PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Most High School Boys Believe Rape is OK

IMPress Polly
04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
This recent poll confirms formally what Dr. Drew has indicated earlier this year: that the majority of today's young boys believe rape is an acceptable form of sex under the right circumstances. In fact, a lot of young girls do too: more than 2 out of 5 believe it's acceptable "if she gets him really excited". You can see the full results in the linked picture below.

In case there's any mystery here amongst the readers of my page, yes ALL these things are rape and NONE are ever justified. Can't believe I have to explain that, but obviously I do.

Conley
04-11-2013, 05:31 PM
I can't really wrap my head around that. It doesn't seem possible. Have there been multiple studies that confirm this or is this just one study that might be (hopefully) is flawed? Otherwise these kids are wretched.

Kalkin
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
This recent poll confirms formally what Dr. Drew has indicated earlier this year: that the majority of today's young boys believe rape is an acceptable form of sex under the right circumstances. In fact, a lot of young girls do too: more than 2 out of 5 believe it's acceptable "if she gets him really excited". You can see the full results in the linked picture below.

In case there's any mystery here amongst the readers of my page, yes ALL these things are rape and NONE are ever justified. Can't believe I have to explain that, but obviously I do.
These boys all have failed mothers.

Chris
04-11-2013, 06:31 PM
And failed fathers.

Conley
04-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Yes, it would only take one parent to teach basic decency...these kids are definitely looking like they are 0 for 2

jillian
04-11-2013, 06:47 PM

that's crazy.... we need to do a better job educating boys about how no means no.

of equal concern to me is that there are 12% of girls who think rape is ok if the boy spent a lot of money on her

and 21% who think its ok if "the guy can't stop'...

and even 31% who think it's ok for them to be raped if they allowed a boy to touch them "above the waste".

the lack of self-esteem is startling.

jillian
04-11-2013, 06:48 PM

it's the father who teaches his son how to treat women.

not sure where you get that it's the "mothers" who failed.

Mister D
04-11-2013, 07:03 PM

A lot of boys don't have fathers in their lives but you go girl!

Conley
04-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Ok, I tracked this down, thankfully reality isn't as gruesome as this image would have you believe.

Did a study really take place? Is this "real"?
The data originated from a study "Adolescents' Cues and Signals - Sex and Assault (https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/Abstract.aspx?id=74747)" by R Giarrusso ; P Johnson ; J Goodchilds ; G Zellman. [According to this book (http://books.google.com/books?id=8e3816IQJasC&pg=PA120) all were currently researchers at UCLA.] It was presented at the Western Psychological Association Meeting Symposium, 'Acquaintance Rape and Adolescent Sexuality,' in San Diego, California, April 1979. Click here for more information on the study, including who they interviewed.
(http://www.fearus.org/the-study.html)
However, the data in the picture that has been circulating has been misrepresented. The original study did not ask "Yes" or "No", but asked subjects on a five point scale. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out specifically what each point was, other then at the two extremes were "Yes" and "No". For more information, see the infograph/chart below.
- See more at: http://www.fearus.org/#sthash.6irCyN5Y.dpuf

http://www.fearus.org/#sthash.6irCyN5Y.dpbs

jillian
04-11-2013, 08:10 PM

there is nothing in the article to indicate that it is more common among boys in fatherless homes.

but you go, boy.

Chris
04-11-2013, 08:16 PM

I think we learn from both parents, and larger extended family. I can remember bringing girls to see my uncle or grandmother and their taking me aside to say she's nice now you treat her with respect. Then there's siblings and peers.

Mister D
04-11-2013, 08:16 PM
there is nothing in the article to indicate that it is more common among boys in fatherless homes.

but you go, boy.

Sigh...

countryboy
04-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Another bullshit thread title brought to you by your friendly neighborhood lib. Gee, how did I know this was BS? I must be psychic. :rolleyes:

jillian
04-11-2013, 08:19 PM
I think we learn from both parents, and larger extended family. I can remember bringing girls to see my uncle or grandmother and their taking me aside to say she's nice now you treat her with respect. Then there's siblings and peers.

that's fair. and i think you're correct.

and i wouldn't have made it an issue of whether mothers or fathers failed but for responding to the post above.

so how do we end up with the insanity described in the o/p and what should be done to fix it?

Chris
04-11-2013, 08:27 PM
that's fair. and i think you're correct.

and i wouldn't have made it an issue of whether mothers or fathers failed but for responding to the post above.

so how do we end up with the insanity described in the o/p and what should be done to fix it?

Hate to sound like a broken record, but to me the problem is far too much dependence on government, too many hand over all our responsibilities to government, too many expect schools to raise our kids. My son had some trouble way back then and the school was flabbergasted I showed up to deal with it.

jillian
04-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Hate to sound like a broken record, but to me the problem is far too much dependence on government, too many hand over all our responsibilities to government, too many expect schools to raise our kids. My son had some trouble way back then and the school was flabbergasted I showed up to deal with it.

interesting. i think it has zero to do with government. i think it has a lot to do with parenting and a LACK of education.

Chris
04-11-2013, 08:42 PM
interesting. i think it has zero to do with government. i think it has a lot to do with parenting and a LACK of education.

I agree, but parents hand that responsibility off to government and schools.

What education would you propose? Any for parents?

junie
04-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Sigh...

i'd say sons learn a little something from an absent father... then there's what they don't learn from him too. sperm is necessary, so he may not be a dad, but he is a father nonetheless...

as far as the OP, yikes! i wonder how many kids were asked and were they polling at the local juvenile detention center or something???

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 08:51 PM
And failed fathers.

The federal government denies the need for a father in the home.

junie
04-11-2013, 08:53 PM
no link to this poll?

countryboy
04-11-2013, 08:55 PM
no link to this poll?

The OP is completely bogus, there was no poll. http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/12249-Poll-Most-High-School-Boys-Believe-Rape-is-OK?p=266100&viewfull=1#post266100

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 09:04 PM

What a joke, fathers are not in most homes.

jillian
04-11-2013, 09:08 PM
The OP is completely bogus, there was no poll. http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/12249-Poll-Most-High-School-Boys-Believe-Rape-is-OK?p=266100&viewfull=1#post266100

Jacqueline Goodchilds is a professor of psychology. It is my understanding she conducted the poll. What her methodology was and what the margin of error is, i can't speak to.

i suspect it raises more questions than it answers.

Chris
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't think the problem was Goodchilds but those who reported it. Details at link in COnley's post, where country boy is pointing you, here: http://www.fearus.org/#sthash.6irCyN5Y.aQnkgFeO.dpbs.

Conley
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Jacqueline Goodchilds is a professor of psychology. It is my understanding she conducted the poll. What her methodology was and what the margin of error is, i can't speak to.

This image is a distortion of the study...for starters it was a five point poll and not yes/no as the image suggests. But there are bigger problems than that, the link goes into significant detail.

junie
04-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Did a study really take place? Is this "real"?
The data originated from a study "Adolescents' Cues and Signals - Sex and Assault (https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/Abstract.aspx?id=74747)" by R Giarrusso ; P Johnson ; J Goodchilds ; G Zellman. [According to this book (http://books.google.com/books?id=8e3816IQJasC&pg=PA120) all were currently researchers at UCLA.] It was presented at the Western Psychological Association Meeting Symposium, 'Acquaintance Rape and Adolescent Sexuality,' in San Diego, California, April 1979. Click here for more information on the study, including who they interviewed.
(http://www.fearus.org/the-study.html)
However, the data in the picture that has been circulating has been misrepresented. The original study did not ask "Yes" or "No", but asked subjects on a five point scale. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out specifically what each point was, other then at the two extremes were "Yes" and "No". For more information, see the infograph/chart below.

junie
04-11-2013, 09:17 PM
"In 1978, 432 adolescents, ages 14-18, were interviewed in the Los Angeles area. The three major ethnic groups were equally represented, as were males and females. Attitudes toward the opposite sex, sexuality, sex roles, rape, power, and violence were measured along with behavioral expectations, perceptions, norms about dating, and sex differences in the acquisition of attitudes and expectations."

countryboy
04-11-2013, 09:21 PM

It was apparently more of a study than a poll. The link has been posted three times now. Did you miss it?

junie
04-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Ok, I tracked this down, thankfully reality isn't as gruesome as this image would have you believe.

http://www.fearus.org/#sthash.6irCyN5Y.dpbs

aaaha! thank you, i missed this post at first glance of the thread... i knew the headline couldn't be true!

