PDA

View Full Version : Young Earth Creationism Destroyed By Meteorites

AZFlyFisher
03-24-2013, 03:27 PM

http://paleo.cc/ce/craters.htm (http://paleo.cc/ce/craters.htm)

"Crater evidence indicates that the earth, its moon, and other bodies in our solar system have been impacted by millions of meteorites. Most of the bombardment evidently hit during the during the first billion years of earth's history, before life existed on earth (Whitehouse, 2004). However, regardless of the precise timing or numbers of impacts, the evidence from the heavily cratered bodies in our solar system provides compelling evidence that the earth has suffered similarly massive bombardments. There also geologic evidence (actual remnants of crators and or meteoritic material) for dozens of significant impacts during the Phanerozoic era (after life was established on earth). Some of these would have caused severe ecological devastation. The most reknown is an impact at the end of the Cretaceous period (Sharpton, 1995) widely thought to have had a major role in the extinction of dinosaurs and many other animal groups. The Chicxulub crater in the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico has been implicated in this regard. The crater is about 160 km wide, and calculated to have been made by a meteorite approximately 10 - 15 km wide. Some scientists also believe bolide impacts may have caused or contributed to other mass extinctions, including a devastating one at the end of the Permian period, when over 90% of ocean species and about 70% of land vertebrates went extinct. Although other factors may have contributed to these extinction episodes, scientists are finding increasing evidence of correlation with large bolid impacts and their effects (Britt, 2006; Mory, 2000); Sellah, 2006).

This evidence of massive bombardment creates severe problems for the YEC viewpoint, as it must either be denied (which few have even tried to do) or somehow crammed it into a time frame of 10,000 years or less, without exterminating humans and most other creatures."

I haven't met a Young Earth Creationist who could overcome this dilemma yet.

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Well there aren't that many "Young Earth Creationists"; I wouldn't let them get you so uptight if I were you.