PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Roast Beef

oceanloverOH
03-25-2013, 07:56 AM
It's snowing hard outside today....which calls for "comfort food". So I started a roast beef in my crockpot this morning. Seems like everybody has their own recipe for crockpot roast beef....here's mine:

Crockpot Roast Beef
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 8-10 hours
•2 - 3 lb chuck pot roast (the flat kind works best)
•2 Tbsp Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce (this is important, it’s the difference between a good crockpot roast and a great crockpot roast. It’s a small 4 oz brown bottle with a yellow cap, usually found in the grocery near the barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, etc.)
•Lawry’s Garlic Pepper (spice area of grocery, jar with red cap)
•½ - 1 large yellow onion, chopped
•1 can cream of mushroom soup
•Optional: ½ lb baby carrots, halved
•Optional: ½ lb tiny red potatoes with peel, scrubbed and halved/quartered
•Optional: 1 4.5 oz jar Green Giant sliced mushrooms
•2 tsp cornstarch blended with 2 tsp cold tap water (only if needed to thicken gravy)

Paint roast liberally on both sides with Kitchen Bouquet Sauce using pastry brush. This gives the roast a “browner” flavor and makes the gravy superb.

Sprinkle roast with Garlic Pepper (really coat it good if you like garlic) on both sides.

Place roast in crockpot. Place chopped onions on top of roast. Dump can of soup on top of onions and spread a bit to cover. Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.

Note: If I'm going to use carrots and/or potatoes, I add them around the sides of the roast about 6 hours before roast is done (they tend to get too mushy if added at the start of cooking time).

Carefully remove meat from crockpot to covered dish to keep warm (it will be so fork-tender it will likely fall to pieces as you remove it). If you added carrots/potatoes, remove them now with a big slotted spoon.

Gravy: every roast beef puts out different amounts of liquid. If juices seem thick enough to be gravy after removal of roast, then add optional jar of mushrooms, turn crockpot to HIGH and simmer for 10 minutes. If juices seem a bit thin, add cornstarch/water mixture to juices, mix well, then add mushrooms and simmer (more cornstarch/water mixture can be added if needed, 2 tsp at a time). Refrigerate gravy and meat in separate covered containers for leftovers.

Makes about 1 serving per ½ lb of meat.

Santa's Little Helper
03-25-2013, 08:00 AM
It's snowing hard outside today....which calls for "comfort food". So I started a roast beef in my crockpot this morning. Seems like everybody has their own recipe for crockpot roast beef....here's mine:

Crockpot Roast Beef
•2 Tbsp Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce (this is important, it’s the difference between a good crockpot roast and a great crockpot roast. It’s a small 4 oz brown bottle with a yellow cap, usually found in the grocery near the barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, etc.)
•2 tsp cornstarch blended with 2 tsp cold tap water (only if needed to thicken gravy)

Paint roast liberally on both sides with Kitchen Bouquet Sauce using pastry brush. This gives the roast a “browner” flavor and makes the gravy superb).

Sprinkle roast with Garlic Pepper (really coat it good if you like garlic) on both sides.

Place roast in crockpot. Place chopped onions on top of roast. Dump can of soup on top of onions and spread a bit to cover. Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.

Note: If I'm going to use carrots and/or potatoes, I add them around the sides of the roast about 6 hours before roast is done (they tend to get too mushy if added at the start of cooking time).

Carefully remove meat from crockpot to covered dish to keep warm (it will be so fork-tender it will likely fall to pieces as you remove it). If you added carrots/potatoes, remove them now with a big slotted spoon.

Gravy: every roast beef puts out different amounts of liquid. If juices seem thick enough to be gravy after removal of roast, then add optional jar of mushrooms, turn crockpot to HIGH and simmer for 10 minutes. If juices seem a bit thin, add cornstarch/water mixture to juices, mix well, then add mushrooms and simmer (more cornstarch/water mixture can be added if needed, 2 tsp at a time). Refrigerate gravy and meat in separate covered containers for leftovers.

That sound like a whole full coarse meal

COMFORT FOOD traditionally means stuff like Mac & Cheese, pizza, mashed potatoes,sweets, etc

Just saying

oceanloverOH
03-25-2013, 08:01 AM

COMFORT FOOD traditionally means stuff like Mac & Cheese, pizza, mashed potatoes,sweets, etc

Just saying

Yes, of course, this is our dinner tonight. What time will you be here?

Yeah, I know it's not traditional comfort food....but this poor little diabetic can't have any of that stuff, so this is comfort food to me!

Santa's Little Helper
03-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes, of course, this is our dinner tonight. What time will you be here?

Yeah, I know it's not traditional comfort food....but this poor little diabetic can't have any of that stuff, so this is comfort food to me!

Considering that I live atleast 400/500 miles from Dayton Ohio it is NOT LIKELY that I will be stopping by for dinner although I wrote down your Gumbo recipe the other day and am thinking of trying that someday myself

Thanks for offering though

Cigar
03-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Hummmmmmmmmm Goooood

oceanloverOH
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Hummmmmmmmmm Goooood

You got snow today too, Cigar?

Cigar
03-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Hummmmmmmmmm Goooood

Nope ... just a light dusting.

All the snow is north of me.

Peter1469
03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
The roast beef looks good.

We got about 3 inches of snow here. Maybe less. I will have to look for an official measure.

Captain Obvious
03-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Crock pots are under-rated.

Peter1469
03-25-2013, 06:27 PM
I like mine.

Dr. Who
03-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Just saying
Comfort food means different things to different people. For many comfort food is really just something mom would make like a pot roast, stew or casserole, or even mac and cheese as opposed to a gourmet meal at a restaurant.

Peter1469
03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Comfort food to me, is food I make myself without boxes and chemicals and processing. And it is the entire process, not just the eating.

Mister D
03-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Comfort food means different things to different people. For many comfort food is really just something mom would make like a pot roast, stew or casserole, or even mac and cheese as opposed to a gourmet meal at a restaurant.

It typically refers to high calorie home cooked fare but I thin the way you do. I love chili peppers, garlic, and onion. When they are present in spades it's comfort food...for me.

Mister D
03-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Comfort food to me, is food I make myself without boxes and chemicals and processing. And it is the entire process, not just the eating.

I even like shopping now.

Peter1469
03-25-2013, 09:08 PM

For food, right?

Mister D
03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
For food, right?

:grin: Yes.

Peter1469
03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Just checking. :smiley:

Common
03-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Crockpot Roast Beef

Paint roast liberally on both sides with Kitchen Bouquet Sauce using pastry brush. This gives the roast a “browner” flavor and makes the gravy superb.

Ocean just change one thing and try it. Take a stainless pot, high heat, drop the meat in and sear it and brown it on high heat on all sides first. Dont cook it just get it good and browned, then follow your recipe I think you will like the results.

Common
03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Heh so do I lol all my working life I didnt have the dang time to go food shopping, it was work, work more and when you get a short break do all the work around the house that needed to be done, none stop work.
Now to take a day with my wife and take a ride to samsclub or bjs and leisurely stroll around the store then go to publix or super walmart and pick up what we need is enjoyable. How life changes.

Common
03-28-2013, 07:26 AM
My wife and I love what I call italian peasant food. Its actually good for you because its made with good ingredients an most have zero fat in them, for example. Tonight were having pasta and beans with broccoli sauteed in garlic and olive oil.

Blanche broccoli, then dice it very fine. Cannoli beans drained and either make your own or use canned.
Drain the beans and wash them. Take olive oil and sautee a ton of garlic to taste, for us there is never enough garlic. The toss in the broccoli and beans and stir add a little water and let simmer 2 -3 mins.
Weve been using and buying the whole wheat pasta because there is no gluten in it. Just boil the past and toss that over it and mix it. Tip: We make it ahead of time let it sit, then reheat it and it tastes far better. Just throw some romano or parmesan cheese and youre good to go, I throw lots of hot pepper seeds on mine.

oceanloverOH
03-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Ocean just change one thing and try it. Take a stainless pot, high heat, drop the meat in and sear it and brown it on high heat on all sides first. Dont cook it just get it good and browned, then follow your recipe I think you will like the results.