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
"In 1978, 432 adolescents, ages 14-18, were interviewed in the Los Angeles area

and a feminazi myth is born.

Kalkin
04-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Even though I think it's both parent's responsibility, I think a mother would be more attuned to the subtleties of what constitutes rape. Plus there's the whole sisterhood thing. Moms are better at teaching moral restraint, imo.

Conley
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
When I was 14 I probably would have deliberately answered for shock value...or maybe filled out the scantron in the shape of a cat.

Conley
04-11-2013, 09:29 PM
http://dinca.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wsj_01.jpg.jpeg

junie
04-11-2013, 09:32 PM

hahaha he looks kind of excited! :wink:

Conley
04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
hahaha he looks kind of excited! :wink:

Lol yes, he seems aroused by the pole...err poll :wink:

Kalkin
04-11-2013, 09:49 PM

Your test results indicate that you're a liar...

Common
04-11-2013, 10:53 PM

I agree with you here a boy learns respect for girls mostly from his dad and the mother certainly plays a role in that. Keep in mind though Jillian im talking growing up in the 50s, things have certainly changed.
Everytime I make this suggestion that im about to make online I get pummeled by the left. Here we go again. The lack of respect for females today comes from music tv movies. Rap music is especially bad. I do believe one of the main reasons is the feminist movement that hardened the view of women through equality. Women can do anything men can do be in combat etc etc Women demanded equality and insisted they could do what men do and should be allowed to, but yet they still need protection from men. Hard to put into words but part of the diminished respect for women was brought on by themselves as a whole.
I also know im going to take heat for this, just know it was not said intending to be demeaning or insulting, just my view.

Peter1469
04-12-2013, 05:08 AM
And failed fathers.

Right. It is more of a father failure for this issue.

Peter1469
04-12-2013, 05:17 AM

From my experience at prosecuting rape in military courts, many young girls (victims) actually would agree with some of these. It is sad.

jillian
04-12-2013, 07:30 AM
I agree with you here a boy learns respect for girls mostly from his dad and the mother certainly plays a role in that. Keep in mind though Jillian im talking growing up in the 50s, things have certainly changed.
Everytime I make this suggestion that im about to make online I get pummeled by the left. Here we go again. The lack of respect for females today comes from music tv movies. Rap music is especially bad. I do believe one of the main reasons is the feminist movement that hardened the view of women through equality. Women can do anything men can do be in combat etc etc Women demanded equality and insisted they could do what men do and should be allowed to, but yet they still need protection from men. Hard to put into words but part of the diminished respect for women was brought on by themselves as a whole.
I also know im going to take heat for this, just know it was not said intending to be demeaning or insulting, just my view.

things have changed since the 50's when my mom went to high school. no doubt.but i also know that my husband and i and most of the other people we know teach our sons how to treat women and our girls how they should expect to be treated. that is not to say that some girls don't objectify themselves or that some boys are just disrespectful little creeps.

my ability to earn the same salary as a man does has zip, zero, nada to do with a bunch of jerks who think it's ok to rape girls.

its not that i'm going to give you "heat". i'm afraid i just think it's ignorant. i'm pretty sure my mom would, too.

but you might think about looking at uneducated kids who think oral sex isn't sex and that "sexting" is ok.

i'm ALWAYS for MORE education and MORE equality. ... and equality means CHOICES. it doesn't mean women should be victimized.

Chris
04-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Let's ignore that the reported poll is a bit fudged.

How do you educate morality? Sure, you can tell boys rape is wrong. But how do you get them to understand why it's wrong. If he doesn't understand, how will he teach his son? Thinking, too, IIRC, we're not fully morally mature, to where we can choose between right and wrong, till around 25. No, not wondering if a teen shouldn't be held responsible just the same. Asking how educate?

Mister D
04-12-2013, 07:50 AM

I think you put it well. That diminished respect comes from the fact that women tried to achieve "liberation" not by embracing their own nature but the nature of a male. The attitudes found in popular culture are repulsive but they stem from the disruption that feminism caused by its attempted blurring of the distinction between male and female as if it were merely a social construct.

Greenridgeman
04-12-2013, 08:01 AM

How do you get "most" out of this?

The only categories where there is even a slight majority are where the girl was participating and changes her mind. That is of course still rape, but this piece of crap you posted does not by any means indicate " Most High School Boys Believe Rape is OK".

