PDA

View Full Version : Anti Putin Demonstrations Continue

Conley
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
MOSCOW — Russian authorities acted decisively to quash a second day of anti-government protests on Tuesday, flooding the appointed site with throngs of pro-government activists who banged on drums to drown out the chants of “Russia without Putin" and "Down with Putin".

Several hundred opposition protesters convened in a central square, hoping to maintain the momentum created on Monday, when as many as 5,000 protested over reports of alleged fraud (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/world/europe/russian-parliamentary-elections-criticized-by-west.html) in parliamentary elections. The crowd that formed Tuesday, however, was rapidly choked off by lines of riot police, who dragged many protesters onto buses.

Police officials told the Interfax news service that 250 people had been detained, slightly fewer than the 300 who were detained Monday.Authorities also made an example of two of the leaders of the Monday protest — the blogger and anticorruption crusader, Aleksei Navalny (http://navalny.livejournal.com/), and a liberal activist, Ilya Yashin. Both men were sentenced to 15 days in prison for disobeying police orders.

Some protesters camped out on the street in hopes of glimpsing Mr. Navalny, sharing cold cuts and thermoses of sugary tea and a mood that was almost giddy after Monday’s large turnout.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/world/europe/jailing-opposition-leaders-russia-moves-to-quell-election-protests.html

Looks like they are using the military to break things up as well. They were already deployed around the area for the elections. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Mister D
12-06-2011, 03:01 PM
The crowd that formed Tuesday, however, was rapidly choked off by lines of riot police, who dragged many protesters onto buses.

And these OWS bitches speak of brutality? This isn't even brutality.

Conley
12-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, those kids from UC Davis wouldn't have lasted long in Russia.

Once the protesters end up in custody is probably where the real fun begins. I would not want to be held by the Russian police or whatever military forces Putin is using. I'd keep my mouth shut and my head down. I may be a puss but I choose life.

Mister D
12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah, those kids from UC Davis wouldn't have lasted long in Russia.

Once the protesters end up in custody is probably where the real fun begins. I would not want to be held by the Russian police or whatever military forces Putin is using. I'd keep my mouth shut and my head down. I may be a puss but I choose life.

That's the smart thing to do. It's the same thign I do with cops here. Not that I get pulled over more than once every few years but when I do I just take it. I'm not going to win so what's the point of arguing let alone fighting?

Conley
12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
That's the smart thing to do. It's the same thign I do with cops here. Not that I get pulled over more than once every few years but when I do I just take it. I'm not going to win so what's the point of arguing let alone fighting?

Right. I'm always quiet and courteous with law enforcement. Not only because I respect them for the job they do but also because that seems like the action most likely to lead to a positive outcome. Fighting the system only works in the movies. IMO if you're ever going to see real change it's going to have to come from within the system. That's assuming the lack of a critical mass required for revolution of course.

Mister D
12-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Agreed.

I even do that when I'm pissed off and think they guy is a meathead.

Conley
12-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah, most of the time they're morons but what can you do? :grin:

Mister D
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM

Exactly. You can't really do anything at least not right there and then.

MMC
12-06-2011, 09:25 PM

I thought those Californians came up with the Idea of..... Community Resistance In Progress. :grin: