PDA

View Full Version : Cheese

GrassrootsConservative
05-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I have an unhealthy obsession with cheese. Whether it is white like gouda or dark like a zesty chipotle cheddar. I can never get enough. Went to the store yesterday and got 2 big blocks of homemade Wisconsin habanero cheese to try.

What are your favorite cheeses?

Peter1469
05-18-2013, 04:55 PM
It depends on what I need it for. But in general I like various blues and Gorgonzolas, goat milk cheeses, and brie. But I do like American slices every now and then.

GrassrootsConservative
05-18-2013, 04:58 PM
It depends on what I need it for. But in general I like various blues and Gorgonzolas, goat milk cheeses, and brie. But I do like American slices every now and then.

Goat milk cheese has a very sharp flavor to it, if I remember correctly. Very tasty. I think I have had brie before too, but not Gorgonzolas. Is it good?

Peter1469
05-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Goat milk cheese has a very sharp flavor to it, if I remember correctly. Very tasty. I think I have had brie before too, but not Gorgonzolas. Is it good?

If you like blue cheese you would like Gorgonzola.

jillian
05-18-2013, 05:07 PM
I have an unhealthy obsession with cheese. Whether it is white like gouda or dark like a zesty chipotle cheddar. I can never get enough. Went to the store yesterday and got 2 big blocks of homemade Wisconsin habanero cheese to try.

you'd have loved growing up in my house. my dad has been in the cheese business since i was in high school.

Chris
05-18-2013, 06:37 PM
If asked I say Murrican. I like cheese but not enough I guess to know all the different varieties.

Here's an infographic with a silly cheese joke..

http://i.snag.gy/WOMSC.jpg

oceanloverOH
05-18-2013, 09:30 PM
When in Europe, I lived very near the Holland border. I fell in love with young Gouda cheese, melted and spread on raw veggies or crackers....soooo good! (IMO, it's not nearly as good once it's aged). My second favorite is a nice buttery nutty Swiss with REALLY big holes. I don't care much for stronger, harder, darker yellow cheeses.

Dr. Who
05-18-2013, 09:41 PM
I like most cheeses except the blues (sorry Peter). The blues taste like they look to me. I like really aged cheddar, feta, parmigiano reggiano, provolone, gouda, swiss. Not that fond of goats cheese, but it really depends on which ones. As long as they don't taste goaty or really bland.

Peter1469
05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't like Swiss. I do like the sharp cheddars in moderation.

GrassrootsConservative
05-18-2013, 09:46 PM
I like most cheeses except the blues (sorry Peter). The blues taste like they look to me. I like really aged cheddar, feta, parmigiano reggiano, provolone, gouda, swiss. Not that fond of goats cheese, but it really depends on which ones. As long as they don't taste goaty or really bland.

Feta is good. So is provolone.

Dr. Who
05-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Feta is good. So is provolone.My favorite salad is a greek village salad. No lettuce, only tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, red onion, olives and lots of feta. (I usually remove the olives). Add some good olive oil and balsamic vinegar and that's a great salad.

oceanloverOH
05-18-2013, 10:47 PM
My favorite salad is a greek village salad. No lettuce, only tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, red onion, olives and lots of feta. (I usually remove the olives). Add some good olive oil and balsamic vinegar and that's a great salad.

Who needs lettuce? Hold the onion (does bad things to my tummy), add some sliced zucchini and I could make a meal off this! Can I have your olives, pleeeeeaaaaase?

Dr. Who
05-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Who needs lettuce? Hold the onion (does bad things to my tummy), add some sliced zucchini and I could make a meal off this! Can I have your olives, pleeeeeaaaaase?You're welcome to them - somehow I never developed a taste for them. I have a trick for silencing the onions. Marinate them in vinegar and salt, before adding them to the salad.

Peter1469
05-18-2013, 11:29 PM
I love raw onions- and garlic.

Dr. Who
05-18-2013, 11:37 PM
I love raw onions- and garlic.I love them too, but sometimes raw onions keep coming back to say hello, unless I marinate them first.

Peter1469
05-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Not me so far. I like to put garlic in the pan with my steak when I cook it, and then just pinch the garlic out of its skin and eat it. Yummy.

Dr. Who
05-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Not me so far. I like to put garlic in the pan with my steak when I cook it, and then just pinch the garlic out of its skin and eat it. Yummy.Do you roast garlic?

Peter1469
05-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Do you roast garlic?

Oh sure.

That is a way to eat it if raw is too strong for you.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 12:20 AM
Oh sure.

That is a way to eat it if raw is too strong for you.Mmm... garlic mashed potatoes, made with roasted garlic. Amazing.

Peter1469
05-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Mmm... garlic mashed potatoes, made with roasted garlic. Amazing.

Yes and I add lots of black pepper. I made some a couple of weeks ago.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Yes and I add lots of black pepper. I made some a couple of weeks ago.Skins on or off?

Peter1469
05-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Skins on or off?

On. I usually use red potatoes.

oceanloverOH
05-19-2013, 05:48 AM
I really like well-cooked onions, and garlic any way I can get it.

Speaking of potatoes, I'm preparing my Mom's recipe for potato salad today, to go with hubby's bbq chicken thighs. Potato salad takes virtually all day to make....and I have to use onion powder in place of onions in it....but it's soooooo good! Maybe I'll try your tip on marinating the onions, Dr. Who. Scared to, though....with me, it's not just a "repeating" problem. The last time I ate raw onions, I wound up in the ER doubled over with acute gastroenteritis.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 10:40 AM
On. I usually use red potatoes.Me too, with the skins on.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 10:41 AM
I really like well-cooked onions, and garlic any way I can get it.

Speaking of potatoes, I'm preparing my Mom's recipe for potato salad today, to go with hubby's bbq chicken thighs. Potato salad takes virtually all day to make....and I have to use onion powder in place of onions in it....but it's soooooo good! Maybe I'll try your tip on marinating the onions, @Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612). Scared to, though....with me, it's not just a "repeating" problem. The last time I ate raw onions, I wound up in the ER doubled over with acute gastroenteritis.Then don't use raw onions. It's not worth the risk. Can you handle chives?

Peter1469
05-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Me too, with the skins on.

Yes- must keep the skins on.

Mister D
05-19-2013, 11:10 AM
I love onions but not caramelized. They get too sweet when they are roasted or pan fried for a long time. I like them simmered in a chili or meat sauce though. Nothing better than lots of raw onion on top of a freshly cooked bowl of chili. I feel for you oceanloverOH

Peter1469
05-19-2013, 11:19 AM
I love onions but not caramelized. They get too sweet when they are roasted or pan fried for a long time. I like them simmered in a chili or meat sauce though. Nothing better than lots of raw onion on top of a freshly cooked bowl of chili. I feel for you @oceanloverOH (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=494)

Agreed on the onions.

oceanloverOH
05-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Then don't use raw onions. It's not worth the risk. Can you handle chives?

Yeah, it's a shame; onions can add so much flavor to so many things. And people always look at me like I'm nuts when I order burgers and other meals with no onions, please. Luckily, yes, I can eat chives and also the green tops of green onions don't affect me, and I use them a lot....can't eat the white bottoms of green onions though. I'm just thankful I can eat all the garlic I want, cuz I love it!

roadmaster
05-19-2013, 01:56 PM
The only cheese I don't like is blue cheese. I love cheese in about everything.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah, it's a shame; onions can add so much flavor to so many things. And people always look at me like I'm nuts when I order burgers and other meals with no onions, please. Luckily, yes, I can eat chives and also the green tops of green onions don't affect me, and I use them a lot....can't eat the white bottoms of green onions though. I'm just thankful I can eat all the garlic I want, cuz I love it!Great. I use green onions or chives in my potato salad. The sauce is half sour cream and half Miracle Whip with a couple of spoonsful of horseradish mustard and S&P to taste. Pretty simple, but I like it - LOL it's my mother's recipe, so I grew up eating it.

Common
05-19-2013, 02:07 PM
My favorite salad is a greek village salad. No lettuce, only tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, red onion, olives and lots of feta. (I usually remove the olives). Add some good olive oil and balsamic vinegar and that's a great salad.

During tomato season quarter then 1/8 the tomatoes, cucumber and sliced red onion thin, feta, cubed fresh mozzarella and shredded asiago. Olive oil Balsamic and Tons of chopped garlic. Add other spices cover it and let it get ice cold in the fridge so the flavors meld.

Tip for Garlic Lovers: If you are going to cook garlic in any way, sautee it with olive oil or whatever, after you slice it or dice it, let it sit for a minimum of 10 minutes, i usually do 15, it takes that long for the garlic to release the alicin in it which has all the GOOD stuff and it greatly enhances the flavor.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 02:07 PM
The only cheese I don't like is blue cheese. I love cheese in about everything.

Me to - I don't understand the fundamental difference in people's taste buds. How can blue cheese taste good? It's beyond me. But then again I don't like olives or grape leaves, but will eat other things that people think are horrible, like pickled herring.

Peter1469
05-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I love blue cheese- I hate herring.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 02:46 PM
I love blue cheese- I hate herring. See what I mean? Different taste buds. There must be a study somewhere comparing the difference in how people perceive flavor.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 02:51 PM
During tomato season quarter then 1/8 the tomatoes, cucumber and sliced red onion thin, feta, cubed fresh mozzarella and shredded asiago. Olive oil Balsamic and Tons of chopped garlic. Add other spices cover it and let it get ice cold in the fridge so the flavors meld.

Tip for Garlic Lovers: If you are going to cook garlic in any way, sautee it with olive oil or whatever, after you slice it or dice it, let it sit for a minimum of 10 minutes, i usually do 15, it takes that long for the garlic to release the alicin in it which has all the GOOD stuff and it greatly enhances the flavor.But don't the tomatoes get a bit mushy sitting in oil and vinegar? I sometimes marinate the feta in the dressing and herbs for an hour or so, along with the red onions.

oceanloverOH
05-19-2013, 03:08 PM

Tip for Garlic Lovers: If you are going to cook garlic in any way, sautee it with olive oil or whatever, after you slice it or dice it, let it sit for a minimum of 10 minutes, i usually do 15, it takes that long for the garlic to release the alicin in it which has all the GOOD stuff and it greatly enhances the flavor.

I do this same thing for a summer salad with tomatoes out of my garden, Common (great minds think alike!) But I use thin strips of red or yellow bell pepper instead of the onions, and I add a goodly amount of coarsely ground black pepper and Chef Paul Prudhomme's Sweet and Spicy blend before marinating in fridge. Yum!

And GREAT tip on the garlic, I will remember that one, thanks!

Common
05-19-2013, 03:14 PM
I know you cant tolerate onions but peppers to me adds a taste that doesnt mix well, thats just my opinion though.
I add spices my self basil, a tad of oregano and a few others.

oceanloverOH
05-19-2013, 03:25 PM
See what I mean? Different taste buds. There must be a study somewhere comparing the difference in how people perceive flavor.

That would actually be an interesting study!

Mister D
05-19-2013, 03:29 PM
I know you cant tolerate onions but peppers to me adds a taste that doesnt mix well, thats just my opinion though.
I add spices my self basil, a tad of oregano and a few others.

I add chilis from time to time. Marinara or meat sauce. Doesn't matter.

Adelaide
05-19-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't normally eat anything containing dairy, but I make an exception for good quality brie. Also, from time to time when I'm feeling gluttonous I order thin-crust pizza with goat cheese and spinach, which is absoutely delicious and addictive.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't normally eat anything containing dairy, but I make an exception for good quality brie. Also, from time to time when I'm feeling gluttonous I order thin-crust pizza with goat cheese and spinach, which is absoutely delicious and addictive.Do you have lactose issues?

Adelaide
05-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Do you have lactose issues?

No, I'm just not a fan of how it makes me feel. Kind of heavy on the stomach.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 06:38 PM
No, I'm just not a fan of how it makes me feel. Kind of heavy on the stomach.I have that feeling if I eat cheese in the morning, but later on I'm fine.

roadmaster
05-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Do you have lactose issues? I do, it's funny, milk no way but cheese doesn't bother me. Never had a problem with milk when I was younger and miss the taste, but now only soy.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 09:59 PM
I do, it's funny, milk no way but cheese doesn't bother me. Never had a problem with milk when I was younger and miss the taste, but now only soy.Be careful with soy milk. Soy milk is one of the highest known sources of phytates which inhibits the uptake of important minerals like zinc, magnesium and calcium. It also contains enzyme inhibitors. Animal research has shown that diets high in trypsin inhibitors are linked to serious pancreatic disorders, including cancer. Soy milk also effectively concentrates the enzyme inhibitors found in the bean. It also contains high levels of phytoestrogens which are proven endocrine disruptors. Have you ever tried Lactaid?

roadmaster
05-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Have you ever tried Lactaid? No but now I think I will. Don't drink much, maybe a glass a month. Thanks.