Just useless, partisan, petty chum you got here.

Common
04-12-2013, 08:22 AM
things have changed since the 50's when my mom went to high school. no doubt.but i also know that my husband and i and most of the other people we know teach our sons how to treat women and our girls how they should expect to be treated. that is not to say that some girls don't objectify themselves or that some boys are just disrespectful little creeps.

my ability to earn the same salary as a man does has zip, zero, nada to do with a bunch of jerks who think it's ok to rape girls.

its not that i'm going to give you "heat". i'm afraid i just think it's ignorant. i'm pretty sure my mom would, too.

but you might think about looking at uneducated kids who think oral sex isn't sex and that "sexting" is ok.

i'm ALWAYS for MORE education and MORE equality. ... and equality means CHOICES. it doesn't mean women should be victimized.

You misrepresented the basis of my post jillian, It had zero, zip, nada to do with equality in pay for doing the same job and that wasnt even mentioned or considered in my post. Ill just leave it at that and respectively bow out of this conversation :)

truthmatters
04-12-2013, 08:26 AM

They also have failed fathers

Chris
04-12-2013, 08:26 AM
women tried to achieve "liberation" not by embracing their own nature but the nature of a male

Nock, Memoirs of a Superfluous Man (http://archive.mises.org/5800/nocks-memoirs-of-a-superfluous-man/), sees it a bit differently, that liberated to do anything women embrace not their own but man's nature:

http://i.snag.gy/feXMs.jpg

Nock was at the time optimistic about the potential for women to make things better:

http://i.snag.gy/5YC0T.jpg

But then later he reflects on the futility of it:

http://i.snag.gy/xtI0V.jpg

truthmatters
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
women have fewer sociopaths in their ranks.

Thats the sceince.

4 in 100 people are sociopthas.

3 will are men and 1 is a woman.

fewer sociopaths is better

Threeup63
04-13-2013, 11:42 PM
By the time boys get to High School,they know Rape is wrong.We need to stop making excuses for their sorry asses. Call it what it is, a crime of rape committed by high school boys.

Greenridgeman
04-13-2013, 11:49 PM
By the time boys get to High School,they know Rape is wrong.We need to stop making excuses for their sorry asses. Call it what it is, a crime of rape committed by high school boys.

Go back to the bogus poll.

A few hundred kids polled 35 years ago in Los Angeles, offered with no methodology to validate how it was conducted, is nothing more than chum.

The poster should be ashamed for posting it as if it somehow reflects on all kids today.

Conley
04-13-2013, 11:51 PM
:roflmao: Dizzam...my posts on here just go completely unnoticed. I used to think it was only the mods who ignored me but now I realize it's all you mofos...:angry: :laugh:

Dr. Who
04-13-2013, 11:55 PM

This should be astounding, but recent news items seem to support the data. It is incredible that as a society we have regressed so much. What are we failing to teach our children? Are parents so preoccupied that basic decency is too much trouble to teach or are the parents also without any values? What kind of debased society can we expect in the future?

countryboy
04-14-2013, 12:14 AM
This should be astounding, but recent news items seem to support the data. It is incredible that as a society we have regressed so much. What are we failing to teach our children? Are parents so preoccupied that basic decency is too much trouble to teach or are the parents also without any values? What kind of debased society can we expect in the future?
The OP is completely bogus. Hello? Is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone home? :D

Conley
04-14-2013, 12:18 AM
The OP is completely bogus. Hello? Is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone home?

I hear ya compadre...but I'm the king of dropping a post without reading the whole thread or sticking around for the aftermath, so I guess I can't put stone houses in glass casts or however that goes.

countryboy
04-14-2013, 12:21 AM
I hear ya compadre...but I'm the king of dropping a post without reading the whole thread or sticking around for the aftermath, so I guess I can't put stone houses in glass casts or however that goes.
I hear ya, I do it alla time. I was just giving a friendly heads up with a little Pink Floyd thrown in fer good measure. Fergot the :D

I even fell for a, The Onion, story the other day. :rolleyes: I'm such a dumbass sometimes. But you already knew that, eh? :D:D:D

Conley
04-14-2013, 12:35 AM
I hear ya, I do it alla time. I was just giving a friendly heads up with a little Pink Floyd thrown in fer good measure. Fergot the :D

I even fell for a, The Onion, story the other day. :rolleyes: I'm such a dumbass sometimes. But you already knew that, eh? :D:D:D

I used to love posting Onion articles on here and seeing who bit but the crew has gotten smarter :wink:...but I fall for the partisan stuff all the time. At least you mix in some great music!

zelmo1234
04-14-2013, 03:49 AM

You know I was thinking the same thing???? Until I took the time to think about it!

The truth is we are teaching our children very well.

We have taught them that every lifestyle is exactly the same and we shouldn't judge people, except for those that beleive in God, Make fun of them all you want!

So we know know that I'm OK and your Ok. everyone is a winnier, and we call tolerance, the exxeptance of alternative lifestyle, nothing short of total exceptabce will due!

We know have professors trying to say that having sex with children might not be a bad thing?

So is it any wonder that if we are teaching that all of these sexual lifestyles are the same as any other, but the Ten Comandments and God are the most screwed up thing that ever existed? That we have our children thinking that Rape is just another lifestyle choise. and the coming into schools andd shooting unarmed students is an acceptable way of making yourself heard???

NO we are doing a great job of removing morals and standards from our schools and children. for God sake we can't even have winners and loosers in sports any longer because Jonny might feel that he is not as good as the others. This is what we are teaching and we are getting what we ask for!

Chris
04-14-2013, 09:15 AM
The OP is completely bogus. Hello? Is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone home? :D

It fits an agenda.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 09:22 AM
It fits an agenda.

Doesn't do much for the rep of the person that posted it though.

Adelaide
04-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Go back to the bogus poll.

A few hundred kids polled 35 years ago in Los Angeles, offered with no methodology to validate how it was conducted, is nothing more than chum.

The poster should be ashamed for posting it as if it somehow reflects on all kids today.

If you look at Stuebenville, and now Rehtaeh Parsons in Nova Scotia, it says something about the mentality of some high school boys who really do not seem to understand rape, (when it is rape, the consequences for rape, etc.). I realise that these stories are not the norm, but the fact that a group of boys can rape a girl and then brag about and post pictures about it and none of their peers go to police? Something is very wrong.

countryboy
04-14-2013, 09:40 AM
If you look at Stuebenville, and now Rehtaeh Parsons in Nova Scotia, it says something about the mentality of some high school boys who really do not seem to understand rape, (when it is rape, the consequences for rape, etc.). I realise that these stories are not the norm, but the fact that a group of boys can rape a girl and then brag about and post pictures about it and none of their peers go to police? Something is very wrong.

I think there's something in the water here in Ohio.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 09:50 AM

Something is very wrong with the youth of today, and their abuse of electronic media to records fights, shootings, rapes etc for the fun of posting them.

HOWEVER, the poll was of fewer than FIVE HUNDRED kids in LOS ANGELES in the LATE 1970's.

It is hardly reflective of the "youth of America", and it was not posted in good faith, it was posted to stir up people.

In other words, it is just propaganda.

countryboy
04-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Something is very wrong with the youth of today, and their abuse of electronic media to records fights, shootings, rapes etc for the fun of posting them.

HOWEVER, the poll was of fewer than FIVE HUNDRED kids in LOS ANGELES in the LATE 1970's.

It is hardly reflective of the "youth of America", and it was not posted in good faith, it was posted to stir up people.

Has the troll OP even bothered to post in her own thread?

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Has the troll OP even bothered to post in her own thread?

Don't know.

I am more concerned you quoted my post before I edited error.

I am very OCD about such things.

I need a moderator to go inside the quote and change FICE to FIVE.

countryboy
04-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Don't know.

I am more concerned you quoted my post before I edited error.

I am very OCD about such things.

I need a moderator to go inside the quote and change FICE to FIVE.

Done. :)

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Done. :)

Thanks, I just wrote mods about my OCD.

countryboy
04-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks, I just wrote mods about my OCD.
You can't be THAT OCD, you missed "that/than" too. :D Fixed that also.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 10:16 AM
You can't be THAT OCD, you missed "that/than" too. :D Fixed that also.

Can't catch them all.

Virtually every one of my posts is edited for a nitpicking reason.

It is what it is, I hate it.

Adelaide
04-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Maybe, but what I'm saying is that if you look at some of the stories and issues coming up lately, there does seem to be an issue with teenagers who think it's okay. It's different than the date rapes or acquaintance rapes that happen regularly; it's high school boys gang raping someone and thinking it's funny, while taking pictures and video and posting them on Facebook/Twitter and sending to their classmates who then don't report it. It's a very bad sign of what teens could potentially think on a wider scale.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Maybe, but what I'm saying is that if you look at some of the stories and issues coming up lately, there does seem to be an issue with teenagers who think it's okay. It's different than the date rapes or acquaintance rapes that happen regularly; it's high school boys gang raping someone and thinking it's funny, while taking pictures and video and posting them on Facebook/Twitter and sending to their classmates who then don't report it. It's a very bad sign of what teens could potentially think on a wider scale.

Once rape began to be euphimized with terms like date rape and acquaintance rape, like those were somehow lesser offenses mitigated by some possible wrongdoing or consent on the part of the woman, the trend began.

You are right, there is a horrible attitude toward rape on the part of many kids, there is a horrible attitude toward life on the part of many kids.

The point was that the poster put up a representation of a dubious "poll" of a small sample of the population of one city, 35 years old, and take some figures, with no margin of error listed, and use these suspect results to paint a whole swath of the population.

In other words, it was a flamebaiting post.

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Absolutely right.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Absolutely right.

Except the thread is about a dubious polls accusing the majority of boys of condoning rape, not about the "mentality of SOME high school boys".

I am not defending high school boys, I am condemning flamebaiting posts based on a dubious "poll".

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Except the thread is about a dubious polls accusing the majority of boys of condoning rape, not about the "mentality of SOME high school boys".

I am not defending high school boys, I am condemning flamebaiting posts based on a dubious "poll".

I understand. I was responding to the pack mentality described by Adelaide.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 11:11 AM
I understand. I was responding to the pack mentality described by Adelaide.

I was referring to the pack mentality of the left when thrown red meat like that poll.

Adelaide
04-14-2013, 11:30 AM
I was referring to the pack mentality of the left when thrown red meat like that poll.

I never said the poll was right. It was proven to be out of date and poorly executed. I'm saying that the foundation of the OP does have some merit, regardless of the study quoted. It's easy to see if you watch the news.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 11:35 AM
I never said the poll was right. It was proven to be out of date and poorly executed. I'm saying that the foundation of the OP does have some merit, regardless of the study quoted. It's easy to see if you watch the news.

No merit at all to the idea that "most" boys accept rape.

It was a flamebaiting post based on a "poll" that is more agit-prop than science, and was posted to incite discord, IMNSHO.

Adelaide
04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
No merit at all to the idea that "most" boys accept rape.

It was a flamebaiting post based on a "poll" that is more agit-prop than science, and was posted to incite discord, IMNSHO.

No, but there is merit found in the fact that there is a trend that teenagers don't understand rape, which is the major point of the OP.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 11:40 AM
No, but there is merit found in the fact that there is a trend that teenagers don't understand rape, which is the major point of the OP.

Oh, they understand rape quite well, it is about power, humiliation and control.

A lot like the videos many are raised on.

I just see no evidence the majority accept rape as ok.

Micketto
04-16-2013, 03:41 PM
This recent poll confirms

1978 doesn't seem all that "recent" to me.... nor does a 5 point scale seem to be much of a "poll".

Can't help but wonder why you (OP) have decided not to respond to any of this once this very old, vague study was called out. It was an interesting conversation about how an obsolete study can be made to look like anything, when the photo is edited just right, and especially when the web site hosting the photo was created solely to do so.

Dr. Who
04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
I think it may have something to do with protecting children from the consequences of their actions in addition to the fact that as a society we are becoming less respectful of others. Kids model their parent's behavior, so if respect is in short supply at home, it's likely to be reflected in the way kids interact with others. Check out the behavior of some parents at hockey, football or soccer games where their children are participating. It's pretty outrageous. What does that teach the kids? What do some of these sports teach kids? Once upon a time kids participated in league sports for the fun of it. Not any more. Now they are taught such wonderful gems as "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing". Hence, if you're not a winner - you are a loser. Anyone who is perceived to be a loser, appears to be fair game for any manner of abuse.

For those who blame the media, I don't think that music, tv and video games corrupt kids who have good role models, but may reinforce poor behavior in those who don't. TV, music, movies and games tend to reflect societal values rather than influence them.