PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Garden wrapped up

donttread
09-19-2020, 03:39 PM
We got a killing frost last night but I didn't worry about it because my garden was close to wrapped up early this year, which was a very good season.
The few squash and tomato plants I had left were done in. All that is left now is 4-5 cabbage as they are cold hardy. The pumpkin vine was dead, partly from powdery mildew so I picked them ( only 2 small ones) and will see if I can keep them for Halloween.
It feels good to not be looking forward to tarping sections of the garden from now until early Oct when I ususally finish up.

I also made an observation, not a shocker, but something that may be worth discussion. The frost took out the squash and tomatos and probably would have killed any crops except Brassics. But I looked around for a SINGLE frost nipped weed and could not find one. Plantain, Dandelion, Lambs Quaters , some of our flowers to include Marigolds ,Sunchokes, grass, Valarien, and mulitple species I cannot name all doing well.
What is it about the crops humans have choosen vs natures harvest? Did we screw up?

Tahuyaman
09-19-2020, 03:48 PM
Mine started out slow, but I ended up getting a good batch of corn, beans, peas and carrots. My potatoes and onions were a bit disappointing.

The weird thing was that my corn only got about three to four feet tall, but had normal sized ears of corn.

Sunsettommy
09-20-2020, 01:49 AM
We got a killing frost last night but I didn't worry about it because my garden was close to wrapped up early this year, which was a very good season.
The few squash and tomato plants I had left were done in. All that is left now is 4-5 cabbage as they are cold hardy. The pumpkin vine was dead, partly from powdery mildew so I picked them ( only 2 small ones) and will see if I can keep them for Halloween.
It feels good to not be looking forward to tarping sections of the garden from now until early Oct when I ususally finish up.

I also made an observation, not a shocker, but something that may be worth discussion. The frost took out the squash and tomatos and probably would have killed any crops except Brassics. But I looked around for a SINGLE frost nipped weed and could not find one. Plantain, Dandelion, Lambs Quaters , some of our flowers to include Marigolds ,Sunchokes, grass, Valarien, and mulitple species I cannot name all doing well.
What is it about the crops humans have choosen vs natures harvest? Did we screw up?

All those weeds have frost tolerance built in them, Tomatoes and Squash do not, even if it was in the upper 30's, they stopped growing just too cold for them.

If you do that temporary greenhouse set up, they will last longer and even grow a little more.

BY the way dig up your tomato plants that still have unripened fruit on them, take it into the garage or some place that stays above 35, some of the tomatoes will ripen in the damaged plant.

You can even save the green ones that are ready to ripen, just spread them out on a table in a dark room, many of them will ripen as well.

Sunsettommy
09-20-2020, 01:52 AM
Mine started out slow, but I ended up getting a good batch of corn, beans, peas and carrots. My potatoes and onions were a bit disappointing.

The weird thing was that my corn only got about three to four feet tall, but had normal sized ears of corn.

The Corn might not have had enough water, I water mine very deeply every 2-3 days in the hot summer time, they get to around 8 feet tall, Stowell's Evergreen white is great!

Tahuyaman
09-20-2020, 07:46 AM
The Corn might not have had enough water, I water mine very deeply every 2-3 days in the hot summer time, they get to around 8 feet tall, Stowell's Evergreen white is great!

I watered mine daily. our growing season started out cooler than normal.

Sunsettommy
09-20-2020, 10:49 AM
I watered mine daily. our growing season started out cooler than normal.

There is a reason why I water every 2-3 days, to allow the soil to be properly oxygenated, and to encourage the roots go deeper.

Daily watering makes for shallower rooting and less soil oxygen which will slow plant growth down.

My standard seed spacing is 16" apart.

carolina73
09-20-2020, 01:08 PM
I just put in the second planting. Just leafy lettuces, spinach, spices, replanted onions for the tops. I threw in a few tomato plants but don't expect much. Most plants seem to know that its the wrong season. I may get a few tomatoes before the frost (or not). Luckily I am getting a cold week to start the transplants where it is only in the 70s during the days. It was in the high 80s last week. I did everything in pots to be moved into the replacement green house (thank to the poster with the PVC construction description).

Tahuyaman
09-21-2020, 05:44 PM
There is a reason why I water every 2-3 days, to allow the soil to be properly oxygenated, and to encourage the roots go deeper.

Daily watering makes for shallower rooting and less soil oxygen which will slow plant growth down.

My standard seed spacing is 16" apart.
I didn’t over-water. The corn was deeply rooted.

Sunsettommy
09-21-2020, 07:39 PM
I didn’t over-water. The corn was deeply rooted.

Ok.

Maybe you planted corn in the same place two or more years in a row?

My open pollinated corn would get 3-4 ears per plant and of large size, I rotate every year to avoid depleting the soil, hybrid corn are deep eaters of soil fertility, probably the most of any common garden plant.