PDA

View Full Version : Least Favored Veggies Are Top for Your Heart

Peter1469
10-30-2020, 06:49 AM
Least Favored Veggies Are Top for Your Heart (https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/10/30/cruciferous-vegetables-help-keep-your-heart-healthy.aspx?cid_source=prnl&cid_medium=email&cid_content=art2HL&cid=20201030Z1&mid=DM693015&rid=999378842)

It looks like cruciferous vegetables are good for hearth health.

This likely isn’t the first time you’ve been advised to eat your vegetables, but I’m going to add a new declaration: Eat your vegetables, especially the ones you may not particularly like.

If you’re not a vegetable eater, you technically may get your two to three servings per day by fitting in things like potatoes, carrots and corn (which isn’t actually a vegetable, by the way). But while those may be some of your most favorite veggies,1 they’re not the most nutritious options even though they do have some health benefits.

Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts (one of America’s most hated vegetables), have a lot more to offer, including protection for your heart.

In a recent study published in the British Journal of Nutrition,2 researchers looked at data from 684 older Western Australian women and found that those who ate more cruciferous vegetables had a lower risk of extensive calcium buildup in their aortas, the main artery that carries blood away from the heart.

The women in the study who ate more than 45 grams of cruciferous vegetables every day, such as a quarter cup of cooked broccoli or half a cup of raw cabbage, for example, were 46% less likely to have calcium buildup in their aortas compared to women who ate little to no cruciferous vegetables.

This is significant because calcium buildup is one of the key markers for atherosclerosis and structural blood vessel disease. When calcium builds up in the arteries, it “hardens” the arteries, hinders blood flow and reduces the amount of blood that circulates around the body. This series of physiological changes is conventionally thought to be a primary underlying cause of heart attack or stroke.3

On a side note, there are other working theories, however, that discount and refute the blocked artery notion. In his 2004 book, “The Etiopathogenesis of Coronary Heart Disease,”4 the late Dr. Giorgio Baroldi wrote that the largest study done on heart attack incidence revealed only 41% of people who have a heart attack actually have a blocked artery.

DGUtley
10-30-2020, 07:03 AM
I love broccoli and cabbage. I don't like brussel sprouts.

Peter1469
10-30-2020, 07:30 AM
I love broccoli and cabbage. I don't like brussel sprouts.
I can eat brussels sprouts if I quarter them, toss with olive oil and bake them.

Broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are all great.

DGUtley
10-30-2020, 07:31 AM
It is the smell with Brussel Sprouts - like cherrios. I can't do it.

Lummy
10-30-2020, 08:51 AM
Brussel sprouts taste like Cheerios to you?

You're doing it wrong.

countryboy
10-30-2020, 09:00 AM
It is the smell with Brussel Sprouts - like cherrios. I can't do it.

They do stink a little. But I like them. Cheerios too.

Collateral Damage
10-30-2020, 09:15 AM
Cabbage and Brussel sprouts are on my 'if I have to' list. Enjoy broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy and a bunch of others.

carolina73
10-30-2020, 09:57 AM
That works for me. Just don't ask me to eat beets.

Peter1469
10-30-2020, 09:57 AM
That works for me. Just don't ask me to eat beets.

I like juiced beets.

Mister D
10-30-2020, 10:10 AM
I eat more vegetables from this family than any other. I eat leafy greens and broccoli regularly. At least 3-4 times a week. Cauliflower...meh. Not a big fan. Frozen Baby Brussels Sprouts are nice with a little salt.

Mister D
10-30-2020, 10:10 AM
I wish I liked beets but they're truly disgusting.

jigglepete
10-30-2020, 12:35 PM
I love broccoli and cauliflower, raw or cooked, I've enjoyed brussel sprouts if they're cooked right...but my favorite vegetables are "personal vegetables" :grin:

https://youtu.be/nQPFKbLiGeo

The Booman
10-31-2020, 12:14 AM
WellI'm sorted then Love Broccoli and the sprouts.Just keep the Lima beans away from me. they are evil.Nothing good comes from eating Lima beans.

Jen
10-31-2020, 12:16 AM
I love vegetables and eat them just about every day. My arteries aren't clogged. A good diet really makes a difference.

Peter1469
10-31-2020, 04:21 AM
Smothered Cabbage with Ham (https://beforeitsnews.com/cooking-and-recipes/2020/10/smothered-cabbage-with-ham-2491936.html)

Smothered Cabbage with HamYield: 4Author: Marie Rayner

prep time: 15 Mincook time: 30 Mintotal time: 45 Min
This is the perfect way to use up little bits of ham. It cooks all in one dish, with salty pieces of ham, onion, tender chunks of potato, and buttery cabbage. This makes an excellent side dish to serve with roast chicken or pork! Quick, easy and delicious!
Ingredients

1 TBS canola oil (I would use sunflower seed oil instead)
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup (65g)diced smoked ham
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
5 cups (450g) coarsely chopped green cabbage
1/2 cup (120ml) low sodium chicken stock
1 large baking potato, washed and cut into chunks
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 TBS cider vinegar

Instructions

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, just until the onion begins to brown and caramelise a bit.
Add the ham and garlic. Cook for a further minute.
Add the cabbage, chicken stock, potatoes and season lightly. Bring to the boil and cover tightly.
Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove the lid. Turn up the heat to medium high and cook, stirring until most of the liquid has been evaporated, another 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the cider vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Serve hot.