PDA

View Full Version : So what are those of you who don't live in the frozen north doing outside these days.

donttread
01-23-2020, 07:27 PM
I pretty much go outside to shovel!

carolina73
01-23-2020, 07:38 PM
I moved out in 1990. Talk about the best move I ever made. The South is great and Southerners are great people.

Peter1469
01-23-2020, 07:40 PM
We have been getting into the low 20s at night, thankfully low humidity.

HawkTheSlayer
01-23-2020, 07:54 PM
Trying to finish some land leveling but it rains every 2-3 days. Starting off some tomato seeds indoors.

carolina73
01-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Trying to finish some land leveling but it rains every 2-3 days. Starting off some tomato seeds indoors.

Thanks for the reminder. Have to do that this weekend! I am always to late.

Lummy
01-23-2020, 09:29 PM
Haven't shoveled yet, but February can be a hungry polar bear in PA.

stjames1_53
01-24-2020, 06:38 AM
Just plain old rude weather here. Rainy and cold. I do outside work between drops..........
I found the secret to keeping the snow at bay. I simply break out the 5 year old NEW snow thrower (which I haven't needed to use in 4 years).
I break it out, service it, and the snow stays away..........

gamewell45
01-24-2020, 07:37 AM
I pretty much go outside to shovel!

I haven't picked up a shovel in years (at least for he driveway). I've got a wrangler so I just drop it into 4 wheel drive if needed and go about my business. The way I look at it, God put the snow there, God will take it away. :)

donttread
01-24-2020, 07:08 PM
I haven't picked up a shovel in years (at least for he driveway). I've got a wrangler so I just drop it into 4 wheel drive if needed and go about my business. The way I look at it, God put the snow there, God will take it away. :)

Yes, I suppose there are lots of places where that would be an option. I like it.

Peter1469
01-24-2020, 07:10 PM
I don't shovel my parking spot. I just park on top of the snow. It is pretty funny.

carolina73
01-24-2020, 07:16 PM
Feel sorry for us. It is 60 outside right now but it is going down to 54 tonight.

Dr. Who
01-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Feel sorry for us. It is 60 outside right now but it is going down to 54 tonight.

My heart bleeds for you. :tongue6:

Dr. Who
01-24-2020, 07:38 PM

You must not live in the city where you must remove the snow on the sidewalk and your personal walkway OR ELSE.

Peter1469
01-24-2020, 08:28 PM
This week our morning temps have been in the low 20s. I leave for work at 6am and where I work in on probably the highest part of DC. So it is always colder there with the wind. I didn't feel the need to wear a knit cap, or gloves and didn't even zip up my coat. I accumulated to the cold faster than normal.

Retirednsmilin308
01-24-2020, 09:50 PM
I has been wet & cold by ETX standards for the last several days here, but today and the next two were all sunshine.

What did I do? Chores around the homestead. They always need to be done when the weather is clear.

I received the last to the parts for my widget and began construction of five of them.

donttread
01-25-2020, 09:22 AM

Got your parkas and gloves ready? LOL. That is T-shirt weather for me, but I literally start melting around 80%

gamewell45
01-25-2020, 02:35 PM
You must not live in the city where you must remove the snow on the sidewalk and your personal walkway OR ELSE.
Very correct; I live in a rural part of NY where there are no sidewalks, street lights or sewers.

Peter1469
01-25-2020, 02:59 PM
Got your parkas and gloves ready? LOL. That is T-shirt weather for me, but I literally start melting around 80%
Luckily I grew up is very hot humid weather. I have lived in extreme cold and extreme dry heat. I am OK with all of it.

carolina73
01-25-2020, 03:26 PM

The problem is that we get used to it so when it goes down near freezing we think it is Antarctica. And I grew up in New England.
I live on the beach so we get extra relief from the water temperature in the winter and summer. We pay for it in the spring and fall when it is 80 inland and we are are 10 degrees colder in a mist.

Collateral Damage
01-25-2020, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Have to do that this weekend! I am always to late.
It's time to do it, based on moon phases, but too early based on average last frost date (don't know your location). Above ground crops should be between dark of the moon and full moon, root crops from full to dark of the moon.

The last frost date here id April 15. That means seeds should be started 6-7 weeks before then, other wise they will out grow multiple containers, or become leggy reaching for the sun by the time you can plant them in the ground. :)

donttread
01-26-2020, 05:33 PM

I knew about the sidewalk thing . I've always felt that was BS , it's not your sidewalk, plus from a practical POV people have to work and it would be more expiedient to have the city take care of it and charge a couple more bucks on the tax roles.
But i did not know that you were required to shovel your private walkway. How do they claim to have the right to do that?

Dr. Who
01-26-2020, 05:42 PM
I knew about the sidewalk thing . I've always felt that was BS , it's not your sidewalk, plus from a practical POV people have to work and it would be more expiedient to have the city take care of it and charge a couple more bucks on the tax roles.
But i did not know that you were required to shovel your private walkway. How do they claim to have the right to do that?

The city doesn't force you to clear your personal walkway, but if the postman has to use your walkway, and other delivery people, then if they slip and fall, you will be held liable.

Cotton1
01-29-2020, 12:25 AM
The city doesn't force you to clear your personal walkway, but if the postman has to use your walkway, and other delivery people, then if they slip and fall, you will be held liable.

I think its too much govt. I get the point but in my mind "tuf sht" for the postals etc. Change jobs. My reason is I dont like the citizen being responsible. Period. Im about to fall asleep. Ill have to look again tomorrow

donttread
02-15-2020, 09:39 AM
It's been below zero for a couple of days which has, as it typically does, at least shut down the snow machine.

Peter1469
02-15-2020, 09:52 AM
It dropped down to 21 last night. In the 30s now. Just got back from the local farmers market.

Cotton1
02-20-2020, 08:04 AM
Its actually snowing in Memphis this morning. i love it!

Standing Wolf
02-20-2020, 08:15 AM
The temperature here in the Phoenix area is supposed to get up to 82 today. Saw the first shirtless runner of the season yesterday, and the Diamondbacks have begun full team workouts. Spring is just around the corner.

My youngest is moving to D.C. next week, and he's been investing in heavier clothes. He actually had to go out and buy a coat! Can't remember the last time I owned one.

stjames1_53
02-20-2020, 08:16 AM
cold and too humid here.....a bad combination. Cold feels colder. or maybe it's just me.
Supposed to be nicer by next Monday.
We have no snow. It has snowed about a week ago, but it's all gone...........and I don't mind that one bit.

Cotton1
02-20-2020, 04:27 PM
cold and too humid here.....a bad combination. Cold feels colder. or maybe it's just me.
Supposed to be nicer by next Monday.
We have no snow. It has snowed about a week ago, but it's all gone...........and I don't mind that one bit.it surprised me that it snowed. wasnt in the forecast. i woke up about 5 AM and it was a steady rain. i love the rain so I sat and watched it for about an hour. suddenly , a few snowflakes (not millenials, the other ones lol) started falling then it came down. i watched it for another hour or so and I suppose God had better things to do than entertain me all morning so it stopped