PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Scholarship for Poor Whites

Conley
07-03-2011, 08:36 AM
"SAN MARCOS, Texas -- A non-profit organization has awarded the second of five academic scholarships to a Texas man who met their controversial criteria -- which includes that he be white and male, FOXNews.com reported Saturday.

The group sponsoring the scholarship says it is the only scholarship of its kind in the United States.

The award was presented by a group called the Former Majority Association for Equality. Its president, Colby Bohannon, says he has been called a racist and compared to the KKK.

"We're not racists. We have no agenda for bigotry," said Bohannon. "We're not trying to take away anything from any other group. We're just trying to help poor, Caucasian males afford college."

Recipient Brendan Baird is studying to become a physician's assistant, and the awarded $500 check will help him to pay for schooling.

To win, he had to demonstrate a high grade point average, community service, sports ability and financial need. But what really sealed the deal is the fact that he is a white man.

"If anyone wants to say it's an issue of color, it's the color of green," said Baird. "And we all need it."

The group's vice-president, Marcus Carter, is black. There are also two women and an Hispanic man on its board."

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110702/NEWS90/110709950/-1/NEWS01

Frankly, I think people should be able to create any kind of scholarship they want. They're giving money away to those less fortunate, and that is a good thing. I see nothing controversial about this at all.

Mister D
07-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Nor do I. There are similar initiatives to support non-whites so why not? Are we supposed to believe that poor whites are privileged? ::)

MMC
07-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Hey, they want to do with whatever with their money is.....thats on them.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Nor do I. There are similar initiatives to support non-whites so why not? Are we supposed to believe that poor whites are privileged? ::)

Gotta love the double standard.

And minorities wonder why there is so much tension between whites and non-whites.

Conley
07-03-2011, 09:34 PM

And minorities wonder why there is so much tension between whites and non-whites.

i don't even think there's that much tension...it's just the extremists on both sides, and those that profit from it like al sharpton, that are always fanning the flames

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 09:41 PM

i don't even think there's that much tension...it's just the extremists on both sides, and those that profit from it like al sharpton, that are always fanning the flames

So you don't think there's resentment from a white guy who is passed over for a promotion or a job or a scholarship simply because of the color of his skin?

I understand that minorities have and still do suffer inequities, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Conley
07-03-2011, 09:46 PM

So you don't think there's resentment from a white guy who is passed over for a promotion or a job or a scholarship simply because of the color of his skin?

I understand that minorities have and still do suffer inequities, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Sure, I think there's resentment there.

I'm not for discrimination in any form. That just perpetuates the problem.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Right, that's my point.

When discrimination exists, punish the perpetrators. Don't punish the innocent for the wrongdoings of other perpetrators.

Racial discrimination is just that - discrimination based on ones race, and that includes white people as far as I'm concerned and since it does not, our views of racial discrimination are a farce.

Conley
07-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Right, that's my point.

When discrimination exists, punish the perpetrators. Don't punish the innocent for the wrongdoings of other perpetrators.

Racial discrimination is just that - discrimination based on ones race, and that includes white people as far as I'm concerned and since it does not, our views of racial discrimination are a farce.

Yeah, I think we've been agreeing for the most part in this thread. I think you're pissed about the loss of your beer and need some far left-wingers to argue with ;)

MMC
07-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Weellllllllllllll, I might know a place full of Liberals and Elite Liberals who think their shit doesn't stink. >:D