PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Bechdel Test?

KC
05-02-2013, 01:11 PM
The Bechdel test is a test originally developed by Alison Bechdel, a cartoonist who illustrated comics dealing with LGBT and gender issues.

The test is based on a rant by one her characters, meant to determine how male-centered a film is. For a film to pass the Bechdel test, and not be male centered, it must pass the following criteria:

1. There are are at least two named female characters
2. Who have a conversation at some point in the film
3. About something other than a man or men.

Believe it or not, most movies, even those aimed at female audiences, don't pass. The question is, do you think this is a useful criteria for films? Why? Does it even matter?

Mister D
05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
The Bechdel test is a test originally developed by Alison Bechdel, a cartoonist who illustrated comics dealing with LGBT and gender issues.

The test is based on a rant by one her characters, meant to determine how male-centered a film is. For a film to pass the Bechdel test, and not be male centered, it must pass the following criteria:

1. There are are at least two named female characters
2. Who have a conversation at some point in the film
3. About something other than a man or men.

Believe it or not, most movies, even those aimed at female audiences, don't pass. The question is, do you think this is a useful criteria for films? Why? Does it even matter?

If it matters then women should make more female-centered films.

KC
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
If it matters then women should make more female-centered films.

Yes, fair enough.

Also since many women do not seem to care that the movies targeted towards them do not pass the test, there must not be a whole lot of demand for films that do.

Mister D
05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Yes, fair enough.

Also since many women do not seem to care that the movies targeted towards them do not pass the test, there must not be a whole lot of demand for films that do.

Right. I can't help but think that there is a certain frivolous quality to contemprary feminsim.

KC
05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Right. I can't help but think that there is a certain frivolous quality to contemprary feminsim.

Still, I find it so strange that so many films do not pass. The criteria just seems so basic, ti's hard to wrap my head around.

But then, most of the movies I enjoy most wouldn't qualify, and that doesn't change much in how I feel about them.

Mister D
05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Still, I find it so strange that so many films do not pass. The criteria just seems so basic, ti's hard to wrap my head around.

But then, most of the movies I enjoy most wouldn't qualify, and that doesn't change much in how I feel about them.

I'm not a movie guy but I don't think any of the movies I enjoy woul qualify. Taxi Driver? Nope. Platoon? Nope.

Greenridgeman
05-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Yes, fair enough.

By God, Congress must do SOMETHING.

Common
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
I dont know it seems to me that most movies today have a female as the hero or a male and female hero.
I never heard of this test so I am basically clueless

jillian
05-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes, fair enough.

i would think most women don't know about the test.

and it's virtually impossible to get funding for a film.... there are maybe 2 or 3 women who can manage it.

KC
05-02-2013, 03:42 PM
By God, Congress must do SOMETHING.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Greenridgeman
05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Sarcasm dude, isn't the answer to every inequity in America a bunch of new laws?

KC
05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Sarcasm dude, isn't the answer to every inequity in America a bunch of new laws?

Right, and I responded with sarcasm.