PDA

View Full Version : New Car

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Finally ditched the Durango although it's still in my front yard. Not legally mine at this point but a wrecker is coming by on Tuesday to pick it up.

I was looking for a small SUV and I was hot on the Suzuki Grand Vitara. Came close to buying one today, but I'm glad I dug around a bit. While doing research, I stumbled on the Kia Sorento. What caught my eye was that it's a 7 passenger vehicle. That's attractive to me since I take a boat load of people to the beach with me every summer. We planned on going in 2 cars earlier, now we don't have to.

They dropped it off today. I bought it over the phone, trade-in and the new car all sight unseen. The dealer which was an hour and a half away from me agreed to drive it to my house today where we signed all the shit over.

Took it for a drive through the mountains. It's a 4-cylinder, there was an optional 6 but I wanted the 4. Much better cash mileage (twice better than the Durango) and from what I read there wasn't much power difference between the two. I just can't tow anything bigger than a small trailer with it, but I'll put a frame hitch on it for a metal basket that we mount for the beach for the cooler and chairs and shit.

It has this weird thing on it, I don't like it much nor does the wife after we used it a couple times, but there's a camera in the back that projects a little image on the rear view mirror of what's behind you when you back up. The setup is nifty, but I found out that focusing on that little screen in the rear view mirror means you're not focusing on anything else, so we shut it off. It's not a fucking sherman tank by any stretch, I'm not sure it's needed.

http://www.uneedapart.com/images/kia-sorento-parts.jpg

Next up, I'm gonna have to ditch the full size truck. Too much rust and the muffler has been rusted in half for a year now. Looking at the Toyota Tundra. Fuck American cars, I'll never buy one again.

MMC
07-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Sounds like you Jumping Ship on the American Cars Cap.....what about Ford? Got to be proud of those guys, didn't take no bail-out money. Came up with a few Models that are in the tops with fuel efficency and I myself am looking at the Escape 4Dr Sport-Track as we want something for Camping out.....it's either that or i buy the one of those Sharp New RVs. Used of course. Cuz I will be damned if I am paying for a second house even if it is mobile. ??? :-\

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I looked at the Escape, got the Sorento for what I would have paid for an Escape and the Sorento holds more people, gets better gas mileage, has a much MUCH better warranty (5 year, 60k bumper-to-bumper, 10 year, 100k drivetrain) and most importantly it's not American made. It came highly recommended by most of the ratings outfits out there. I did a lot of research. Jeep has a plethora of AWD small SUV's and the write-ups on most of them are laughable. One group said the Jeep Liberty and Patriot (scored 55 and 27) were too unreliable to be recommended.

Ford has gotten some popularity no doubt, but I'm not sold. I've bought 2 Fords in my lifetime - a Tempo which was a decent car, no problems and a Fiesta which at the time was a Mazda with the Ford logo on it. The Escape probably a decent car, I can't give you an honest opinion but crunching the numbers and looking at the end product, I liked the Kia much better. I've had a couple of Japanese/Korean cars - a Toyota truck decades ago, that thing refused to die and I beat the shit out of it (I was a kid, never, NEVER changed the oil). The "Toyota from hell" as my buddies coined it, and an older Hyundai Excel (now the Accent) and that was a good car for a cheapo two door stick (I have an Accent now, my kid drives it).

I was reading a write-up on the Ford Edge. I looked at that as a possible option but immediately ruled it out when I found out that it retailed at around $36k. Holy shit! Then I read the write-up - "The technology might scare some people away". I wondered what that meant, so I started reading user reviews. The echoing theme was that the "synch" function (which I'm guessing is synching your blackberry or something) didn't work. Post after post after post complained about Microsoft's failure in this department, "it was released too early".

One schmuck complained that he had his Edge in the shop 9 times to fix synch problems but still gave it a 9.7 rating.

Yeah, fuck that. That shit is designed to break down, let someone else pay Ford for purposely designed problems.

But who knows what's good and what's not. At the end of the day if you get miles out of a car with little problems then it's a good deal. I only got 145k out of that Durango - should have gotten double that.

Burn me once...

