PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Sugar Isn’t so Sweet for Your Health

Peter1469
10-11-2020, 06:35 AM
Too Much Sugar Isn’t so Sweet for Your Health (https://beforeitsnews.com/health/2020/10/too-much-sugar-isnt-so-sweet-for-your-health-3035790.html)

One good thing the FDA has done is require sugars on ingredient labels to break down by total sugars, with a sub category or added sugars. That is sugar not natural to the food. And that is sugar that does not need to be there at all.

The bolded below: the average sugar calories of sugar per person equals 17 teaspoons! That is insane.

Added sugar can be found in so many products, even in the ones you least expect. Most people choose to eat quick, processed food for lunch. But they don’t know these products contain a lot of added sugar that exceeds the daily dose of calories. A diet for improving your health suggests limiting your daily calories from added sugar, which has to be less than 10% per day. Do you want to learn how to limit calories from added sugars and still enjoy delicious foods and drinks? The Dietary Guidelines recommend that for a 2,000-calorie diet, you eat 200 calories of added sugar (12 teaspoons).

The average American eats about 270 calories of sugar each day; that’s about 17 teaspoons of sugar! What is added sugar? Added sugars aren’t naturally found in foods – just like it sounds, they’re added. Candies, cookies, yogurt, cereals, and sodas can contain a lot of added sugar, representing a real problem for your health. Eating and drinking a lot of added sugars can contribute calories, but they’re not essential nutrients. It is proven that sugar consumption is a significant cause of chronic diseases and obesity. Here are some tips on learning how to cut down your sugar intake (https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/sugar/tips-for-cutting-down-on-sugar).

Cut the Usual Amount of Sugar by Half

Counting the amount of sugar you eat is an important part of a healthy lifestyle.

Helena
10-11-2020, 09:13 AM
The average American eats about 270 calories of sugar each day; that’s about 17 teaspoons of sugar!

Don't know why they chose to use teaspoons. People see teaspoons as being very small so they might see that and think "meh, no big deal."

There are 3 tsp in every tablespoon. Would it have made a bigger impact if they had stated that the average American eats about 5.6 tablespoons of sugar a day?

Peter1469
10-11-2020, 10:10 AM
Don't know why they chose to use teaspoons. People see teaspoons as being very small so they might see that and think "meh, no big deal."

There are 3 tsp in every tablespoon. Would it have made a bigger impact if they had stated that the average American eats about 5.6 tablespoons of sugar a day?
Maybe. I track my calories and macros so either is fine with me.

carolina73
10-11-2020, 10:42 AM
I use very little sugar.

However, when traveling it is difficult to know where you are getting it.
I was surprised again, by the recent article that showed Ireland would not allow Subway bread to be called a staple food item, because it had 5 times the allowable amount of sugar for bread. I didn't realize that my quick dinner was actually turkey, lettuce... on a whole wheat sugar doughnut.