I used to do that when I made my roast in a pot on the stove. I'll give it a try the next time I make a crockpot roast, Common, thanks.

Mister D
03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
My wife and I love what I call italian peasant food. Its actually good for you because its made with good ingredients an most have zero fat in them, for example. Tonight were having pasta and beans with broccoli sauteed in garlic and olive oil.

Blanche broccoli, then dice it very fine. Cannoli beans drained and either make your own or use canned.
Drain the beans and wash them. Take olive oil and sautee a ton of garlic to taste, for us there is never enough garlic. The toss in the broccoli and beans and stir add a little water and let simmer 2 -3 mins.
Weve been using and buying the whole wheat pasta because there is no gluten in it. Just boil the past and toss that over it and mix it. Tip: We make it ahead of time let it sit, then reheat it and it tastes far better. Just throw some romano or parmesan cheese and youre good to go, I throw lots of hot pepper seeds on mine.

I'm big on simple dishes like that too. I hate whole wheat pasta though. I eat a lot of whole grains but the pasta, IMO, is awful.

I sometimes make a very simple dish of spaghetti or linguine with a two crushed cloves of raw garlic, extra virgin olive oil, pepper flakes, grated parmesan.

TNHarley
03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Sounds weird but a roast in tomato soup in the crockpot is absolutely AMAZING!
Has a red tint, but the taste MORE than makes up for it.
I also like to do ranch powder a little beer and a spice or 2

Mister D
03-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Not weird at all. Simmering in a stock is great.

Peter1469
03-28-2013, 12:51 PM
I like to simmer a roast in Guinness.

oceanloverOH
03-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Actually, the tomato soup vs. the cream of mushroom soup sounds pretty good....bet the gravy is wonderful. I may try this, thanks!

Captain Obvious
03-28-2013, 04:29 PM
I like to simmer a roast in Guinness.

I prefer simmering my gullet in Guinness.

Mister D
03-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I prefer simmering my gullet in Guinness.

There really isn't any reason you can't do both.

Mister D
03-28-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm on a raw garlic kick now. I've eaten raw garlic in salads and pasta for years but not that often. I find two raw cloves, however, is harder on the breath but doesn't seep out of your pores like 8 sauteed cloves will.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2013, 07:07 PM
There really isn't any reason you can't do both.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8cMHFP7p4tUjSu0Mo9Zgdn6gbRrQn9 HXzs4N2WfUQfjUcXNDv

Mister D
03-28-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm not a big fan but did you know that Guinness is relatively low in calories? Fewer than Bud.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2013, 07:10 PM
That I did not know.

I don't go out of my way for Guinness, but if I'm out and the tap beer selection is budmiller with a couple of "craft" beers (every time I see "craft beer" I run) and Guinness, I opt for it.

Mister D
03-28-2013, 07:13 PM
That I did not know.

I don't go out of my way for Guinness, but if I'm out and the tap beer selection is budmiller with a couple of "craft" beers (every time I see "craft beer" I run) and Guinness, I opt for it.

I'm a small dude so I generally go with American lagers (AKA Budmiller) if I'm on a mission which I usually am on Fridays and Saturdays. I've tried Guinness and I think it has a slight porter taste.

Common
03-28-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm big on simple dishes like that too. I hate whole wheat pasta though. I eat a lot of whole grains but the pasta, IMO, is awful.

I sometimes make a very simple dish of spaghetti or linguine with a two crushed cloves of raw garlic, extra virgin olive oil, pepper flakes, grated parmesan.