Conley
07-02-2011, 09:14 PM
how much are you getting for the durango? you really had to scrap it? or is that the trade in you're talking about

takes some balls to buy a car without ever test driving the model, glad it worked out for ya cap'n

seats for seven sound cool, but are those koreans or americans? ;D

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 09:18 PM
how much are you getting for the durango? you really had to scrap it? or is that the trade in you're talking about

takes some balls to buy a car without ever test driving the model, glad it worked out for ya cap'n

The FMV for the Durango was $5k, got $1k. I told them it had problems, I'm not a liar, I can't be dishonest.

They know there's a potential head gasket issue and they've already sold it - to a scrapper I think.

We've driven the car before - wife has. Getting the same car from the dealer 100 miles down the road isn't much different from the same car that's at the local dealer. The guy down the road is a mass seller, they can do a better deal than the little dealer in town.

The third row is clearly a kids section. My 7yr old will be back there with I'm not sure who else. Low man on the totum pole I guess, but for the 97% of the rest of the time that we're using it, that third row will be folded down for cargo space and it's a 5 seater.

Conley
07-02-2011, 09:26 PM

The FMV for the Durango was $5k, got $1k. I told them it had problems, I'm not a liar, I can't be dishonest.

They know there's a potential head gasket issue and they've already sold it - to a scrapper I think.

We've driven the car before - wife has. Getting the same car from the dealer 100 miles down the road isn't much different from the same car that's at the local dealer. The guy down the road is a mass seller, they can do a better deal than the little dealer in town.

The third row is clearly a kids section. My 7yr old will be back there with I'm not sure who else. Low man on the totum pole I guess, but for the 97% of the rest of the time that we're using it, that third row will be folded down for cargo space and it's a 5 seater.

right on, i agree it's good to be honest. pretty sure the guy could come after you if you didn't disclose problems anyway. when it comes time i will probably buy online or via phone as well, after test driving at local dealers. i've been to carmax and a few used lots but always felt i was the 'sucker in the room'...left without buying anything

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I had this thing that I used to do - I'd find the car I wanted, got the VIN number and called all of the dealers around the area to see who would sell it to me the cheapest. Called them up and said here's the VIN, here's where it's at, what will you sell it to me for? Dealers will trade to sell.

Did that with the Durango, got it for $23k 7 years ago - although I had to drive to the next state to get it.

The Kia was a dealer trade also but I was pretty convinced that I had a decent deal. My trade was the big issue, I didn't expect to get much for it. Fucking American cars.

I might pull that stunt when I decide to go get that Tundra. Not sure if I'm going to do that anytime soon, but who knows. I can make impulse decisions. My truck like the Durango has been paid off for a while. I just put a new clutch in the truck and if the bottom doesn't fall out anytime soon, maybe I'll just drive that thing until it does. It's ran great, few problems. Had to replace a fuse box (the old one rusted out and everything went haywire) and the clutch after 110k miles but that's it. I wouldn't take it on a cross country ride tho.

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't fuck with used cars for the most part. I browsed them a little, I don't understand what value there is in paying near new prices for a 30k mile vehicle. There isn't enough incentive to buy a used car lately, maybe it's an economy thing where used cars are at a premium because of the perceived value. I don't see the value.

Conley
07-02-2011, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't fuck with used cars for the most part. I browsed them a little, I don't understand what value there is in paying near new prices for a 30k mile vehicle. There isn't enough incentive to buy a used car lately, maybe it's an economy thing where used cars are at a premium because of the perceived value. I don't see the value.

good to know. what do you think of the ford f-150s? my uncle had one that ran for 30 years...still running today but he sold it

Conley
07-02-2011, 09:55 PM
7th gen i guess

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/1985f250.JPG

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 10:00 PM

good to know. what do you think of the ford f-150s? my uncle had one that ran for 30 years...still running today but he sold it

Buddy of mine had an F-250. You needed a fucking parachute to get out of it. It was a 4-door, second row had enough space to play golf in. Huge truck, but he didn't like the transfer case so he got rid of it.

The F-150's are small compared to other half ton trucks. I was considering another Ram - 3/4 ton, they are putting a 350cc engine in them now and that's attractive to me. I was chatting with wifey about that, but I think I'll lean toward the Tundra. The Ram tows 15k lbs, the Tundra 10k. Ram probably gets 12 mpg and the Tundra is much better. Plus it's Japanese. I might buy a toy hauler for the quads and camping and I don't need a freight train to pull it, If I were pulling something really heavy duty, yeah - the Ram would be a better option. Gas mileage is important to me now and I'm not pulling a battleship anytime soon.

