PDA

View Full Version : For Coffee Enthusiasts

Common
04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
My wife and I love coffee, let me say that again My wife and I love coffee :) We had two bunn coffeemakers that we thought made decent coffee, problem was after a couple of years no matter how much you clean it the coffee temperature diminished to unacceptable.
I used to subscribe to cooks magazine and they did a review on coffee makers and Rated a holland made Technivorn Moccamaster coffee maker the only one they would recommend. It was produced to make coffee to the European Coffee Associaton standards, it makes a full pot of coffee in exactly the right amount of time to the right temperature. I paid over 5 yrs ago 170.00 and the pot works today as it did the first day after literally thousands of pots of coffee being made with it.
Today the same coffeemaker costs 300.00. The reason for the post is that just recently I recieved a free copy of cooks trying to get me back and in it was another coffee pot review. There are two recommended by them now the Moccamaster and a new one named Bonavita the model bonavita with the thermal carafe and its half the price of the moccamaster at 149.00 if I were looking for a new pot I would buy that one.

http://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Moccamaster-Coffee-Brewer-Thermo/dp/B002S4DI2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365430459&sr=8-1&keywords=Technivorm+Moccamaster

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1800TH-Coffee-Thermal-Carafe/dp/B005YQZNO8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365430459&sr=8-2&keywords=Technivorm+Moccamaster

Amazon has been out of the Bonavita for a while now. I posted it to show what it looked like.

oceanloverOH
04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm a coffee lover too, Common. But my husband doesn't drink coffee, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy a large or expensive coffee maker. For years I struggled with drip coffee makers, and always got bitter coffee that was just barely hot. On a visit to my elderly aunt and uncle in the Boston area a few years ago, she served fresh hot coffee and pie for dessert. OMG her coffee was so good, I had 4 cups. What's your secret, Auntie?

Secret #1: Grind your own beans, fresh for each pot. Unless you're making espresso or cappuccino or other specialty coffee, the brand doesn't matter much....but buy a grinder, don't use the supermarket grinder...and clean your grinder parts after every use in warm soapy water.

Secret #2: Drip machines are crap; they don't release the full rounded flavor of the coffee. Use an old-fashioned percolator; the action of the boiling water running over the grounds several times is what keeps it from being bitter and releases the full bodied flavor.

Secret #3: Don't use a "permanent" filter; you can wash and wash and wash it and never get the old oils and stuff out, and it will affect your coffee flavor. Use a paper filter, unbleached, the kind that folds over 4 times with holes in the corners for the percolator stem. Discard the filter and grounds the minute the coffee is ready, don't pour a cup through that filter/grounds.

Secret #4: Keep your percolator and all its parts scrupulously clean with warm soapy water between each use. Buy a small, long round brush to keep the stem and basket clean and free of oils.

I bought a small 6-cup perc, and have followed all Auntie's instructions to the letter. I adore my coffee now! :coffee2:

Greenridgeman
04-08-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm a coffee lover too, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659). But my husband doesn't drink coffee, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy a large or expensive coffee maker. For years I struggled with drip coffee makers, and always got bitter coffee that was just barely hot. On a visit to my elderly aunt and uncle in the Boston area a few years ago, she served fresh hot coffee and pie for dessert. OMG her coffee was so good, I had 4 cups. What's your secret, Auntie?

Secret #1: Grind your own beans, fresh for each pot. Unless you're making espresso or cappuccino or other specialty coffee, the brand doesn't matter much....but buy a grinder, don't use the supermarket grinder...and clean your grinder parts after every use in warm soapy water.

Secret #2: Drip machines are crap; they don't release the full rounded flavor of the coffee. Use an old-fashioned percolator; the action of the boiling water running over the grounds several times is what keeps it from being bitter and releases the full bodied flavor.

Secret #3: Don't use a "permanent" filter; you can wash and wash and wash it and never get the old oils and stuff out, and it will affect your coffee flavor. Use a paper filter, unbleached, the kind that folds over 4 times with holes in the corners for the percolator stem. Discard the filter and grounds the minute the coffee is ready, don't pour a cup through that filter/grounds.

Secret #4: Keep your percolator and all its parts scrupulously clean with warm soapy water between each use. Buy a small, long round brush to keep the stem and basket clean and free of oils.

I bought a small 6-cup perc, and have followed all Auntie's instructions to the letter. I adore my coffee now! :coffee2:

Greenridgeman
04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Percolators "burn" the coffee.

Electric drip pots do not get hot enough.

The BEST way to make coffee is the old fashioned drip pot, not these electric drip pots that never boil the water.. Takes a drip pot, a pan to keep coffee in drip pot hot, and a kettle.

You fill your drip pot with coffee, put it in a shallow pan with a little hot water, but no so much it will tip over. This is getting the drip pot hot so it does not suck all of the heat out of the boiling water in the tea kettle when you first pour it in.. When the water boils, pour it in the drip pot, and place the lid on the pot, or, a saucer.

Now the pot has weight to it, and more hot water to the heating pan.

It can last hot and fresh like that most of the day, key is a heavy pan for heating, and do not let pan go dry.

More work than most ways of making coffee, but, the best.

Common
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Electric drip pots do not get hot enough.

The BEST way to make coffee is the old fashioned drip pot, not these electric drip pots that never boil the water.. Takes a drip pot, a pan to keep coffee in drip pot hot, and a kettle.

You fill your drip pot with coffee, put it in a shallow pan with a little hot water, but no so much it will tip over. This is getting the drip pot hot so it does not suck all of the heat out of the boiling water in the tea kettle when you first pour it in.. When the water boils, pour it in the drip pot, and place the lid on the pot, or, a saucer.

Now the pot has weight to it, and more hot water to the heating pan.

It can last hot and fresh like that most of the day, key is a heavy pan for heating, and do not let pan go dry.

More work than most ways of making coffee, but, the best.

I agree with everything you posted, I grind my own beans and have for years. Percolators do burn coffee and that electric drip pots dont get hot enough was the point of my post, to let coffee lovers know there is a drip pot out there that not only brews coffee at the perfect speed but to the perfect tempertature standards as set by the European Coffee Association, which is the coup de gras of coffee.
The bunn made fast coffee but burnt it and it was not hot enough. The technivorm is hot enough today after Ive made thousands of pots with it.

Greenridgeman
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
I agree with everything you posted, I grind my own beans and have for years. Percolators do burn coffee and that electric drip pots dont get hot enough was the point of my post, to let coffee lovers know there is a drip pot out there that not only brews coffee at the perfect speed but to the perfect tempertature standards as set by the European Coffee Association, which is the coup de gras of coffee.
The bunn made fast coffee but burnt it and it was not hot enough. The technivorm is hot enough today after Ive made thousands of pots with it.

I run on strong coffee cut with whole milk, sweetened with SweetnLo, which is a travesty, but, if I use white sugar, I put on 30 pounds.

Coffee is indeed the stuff of life, I could give up anything but coffee.

Common
04-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I run on strong coffee cut with whole milk, sweetened with SweetnLo, which is a travesty, but, if I use white sugar, I put on 30 pounds.

I just put a teaspoon full of non fat powdered creamer in my mug of coffee, no sugar or substitutes, you should dump the sweetnlow and try splenda.

Common
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Also if you like strong coffee theres a spanish coffee named Bustelo easily available everywhere, its expresso ground but you can make it in a regular pot and its good, strong but good

oceanloverOH
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Perhaps some brands of percolators do "burn" the coffee. I have had burnt-tasting coffee (yuck) and can honestly say I have never had that experience with my little Presto. I think many pots, including most percs and drips, will burn the coffee if left plugged in for hours on end after making the coffee. My pot is small enough that I finish it within about 2 hours of making it.

Oh, and P.S. - - the tastiest coffee I have EVER had is Jamaican Blue Mountain. Can't afford it now, but first tried it while in Jamaica and brought home a bag. Delish!

http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/index.cfm?method=Products_ProductDetail&id=7

Greenridgeman
04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Perhaps some brands of percolators do "burn" the coffee. I have had burnt-tasting coffee (yuck) and can honestly say I have never had that experience with my little Presto. I think many pots, including most percs and drips, will burn the coffee if left plugged in for hours on end after making the coffee. My pot is small enough that I finish it within about 2 hours of making it.

