PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Lady

Conley
11-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Any of you all hear about The Iron Lady yet? It's a movie coming out with Meryl Streep as Maggie Thatcher.

The film's depiction of Thatcher has been criticised by her children, Mark and Carol Thatcher, who are reported to have said, "It sounds like some Left-wing fantasy."[9] Stuart Jeffries of the left wing British newspaper The Guardian was cautiously optimistic about a non-British actor playing Thatcher, but expressed concern that its "narrative trajectory" could overlook "rage about what Thatcher, economy destroyer and warmonger, was doing to Britain" in favour of an "exclusive focus on Thatcher as a woman triumphing against the odds."[10]

The Mail on Sunday reported in August 2011 that some viewers invited to a test screening of the unfinished film were concerned at the film’s depiction of Margaret Thatcher’s frail health in recent years.[11]

Early reviews have praised Streep's portrayal.[12] The Times Kevin Maher said: "Streep has found the woman within the caricature."[12] David Gritten at The Telegraph commented; "Awards should be coming Streep's way; yet her brilliance rather overshadows the film itself."[13] Xan Brooks of The Guardian said Streep's performance "is astonishing and all but flawless".[14] Critic Baz Bamigboye of the Daily Mail wrote: "Only an actress of Streep's stature could possibly capture Thatcher's essence and bring it to the screen. It's a performance of towering proportions that sets a new benchmark for acting."[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Lady_(film)

Economy destroyer and warmonger? The U.K. had a lot of economic problems while she was in office but that seems harsh. Anyhow it definitely seems opinions will be divided over the movie as they were over the woman. It comes out in Dec / Jan.

Peter1469
11-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Lady Thatcher saved the UK economy; what do you expect from the left? They don't have a clue.

Conley
11-19-2011, 02:53 PM
This was made at least partly by the British so I thought maybe they'd have a positive spin on her? Is she generally less popular in the UK than Reagan is here? Seems to me she did a lot of good in the Cold War, but I admit I don't know a lot about it or prevailing attitudes in the UK. Perhaps she was more controversial and while our country has become more conservative than it used to be theirs' trended liberal, at least for a while.

Peter1469
11-19-2011, 03:23 PM
I think that the Brits treat her pretty much the same as we treat Reagan.

Elibe
11-19-2011, 03:54 PM
reagan is treated like a god here but thatcher not as much in the uk

here you won't find a single republican say a bad thing about him even though he started running up the debt we have to deal with today

Peter1469
11-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Did Reagan run up the debt, or did congress run up the debt?

Reagan and Congress agreed to raise $1 of taxes for $3 of cuts. Congress ended up spending $3 more in taxes for every $1 cuts.

If you are upset of too much government spending, which I doubt you are, at least identify the right people as the spenders.

Mr. Wonderful
11-19-2011, 06:04 PM
There you go. It's usually Congress that is the source of the problems and a Democratic Congress is even worse.

Conley
11-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Sounds to me like Peter is right, Thatcher is viewed in the U.K. like Reagan is here...opinions are divided, some like him and some blame him. I don't think you can argue that the man (and our nation) faced some very tough challenges during that time and we came out on top. For that I will always be thankful.

jgreer
11-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Did Reagan run up the debt, or did congress run up the debt?

Reagan and Congress agreed to raise $1 of taxes for $3 of cuts. Congress ended up spending $3 more in taxes for every $1 cuts.

If you are upset of too much government spending, which I doubt you are, at least identify the right people as the spenders.

Do you have a link to prove your claim? I think you are wrong about that

Peter1469
11-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I understand that you have a valid law suit against all of your history professors.

Sometimes Reagan went along with a pragamatist like chief of staff James Baker, who persuaded the president to accept the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 (TEFRA), which turned out to be the great tax increase of 1982 -- $98 billion over the next three years. That was too much for eighty-nine House Republicans (including second-term Congressman Newt Gingrich of Georgia) or for prominent conservative organizations from the American Conservative Union like the Conservative Caucus and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which all opposed the measure.

Baker assured his boss that Congress would approve three dollars in spending cuts for every dollar of tax increase. To Reagan, TEFRA looked like a pretty good "70 percent" deal. But Congress wound up cutting less than twenty-seven cents for every new tax dollar. What had seemed to be an acceptable 70-30 compromise turned out to be a 30-70 surrender. Ed Meese described TEFRA as "the greatest domestic error of the Reagan administration," although it did leave untouched the individual tax rate reductions approved the previous year. (TEFRA was built on a series of business and excise taxes plus the removal of business tax deductions.)[xxx]

The basic problem was that Reagan believed, as Lyn Nofziger put it, that members of Congress "wouldn't lie to him when he should have known better."[xxxi] As a result of TEFRA, Reagan learned to "trust but verify," whether he was dealing with a Speaker of the House or a president of the Soviet Union.

http://www.reagansheritage.org/html/reagan_edwards12.shtml

jgreer
11-19-2011, 09:30 PM
LOL you use Reagan's own web page as your evidence??

Mister D
11-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Reagan is dead. He doesn't have a website.

Conley
11-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Reagan is dead. He doesn't have a website.

What? That's crazy talk...I just friended him on Facebook! ;D