PDA

View Full Version : Dentists: ‘Mask Mouth’ Can Lead To Strokes, Heart Attacks

Sybil Ludington
11-13-2020, 01:29 PM
One dentist says, “50% of his patients are suffering from negative health issues due to mask-wearing.” No, it’s not just about bad breath. Oral inflammation and excessive bacteria are well-known killers. ⁃ TN Editor

Dentists are warning about the health issues tied to prolonged use of a mask to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

They said dental problems associated with “mask mouth,” including gum disease, could lead to serious complications.

“Gum disease — or periodontal disease — will eventually lead to strokes and an increased risk of heart attacks,” Marc Sclafani, a dentist and co-founder of One Manhattan Dental, told the New York Post (https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/mask-mouth-is-a-seriously-stinky-side-effect-of-wearing-masks/) about “mask mouth,” which is increasingly causing inflammation and gum disease among patients.

Another dentist and co-founder at One Manhattan Dental, Rob Ramondi, said 50% of his patients are suffering from negative health issues due to mask-wearing.

“We’re seeing inflammation in people’s gums that have been healthy forever, and cavities in people who have never had them before,” Ramondi said. “About 50% of our patients are being impacted by this, [so] we decided to name it ‘mask mouth’ — after ‘meth mouth.’”

“Meth mouth” is a term used to describe poor oral hygiene typically associated with chronic meth users.

Article continued:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/mask-mouth-dentists-warn-prolonged-use-of-masks-leading-to-poor-oral-hygiene

carolina73
11-13-2020, 01:47 PM
A doctor or nurse throws his mask away after a maximum of 2 hours if they were trained correctly.

Somewhere the governors are going to have to figure out where to come up with all these masks they want people to wear.

They already do not have the resources and have people running around with ineffective cloth masks that are mind control not virus control. I want a skin colored mask with lips painted on it to drive the Karens crazy when I walk the dog by their houses.

Mister D
11-13-2020, 01:57 PM
I wear mine for an hour at most.

carolina73
11-13-2020, 02:12 PM

These cheap masks smell. A surgeons mask is coated with a anti-bacterial agent.

rcfieldz
11-13-2020, 02:54 PM
This reminds me of when a person goes to pass out and someone has you breath into a brown paper bag. Just after riding my bicycle and then having to wear a mask inside a store makes me a little woozy.

gamewell45
11-13-2020, 03:27 PM
This reminds me of when a person goes to pass out and someone has you breath into a brown paper bag. Just after riding my bicycle and then having to wear a mask inside a store makes me a little woozy.
If you talk to your pulmonologist, he might be able to prescribe a small, portable, cylinder of oxygen you can carry with you so if you become short of breath, you can take a few hits off of it and help you with the woozyness.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2020, 07:22 PM
I have a huge orange one the local sisters of the poor made and donated to the hospital. I'm not doing it right but I wear it until it starts to smell like a wet dog then I wash it, I have a couple of them also.

Masks aren't near 100% effective but their effect is measurable.

Mine's also cloth which isn't optimal, the paper ones with folds in them are, beyond N95's. The paper ones are designed to limit more particle penetration than cloth.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2020, 07:22 PM
Wearing a plastic visor is also a less effective but alternative for people with breathing issues.

John Galt
11-13-2020, 07:25 PM
One dentist says, “50% of his patients are suffering from negative health issues due to mask-wearing.” No, it’s not just about bad breath. Oral inflammation and excessive bacteria are well-known killers. ⁃ TN Editor

Dentists are warning about the health issues tied to prolonged use of a mask to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

They said dental problems associated with “mask mouth,” including gum disease, could lead to serious complications.

“Gum disease — or periodontal disease — will eventually lead to strokes and an increased risk of heart attacks,” Marc Sclafani, a dentist and co-founder of One Manhattan Dental, told the New York Post (https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/mask-mouth-is-a-seriously-stinky-side-effect-of-wearing-masks/) about “mask mouth,” which is increasingly causing inflammation and gum disease among patients.

Another dentist and co-founder at One Manhattan Dental, Rob Ramondi, said 50% of his patients are suffering from negative health issues due to mask-wearing.

“We’re seeing inflammation in people’s gums that have been healthy forever, and cavities in people who have never had them before,” Ramondi said. “About 50% of our patients are being impacted by this, [so] we decided to name it ‘mask mouth’ — after ‘meth mouth.’”

“Meth mouth” is a term used to describe poor oral hygiene typically associated with chronic meth users.

Article continued:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/mask-mouth-dentists-warn-prolonged-use-of-masks-leading-to-poor-oral-hygiene
Utter hogwash. I just went for a cleaning today, 6 months late because I was due in April. I've worn a mask every day when in public or in a customer's house for months. My mouth was fine, and as per usual I was complimented on my oral hygiene. If you have gum disease, you have gum disease whether you wear a mask or not. Masks cannot cause gum disease.

John Galt
11-13-2020, 07:26 PM
Wearing a plastic visor is also a less effective but alternative for people with breathing issues.

Great point. My elder FIL cannot go shopping because he can't breathe with a mask on. I'm going to suggest a shield.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2020, 07:26 PM
Utter hogwash. I just went for a cleaning today, 6 months late because I was due in April. I've worn a mask every day when in public or in a customer's house for months. My mouth was fine, and as per usual I was complimented on my oral hygiene. If you have gum disease, you have gum disease whether you wear a mask or not. Masks cannot cause gum disease.

Yep, clearly this is dangerous mis-information.

No shocker though.

John Galt
11-13-2020, 07:27 PM
I have a huge orange one the local sisters of the poor made and donated to the hospital. I'm not doing it right but I wear it until it starts to smell like a wet dog then I wash it, I have a couple of them also.

Mine's also cloth which isn't optimal, the paper ones with folds in them are, beyond N95's. The paper ones are designed to limit more particle penetration than cloth.
And materials that absorb moisture kill the virus within 24 hours as it dehydrates.

Cletus
11-13-2020, 07:30 PM
And materials that absorb moisture kill the virus within 24 hours as it dehydrates.
Good, then you should stick a sponge in your mouth.

Everyone would be better off.

carolina73
11-13-2020, 09:34 PM

Your actually incorrect but that never stopped you before.

The downside of the mask (without a vent) is that you do not breath out as easily as you breathe in. It is why they also tell you not to wear dust masks N-95 masks around fumes. The fumes actually build up inside the masks. So if you are sanding the floors then wear the mask. If you are using solvents then you are better off without a mask than with one, but you really need an outside air source.

With a mask you are not breathing out the moisture and bacteria that you normally do. That is the entire theory your side is selling about wearing a mask to protect others. To not breath out your nasty ...

Casey Jones
11-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Where's the scientific study that demonstrates this.

And when did we learn that viruses that escape a Level-4 virology lab, are stopped with face diapers that don't even have fitting. I want to see the study that demonstrates THAT.

No, a Narrative, babbled by the suits on the tevee, is not a scientific study.

John Galt
11-13-2020, 10:16 PM

The downside of the mask (without a vent) is that you do not breath out as easily as you breathe in. It is why they also tell you not to wear dust masks N-95 masks around fumes. The fumes actually build up inside the masks. So if you are sanding the floors then wear the mask. If you are using solvents then you are better off without a mask than with one, but you really need an outside air source.

With a mask you are not breathing out the moisture and bacteria that you normally do. That is the entire theory your side is selling about wearing a mask to protect others. To not breath out your nasty ...

Gum disease comes from neglecting your mouth. Wearing a mask for an hour at a time does not cause gum disease. My dentist would have warned me today. His staff wears double masks with face shields all day. If you use mouthwash/floss/brush twice a day, your mask cannot cause gum disease.

John Galt
11-13-2020, 10:17 PM

And when did we learn that viruses that escape a Level-4 virology lab, are stopped with face diapers that don't even have fitting. I want to see the study that demonstrates THAT.

Prove me wrong.

carolina73
11-13-2020, 10:27 PM
Gum disease comes from neglecting your mouth. Wearing a mask for an hour at a time does not cause gum disease. My dentist would have warned me today. His staff wears double masks with face shields all day. If you use mouthwash/floss/brush twice a day, your mask cannot cause gum disease.

I won't disagree that you can offset it and as mentioned before the recommendation is to throw them away before 2 hours, but the mask do prevent you from expelling many things that are not healthy. Germs, bacteria, viruses...

chaidragonfire
11-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Want to keep your mouth clean? Use mouthwash three times a day. Simple as that.

My company gave us masks made out of two layers of 1600 count cotton material. Supposedly this type of woven fabric works just like a paper hospital mask. I still can't breathe through the damned thing, but at least I have a washable mask.

I want to wear a gator or balaclava, because I can actually breathe in it. But reports are 50/50 on whether they work or not.
The one I have is only one layer of fabric. I can wear a mask under it, but then, whats the use? I'm hoping someone comes out with COVID neck gators or balaclava's. They are so much more comfortable, and I don't feel like I'm being suffocated, like with a mask.

John Galt
11-13-2020, 11:02 PM
I won't disagree that you can offset it and as mentioned before the recommendation is to throw them away before 2 hours, but the mask do prevent you from expelling many things that are not healthy. Germs, bacteria, viruses...
We agree, but the claim in the OP is a bit far fetched. I'm sure that 50% of the nation doesn't properly take care of their teeth. Same for regular dental visits. For this group, I would go as far as to say that a mask might accelerate their disease.

The OP attempts to make it seem as if masks give you gum disease. They don't. It could be argued that if you wash with Listerine and put on a mask, it would be better for your mouth than not wearing a mask.

Adelaide
11-13-2020, 11:52 PM
I wonder how many people have much crappier dental hygiene now that they think other people cannot see or smell their mouths?

Fun fact: If dental cleanings were randomly assigned and you didn't know when your appointment would be, you would be more likely to brush and floss properly more of the time. Having scheduled cleanings every 4-6 months is associated with compliance only closer to the actual date as opposed to sustained good dental hygiene over time - and dental hygienists can tell.

Humans are predictable. Fixed interval versus random checks predicts sustained behaviors. Reinforcement behaviors/conditioning - interesting area.

Casey Jones
11-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Prove me wrong.

I had Navy and, later, OSHA training on masks. How to fit; what types to use, and - for managers and owners - what is NOT acceptable.

PUT your face-diaper on, in a body-shop paint booth. See how much protection it offers.

It offers NONE. It doesn't protect against dust, which is larger.

And a century of work on respiratory protection...didn't lead us to face diapers. They led us to elaborate, fitted respiratory equipment with, at the very least, graded, tested, certified filters that had to be replaced periodically.

Not a face diaper.

Look at the rates of infection in mask-mandate and non-mask-mandate states. No statistical difference.

Peter1469
11-13-2020, 11:55 PM
What a stupid comment. Masks that are overused are bacteria farms.

Casey Jones
11-13-2020, 11:59 PM
What a stupid comment. Masks that are overused are bacteria farms.
And the non-fitted, wet-paper face diapers, magically protect against viruses.

Well, that's the level of perception I expect from a Face-Diaper Believer.

Peter1469
11-14-2020, 12:40 AM
And the non-fitted, wet-paper face diapers, magically protect against viruses.

Well, that's the level of perception I expect from a Face-Diaper Believer.
It is amazing how stupid people get when their government tells them to do something.

Abby08
11-14-2020, 01:40 AM
People choose NOW, to trust the government?!

stjames1_53
11-14-2020, 05:29 AM

they are only good for an hour at best. They also trap those bugs inside so all you do is suck them in constantly while you wear it.
I take it you didn't try the flour test.................

Sybil Ludington
11-14-2020, 11:03 AM
I had Navy and, later, OSHA training on masks. How to fit; what types to use, and - for managers and owners - what is NOT acceptable.

PUT your face-diaper on, in a body-shop paint booth. See how much protection it offers.

And a century of work on respiratory protection...didn't lead us to face diapers. They led us to elaborate, fitted respiratory equipment with, at the very least, graded, tested, certified filters that had to be replaced periodically.

Not a face diaper.

Look at the rates of infection in mask-mandate and non-mask-mandate states. No statistical difference.

Don't know why I'm adding info to your comments....when the fools just DON'T want to believe masks don't do a damn thing to protect anyone, and many of those who have bought into the mask propaganda hook-line-and sinker won't believe anything that doesn't come from CNN, but:

https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/consider-the-source-d-c-mayor-exempts-lawmakers-and-government-employees-from-new-mask-mandate-when-are-americans-going-to-learn/
https://www.wnd.com/2020/10/4861690/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=wnd-breaking&utm_campaign=breaking&utm_content=breaking&ats_es=57139bde57e070d7cce67b2f02003c45
https://ise.media/video/new-cdc-study-70-always-3-never-wore-face-masks-contracted-covid-43.html
https://www.dcclothesline.com/2020/09/25/oklahoma-doctors-claim-masks-are-harmful-to-healthy-people-and-file-lawsuit-against-mandates/
https://thinkamericana.com/neurosurgeon-warns-there-could-be-serious-risks-for-healthy-people-wearing-face-masks/
https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/swedens-senior-epidemiologist-warns-wearing-face-masks-is-very-dangerous/
https://newswithviews.com/the-mask-nazis-have-blood-on-their-hands/

https://youtu.be/sRFtVsL9dzE

https://youtu.be/gEtNLW1B29w
https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/public-health-experts-suggest-mask-wearing-is-permanent/
https://redstate.com/scotthounsell/2020/09/10/the-cdc-accidentally-admits-cloth-masks-are-not-effective-n254048

countryboy
11-14-2020, 11:11 AM

I wear mine 24/7. I actually have it super glued to my face.

Mister D
11-14-2020, 11:24 AM
I wonder how many people have much crappier dental hygiene now that they think other people cannot see or smell their mouths?

Fun fact: If dental cleanings were randomly assigned and you didn't know when your appointment would be, you would be more likely to brush and floss properly more of the time. Having scheduled cleanings every 4-6 months is associated with compliance only closer to the actual date as opposed to sustained good dental hygiene over time - and dental hygienists can tell.

Humans are predictable. Fixed interval versus random checks predicts sustained behaviors. Reinforcement behaviors/conditioning - interesting area.

Some of this is genetic. A person with good teeth could go years without a professional cleaning with no significant consequences. There was a period in my early 20s when I didn't go for a long time. No insurance. When I finally went for the first time in years I had no cavities.

Captdon
11-14-2020, 11:25 AM

Article continued:

Brush your teeth.

Captdon
11-14-2020, 11:28 AM

As a metal finisher, I wore a mask for 30 years. We all did. Never heard of any of these health claims. They're bogus.

Captdon
11-14-2020, 11:32 AM

Not a face diaper.

You're wrong. I took training at the University of Pittsburgh for various things including mask. The masks we wore stopped dust and grit and cloth particles and everything else.

You don't want to wear a mask, then don't.

Sybil Ludington
11-14-2020, 11:38 AM
You're wrong. I took training at the University of Pittsburgh for various things including mask. The masks we wore stopped dust and grit and cloth particles and everything else.

You don't want to wear a mask, then don't.

Who cares about dust and grit? GOOD GRIEF. You guys come up with the most lame ass comments.

Sybil Ludington
11-14-2020, 11:44 AM
As a metal finisher, I wore a mask for 30 years. We all did. Never heard of any of these health claims. They're bogus.
In THIRTY years...doctors come up with new info.........DUH!
Was your mask like one of these?
https://listverse.com/2014/05/07/10-utterly-creepy-historical-masks/

carolina73
11-14-2020, 11:45 AM

Not a face diaper.

What people used to do thinking a mask was helping them was out of lack of knowledge. I wonder about the long term effects of paint booths and the solvent based paints we used to use. I know the usually walked out with a paint masks on looking like they just came out of a bar room at 4 am. It wasn't known that that the masks were actually making things worse.

Sybil Ludington
11-14-2020, 11:45 AM
Brush your teeth.

What an ignorant and uneducated comment.

John Galt
11-14-2020, 11:52 AM

I would tend to agree to a point. For those of us with a bit of a higher standard, and for myself, I prefer to pick at my teeth after meals in order to keep my mouth clean. What it does is to make my 6 month cleanings much less painful, as my hygienist consistently tells me that there's not much to clean.

John Galt
11-14-2020, 11:56 AM

Prove me wrong.

Not a face diaper.

Aren't you special? I've been wearing N95 masks for decades for dust, and respirators for spraying finishes. 40 years. Whereas you are correct about proper masks for specific tasks, you seem to have forgotten about calling me a liar re. Covid and absorbent surfaces.

I see nothing in your post that addresses Covid, and absorbent surfaces.

So I challenge you again.

Prove me wrong.

John Galt
11-14-2020, 12:00 PM
Don't know why I'm adding info to your comments....when the fools just DON'T want to believe masks don't do a damn thing to protect anyone, and many of those who have bought into the mask propaganda hook-line-and sinker won't believe anything that doesn't come from CNN, but:

https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/consider-the-source-d-c-mayor-exempts-lawmakers-and-government-employees-from-new-mask-mandate-when-are-americans-going-to-learn/
https://www.wnd.com/2020/10/4861690/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=wnd-breaking&utm_campaign=breaking&utm_content=breaking&ats_es=57139bde57e070d7cce67b2f02003c45
https://ise.media/video/new-cdc-study-70-always-3-never-wore-face-masks-contracted-covid-43.html
https://www.dcclothesline.com/2020/09/25/oklahoma-doctors-claim-masks-are-harmful-to-healthy-people-and-file-lawsuit-against-mandates/
https://thinkamericana.com/neurosurgeon-warns-there-could-be-serious-risks-for-healthy-people-wearing-face-masks/
https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/swedens-senior-epidemiologist-warns-wearing-face-masks-is-very-dangerous/
https://newswithviews.com/the-mask-nazis-have-blood-on-their-hands/

https://youtu.be/sRFtVsL9dzE

https://youtu.be/gEtNLW1B29w
https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/public-health-experts-suggest-mask-wearing-is-permanent/
https://redstate.com/scotthounsell/2020/09/10/the-cdc-accidentally-admits-cloth-masks-are-not-effective-n254048

Whereas I won't waste time on your video, I'm sure that the smoke test will prove that any mask helps with the spread of covid. I can see smoke pouring out from the sides, as opposed to traveling 10 feet or more. Thanks for proving yourself wrong.

But this thread is about gum disease and masks, which is laughable.

Casey Jones
11-14-2020, 02:35 PM
Aren't you special? I've been wearing N95 masks for decades for dust, and respirators for spraying finishes. 40 years. Whereas you are correct about proper masks for specific tasks, you seem to have forgotten about calling me a liar re. Covid and absorbent surfaces.

I see nothing in your post that addresses Covid, and absorbent surfaces.

So I challenge you again.

Prove me wrong.

Dust is larger than viruses.

That's common knowledge.

You deny it at your own cost and credibility.

Captdon
11-14-2020, 09:47 PM
In THIRTY years...doctors come up with new info.........DUH!
Was your mask like one of these?
https://listverse.com/2014/05/07/10-utterly-creepy-historical-masks/

My masks were the same ones surgeons wear.

90% of your posts are lame. You're not very smart.

Captdon
11-14-2020, 09:52 PM

Yea, these people or you.

John Galt
11-14-2020, 09:54 PM
Some of this is genetic. A person with good teeth could go years without a professional cleaning with no significant consequences. There was a period in my early 20s when I didn't go for a long time. No insurance. When I finally went for the first time in years I had no cavities.
That's typical for young people, but the enemy is gum disease.

John Galt
11-14-2020, 09:58 PM
Dust is larger than viruses.

That's common knowledge.

You deny it at your own cost and credibility.

By now you must have Googled Covid and porous surfaces. Because you've backed away from that discussion altogether.

I need no counseling about anything related to masks, as I've already told you.

But thanks for your concern.

No...really.

Captdon
11-14-2020, 10:03 PM

I know. It's your go to thinking.

https://www.umms.org/coronavirus/what-to-know/masks/wearing-mask#:~:text=Some%20people%20have%20suggested%20th at,your%20nose%20and%20mouth.

carolina73
11-14-2020, 10:19 PM

Ignorance is not an excuse. I can put a black finish on material. It's black because it does not reflect light. It does not reflect light because there are no scratches large enough to deflect light. It is beyond a mirror finish. I think I know more about this than you. These surfaces are used to produce mirror finishes.