don't need to shovel rain.

Cotton1
12-19-2019, 01:55 PM
We had an incredible thunderstorm two days ago. Rain , more rain , lightning , strong wind. At noon it was almost like night outside. Not quite but " almost". I love storms.

donttread
12-19-2019, 07:21 PM
More opportunity for me these past few days and now it's turned below zero. That usually shuts down the snow machine for a bit

Cotton1
12-20-2019, 04:07 AM
So over the last 4 days the good Lord and the Universe have provided me with 6 opportunities to shovel the driveway plus a little bit of knocking the snow banks back and roof raking.
I over did it throwing chunks of ice and snow to move the margins of the driveway back today , but for the most part I think it's been good exercise and outdoor time for me.

Youd get a real kick out of us Southerners in the winter. Forecast calls for half an inch of snow and the grocery stores sell out of things like milk ( like its never going to thaw lol) , people driving off in ditches. Thats before the snow hits. Its a real riot once it starts. :)

FindersKeepers
12-20-2019, 04:47 AM
We had an incredible thunderstorm two days ago. Rain , more rain , lightning , strong wind. At noon it was almost like night outside. Not quite but " almost". I love storms.

I've heard that lightning strikes charge the air with negative ions, which can lift your mood, and that's why a lot of people really like thunderstorms.

donttread
12-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Youd get a real kick out of us Southerners in the winter. Forecast calls for half an inch of snow and the grocery stores sell out of things like milk ( like its never going to thaw lol) , people driving off in ditches. Thats before the snow hits. Its a real riot once it starts. :)

I saw it once, it was sleet/freezing rain and the people couldn't even walk much less drive.

donttread
12-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Sunny and warm today. As in 35 degrees. Maybe i can scrape down some of the snow base built up on top of the driveway. Don't worry if you don't know what that means , because only northerners will know

Cotton1
12-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Sunny and warm today. As in 35 degrees. Maybe i can scrape down some of the snow base built up on top of the driveway. Don't worry if you don't know what that means , because only northerners will know

I would leave it in the driveway. In that manner if an out of town visitor called to invite themselves over I could say "im sorry but you will have to wait. The snow is so bad you cant even get in and out of the driveway". :)

donttread
01-04-2020, 08:47 PM

New Years Day. I shoveled lots of heavy wet snow. It was hard to throw or to push. The day before I had literally taken down some snow banks to give me room to put the snow that was coming.
It was too much. I am 60 and pushed at full capacity for nearly two hours without breaks. I don't know how to describe it to folks who have never dealt with a foot of wet snow.
Anyway it wrecked my day and I wasn't really right again until today. Dizzy, rubber legged, sick to stomach . Maybe it was partly a bug or the fact that I pushed myself to remain active the next day but damn! One of those days I could have gone back to bed right after I got up!
Anyway my family had some tough comments for me and I'm good, but did the r/r thing today and finally feel better. i live in a small town and doctor used to drive by my house and one time I went to see him and he told me to quit shoveling.
It's some of the best exercise I get in the winter, but I guess it wouldn't hurt me to break the snow blower out once in awhile. No fool like an old fool, right.

Cotton1
01-05-2020, 06:32 AM
New Years Day. I shoveled lots of heavy wet snow. It was hard to throw or to push. The day before I had literally taken down some snow banks to give me room to put the snow that was coming.
It was too much. I am 60 and pushed at full capacity for nearly two hours without breaks. I don't know how to describe it to folks who have never dealt with a foot of wet snow.
Anyway it wrecked my day and I wasn't really right again until today. Dizzy, rubber legged, sick to stomach . Maybe it was partly a bug or the fact that I pushed myself to remain active the next day but damn! One of those days I could have gone back to bed right after I got up!
Anyway my family had some tough comments for me and I'm good, but did the r/r thing today and finally feel better. i live in a small town and doctor used to drive by my house and one time I went to see him and he told me to quit shoveling.
It's some of the best exercise I get in the winter, but I guess it wouldn't hurt me to break the snow blower out once in awhile. No fool like an old fool, right.

Ive never shoveled snow. The hardest thing I ever did was when I was 17. I loaded 100 lb bags of fertilizer into the cropdusters at my grandparents. The cropduster lands dirt flying everywhere. I climbed on the wing and someone else handed me the bag and Id empty it into the airplanes hopper. That was in 100+ Arkansas heat. I couldnt do that these days. Hope you recover well.

Cotton1
01-05-2020, 06:33 AM

Wait! I just read this again. You have a snowblower? Dust it off, my friend!

donttread
01-05-2020, 11:24 AM
Ive never shoveled snow. The hardest thing I ever did was when I was 17. I loaded 100 lb bags of fertilizer into the cropdusters at my grandparents. The cropduster lands dirt flying everywhere. I climbed on the wing and someone else handed me the bag and Id empty it into the airplanes hopper. That was in 100+ Arkansas heat. I couldnt do that these days. Hope you recover well.

When I worked at a lumber yard in my youth we'd sometimes have to offload a whole tandem load of blocks by hand. That flat out sucked. I was did so with a pretty decent mason who was also a binge drinker and so drunk at the time the pile of blocks he made almost fell on his sorry ass.. Good times in drunksville!

donttread
01-05-2020, 11:35 AM
Wait! I just read this again. You have a snowblower? Dust it off, my friend!

That's how my wife shovels. I shovel like a man. LOL. At this rate maybe like a dead man!

Cotton1
01-05-2020, 06:23 PM
That's how my wife shovels. I shovel like a man. LOL. At this rate maybe like a dead man!

Yes, be careful. Even us fine specimens of men as you and I have to exercise restraint, but only on occasion, as we know :)

Captdon
01-06-2020, 11:18 AM

The further south, the worse it gets.