Oh, and P.S. - - the tastiest coffee I have EVER had is Jamaican Blue Mountain. Can't afford it now, but first tried it while in Jamaica and brought home a bag. Delish!

The very process of a percolator defiles the coffee. The same water passes over the coffee time and time again, before it is ready.

The water should be heated once, and poured through once.

Mister D
04-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Tea.

oceanloverOH
04-08-2013, 05:03 PM
The very process of a percolator defiles the coffee. The same water passes over the coffee time and time again, before it is ready.

The water should be heated once, and poured through once.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.....as long as we both get what we think is a good cup of coffee!

Common
04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Tea.

I like tea but it could never replace coffee

Mister D
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I like tea but it could never replace coffee

I drink 4-5 cups a day. All kinds.

Common
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM

blue mountain is good stuff and it is expensive

Common
04-09-2013, 02:14 PM
I drink 4-5 cups a day. All kinds.

I like tea and I do drink various kinds but not everyday, different herb teas and I like certain teas with lots of cinnamin in them. Cinnamin is great for regulating blood sugar.

Mister D
04-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I like tea and I do drink various kinds but not everyday, different herb teas and I like certain teas with lots of cinnamin in them. Cinnamin is great for regulating blood sugar.

I drink a lot of chinese loose teas. I'm become quite the aficionado. I like some store bought brands like Twinings though. Lipton, however, is garbage. My mother drinks Lipton. I just don't get it. Outside an Asian restaurant it's hard to get a decent cup of tea in this country.

oceanloverOH
04-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Very good point, Common. If I've over-carbed and my blood sugar goes on a rampage, a strong cup of cinnamon tea helps. Some of my favorite herbal and flavored teas are Bigelow and Celestial Seasonings.

Mister D, Lipton IS nasty, can't drink it; all the flavors have a bitter undertone somehow. I have trouble with loose teas, though....haven't been able to find a process other than a commercial tea bag, even a fine-holed tea ball, that doesn't leave sediment at the bottom of the cup....and that gags me.

Mister D
04-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Very good point, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659). If I've over-carbed and my blood sugar goes on a rampage, a strong cup of cinnamon tea helps. Some of my favorite herbal and flavored teas are Bigelow and Celestial Seasonings.
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4), Lipton IS nasty, can't drink it. I have trouble with loose teas, though....haven't been able to find a process other than a commercial tea bag, even a fine-holed tea ball, that doesn't leave sediment at the bottom of the cup....and that gags me.

It's just some roughage. :grin: Doesn't really bother me. You could use the large leaves and that leaves very little.

Common
04-09-2013, 05:11 PM
My grandmother used to buy bags of loose tea and she had a very fine strainer and she would pour hot water over the grinds. Was it good ? I have no idea I never drank any of it.

countryboy
04-09-2013, 06:07 PM
I love my coffee, but Bigelow has very good Chinese Oolong, and Earl Gray, IMHO.

Peter1469
04-09-2013, 06:45 PM
I love coffee, but have had to start cutting my real coffee with decaf. But I only use organic. Anything else fires up the acid reflux.

oceanloverOH
04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
I love coffee, but have had to start cutting my real coffee with decaf. But I only use organic. Anything else fires up the acid reflux.

Getting older sucks, doesn't it, Peter? I had the same problem with drip coffee....but don't get it with perked coffee.

Peter1469
04-09-2013, 07:01 PM
I use the drip coffee.

Getting older is just another challenge..., like how to kill the machine gun nest on that hill. I will figure it out- or not. Then game is over. Then it doesn't matter any more.

oceanloverOH
04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
My favorite coffee joke, couldn't resist posting it!

Having arrived at the Gates of Heaven, Barrack Obama meets a man with a beard.

'Are you Mohamed?' he asks.

'No my son, I am St. Peter; Mohamed is higher up.' Peter then points to a ladder that rises into the clouds.

Delighted that Mohamed should be higher than St. Peter, Obama climbs the ladder in great strides, climbs up through the clouds and comes into a room where he meets another bearded man.

He asks again, 'Are you Mohamed?' 'Why no,' he answers, 'I am Moses; Mohamed is higher still.'

Exhausted, but with a heart full of joy, he climbs the ladder yet again.

He discovers a larger room where he meets an angelic looking man with a beard. Full of hope, he asks again,
'Are you Mohamed?'

