PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of Joel Salatin and Polyface Farms?

donttread
12-08-2019, 12:19 PM
For many years he has operated a truly sustainable farm in Virginia and as a true localist doesn't believe in shipping his meats and other products long distances so you pretty much have to go there to buy. His farm has many cool features like portable chicken coops whereby the chickens can be used to fertilize the fields. He is fairly famous with the MEN type community so I wondered if any of you had heard of .him. His farm , not a corporate mono-culture operation obviously is exactly what sustainable and local agro-business should be! I lost my one chance to visit a few years back when a snow storm kept me from trying to get to Stanton. But I'd still like to visit someday.
Anyway , just a post for conversation.

Common
12-08-2019, 12:39 PM
We have something similar here, it started out as one of the famous Florida Orange shippers, the shipping of Grade A citrus in the winter up north. Its expanded and raises its own hormone antibiotic free Cattle and sells meat there, they also have homemade pies, jelly jam and gifts.

I tried the beef it had a different taste and I didnt find it to be any more tender and in some cases less.

We also have a butcher here who claims to be Euopean Trained that sells only Prime Beef. I bought it once after I grilled it and ate it, I felt like I needed to do a rape kit on me. It was absurdly expensive and slightly better than super market beef.

Lummy
12-09-2019, 08:51 PM
:occasion18:

Dr. Who
12-09-2019, 11:30 PM
We have something similar here, it started out as one of the famous Florida Orange shippers, the shipping of Grade A citrus in the winter up north. Its expanded and raises its own hormone antibiotic free Cattle and sells meat there, they also have homemade pies, jelly jam and gifts.

I tried the beef it had a different taste and I didnt find it to be any more tender and in some cases less.

We also have a butcher here who claims to be Euopean Trained that sells only Prime Beef. I bought it once after I grilled it and ate it, I felt like I needed to do a rape kit on me. It was absurdly expensive and slightly better than super market beef.

I can't speak for all European beef, but our Euro head office contingent go nuts for our beef. Their's is OK, but it's super lean, so it has less flavor if you happen to order a steak across the pond on the mainland.

jigglepete
12-11-2019, 11:47 AM
donttread I've seen the mobile chicken coops before, not only do they fertilize, but also eat bugs while they do. Totally cool!

donttread
12-12-2019, 08:17 AM
@donttread (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=922) I've seen the mobile chicken coops before, not only do they fertilize, but also eat bugs while they do. Totally cool!

That's right jigglepete I remember reading that now. Free protein! The guy is a localism super star. They even divide the slaughter duties up so no one person has a steady job as executioner.
It's still on my bucket list to go there.

donttread
12-12-2019, 08:19 AM

Joel is the real deal. And he doesn't even ship anything.

Peter1469
12-12-2019, 08:26 AM
I can't speak for all European beef, but our Euro head office contingent go nuts for our beef. Their's is OK, but it's super lean, so it has less flavor if you happen to order a steak across the pond on the mainland.
I suspect it is grass fed beef. That changes the taste from the corn fed beef that we are familiar with. With corn fed beef, my favorite cut is the rib-eye, bone in. With grass fed that cut does not appeal to me. Sirloin is a good cut with grass fed beef.

Health note: corn fed beef has an improper ratio of transfatty acids. Grass fed beef is much more healthy.

donttread
12-13-2019, 08:24 PM
I suspect it is grass fed beef. That changes the taste from the corn fed beef that we are familiar with. With corn fed beef, my favorite cut is the rib-eye, bone in. With grass fed that cut does not appeal to me. Sirloin is a good cut with grass fed beef.

Health note: corn fed beef has an improper ratio of transfatty acids. Grass fed beef is much more healthy.

Peter you may be relatively close to Polyface. Stanton, VA I believe.

Peter1469
12-13-2019, 08:30 PM
Peter you may be relatively close to Polyface. Stanton, VA I believe.

142 miles.

EvilCat Breath
12-18-2019, 05:03 PM
donttread I've seen the mobile chicken coops before, not only do they fertilize, but also eat bugs while they do. Totally cool!

They are called chicken tractors. Very environmentally sound.

Tahuyaman
12-19-2019, 12:42 AM

No cut of meat in grass fed beef is flavorful. Plus it's tough.

donttread
12-26-2019, 10:49 AM
142 miles.

Even been there?