PDA

View Full Version : For the Birds

donttread
02-16-2020, 11:10 AM
I started feeding the birds a week or two ago and it has been interesting. First of all as my son with a bio degree told me most of our winter birds look very similar. Juncos, sparrows, possibly a wren or two and Chickadees etc look very similar from a distance. Nature appears to have selected a physical prototype for small northern birds who have to make it through the winter.
In addition to that a couple of Blue Jays have showed up to rule the roost. It was -10 the other day and you should see how big one of those Jays was puffed up.
Nothing really interesting though. the Jays pretty much drive the Squirrels off.

Peter1469
02-16-2020, 11:18 AM
Speaking of birds, we had ducks flying over last week.

countryboy
02-16-2020, 12:39 PM

Up until it got really cold a week or so ago, we still had Canada geese and mallards hanging around.

countryboy
02-16-2020, 12:48 PM
I started feeding the birds a week or two ago and it has been interesting. First of all as my son with a bio degree told me most of our winter birds look very similar. Juncos, sparrows, possibly a wren or two and Chickadees etc look very similar from a distance. Nature appears to have selected a physical prototype for small northern birds who have to make it through the winter.
In addition to that a couple of Blue Jays have showed up to rule the roost. It was -10 the other day and you should see how big one of those Jays was puffed up.
Nothing really interesting though. the Jays pretty much drive the Squirrels off.

We have quite a few winter birds here. I was watching a woodpecker the other day from my truck, on my way up our little road. Followed him from tree to tree for a couple hundred feet. I get a lot of bird pics on our trail cams. Turkeys are fun to watch.

Lummy
02-16-2020, 12:57 PM

I know some ducks of no particular species stay around and do not migrate. They are to be found wherever there is open, unfrozen water, like at an underground spring outlet.

Lummy
02-16-2020, 12:58 PM

I suppose either really really late, really really early, or local inhabitants.

gamewell45
02-16-2020, 01:12 PM

I've read where Blue jays can be very aggressive, especially if they feel threatened.

Just AnotherPerson
02-17-2020, 07:14 AM
I've read where Blue jays can be very aggressive, especially if they feel threatened.

You mean like this? :) This little guy was partying in my neck of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXaLK_4A66s

gamewell45
02-17-2020, 07:35 AM
The video says it all. Now that I think of it, I believe the Blue Jay is NY's state bird.

John Galt
02-17-2020, 08:26 AM
Spring in the north is always a fascinating time for people who feed birds. We see birds that are just stopping through on the way to Canada, as well as those that are returning to stay. The drab winter colors are gone, and they are in full breeding mode. I've been feeding birds for decades. Some are very social, and many are not. I find the finches to be some of the most skittish.

Caught this collection a few years ago. The rose breasted grosbeak has a few ladies with him. They tend to be pretty tame. The indigo buntings don't stay long, but when they're here, it's a great time to have a camera.

Few birds are as striking at the goldfinch. They tend to show up in large numbers.

John Galt
02-17-2020, 08:40 AM
I was weeding the flower beds one morning a few years ago. I saw these two on a cleome. They were so busy that I had time to run for my camera, and capture them in macro mode.

Still can't identify them. Anyone ever see these birds before?

John Galt
02-17-2020, 02:25 PM
Few birds are as awe inspiring as the raptors. I've fed these guys for decades while Ice fishing. This one came by to harass me one day because I wasn't out fishing.

donttread
02-17-2020, 06:32 PM

I used to enjoy duck hunting. It is different than most types of hunting as there is typically some action but inbetween that action you can move around, visit have a snack etc.

donttread
02-17-2020, 06:34 PM

They sure are with the other birds and the squirrels.

donttread
02-17-2020, 06:37 PM
I was weeding the flower beds one morning a few years ago. I saw these two on a cleome. They were so busy that I had time to run for my camera, and capture them in macro mode.

Still can't identify them. Anyone ever see these birds before?

Yes, they are known as the "Horny Bug bird" LO(L

donttread
02-17-2020, 06:41 PM
The video says it all. Now that I think of it, I believe the Blue Jay is NY's state bird.

Blue bird.

John Galt
02-18-2020, 08:30 AM
You mean like this? :) This little guy was partying in my neck of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXaLK_4A66sThose are much nicer looking than our blue jays

John Galt
02-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Anyone feed hummers? We only have ruby throated hummingbirds here, but there are a variety of them in the western/southern states. These guys fascinate me. The same ones come back every year. How do I know? Because if the feeders aren't out in the spring when they get here, they hover outside the window to let us know it's feeding time.

donttread
02-18-2020, 03:59 PM
Anyone feed hummers? We only have ruby throated hummingbirds here, but there are a variety of them in the western/southern states. These guys fascinate me. The same ones come back every year. How do I know? Because if the feeders aren't out in the spring when they get here, they hover outside the window to let us know it's feeding time.

I have not fed them in the past, but they are around the garden so maybe I will feed them this year.

John Galt
02-18-2020, 04:52 PM
I have not fed them in the past, but they are around the garden so maybe I will feed them this year.
I wholeheartedly recommend it. Sugar and water. 3 parts water to 1 part sugar. If the feeders are in a sunny location, you might have to change the water every two or three days depending on temp. The sugar water ferments.

donttread
02-21-2020, 09:51 AM
I wholeheartedly recommend it. Sugar and water. 3 parts water to 1 part sugar. If the feeders are in a sunny location, you might have to change the water every two or three days depending on temp. The sugar water ferments.

I also heard some of the pre mix stuff is really too sweet and not good for the birds. so if i mix my own I change the water when the humming birds look drunk, right? LOL

donttread
02-21-2020, 09:57 AM
So my bird feeding experiment has had the unintended consequence of pulling in what seems like it must be several square acres worth ob Blue Jays, at one time 10! That, as you might imagine, interferrs with the smaller birds feeding. Short of stinging them with my BB gun any thoughts?

countryboy
02-26-2020, 07:41 PM
Had a very rare sighting of a barred owl, and an even rarer opportunity to snap a couple of blurry cell phone pics. In fact, this is the very first barred owl I have ever sighted on this land in the 20+ years I've lived here. You hear them all the time, with their classic "who cooks for you" hoot, but I have never seen one until now. Pretty darn kewl.

Calypso Jones
10-23-2020, 02:29 PM
Few birds are as awe inspiring as the raptors. I've fed these guys for decades while Ice fishing. This one came by to harass me one day because I wasn't out fishing.

hmmmm good eatin'.

Lummy
10-23-2020, 02:37 PM
It's illegal to eat the National Bird, CJ. Well, time to get to prayin'.

Lummy
10-23-2020, 02:41 PM
I have an owl in my yard every now and then. I don't think they fly off, but too hard to locate in the dark.

TheOneOnly2
10-23-2020, 08:26 PM
You guys are obsessed with birds.

My dad feeds some magpies that live in a tree near his house.

US Conservative
10-27-2020, 07:48 AM

My old place, we had many many raptors. Most wild (Hawks-which named the town, eagles, and kestrals, and falcons in order of appearance).

They were in the snake, mice, rat, rabbit, and squirrel business-and business was booming, plus no doubt a smattering of small to medium dogs, I know coyotes didn't get them all.

A problem arose when they left their feathers around-technically I couldn't possess an eagle feather.

I was tying flies at the time.