Dr. Who
05-19-2013, 10:06 PM
No but now I think I will. Don't drink much, maybe a glass a month. Thanks.Glad you're not drinking it on a regular basis.

Peter1469
05-20-2013, 05:15 AM
I would add that fermented soy is fine.

Chris
06-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Buffalo cheese? The Charted Cheese Wheel (http://visual.ly/charted-cheese-wheel)

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Buffalo cheese? The Charted Cheese Wheel (http://visual.ly/charted-cheese-wheel)

Buffalo mozzarella is the best, but rather expensive. It's made from water buffalo milk.

Captain Obvious
06-05-2013, 08:29 PM
There's a dinky little cheese shop in a dinky little town on the Ohio side of the river down here in beautiful Appalachia. They sell mostly beer and lunchmeat, stuff like that but they have a decent cheese selection. My wife stopped in and picked up some smoked swiss. I don't know how they smoke it or where it comes from but it's pretty good.

Dr. Who
06-05-2013, 09:59 PM
There's a dinky little cheese shop in a dinky little town on the Ohio side of the river down here in beautiful Appalachia. They sell mostly beer and lunchmeat, stuff like that but they have a decent cheese selection. My wife stopped in and picked up some smoked swiss. I don't know how they smoke it or where it comes from but it's pretty good.Haven't had smoked swiss, but I have had smoked gouda, and it was quite good. It's nice with a non-smoked meat in a sandwich.

Common
06-06-2013, 11:46 AM
I LOVE CHEESE all kinds of cheese but its bad for ya if you eat too much. My favorite is hard cheesers like
Provolone, Guyiere, Asiago and others of course, guyiere is particularly delicious

BrianDamage
06-06-2013, 12:16 PM

I'm allergic to most fungi, so I stay away from the bluish cheeses.

My favorites are farmer's cheese, asiago, parmesan, mozzarella, swiss, creamy havarti, american, colby, cheddar, etc. :) I guess I really, really like cheese. :laugh:

GrassrootsConservative
06-06-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm allergic to most fungi, so I stay away from the bluish cheeses.

My favorites are farmer's cheese, asiago, parmesan, mozzarella, swiss, creamy havarti, american, colby, cheddar, etc. :) I guess I really, really like cheese. :laugh:

Well done. Some great cheeses there. I love a good asiago bagel in the morning.

BrianDamage
06-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Well done. Some great cheeses there. I love a good asiago bagel in the morning.

I used to love a good asiago bagel. Unfortunately, my BP makes bagels a no-no. :(

Mister D
06-06-2013, 12:42 PM
parmigiano (sometimes parmigiano reggiano) on my pasta. Otherwise, I don't eat much cheese.

Sytha
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM

I love cheese too.

That is, everything but goat cheeses.

Sytha
06-06-2013, 03:59 PM
you'd have loved growing up in my house. my dad has been in the cheese business since i was in high school.

and what is not to love about that!!!!

Peter1469
06-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Goat cheese is good!

Dr. Who
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Goat cheese is good!
I've had good and bad. I really don't care for the ones that actually taste "goaty".

Captain Obvious
06-06-2013, 04:41 PM
spunkloaf is a big goat cheese fan if I remember correctly.

Sytha
06-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Goat cheese is good!

*shivers*

yuck! Its just not my thing. Ive never liked it, but keep trying. So far ive not had anything to change my mind about it. Its nasty!

Captain Obvious
06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
I know one thing, we still have some of this smoked swiss in the fridge and some eggs and green and red peppers.

Sounds like omlette tomorrow morning.

Dr. Who
06-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I know one thing, we still have some of this smoked swiss in the fridge and some eggs and green and red peppers.

Sounds like omlette tomorrow morning.
Sounds good!

Common
06-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Farmers cheese looks similar to goat but much milder.

Mister D
06-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Head cheese, on the other hand, is disgusting.

spunkloaf
06-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Head cheese, on the other hand, is disgusting.

That's because head cheese is a LIE.

Dr. Who
06-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Head cheese, on the other hand, is disgusting. Mostly 'cause its not cheese LOL. My mother loves head cheese, but coming from a farm there are few animal parts that are not consumed. She could never persuade me to eat it.

Chris
06-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Political cheese...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mxVAoejLKmk#at=103

GrassrootsConservative
06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Political cheese...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mxVAoejLKmk#at=103

Our government needs to be stopped.

Manzila
07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
It depend on mood and what i want to eat with.