'No, I am Jesus, the Christ; you will find Mohamed higher up.'

Mohamed higher than Jesus! Man, oh man! Obama can hardly contain his delight and climbs and climbs ever higher.

Once again, he reaches an even larger room where he meets this truly magnificent looking man with a silver white beard and once again repeats his question:

'Are you Mohamed?' he gasps as he is by now totally out of breath from all his climbing.
'No, my son, I am Almighty God, the Alpha and the Omega, but you look exhausted. Would you like a cup of coffee?'

Obama says, 'Yes please!' As God looks behind him, he claps his hands and yells out: "Yo, Mohamed, two coffees!"

Keep your trust in God; your president is an idiot.

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 10:53 AM

I've been drinking very strong dark roast for over 50 year, cut it with whole milk and use sweet and lo.

Without the Sweet and Lo I'd weight a ton, and the milk is what cuts the acid so you don't have a problem.

I think I'll go get a cup now.

KC
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Coffee is amazing, I love the taste/smell with just a little bit of sugar. I can't drink it anymore though, I crash too quickly if I have caffeine.

Sytha
04-11-2013, 01:45 PM
This is the pot I use, and LOVE it! It has a built in burr grinder. Yes it is expensive, but well worth the cost in my opinion. It has a 12 cup capacity and a thermal pot.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-197414/Breville-YouBrew-Coffee-Maker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8gLMrzPP8

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Coffee is amazing, I love the taste/smell with just a little bit of sugar. I can't drink it anymore though, I crash too quickly if I have caffeine.

Great thing about retirement, feel a crash, drink another cup, run out of more cups, crash wherever the Hell you are for as long as you damned well feel like it.

Having last of the coffee now, may or may not crash, it matters not!

KC
04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Great thing about retirement, feel a crash, drink another cup, run out of more cups, crash wherever the Hell you are for as long as you damned well feel like it.

Having last of the coffee now, may or may not crash, it matters not!

I would probably just take a nap after a cup of coffee if time wasn't an issue.

Common
04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Coffee perks me a bit in the morning, but it doesnt keep me awake anymore. I dont drink buckets near bed time but when I drink a cup I can go to sleep

Mister D
04-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Coffee perks me a bit in the morning, but it doesnt keep me awake anymore. I dont drink buckets near bed time but when I drink a cup I can go to sleep

I stop drinking tea unless there is whiskey in it after 6 or 7PM

Sytha
04-11-2013, 10:34 PM
I like coffee more for the flavor then the caffeine. So anything coffee flavored I just love!

Mister D
04-11-2013, 10:37 PM
On that note, I drink all of my tea black. That's an odd term to use when you're drinking green tea but I don't add any dairy or sugar.

Common
04-11-2013, 10:42 PM
I stop drinking tea unless there is whiskey in it after 6 or 7PM

I dauble a bit with spirits in my coffee. My neighbor loves Hennessy Cognac Straight up. I bought a bottle for when hes over and he sips on the hennessy and I sip on Crown Royal, Johnny Black or some others. Just one or two and we shoot the breeze at times we have coffee with a hit.

Mister D
04-11-2013, 10:44 PM
I dauble a bit with spirits in my coffee. My neighbor loves Hennessy Cognac Straight up. I bought a bottle for when hes over and he sips on the hennessy and I sip on Crown Royal, Johnny Black or some others. Just one or two and we shoot the breeze.

:smiley: It seems to even things out a bit. I usually add Irish whiskey to black tea. I drink scotch but it would be a sin to mix a single malt.

Common
04-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I like bushmills malt irish whiskey and scotch does not go with coffee at all to me. I drink scotch straight up.
I have a buddy that will get mad at you if you put ice in liquor. He pours his daily drink and puts the glass in the refridgerator with that clingy new saran wrap over it until its chilled. I call him whackjob and a fanatic often.

Sytha
04-11-2013, 11:39 PM
On that note, I drink all of my tea black. That's an odd term to use when you're drinking green tea but I don't add any dairy or sugar.

I love my black teas too! Iced or hot i like them a bit sweet. Half and half in my tea depends on who I am with.....

