PDA

View Full Version : Gaddafi's Last Fugitive Son Captured

Conley
11-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks to Pete for the heads up ;)

TRIPOLI, Libya — Libya’s transitional government said Saturday that its fighters in the southwestern desert had captured Seif al-Islam el-Qaddafi, the last fugitive son and one-time heir apparent of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi.

In a scene of celebration outstripped only by news of Colonel Qaddafi’s capture and death last month, Tripoli’s streets erupted in revelry. Vehicles clogged intersections, horns blaring, and militiamen shot their rifles into the sky.

Officials here in the capital promised that Mr. Qaddafi would be closely guarded so that he could face trial. But in a troubling echo of Colonel Qaddafi’s capture a month ago, in which he was killed while in the hands of militiamen without ever reaching the capital, the local militias that announced Seif al-Islam’s capture on Saturday suggested they would be the brokers of his fate, at least for now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/world/africa/gaddafi-son-captured-seif-al-islam-qaddafi-libya.html

Looks like the militias are already making threats, but the fact that he's survived in captivity this long is more than could be said for his father. I wonder who is in charge of his security now and what crimes he will be charged with.

Peter1469
11-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I wonder what odds Vegas has for him surviving much longer.

I really don't know anything about him and what crimes he could be charged with. He probably will get a lot of Dad stuff thrown onto him, assuming he survives that long.

Conley
11-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I wonder what odds Vegas has for him surviving much longer.

I really don't know anything about him and what crimes he could be charged with. He probably will get a lot of Dad stuff thrown onto him, assuming he survives that long.

Yes, I think you're right about that last point. He'll be tried for his dad's crimes. From the article it sounded like he was largely pro-Western but tried to adopt a radical Muslim stance once things started to fall apart.