Try Ronzoni it tastes better than most of them. Muellers and Barillas are terrible and if you have an aldi around you theres is pretty good also.
By the way that simple dish you described is peasant food. Its spaghetti or linquine aioli. I LOVE IT, great stuff

Mister D
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Try Ronzoni it tastes better than most of them. Muellers and Barillas are terrible and if you have an aldi around you theres is pretty good also.
By the way that simple dish you described is peasant food. Its spaghetti or linquine aioli. I LOVE IT, great stuff

We have similar tastes. It's not only healthy food but very inexpensive food. That chunk of parm might cost me a 20 spot but it lasts me months.

You know, there is one brand that makes a mix. I think it might be Barilla. It's a mix of white flour and legumes, I believe. Not sure what exactly. Some kind of bean obviously. That was good.

Mister D
03-28-2013, 08:51 PM
oceanloverOH So I spoke to the Hungarian. I made some critical stuffed cabbage mistakes. I went about peeling the cabbage all wrong. I cored them first. Mistake. I bought big fat white ones. Mistake. :sad: I now understand better. The seeds of success and failure, my dear, are sown early. I'm also kind of tipsy if you couldn't tell.

oceanloverOH
03-28-2013, 08:54 PM
LOL, Mister D! Enjoy your buzz! When you're not buzzing, can you give me the recipe, or didn't he write anything down?

Mister D
03-28-2013, 08:59 PM
LOL, @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4)! Enjoy your buzz! When you're not buzzing, can you give me the recipe, or didn't he write anything down?

It's all about handling that mysterious cabbage properly. It's all in the prep. Garbage in, garbage out. I will say now DO NOT CORE THE CABBAGE. Also, choose greener cabbage wioth the outer leaves falling off.

I'm not one for recipes but I a giving this another go in a week or two. I will document my efforts.

oceanloverOH
03-28-2013, 09:02 PM
It's all about handling that mysterious cabbage properly. It's all in the prep. Garbage in, garbage out. I will say now DO NOT CORE THE CABBAGE. Also, choose greener cabbage wioth the outer leaves falling off.

I'm not one for recipes but I a giving this another go in a week or two. I will document my efforts.

Um....shall I say prayers?

Mister D
03-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Um....shall I say prayers?

It's in the bag! :cool2: Chef D does not fail twice.

Common
03-28-2013, 09:09 PM
We have similar tastes. It's not only healthy food but very inexpensive food. That chunk of parm might cost me a 20 spot but it lasts me months.

You know, there is one brand that makes a mix. I think it might be Barilla. It's a mix of white flour and legumes, I believe. Not sure what exactly. Some kind of bean obviously. That was good.

Theres a couple that make that Barilla calls it Barilla Plus it adds vitamins and yes has legumes in it. Other companies make it under different names. Also theres garden pastas now also.
As for cheeses I love them all, Romano, Parmesan and Asiago. I buy small portions of each and switch and mix.

Mister D
03-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Theres a couple that make that Barilla calls it Barilla Plus it adds vitamins and yes has legumes in it. Other companies make it under different names. Also theres garden pastas now also.
As for cheeses I love them all, Romano, Parmesan and Asiago. I buy small portions of each and switch and mix.

That was it! Barilla Plus.

Common
03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
That I did not know.

When I drink beer I like heavier beers, like St paulie girl or Heiney, Moosehead. American beer is eh.
I do like my glass of wine with dinner. Im not a white wine fan except for Pinot Grigio, I like reds

Peter1469
03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
When I drink beer I like heavier beers, like St paulie girl or Heiney, Moosehead. American beer is eh.
I do like my glass of wine with dinner. Im not a white wine fan except for Pinot Grigio, I like reds

Those aren't heavier beers. Expand to Belgium and real German beers.

Common
03-29-2013, 06:35 AM
St Pauli Girl is heavy and real german beer. I named those I drink others to pete but I dont drink beer often and when I do its one or two.

Santa's Little Helper
03-30-2013, 07:14 AM

Common
03-30-2013, 08:10 AM
What was the point of that post santa

Santa's Little Helper
03-30-2013, 08:16 AM
What was the point of that post santa

I dunno try this one on for size

Common
03-30-2013, 08:21 AM
You have issues kid