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
7th gen i guess

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/1985f250.JPG

Oh shit - that's an older model.

Yeah, if it's running solid - it's golden. They don't make them like that anymore.

Conley
07-02-2011, 10:06 PM
yeah 12 mpg is pretty crappy...yep, my uncle's was an old one, wondering if they built em like that any more but i kinda new the answer. had a volvo 240 that ran forever, 250k when the speedometer broke. wonder if someone is still enjoying it.

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 10:12 PM
What's in that Ford - 351?

I don't remember what Ford's big block was - 400 maybe? 460 was MOPAR.

Conley
07-02-2011, 10:14 PM
What's in that Ford - 351?

I don't remember what Ford's big block was - 400 maybe? 460 was MOPAR.

yup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series#Seventh_generation_.281980.E2.80.931986.29

aint wikipedia cool? ;D

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah, Ford did make a 460. Something in the back of my mind told me that. MOPAR had a 460 also, and a 440 they used to put in Chargers if I remember correctly.

That's gotta be a great truck if it's running solid.

freecell
07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I won't buy a ford. Too many problems. Now I do have a Chevy work truck that still runs great.

Conley
Yeah, Ford did make a 460. Something in the back of my mind told me that. MOPAR had a 460 also, and a 440 they used to put in Chargers if I remember correctly.

yeah and the other thing was that my uncle was a big car guy...he changed the oil but didn't do a whole lot else. it wasn't his baby. he took care of it but nothing extreme.

Conley
I won't buy a ford. Too many problems. Now I do have a Chevy work truck that still runs great.

good evenin freecell...what model chevy?

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 10:31 PM

I learned to drive a standard on an old Chevy truck. 69 pickup with the old granny gear. Buddy of mine in high school had one, I don't remember the engine but I want to say it was a 400?

Trucks are pretty fungible at this point, and a dying breed. 10 years ago everyone was buying them. The F-150 was the highest selling vehicle in the world. Rising gas prices and governmental pressure caused them to be scaled way back - which is one of the reasons why I'm still considering buying one before they're gone.

Gas mileage is a big deal also. It's a conundrum. It would make sense to buy that last big truck, 3/4 ton, diesel Cummins, fuck it, But I don't need that much truck right now.

freecell
07-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Cheyenne 1993 never has given me problems

MMC
07-03-2011, 05:54 AM
Myself, I have never been into pick-up trucks.....obviously coming from the heart of the City. Growing up we look at those type of vehicles for them Good ole Country-Boys, and for Contractors.... for myself I have come to the conclusion that buying American is the way to go. After that it's about making sure those American companies know what the competition is and that they put out a product that Americans want and need.

Conley
07-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Myself, I have never been into pick-up trucks.....obviously coming from the heart of the City. Growing up we look at those type of vehicles for them Good ole Country-Boys, and for Contractors.... for myself I have come to the conclusion that buying American is the way to go. After that it's about making sure those American companies know what the competition is and that they put out a product that Americans want and need.

The weird thing is that a lot of "foreign" cars are made right here in the US, and a lot of the US cars are made in Mexico or other countries. It's hard to tell these days where your car is really coming from.

MMC
07-03-2011, 10:43 AM

The weird thing is that a lot of "foreign" cars are made right here in the US, and a lot of the US cars are made in Mexico or other countries. It's hard to tell these days where your car is really coming from.

Yep soon all will have a car that is made with the some part or piece from every country in the world. Or at least the mechanized ones.

Captain Obvious
07-07-2011, 09:25 PM
So I swore off American cars what - a week ago?

Hah! That lasted long. Traded my Ram 1500 in yesterday for a new F250. 6.2 liter engine, 4x4, can haul 6 tons of shit, it's a ball buster.

My dad talked me into it. They're not going to be making these trucks much longer, EPA is supposed to be what, 55 average in 2025 maybe? Might as well get it while I can.

And no, I didn't pay a lot for this truck. Under $25k adding my trade which wasn't much.

Had to drive to the other side of Maine for it, but I know how to make a deal.

