PDA

View Full Version : tPF Autism’s Gut Connection: Microbes Could Soon Lead to New Treatments

DGUtley
10-19-2020, 07:42 AM
Autism’s Gut Connection: Microbes Could Soon Lead to New Treatments -- Researchers are finding clues to autistic behavior — in patients’ gut bacteria. Using fecal transplants to improve symptoms have shown promise in preliminary studies.

This is a very interesting story:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/autisms-gut-connection-microbes-could-soon-lead-to-new-treatments?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DiscoverMag+(Discover+Magazin e)?utm_source=dig

Ethan Woods had GI issues and symptoms of autism until researchers introduced new microbes to his gut. His mother says the treatment
changed everything.

Peter1469
10-19-2020, 12:46 PM
Docs and scientists are finding a lot of links between the gut, the brain and our health. It is pretty fascinating stuff.

Cotton1
10-19-2020, 02:14 PM
I wonder how you go about being a donor for "fecal transplants ? :grin:

Dr. Who
10-19-2020, 02:59 PM
Autism’s Gut Connection: Microbes Could Soon Lead to New Treatments -- Researchers are finding clues to autistic behavior — in patients’ gut bacteria. Using fecal transplants to improve symptoms have shown promise in preliminary studies.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/autisms-gut-connection-microbes-could-soon-lead-to-new-treatments?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DiscoverMag+(Discover+Magazin e)?utm_source=dig

Ethan Woods had GI issues and symptoms of autism until researchers introduced new microbes to his gut. His mother says the treatment
changed everything.

That's an incredible finding. It has the potential to help millions of kids with autism and perhaps even adults.

jet57
10-20-2020, 04:49 PM

changed everything.

What a fascinating article; thanks for posting it. Autism is such a murky thing, if they can help people along it'll really be great.

John Galt
10-20-2020, 05:08 PM
Interesting article. I have a few calls to make. There is an excellent program around here that has numerous autistic people. I'm wondering why they don't know about this, as they are cutting edge.

CCitizen
10-20-2020, 06:03 PM
Great article.

Still Proud to be an Aspie!

Peter1469
10-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Interesting article. I have a few calls to make. There is an excellent program around here that has numerous autistic people. I'm wondering why they don't know about this, as they are cutting edge.
I bet they do.

Cletus
10-20-2020, 06:05 PM
I bet they do.

If they don't, they are obviously NOT "cutting edge".

donttread
10-26-2020, 08:45 PM
Docs and scientists are finding a lot of links between the gut, the brain and our health. It is pretty fascinating stuff.

It really is. On the other hand a little discouraging to realize that our bowels may rule us. I didn't think that happeend until old age.

carolina73
10-26-2020, 09:14 PM
Leaves me asking what they are eating or taking that is killing the good bacteria. Could the anti vaxxer be right?
This is a problem that kids didn't really have to deal with decades ago in numbers like we have today.

Peter1469
10-27-2020, 03:53 AM
Leaves me asking what they are eating or taking that is killing the good bacteria. Could the anti vaxxer be right?
This is a problem that kids didn't really have to deal with decades ago in numbers like we have today.
A high sugar diet doesn't help.

donttread
10-28-2020, 08:44 AM

Good question however kids ate a much more balanced deit in the past and I'm sure the lack of activity doesn't help. I try to eat a Yogurt everyday just in case. Especially since the gut bacteria may effect behavior like some parasites do!

Peter1469
10-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Good question however kids ate a much more balanced deit in the past and I'm sure the lack of activity doesn't help. I try to eat a Yogurt everyday just in case. Especially since the gut bacteria may effect behavior like some parasites do!
Sugar and highly refined carbs really screw up the gut flora.

carolina73
10-28-2020, 09:30 AM
A high sugar diet doesn't help.

But don't kids eat less sugar today compared to what we used to have as kids? The only restrictions we had as kids was how much money we could scrounge up or how many pcs of baseball card bubble gum we could physically fit in our mouths.

Peter1469
10-28-2020, 09:47 AM
But don't kids eat less sugar today compared to what we used to have as kids? The only restrictions we had as kids was how much money we could scrounge up or how many pcs of baseball card bubble gum we could physically fit in our mouths.
I don't know, but I assume Google does.

I was so active as a kid it didn't matter what I ate.

TheOneOnly2
10-28-2020, 02:38 PM
Promising? I am sceptical. Was kid from story actually autistic or just had symptoms? Does this stuff work for entire spectrum or just mild? Just severe? Does anyone even really know what autism is? Who actually has it?

carolina73
10-29-2020, 12:31 PM
I don't know, but I assume Google does.

I was so active as a kid it didn't matter what I ate.

True. That is a huge difference. We were not allowed home until the street lights went on and then they had to threaten us to get us home then.

We played sports with real balls.

Peter1469
11-05-2020, 10:48 AM
How the gut protects the brain (https://cosmosmagazine.com/health/body-and-mind/how-the-gut-protects-the-brain/)

The gut is well known for being the first line of defence against infection, but it seems it also protects our most important organ – the brain.

According to surprising new research, antibodies that defend the perimeter of the brain are normally found in, and trained by, our gut.

“This finding opens a new area of neuroimmunology, showing that gut-educated antibody-producing cells inhabit and defend regions that surround the central nervous system,” says Dorian McGavern from the National Institutes of Health, US, co-author of a paper (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2886-4) in the journal Nature.

The work brought together researchers from the NIS and the University of Cambridge, UK. They found that special IgA antibodies were present in the outer meninges – membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord – of both mice and humans.

“This finding was completely unexpected,” says McGavern. “Prior to our study, IgA cells had not been shown to reside in the dura mater – the outer meninge – under steady state conditions.”