PDA

View Full Version : She's cooking AGAIN!

oceanloverOH
05-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I ran across this recipe in my handwritten recipe file box the other day....I've had it longer than many of you have been walking and talking, LOL! So I updated it a little (I now use Dreamfields pasta exclusively), typed it in to my digital recipe file and prepared it today (it's in the oven right now). Note that this recipe does take a long time to prepare; those of you who go to school full time or work long days and/or nights probably should save this one for a weekend or day off. But if you like spicy, it's VERY good!

Mexican Lasagna
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes (includes cook, simmer and stand times)
Bake Time: 35 minutes
About 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
1½ lbs ground beef
¾ cup chopped onion
2 cans (10 oz each) mild Rotel tomatoes and chiles
1 envelope McCormick Sloppy Joe mix
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
1½ cups shredded Mexican Four Cheese Blend or shredded Habanero Blend cheese
1½ cups shredded Mild Cheddar cheese
¾-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ pint (8 oz) sour cream
8 lasagna noodles
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small can (2.25 oz) sliced black olives, drained
1½ Tbsp dried parsley flakes

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Spray 13x9x2 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
3. Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions, adding olive oil to boiling water to prevent sticking. Drain noodles into colander and rinse in cold water; drain well on paper towels and set aside.
4. Mix shredded Mexican and mild cheddar cheeses in a bowl to make 3 cups, set aside.
5. In a large skillet, brown meat and onions, drain and return to skillet. Add tomatoes, sloppy joe mix, salt, pepper and cumin. Simmer 15 minutes, remove from heat, let stand 10 minutes.
6. Add sour cream to meat mixture and mix well.
7. In 13X9X2 pan or Pyrex dish, layer in order: ½ of the meat mixture, 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise (slightly overlapping), ½ of the Mexican cheese mixture. Repeat. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the cheese mixture on top only. Garnish top with evenly sprinkled dried parsley flakes and sliced black olives.
8. Bake 35 minutes in preheated oven, let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Greenridgeman
05-03-2013, 07:14 PM
I ran across this recipe in my handwritten recipe file box the other day....I've had it longer than many of you have been walking and talking, LOL! So I updated it a little (I now use Dreamfields pasta exclusively), typed it in to my digital recipe file and prepared it today (it's in the oven right now). Note that this recipe does take a long time to prepare; those of you who go to school full time or work long days and/or nights probably should save this one for a weekend or day off. But if you like spicy, it's VERY good!

Mexican Lasagna
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes (includes cook, simmer and stand times)
Bake Time: 35 minutes
About 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
1½ lbs ground beef
¾ cup chopped onion
2 cans (10 oz each) mild Rotel tomatoes and chiles
1 envelope McCormick Sloppy Joe mix
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
1½ cups shredded Mexican Four Cheese Blend or shredded Habanero Blend cheese
1½ cups shredded Mild Cheddar cheese
¾-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ pint (8 oz) sour cream
8 lasagna noodles
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small can (2.25 oz) sliced black olives, drained
1½ Tbsp dried parsley flakes

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Spray 13x9x2 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
3. Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions, adding olive oil to boiling water to prevent sticking. Drain noodles into colander and rinse in cold water; drain well on paper towels and set aside.
4. Mix shredded Mexican and mild cheddar cheeses in a bowl to make 3 cups, set aside.
5. In a large skillet, brown meat and onions, drain and return to skillet. Add tomatoes, sloppy joe mix, salt, pepper and cumin. Simmer 15 minutes, remove from heat, let stand 10 minutes.
6. Add sour cream to meat mixture and mix well.
7. In 13X9X2 pan or Pyrex dish, layer in order: ½ of the meat mixture, 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise (slightly overlapping), ½ of the Mexican cheese mixture. Repeat. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the cheese mixture on top only. Garnish top with evenly sprinkled dried parsley flakes and sliced black olives.
8. Bake 35 minutes in preheated oven, let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Mexican lasgana!!!

Do you make Italian fajitas???

KC
05-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Sounds like it would go great with some black beans. My Aunt makes something similar. It's delicious.

oceanloverOH
05-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Sounds like it would go great with some black beans. My Aunt makes something similar. It's delicious.

I bet it would go great with black beans! A guy on another forum suggested I use cilantro instead of parsley....which is a GREAT idea! I didn't write the recipe, I inherited it from a great-aunt in the 70s (aunties make good stuff, don't they?)....but I am gonna make that change to the garnish.

KC
05-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I bet it would go great with black beans! A guy on another forum suggested I use cilantro instead of parsley....which is a GREAT idea! I didn't write the recipe, I inherited it from a great-aunt in the 70s (aunties make good stuff, don't they?)....but I am gonna make that change to the garnish.

Oh yeah cilantro is great, good choice.

Aunts sure do know how to cook! My aunt on my father's side is something of a local cooking celebrity. She's always in the newspaper for one of her recipes, or for being an AllRecipes.com ambassador (the website sent her a weird traveling gnome), or for writing guest pieces in the newspaper's food column.

Mister D
05-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Parsley is good stuff. It tames that garlic odor that you get when consume 8 cloves in a sitting.

oceanloverOH
05-04-2013, 05:39 AM
The Mexican Lasagna was excellent....and spicy enough to make me perspire! Tonight, Sweet Citrus Grilled Chicken.........

Mister D
05-04-2013, 09:42 AM
The Mexican Lasagna was excellent....and spicy enough to make me perspire! Tonight, Sweet Citrus Grilled Chicken.........

Doesn't that suck? I've had moments where my hair is wet after eating chili or something very spicy.