PDA

View Full Version : Ultraconservative Muslims Score in Egyptian Elections

Conley
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
CAIRO — Islamists claimed a decisive victory on Wednesday as early election results put them on track to win a dominant majority in Egypt’s first Parliament since the ouster of Hosni Mubarak, the most significant step yet in the religious movement’s rise since the start of the Arab Spring.

The party formed by the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s mainstream Islamist group, appeared to have taken about 40 percent of the vote, as expected. But a big surprise was the strong showing of ultraconservative Islamists, called Salafis, many of whom see most popular entertainment as sinful and reject women’s participation in voting or public life.

Analysts in the state-run news media said early returns indicated that Salafi groups could take as much as a quarter of the vote, giving the two groups of Islamists combined control of nearly 65 percent of the parliamentary seats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/world/middleeast/voting-in-egypt-shows-mandate-for-islamists.html

Well, while not unexpected, this is definitely bad news. Hosni Mubarak is looking better and better. I wonder how true the voting results really are.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 12:47 PM
No surprises here...

Was it monitored?

Conley
12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
No surprises here...

Was it monitored?

That's what I'm wondering too. I can't think the people who were protesting would be too jazzed about implementing a Taliban style government. The Muslim Brotherhood makes sense I suppose but not the success of the extremists.

Mister D
12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately, I doubt our leaders know much more than we do about the situation.

Captain Obvious
12-01-2011, 07:29 PM
"goooooo DEMOCRACY!!!!"

D'OH!!!!