Peter1469
04-12-2013, 05:24 AM

Me too.

oceanloverOH
04-12-2013, 07:47 AM
I like coffee more for the flavor then the caffeine. So anything coffee flavored I just love!
Sytha, I'll bet you like Kahlua in a mixed drink (Black Russian, White Russian, Mudslide, Butterball). And I'll bet you love Tiramisu as much as I do! BTW, welcome to the forum.......

Sytha
04-12-2013, 07:53 AM
@Sytha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=730), I'll bet you like Kahlua in a mixed drink (Black Russian, White Russian, Mudslide, Butterball). And I'll bet you love Tiramisu as much as I do! BTW, welcome to the forum.......

How did you ever guess? LOL.

What does amaze me is how many people enjoy starbucks coffee. It is always over roasted and burned. Though i must admit, i am spoiled. I grew up with several good coffee roasters in the city, so the whole starbucks bar coffee revolution was no big deal.

Greenridgeman
04-12-2013, 08:09 AM

What does amaze me is how many people enjoy starbucks coffee. It is always over roasted and burned. Though i must admit, i am spoiled. I grew up with several good coffee roasters in the city, so the whole starbucks bar coffee revolution was no big deal.

I always wondered about the success of Starbucks, and their burned overheated coffee.

Not a bit better than Circle K, if you ask me.

Mister D
04-12-2013, 08:10 AM
I like bushmills malt irish whiskey and scotch does not go with coffee at all to me. I drink scotch straight up.
I have a buddy that will get mad at you if you put ice in liquor. He pours his daily drink and puts the glass in the refridgerator with that clingy new saran wrap over it until its chilled. I call him whackjob and a fanatic often.

They have a bottle of Laphroaig 18 Year at a local bar I go to. I saw a guy order it on the rocks. What a waste I thought...

I tried the Buushmills once and wasn't crazy about it. I usually drink Tullamore Dew. Sometimes Jameson. I'd be willing to give Bushmills another try though.

Mister D
04-12-2013, 08:10 AM
I love my black teas too! Iced or hot i like them a bit sweet. Half and half in my tea depends on who I am with.....

Cold tea turns my stomach for some reason. :undecided:

Greenridgeman
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Iced tea, lemon, mint, sugar, drink of the gods.

Never bothers my stomach, but, does wire me like meth.

oceanloverOH
04-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Starbucks is nasty. I've tried coffee at their bar, and also tried their beans. Yuck. Maybe it's just the illusion of GREAT coffee because it comes from vendor that specializes in coffee. If I'm that hard up for a cuppa, I'll go to McDonald's before Starbucks!

Sytha
04-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I always wondered about the success of Starbucks, and their burned overheated coffee.

Not a bit better than Circle K, if you ask me.

Marketing is what got them where they are. It surely is NOT the coffee. Though i must say when it was just starbucks #1 at pikes market, they were a nice place to stop in before you did your shopping.

Sytha
04-12-2013, 01:55 PM

God, i can go through a gallon a day! Ive gotten lazy and am not making my own these days and have become partial to Tejava. It has a nice pure, crisp tea flavor.

oceanloverOH
04-12-2013, 02:11 PM
God, i can go through a gallon a day! Ive gotten lazy and am not making my own these days and have become partial to Tejava. It has a nice pure, crisp tea flavor.

Hmmm...I would love to try Tejava....but of course it's not available in Ohio, the armpit of the Midwest...:angry:

Mister D
04-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Hmmm...I would love to try Tejava....but of course it's not available in Ohio, the armpit of the Midwest...:angry:

Don't feel bad. It's hard to get a good cup of tea in this country, generally speaking. I sometimes bring my own.

Greenridgeman
04-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Don't feel bad. It's hard to get a good cup of tea in this country, generally speaking. I sometimes bring my own.

I'm having good coffee, and home-bake chocolate chip and pecan cookies my girlfriend sent.

It does not get much better.

Mister D
04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm having good coffee, and home-bake chocolate chip and pecan cookies my girlfriend sent.

Enjoy the simple things , brother. God bless.

Greenridgeman
04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Enjoy the simple things , brother. God bless.

Well, actually, it does get much better, but we don't talk about that here!