This one isn't mine, but basically it's the same truck, Vermillion Red.

http://www.kimnachford.com/img/vehicles/2011-ford-f250-super-cab-vermillion-red-t1116.jpg

Conley
07-07-2011, 11:08 PM
that thing is a BEAST :o

i wouldn't believe those EPA numbers, but gas prices will be a bitch in 2025 no doubt

Conley
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
what do you guys think of diesel? i'm thinking that might be the way of the future... (and the way of the past)

Captain Obvious
07-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I looked at diesel and would have liked to have one, but the gas engine was a trade-off. The diesel option in trucks is a $7,500 option. I hear Ford's diesel sucks, Cummins is the way to go, Dodge uses them and I'm not touching anything Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler with a fucking barge pole.

The 6.2 is 400-something HP and 400 torque, high torque is preferable for towing. I want to be able to tow a good size camper, toy hauler. Probably get that next year. A diesel will get you a little more HP and double the torque, but I don't need to tow a freight train, just a camper and the 6.2 can do that and more.

Big thing with me was cost, a diesel would have me up in the 40's.

Conley
07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
yeah, i know diesel costs more up front but i am thinking with lower maintenance cost and better mpg if it would pay for itself. of course, i was assuming something good like a cummins...tbh i am surprised you went with a ford after all that but sounds like you got a great truck at a great price. my other worry with having a truck like that is that friends would want to borrow it :D

Captain Obvious
07-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I already got a couple requests.

Yeah, I wasn't going near Dodge, but the F250 blew the tires off of Chevy/GMC and Dodge. Bigger standard engine, more HP and torque and cheaper.

MMC is a Ford guy I think and Ford at this point would probably have been the only one I'd consider, obviously - I bought one.

Fun truck to drive, it doesn't have step sides yet (or much of anything else, I got the basic truck) so I'll have to put them on aftermarket and just climb into and jump out of it. It didn't come with mud flaps either and I'll get those aftermarket also and put them on myself - soon, the tires are throwing rocks. Only other two things would be a bed liner but I might go with a rubber mat and a cap.

It's a basic truck, has AC and a 6-speed auto tranny. Other than a snow plow package and a heavy duty tow package/hitch, that's it. No carpeting, just a big rubber mat but I'm ok with that. Easier to clean. It has the second row seating that folds up but it's roomy enough for adults.

Conley
07-08-2011, 04:48 PM

yeah and the other thing was that my uncle was a big car guy...he changed the oil but didn't do a whole lot else. it wasn't his baby. he took care of it but nothing extreme.

was rereading this shit and realized i didn't type so well...meant he was NOT a big car guy. actually shit you not had an engine seize and throw rods from lack of oil (in a sedan, not the truck). that was an ugly scene. and that F 150 kept kicking ass all through the years.

Conley
07-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I already got a couple requests.

Yeah, I wasn't going near Dodge, but the F250 blew the tires off of Chevy/GMC and Dodge. Bigger standard engine, more HP and torque and cheaper.

MMC is a Ford guy I think and Ford at this point would probably have been the only one I'd consider, obviously - I bought one.

Fun truck to drive, it doesn't have step sides yet (or much of anything else, I got the basic truck) so I'll have to put them on aftermarket and just climb into and jump out of it. It didn't come with mud flaps either and I'll get those aftermarket also and put them on myself - soon, the tires are throwing rocks. Only other two things would be a bed liner but I might go with a rubber mat and a cap.

It's a basic truck, has AC and a 6-speed auto tranny. Other than a snow plow package and a heavy duty tow package/hitch, that's it. No carpeting, just a big rubber mat but I'm ok with that. Easier to clean. It has the second row seating that folds up but it's roomy enough for adults.

sounds to me like the best way to go...do that stuff yourself and save yourself the dough plus get the satisfaction of knowing you did it right.

Captain Obvious
07-21-2011, 10:04 PM
This truck has manually locking hubs, I didn't know they still made those until I bought it. Apparently they have them on the heavier duty trucks.

I had to drive to Portland ME for a Medicare hearing and my directions were fucked up, so I pulled off to the side of the road on a dirt patch to turn around. I couldn't get that fucker out of that dirt patch without kicking up dirt and jumping around - I was like "holy fuck", then I realized - those hubs are probably locked. I never thought to check them and yeah, they were locked. Basically the front transfer case was engaged but I wasn't in 4WD. No biggie, people keep that shit locked up but I freed them, why wear and tear the transfer case.

