PDA

View Full Version : A less than $10 outdoors / utility knife.

Retirednsmilin308
02-16-2020, 04:55 AM
I had been using the one in pic one for years. At one point they were $9 on Amazon and they are the right size for doing pretty much everything. I got like six or eight of them and stashed then all over the place. The only drawback to them was the fact the blade is stainless steel. Too hard for stones, so I have a special sharpener that works well with them, but carbon steel is still the best choice for an overall, do everything knife.

Then, on another thread here, @Private Pickle (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=615) showed me the one in pic number 2, 3 & 4. They were only $10 on Amazon, so i ordered three.
They came in yesterday.
They are very light and have carbon steel blades.
They even fit in my horizontal sheath I carry every day.

Not bad at all. They are called Morakniv and 100% made in Sweden.

I do think the blade is a bit small and thin for all the times I go out for days at a time in the woods.

...but for every day knocking around they are great.

Thanks @Private Pickle (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=615).

I am always looking for another cool piece of kit.

Dave

Lummy
02-16-2020, 05:24 AM
I had been using the one in pic one for years. At one point they were $9 on Amazon and they are the right size for doing pretty much everything. I got like six or eight of them and stashed then all over the place. The only drawback to them was the fact the blade is stainless steel. Too hard for stones, so I have a special sharpener that works well with them, but carbon steel is still the best choice for an overall, do everything knife.

Then, on another thread here, @Private Pickle (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=615) showed me the one in pic number 2, 3 & 4. They were only $10 on Amazon, so i ordered three.
They came in yesterday.

I do think the blade is a bit small and thin for all the times I go out for days at a time in the woods.

Moraknivs are among the most popular outdoor knives, partly for their low price and great quality.

The harder carbon knives are harder to sharpen than the ss knives. For example, Swiss Army knives are relatively soft stainless steel. They sharpen very quickly, but also dull quickly. Not a problem. I carry two of them and use them daily. Carbon knives are much harder and so harder to sharpen. :studying:

You got a good deal. Those knives will last you a long time.

Private Pickle
02-16-2020, 11:32 AM

They came in yesterday.

Dave

Your welcome. Mora has a bunch of options so poke around Amazon for a beefier blade.

Private Pickle
02-17-2020, 01:17 AM

They came in yesterday.

Dave

They actually have a line of Kitchen knives I was looking at. I've been so happy with their field knives that I can't resist. I'm thinking their kitchen knives would be excellent as well.

Retirednsmilin308
02-17-2020, 01:57 AM
They actually have a line of Kitchen knives I was looking at. I've been so happy with their field knives that I can't resist. I'm thinking their kitchen knives would be excellent as well.

In Rhode Island, I found an awesome set of kitchen knives in a butcher block for $10. That was in 2001 and I still have and used them. Good kitchen knives are a God-send.

I also have a 12 inch Sabatier French chef knife I got in 1980 I still have.
It came with instructions on how to give it a good "greying" on the blade that was in the white using mayonnaise, a lemon half, garlic, and I forget what else.
You rubbed in on the blade in small circles then wiped it off immediately.
It looked pretty awesome, but looks even better now with all the use I have given it.

Now I apply that same process to any new "in the white" swords I get.

I just love that little "ka-ching" noise it makes with the slightest graze. Now that's good steel!
(the wife is afraid of it. She thinks it is a machete)

Private Pickle
02-17-2020, 02:06 AM
That looks like Damascus steel! It may just be the pic.

Private Pickle
02-17-2020, 02:16 AM
Check out this Mora:

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Bushcraft-Carbon-Fixed-4-3-Inch/dp/B009O01H0Y/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=morakniv+survival&qid=1581923241&sr=8-5

Specifically bushcraft and a little more beefy however; I think we agree that many survivalists feel they need a knife that is far more large than is required. In the militia I'm part of I see guys with Bowie knives (I have one, it's awesome), I see guys with kukri knives...It's overkill and too much weight.

With that being said I'll say it again, the best all around survival knife is the M9 bayonet. There is no competitor. However; it costs $150 for an authentic. It's heavy and it is only for bushcraft. It's hard to clean a fish with it.

I have two. The next best thing is the Gerber. I have one of those as well. Same issues.

But for the money nothing beats the Morakniv. The blade is superior. The cost can't be beat. You can buy 10 of them and they will last you for the rest of your life.

They aren't as "cool" as the M9 but they will do everything the M9 will do outside of cutting wire given that cool function in the sheath.

Retirednsmilin308
02-17-2020, 02:34 AM
That looks like Damascus steel! It may just be the pic.

It is the pic. It just has a very seasoned greying job to it that was done right the first time.
I love that old kitchen knife.
I can take out a pizza from the oven with it if I am careful.
Then cut it up with it too.

Retirednsmilin308
02-17-2020, 02:50 AM
Check out this Mora:

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Bushcraft-Carbon-Fixed-4-3-Inch/dp/B009O01H0Y/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=morakniv+survival&qid=1581923241&sr=8-5

Specifically bushcraft and a little more beefy however; I think we agree that many survivalists feel they need a knife that is far more large than is required. In the militia I'm part of I see guys with Bowie knives (I have one, it's awesome), I see guys with kukri knives...It's overkill and too much weight.

With that being said I'll say it again, the best all around survival knife is the M9 bayonet. There is no competitor. However; it costs $150 for an authentic. It's heavy and it is only for bushcraft. It's hard to clean a fish with it.

I have two. The next best thing is the Gerber. I have one of those as well. Same issues.

But for the money nothing beats the Morakniv. The blade is superior. The cost can't be beat. You can buy 10 of them and they will last you for the rest of your life.

They aren't as "cool" as the M9 but they will do everything the M9 will do outside of cutting wire given that cool function in the sheath.

I just ordered it.
They may have gotten some feedback about how thin the others were.
I like the light weight, and this new one looks like it will do just fine.

yes, the M9 is hands-down the best knife to have out in the woods. This is why I got two of them about ten years ago.
I got rid of that bulky sheath and now they are almost perfect.
You are right, none of us will be fighting grizzly bears with any knife, but some think they will.

Let them walk over hill and dale a few days and they will change their mind.
Modern survivalists place too much emphasis on fighting and very little on eating and drinking.

I feel a small wound may be a death sentence in some scenarios.
If they go around getting in firefights all the time, they will get hit sooner or later.

...and if you are fighting, or not fighting, you still need water and something to eat.
Much more water if your stress is high.

On my vest each pocket in the end has a water bottle in it.
I have six mag pouches and only two of them have a mag.
The other two have water bottles as i mentioned
...and the other two have pills, and medical supplies.

I found as time passes and I am still kicking, I am more of a " BUG INNER " than a bug outer.

...but when i workout in the morning, I wear my vest.