Sytha
04-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Have you looked at your major chain grocery store? I tell you, it never hurts to ask the GM if they can order things. It is a crystal geyser product now so if they carry the water i am sure they can get you the tea.

or you could try calling or emailing crystal geyser to see if anyone retails it near you. the number on the lable is 1-800-4 geyser. The web site is tejava.com.

Sytha
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM

just curious... what tea do you like?

Common
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
They have a bottle of Laphroaig 18 Year at a local bar I go to. I saw a guy order it on the rocks. What a waste I thought...

I tried the Buushmills once and wasn't crazy about it. I usually drink Tullamore Dew. Sometimes Jameson. I'd be willing to give Bushmills another try though.

Jameson is good stuff, Ive never heard of the tullamore dew and I havent had the other yet either. I like the bushmill better than the jameson. Keep in mind theres different types and qualities of bushmill, I had the bushmill malt 21 yr old

Sytha
04-12-2013, 03:07 PM

lol, sure it can. Having all of those things.....in bed. :)

Mister D
04-12-2013, 03:11 PM
just curious... what tea do you like?

I get most of my loose tea from these guys:

http://www.generationtea.com/store/

http://www.harney.com/

I like most of types Twinings makes but you can't even get those in a lot of eateries and restaurants. I'm only about 40 minutes from Manhattan's Chinatown but it's so much easier having it dropped off at my house. :smiley:

Mister D
04-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Jameson is good stuff, Ive never heard of the tullamore dew and I havent had the other yet either. I like the bushmill better than the jameson. Keep in mind theres different types and qualities of bushmill, I had the bushmill malt 21 yr old

Oh, that's right. Bushmill's makes an Irish single malt. I forgot about that. Never had that. I've only had their signature whiskey. If you like Jameson yuo will like the Dew.

http://www.tullamoredew.com/

Common
04-12-2013, 03:16 PM

My wife makes Luzianne brand tea for iced tea, its damn good.

Starbucks is garbage coffee and I hate their stores, you go in and they tell you what type of coffee you have to drink, they give you two choices and most of the time its that horrific dark roast french roast garbage. I dont set a foot in starbucks anymore. Overpriced.

Sytha
04-12-2013, 03:51 PM
My wife makes Luzianne brand tea for iced tea, its damn good.

Starbucks is garbage coffee and I hate their stores, you go in and they tell you what type of coffee you have to drink, they give you two choices and most of the time its that horrific dark roast french roast garbage. I dont set a foot in starbucks anymore. Overpriced.

I do love good black iced tea. I cant stand the flavored stuff.

I must say, starbucks does serve a purpose for me. I call them in the morning and ask them to save coffee grounds for me. The grounds make the BEST topdressing/compost in the world!

Sytha
04-12-2013, 03:59 PM
I get most of my loose tea from these guys:

http://www.generationtea.com/store/

http://www.harney.com/

I like most of types Twinings makes but you can't even get those in a lot of eateries and restaurants. I'm only about 40 minutes from Manhattan's Chinatown but it's so much easier having it dropped off at my house. :smiley:

i agree about restaurants not offering very good tea. For bagged tea i prefer tazo or mighty leaf. I do think tazo tea is a fine product....lol...even if they are owned by *gasp* starbucks.

Conley
04-12-2013, 04:15 PM
I do love good black iced tea. I cant stand the flavored stuff.

I must say, starbucks does serve a purpose for me. I call them in the morning and ask them to save coffee grounds for me. The grounds make the BEST topdressing/compost in the world!

Interesting...I need to do some work on my lawn. I won't use fertilizer because it would run off into the big storm drain near our house that feeds into the ocean, so maybe it's a lost cause anyway...I would have thought the grounds would be too acidic.

Sytha
04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Interesting...I need to do some work on my lawn. I won't use fertilizer because it would run off into the big storm drain near our house that feeds into the ocean, so maybe it's a lost cause anyway...I would have thought the grounds would be too acidic.

I swear...coffee grounds are plant and earthworm CRACK! I just throw it down and dig it in.

And... its free. :thumbsup20:

There is plenty of information about coffee grounds as compost on the web if you look.
http://www.sunset.com/garden/earth-friendly/starbucks-coffee-compost-test-00400000016986/

what your lawn could use is earthworms. Earthworm castings are great fertilizer. You can order them on the web.