Funny thing about 4WD vehicles (as opposed to AWD vehicles which my wife has), if you keep it in 4WD on dry asphalt, the transfer case and tranny will get knotted up and could pop open. Basically the front wheels when turning turn at a slower radius than the rear wheels which caused the drivetrain to tighten up.

This time it was jumping around because the transfer case was engaged but not being driven.

wingrider
07-22-2011, 12:19 AM
guess I am to late cap

I was going to reccomend the Nissan Titan

Captain Obvious
07-22-2011, 08:47 PM
guess I am to late cap

I was going to reccomend the Nissan Titan

I looked at the Toyota Tundra. Positive was it's not American. Negative was it's underpowered and overpriced. Got the F250 for way less than the Tundra and it's twice the truck, but it's American which is my only concern.

The F250 has been a staple in trucks, a workhorse but we'll see in the long run.

Conley
08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Ford just recalled a shit ton of 150s...guess you're in the clear though?

Captain Obvious
08-03-2011, 08:15 PM

I dunno - probably. I'll look into it though.

I was jabbing my wife - she's filled her Sorento's tank up probably 10 times now, maybe more. I'm still on my second tank.

She does have over 3k miles on it already, I'm like 750.

Conley
08-08-2011, 08:37 PM

I dunno - probably. I'll look into it though.

I was jabbing my wife - she's filled her Sorento's tank up probably 10 times now, maybe more. I'm still on my second tank.

She does have over 3k miles on it already, I'm like 750.

Nice! Somehow I missed this when you posted it way back when...

Captain Obvious
08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Just did fill-up #3 today.

Wasn't actually a fill either, seems like you can't charge more than $75 on a credit card at gas stations any more.

Conley
08-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Wasn't actually a fill either, seems like you can't charge more than $75 on a credit card at gas stations any more.

Weird...never heard of that. They're going to have to change that rule. Wonder if it's a NH thing, like no self service in Jersey.

Captain Obvious
08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I've seen it at a lot of places, not just NH. Pump stops at 75 bucks.

Conley
08-10-2011, 08:56 PM
It's the credit cards:

"After reaching $75 on pay-at-the-pump purchases, credit card companies no longer cover merchants' costs for fraud or insufficient funds. Unless the retailer makes a special change, the $75 limit shuts down the pump.

Last year, when MasterCard upped its "chargeback" limit from $50 to $75 per purchase, the ceiling looked to be up in the stratosphere.

But fill a 20-gallon tank with $4.22-per-gallon gas -- the average in Syracuse Wednesday, according to GasBuddy.com -- and most pumps will stop slightly more than two gallons -- or $9.40 -- shy of being FULL.

Motorists, less likely to carry such wads of cash, are paying more with plastic.

"I just had a guy the other day with a fairly good-sized truck. It clicked off at $75, and he was questioning it. I said, 'Look, it's not us,'" said Art Hayes, owner of the Carrier Circle Mobil Station, and an officer of the Service Station & Repair Shop Operators of Upstate New York Inc.

"Trust me: I don't want to alienate somebody who is coming to my station. If you want to pump $200 worth, I want you to be able to pump $200.""

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/07/gas_pumps_shut_off_at_75.html

Mister D
08-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Weird...never heard of that. They're going to have to change that rule. Wonder if it's a NH thing, like no self service in Jersey.

I always feel funny when I have to pump my own gas. :D

Conley
08-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I've seen it at a lot of places, not just NH. Pump stops at 75 bucks.

Congrats on the big 5-0-0 ;)

Captain Obvious
08-11-2011, 06:37 PM
What's 5-0-0?

Conley
08-11-2011, 06:46 PM
What's 5-0-0?

5-0-4 now.

:P

Captain Obvious
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm clueless.

Conley
08-11-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm clueless.

Hmm...507 now. It has been going up since you logged in. ;)

Captain Obvious
08-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Oh yeah, post count.

AC/DC - Let's Get It Up [HD] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBrDNqR16aw#ws)

Conley
08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
:terribletowel: :terribletowel: :terribletowel: