PDA

View Full Version : Grateful for outdoors

donttread
08-20-2020, 06:22 PM
I have a yard, a lake, trails and my daughter has acreage. I am outside every day typically for 3 or more hours. I cannot imagine being in a city apartment and only going outside when I was going somewhere.
Outdoors keeps me sane. We've been hitting the home improvement too, currently finishing a fence around my garden.

How about you , how are you spending your outdoor time?

Helena
08-20-2020, 06:29 PM
Lots of hiking trails here. We're right by a river. I take my dog in the morning when no one is up to the conservation area and let him run his little heart out. Then we walk the trails for about an hour. We also have a fairly large yard with woods and trails behind the field.

It was wonderfully cool and crisp this morning. A welcome break from oppressive heat and humidity. It's going to be even better being outdoors in the fall.

Private Pickle
08-20-2020, 06:33 PM
I have a yard, a lake, trails and my daughter has acreage. I am outside every day typically for 3 or more hours. I cannot imagine being in a city apartment and only going outside when I was going somewhere.
Outdoors keeps me sane. We've been hitting the home improvement too, currently finishing a fence around my garden.

How about you , how are you spending your outdoor time?
Shooting things I like to eat.

donttread
08-21-2020, 11:26 AM
Lots of hiking trails here. We're right by a river. I take my dog in the morning when no one is up to the conservation area and let him run his little heart out. Then we walk the trails for about an hour. We also have a fairly large yard with woods and trails behind the field.

It was wonderfully cool and crisp this morning. A welcome break from oppressive heat and humidity. It's going to be even better being outdoors in the fall.

Sounds like a great place to be right now. I guess many of us are more blessed than we feel like during these times. Early fall is great as I am not heat tolerant but can putter outside in a shorts and a short sleeved shirt anywhere in the 50's without getting too hot. COVID times have reinforced my extreme hatred of long pants!
BUT come October you never know here. Smow, wind, lots of rain and extreme mouring for the dramatic loss of daylight. I used to hunt but not much now with my kness in bad shape. I'd be on the ground instead of the deer. LOL

donttread
08-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Shooting things I like to eat.

Wow, what season is open in the summer in your area? Or do you consider game laws to be flexible guidelines as I have in the past done myself?

Private Pickle
08-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Wow, what season is open in the summer in your area? Or do you consider game laws to be flexible guidelines as I have in the past done myself?
No. Game laws are not flexible.

You're right that hunting in Summer is definitely muted but...

Eurasian Dove
Squirrel
And every so often...probably once every year or two I'll bring home a snapping turtle and cook it up.

I also am involved in Falconry during the summer and do a ton of fishing...

But you are correct that things really start to kick off in about 10 days.