PDA

View Full Version : Fall Gardening

Sunsettommy
09-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Getting ready to protect part of your garden from frost to get the full harvest?

Try making a schedule 40 Grey PVC based pole set up (last for many years), using 90 degree sweeps to make the roofs, this is the SAFE and STRONG way to make the walls and the roof support, there is no tension built on it, which is why "Hoop" style greenhouse are dangerous, amazed that "experts" push this type of short lived hazard.

I have a couple of raised 4 feet wide by 25 long garden beds, with Bean and peas starting their blooming phase, since the average frost is only 3 weeks away, it means it will be very cool at night long before that happens, which would stunt the beans growth, therefore I will make a set up when completed, will be 3 feet tall, 4 feet wide. Will sink the 1 foot long 1" or 1 1/4" Grey schedule 40 PVC pipe into the ground OUTSIDE of the garden boards. to accommodate the 3/4" grey PVC pipe insertion.

Here is a photo of simple set up, but they make it dangerous and uses the wrong kind of PVC pipe, it is for visual effect only, to show what it would look like having one set up using far better material, using sweeps to eliminate the built up tension of severely bending pipe, which is crazy thing to do.

https://www.fix.com/assets/content/19574/raised-garden-bed-hoop-house-benefits.png

No pipe cement is needed, just some duck tape instead, that way you can take the while thing down without cutting or breaking anything, cover the inground pope with end caps to keep dirt and water out.

Tee and 4 way tees connects pipes for the roofline and the walls between the "hoops" for strength and wind resistance, just push measured pipes and sweeps together, then some duck tape to prevent them from separating over time.

Collateral Damage
09-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Getting ready to protect part of your garden from frost to get the full harvest?
Try making a schedule 40 Grey PVC based pole set up (last for many years), using 90 degree sweeps to make the roofs, this is the SAFE and STRONG way to make the walls and the roof support, there is no tension built on it, which is why "Hoop" style greenhouse are dangerous, amazed that "experts" push this type of short lived hazard.

I have a couple of raised 4 feet wide by 25 long garden beds, with Bean and peas starting their blooming phase, since the average frost is only 3 weeks away, it means it will be very cool at night long before that happens, which would stunt the beans growth, therefore I will make a set up when completed, will be 3 feet tall, 4 feet wide. Will sink the 1 foot long 1" or 1 1/4" Grey schedule 40 PVC pipe into the ground OUTSIDE of the garden boards. to accommodate the 3/4" grey PVC pipe insertion.
Here is a photo of simple set up, but they make it dangerous and uses the wrong kind of PVC pipe, it is for visual effect only, to show what it would look like having one set up using far better material, using sweeps to eliminate the built up tension of severely bending pipe, which is crazy thing to do.
https://www.fix.com/assets/content/19574/raised-garden-bed-hoop-house-benefits.png

No pipe cement is needed, just some duck tape instead, that way you can take the while thing down without cutting or breaking anything, cover the inground pope with end caps to keep dirt and water out.

Tee and 4 way tees connects pipes for the roofline and the walls between the "hoops" for strength and wind resistance, just push measured pipes and sweeps together, then some duck tape to prevent them from separating over time.
I've been using hoops with row cover for a number of years, spring and fall.

I use a black pipe (for gas I believe), which flexes well enough, use spikes inserted (pre drilled holes) into the 2x4 upper frame of the raised beds to slip the pipe over to make the hoop. Row cover is laid over and held in place with spring clamps. The hoops are also used to temporarily protect seedlings from the deer with netting until we get the fence built.

carolina73
09-15-2020, 11:47 AM

Why the Grey PVC? Gray is generally for electrical. Because it is stiffer? Lasts longer in the sun?

I'm doing this before Thanksgiving to replace my old Aluminum frame greenhouse that has seen too many hurricanes.

Sunsettommy
09-15-2020, 12:57 PM
Why the Grey PVC? Gray is generally for electrical. Because it is stiffer? Lasts longer in the sun?

I'm doing this before Thanksgiving to replace my old Aluminum frame greenhouse that has seen too many hurricanes.

Grey PVC last a LOT longer in the sun, Electricians use it because it is REQUIRED for electrical wiring installations, better to use Schedule 40 as it is much stiffer than 200 class pipe.

I was a city Maintenance Irrigator for 18 years, know a bit about Irrigation, Pipes, timers and so on. Know a bit about gardening too, was the City gardener before I was promoted.

Tahuyaman
09-17-2020, 10:47 PM
We went south for the winter, but I planted garlic and onions. I read where they grow well over our Pacific North West winters I’ll find out in April.

Sunsettommy
09-17-2020, 10:49 PM
We went south for the winter, but I planted garlic and onions. I read where they grow well over our Pacific North West winters I’ll find out in April.

NOT in Eastern Washington!

I would pull them, hang them in a cool place.

Peter1469
09-18-2020, 05:10 AM
They should grow fine without you there to tend to them.

Tahuyaman
09-18-2020, 08:56 AM
NOT in Eastern Washington!

I would pull them, hang them in a cool place.

No. I’m from the Olympic peninsula area.

Sunsettommy
09-18-2020, 09:18 AM
No. I’m from the Olympic peninsula area.

OK, that is a warmer area.

In my area it can go below zero, which can make them get mushy from freezing damage.

Tahuyaman
09-18-2020, 04:24 PM
OK, that is a warmer area.

In my area it can go below zero, which can make them get mushy from freezing damage.
Eastern Washington is hotter than hades during the summer, but very cold winters. I would call it a severe climate.

My area is fairly mild all year long.

Collateral Damage
09-18-2020, 04:39 PM
hardneck or softneck? Hardneck does better up there I believe.

I'm also giving garlic a go this year (again) but trying hardneck this year, Red Chesnok. This area is better for softneck, but it rotted for some reason when I planted it about 5 years ago.

seeds are in for carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, Australian brown onions. This weekend green bunching onions will go in.

Tahuyaman
09-18-2020, 05:42 PM
hardneck or softneck? Hardneck does better up there I believe.

I'm also giving garlic a go this year (again) but trying hardneck this year, Red Chesnok. This area is better for softneck, but it rotted for some reason when I planted it about 5 years ago.

seeds are in for carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, Australian brown onions. This weekend green bunching onions will go in.
I have no idea what strain of garlic. It was something I bought at Lowe’s.

donttread
09-19-2020, 03:24 PM

Fantastic information, I'll look into this next year. Pretty well wrapped up for this season which is unusal