PDA

View Full Version : Huckleberry Finn

Perianne
04-12-2020, 09:40 PM
I found an old copy of Huckleberry Finn and started reading it. What a delight!

My favorite old classic book, which I read every five years or so, is Robinson Crusoe.

Anyone else enjoy reading the classics?

Mister D
04-12-2020, 09:47 PM

My favorite old classic book, which I read every five years or so, is Robinson Crusoe.

Yes. I'm a Dostoyevsky fan but I haven't read any fiction in a long time. Dracula is my favorite novel. I loved it.

Perianne
04-12-2020, 09:54 PM
Neither do I read any fiction, or haven't for a long time. But a review of the old classics is a good reprieve.

Mister D
04-12-2020, 09:56 PM
For sure. I've really focused on my training goals and reading to help me get through the quarantine.

Perianne
04-12-2020, 10:05 PM
Mister D

Do you mind sharing what you do?

Standing Wolf
04-12-2020, 11:20 PM

I'm re-reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories for the first time in many years. I've read more than a hundred new Sherlockian stories since Nicholas Meyer's 'Seven Percent Solution' in the '70s, but I've neglected the creator's original works for far too long. Will finish the 'Adventures' tonight and start the 'Casebook' tomorrow.

I also found a couple of beautiful old editions of two of Joseph Conrad's lesser known works at a thrift store several months ago, and they reminded me of what a master of the language the man was. So I bought a nice old copy of his first novel, 'Almayer's Folly' and I plan to work my way through all his novels, some for the first time, when I've finished with Conan Doyle.

Common
04-13-2020, 01:39 AM
When I stumbled through Tom Sawyer 60 yrs ago, its what made me become a good reader. I loved the book and yes I stumbled through it having to read pages over again and then sometimes a third time to grasp it. I must have read tom sawyer at least 5 times.

Then I read Huckleberry Finn, I loved both books and they both were a positive in my life, they made me read and read more and get better and better at it.

Common
04-13-2020, 01:41 AM
I'm re-reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories for the first time in many years. I've read more than a hundred new Sherlockian stories since Nicholas Meyer's 'Seven Percent Solution' in the '70s, but I've neglected the creator's original works for far too long. Will finish the 'Adventures' tonight and start the 'Casebook' tomorrow.

I also found a couple of beautiful old editions of two of Joseph Conrad's lesser known works at a thrift store several months ago, and they reminded me of what a master of the language the man was. So I bought a nice old copy of his first novel, 'Almayer's Folly' and I plan to work my way through all his novels, some for the first time, when I've finished with Conan Doyle.
I read all of those and I loved them also...I judge a book by if I become a life in the book as im reading

Common
04-13-2020, 01:44 AM
Rex Stout authored Nero Wolfe Detective Stories, the entire series consisted of 33 novels and 39 short stories. I inhaled all of them many years ago. I re read all the novels last year...

countryboy
04-13-2020, 06:13 AM

I listened to an audio-book version of Treasure Island not too long ago. I never read it as a kid, it was thoroughly enjoyable. It was offered as a free selection with my Audible subscription.

Audible is currently offering a bunch of free titles intended for quarantined kids and parents, but anyone can listen free. Looks like quite a few literary classics are in the offing. Jack London-The Call of the Wild. Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, Atlas Shrugged, and many more. https://stories.audible.com/start-listen?ref_=pe_25733880_489587430

https://stories.audible.com/start-listen?ref_=pe_25733880_489587430

stjames1_53
04-13-2020, 06:15 AM

Since I'm an English major at IU, I get to read a lot of different literature. Poe and Hawthorne are my favs.
I took a different tack when reading the Scarlett Letter. I decided to read it as individual truths instead of a social statement about religion. Each of the main characters had their own personal truths. From the Reverend to Scarlett's daughter, each individual's truth was laid bare as Hawthorne visited the characters.
I did a paper on this and was given an A and a request from several English professors to use my research as a study guide for Hawthorne.

Standing Wolf
04-13-2020, 09:06 AM
A modern classic that remains one of my all time favorite novels - Cormac McCarthy's 'All the Pretty Horses'.

From the '40s, the Gormenghast Trilogy ('Titus Groan', 'Gormenghast' and 'Titus Alone') by Mervyn Peake. Mesmerizing language unlike anything I've ever read.

patrickt
04-13-2020, 09:30 AM
A. When I worked, 95% of my reading was non-fiction and job-related. Now that I'm older than most trees the percentages have reversed.

B. I re-read Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner and while it was still a great book it didn't have the impact, for personal reasons, that it did when I read it when I was 40.

C. It's a good thing you found an old copy because the new ones might have been edited to eliminate politically incorrect words. I'm 78 and while the forbidden words change the "word police" are a constant.

Standing Wolf
04-13-2020, 10:25 AM
I remember reading 'Tom Sawyer Abroad', which was Twain's sequel to 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' when I was a kid - I think it had been my father's copy from when he was a kid - and I know he wrote another sequel called 'Tom Sawyer, Detective', which I've never read. Apparently he began yet another book, 'Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer Among the Indians', but never completed it.

What I find interesting is that other writers over the years, particularly in the last twenty or thirty, have published either sequels to or re-tellings of the story of TAOHF; I know of at least five. Some folks view that kind of thing with horror, I guess, but if it's done respectfully - and especially if it's done well - it can be a good thing. I recently found out about a sequel to Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, published in 2014, called 'Pride of the Mohicans', which I'm looking forward to reading. As I mentioned earlier, I've read many, many "continuation stories" (as they're sometimes called) involving Conan Doyle's characters, and some of the very best have been written in the last five years by a lady named Bonnie MacBird.