PDA

View Full Version : MAD magazine to cease publication after 67 years

Cotton1
05-03-2020, 12:30 AM
https://www.cjnews.com/perspectives/features/breslin-mad-is-dead-what-me-worry

Last month, Mad magazine announced it would be ceasing publication, after 67 continuous years. Along the way, there were Mad paperbacks, Mad records, the Mad TV show, even a Mad Broadway show. But none of these ancillary projects had the impact of the original magazine.

The magazine was launched almost by accident. Harvey Kurtzman and Bill Gaines owned a small comic book company, EC Comics,

More at link

Common
05-03-2020, 02:41 AM
What me worry, I honestly thought they had stop publishing it long ago...mad magazine was a bid deal in the 50s and 60s.

Lummy
05-03-2020, 03:15 AM
Last year I bought several copies from the1960's. They're still funny.

hanger4
05-03-2020, 06:00 AM
I'm surprised it hung on as long as it has during the digital age.

MMC
05-03-2020, 06:04 AM
They probably don't want to be confused with some leftist rag publication. As there will be a ton of them after Trump is re-elected.

Lummy
05-03-2020, 11:12 AM
You don't find any variety on magazine racks in super markets anymore, if they even have magazine racks. It has been years since you could toss a MAD in your grocery cart while standing in the checkout line.

You have had to go to a book store, something I rarely do.

Cotton1
05-03-2020, 12:54 PM
You don't find any variety on magazine racks in super markets anymore, if they even have magazine racks. It has been years since you could toss a MAD in your grocery cart while standing in the checkout line.

You have had to go to a book store, something I rarely do.

Its been a while since I have bought one. When I was a kid I gobbled up each copy.

HawkTheSlayer
05-03-2020, 05:24 PM
Its been a while since I have bought one. When I was a kid I gobbled up each copy.

Me too. I still have my original certificate of ownership that entitles me to one square inch of the moon.
Sorry to see it go.

Cotton1
05-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Me too. I still have my original certificate of ownership that entitles me to one square inch of the moon.
Sorry to see it go.

I remember those. Too bad we didnt really walk on the moon! :). I have a piece of the Berlin Wall. It amazes me to look at that piece. I think about people touching it wanting to visit the other side.

nathanbforrest45
05-03-2020, 06:18 PM
Its about time. They have become nothing but another mouthpiece for the leftist in this country

nathanbforrest45
05-03-2020, 06:24 PM
I remember reading the very first Mad Magazine. It was a lot smaller than today and was black and white only. I remember two things about that. One was a spoof of "The Wild Ones" entitled "The Wild 1 half" About the only line I remember in that article was when "Johnny" saw a new motorcycle in the dealers window he knocked everyone out of the way, including his girlfriend. He said "I hadda go broke to get this bike, I hadda go broke the window"

The other was a Sherlock Holmes spoof where one of the panels was he and Watson running through his apartment carrying a canoe with a sign saying "Out to Launch". At the end he was arrested for the crimes and told that anything he said would be held against him so he started blurting out the names of current female movie stars.

At one time Mad had some very biting satire but for 20 years or more it has become nothing but a bitter anti Conservative hit piece.

Cotton1
05-03-2020, 06:51 PM
I remember reading the very first Mad Magazine. It was a lot smaller than today and was black and white only. I remember two things about that. One was a spoof of "The Wild Ones" entitled "The Wild 1 half" About the only line I remember in that article was when "Johnny" saw a new motorcycle in the dealers window he knocked everyone out of the way, including his girlfriend. He said "I hadda go broke to get this bike, I hadda go broke the window"

The other was a Sherlock Holmes spoof where one of the panels was he and Watson running through his apartment carrying a canoe with a sign saying "Out to Launch". At the end he was arrested for the crimes and told that anything he said would be held against him so he started blurting out the names of current female movie stars.

At one time Mad had some very biting satire but for 20 years or more it has become nothing but a bitter anti Conservative hit piece.

I liked their film spoofs. My favorite was "The Poopsidedown Adventure". Hete is a list of all of their film spoofs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_spoofs_in_Mad

Lummy
05-03-2020, 08:34 PM
I laugh reading that list. I used to laugh so hard sometimes as to just about suffocate.

Docthehun
05-05-2020, 04:04 PM

Me too. Moved on to National Lampoon.

carolina73
05-05-2020, 05:51 PM

I was going to say that my mind is blurred as to what memories are MAD Magazine and what are from National Lampoon or Cracked.

countryboy
05-05-2020, 06:47 PM

Same here.

countryboy
05-05-2020, 06:52 PM

I was never a huge National Lampoon fan for some reason, but loved Cracked.

Docthehun
05-05-2020, 06:58 PM
I was never a huge National Lampoon fan for some reason, but loved Cracked.

Even with a warped mind, some of the National Lampoon stuff was over the top.

countryboy
05-05-2020, 07:09 PM
I liked their film spoofs. My favorite was "The Poopsidedown Adventure". Hete is a list of all of their film spoofs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_spoofs_in_Mad

This was well after I was reading Mad, but for some reason this sticks in my mind. I can't even look at anything to do with Jurassic Park without thinking, "Jurass Has Had it Park". I don't think I ever saw anything more than the cover in line at the supermarket.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2192/1285/products/IMG_5543_300x300.JPG?v=1560812481
https://www.madmagazine.com/sites/default/files/imce/2014/08-AUG/RIP-David-Attenborough_72dpi_53fb58d54ddce2.73922774.jpg

countryboy
05-05-2020, 07:11 PM

That's true, they could never get away with most of that stuff today.

Cotton1
05-05-2020, 07:18 PM

I know! Wasn't it great?:)

Cotton1
05-05-2020, 07:19 PM
That's true, they could never get away with most of that stuff today.

Isn't that truth? Sad world we live in these days

Docthehun
05-06-2020, 07:39 AM
I know! Wasn't it great?:)

Absolutely!