PDA

View Full Version : Need some Ideas

Common
05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Pasta Salad, I have tried several recipes and several different dressings and I just cant get it right. I need some suggestions. Let me tell you what I have done.

I use Whole Wheat pasta or the vegetable pasta, I dice onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and artichoke hearts. I cant use peppers my wife cant eat raw peppers. I put in sliced olives.
Ive used various jarred light italian dressings. Ive used olive oil and balsamic vinegar and subbed the balsamic for red wine vinegar. Added my own spices and shredded cheeses.
Ive done various combinations and it just hasnt come out where we looked at each other and said Ok this is the one. So what do you guys do and put in yours and use for dressing.

Peter1469
05-29-2013, 08:18 PM
I make my dressing with dry Italian spices mixes with olive oil and vinegar- typically balsamic.

oceanloverOH
05-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Pasta Salad, I have tried several recipes and several different dressings and I just cant get it right. I need some suggestions. Let me tell you what I have done.

I use Whole Wheat pasta or the vegetable pasta, I dice onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and artichoke hearts. I cant use peppers my wife cant eat raw peppers. I put in sliced olives.
Ive used various jarred light italian dressings. Ive used olive oil and balsamic vinegar and subbed the balsamic for red wine vinegar. Added my own spices and shredded cheeses.
Ive done various combinations and it just hasnt come out where we looked at each other and said Ok this is the one. So what do you guys do and put in yours and use for dressing.
Common, here's my own pasta salad recipe (you can of course modify, i.e. leave out the bell pepper)....it's more of a creamy pasta salad vs. a vinegar/oil pasta salad though.

Ocean's Homemade Pasta Salad

½ box Dreamfields Rotini pasta
½ cup mayo
½ packet (about 1½ Tbsp) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp paprika
½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 packet Splenda
¼ cup milk
1/3 bag frozen green peas
1/3 cup fresh shredded carrot
2 Tbsp thinly sliced celery (about 2½ 4-inch celery sticks)
2 Tbsp finely chopped red or green bell pepper
1 2-oz can sliced black olives, drained
1½ - 2 Tbsp imitation bacon bits (don't get soggy like real bacon)

Cook rotini per package directions, about 9 minutes, drain in colander, rinse with cold water, drain again until pasta is cool.

Mix dressing: in very large bowl, add mayonnaise, ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper, parsley and Splenda. Stir in milk and mix well. Add cooled drained pasta on top but don't mix yet.

Place peas and carrots in small covered microwaveable dish. Add 1/3 cup water, cover, and microwave for 5 min. Drain in same colander, rinse with cold water, drain again until vegetables are cool.

Add vegetables and bacon bits to pasta and dressing. Mix all together gently, but very thoroughly.

Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and refrigerate for at least an hour before eating. Refrigerate leftovers. Serves about 4.

Captain Obvious
05-29-2013, 08:19 PM
You're trying too hard.

Common
05-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Ahh celery and shredded carrots thats two things I forgot ok great thanks. We are trying to avoid fats for my wife thats why were into pasta salad for summer instead of patato and the mayo based pasta salads.
I could sub the mayo for the lite olive oil mayo and the milk with almond milk or soy I guess. Im thinkin as im writing :) thank you my dear OceanLady :)

oceanloverOH
05-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Ahh celery and shredded carrots thats two things I forgot ok great thanks. We are trying to avoid fats for my wife thats why were into pasta salad for summer instead of patato and the mayo based pasta salads.
I could sub the mayo for the lite olive oil mayo and the milk with almond milk or soy I guess. Im thinkin as im writing :) thank you my dear OceanLady :)

Always welcome! Let me know how it turns out...........:cheers:

P.S. One thing my sister puts in her oil-based pasta salad that she swears by is a handfull of dried cranberries/craisins (I can't have 'em; too much sugar, but you might like to try that for an interesting touch of sweetness).

Captain Obvious
05-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Shred a head of cabbage, add oil and vinegar, slice up some pepporccini's (sp?) and MSG (Accent) and you're fine.

Common
05-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Shred a head of cabbage, add oil and vinegar, slice up some pepporccini's (sp?) and MSG (Accent) and you're fine.

I loves cole slaw and thats a different variation of it.

Common
05-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Always welcome! Let me know how it turns out...........:cheers:

P.S. One thing my sister puts in her oil-based pasta salad that she swears by is a handfull of dried cranberries/craisins (I can't have 'em; too much sugar, but you might like to try that for an interesting touch of sweetness).

I like both of those my wife doesnt. I also like to put almonds in salad and again she doesnt. The womans a real problem :)

oceanloverOH
05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Another good summer salad:

Broccoli Slaw

¾ cup Kraft mayo
2 tsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp Splenda brown sugar blend
Salt and pepper to taste
½ tsp celery seed
1 12-oz bag broccoli slaw veggie mix (found near bagged mixed salads at the grocery)
2 Tbsp finely chopped red or green bell pepper
Paprika for garnish

Blend together the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Add bag of broccoli slaw mix and chopped bell pepper. Gently toss until coated; garnish top lightly with paprika. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Mister D
05-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Broccoli Slaw is very good for you. I drizzle some good oil and salt on it. That's it. Super simple.

Common
05-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Broccoli Slaw is very good for you. I drizzle some good oil and salt on it. That's it. Super simple.

Im not much for chain restaurants but near my house we have a ruby tuesdays that has a salad bar, thats great for Lunch its all salad and veggies and they have a broccoli with a dressing thats incredibly good.

Sytha
05-29-2013, 09:43 PM

pasta salad can be anything you like to eat. There are many flavor profiles you can follow to get what you are looking for.

if you are trying to cut back on fats/mayo... i would suggest investing in a very good extra virgin olive oil..... more flavor for the punch. What you are basically doing is putting salad dressing pasta. Fresh lemon juice for the acid is a bright flavor. Adding in fresh chopped garlic and an YES an anchovies... are very good. Just whirl everything around in a food processor to make it disappear and all you will be left with is flavor.

I love fresh tomatoes, fresh chopped basil, fresh mozzarella in bits.... salt, pepper and oil. If you want it heated up.. put some crushed rep pepper flakes.

again in the food processor... a mix of your favorite olives all chopped up then add some diced red and green onion and tomatoes and olive oil salt and pepper..... punch it up with some Italian seasoning.

if you like mushrooms.... slice some up..use fresh or saute them... get yourself some white truffle oil and drizzle a bit on.

do you know how to make hot bacon dressing for wilted spinach salad..... make a bunch of that... with the spinach of course.... and then toss that into pasta.... yummy...

omg... the list could go on and on and on.......

Common
05-29-2013, 10:01 PM
pasta salad can be anything you like to eat. There are many flavor profiles you can follow to get what you are looking for.

if you are trying to cut back on fats/mayo... i would suggest investing in a very good extra virgin olive oil..... more flavor for the punch. What you are basically doing is putting salad dressing pasta. Fresh lemon juice for the acid is a bright flavor. Adding in fresh chopped garlic and an YES an anchovies... are very good. Just whirl everything around in a food processor to make it disappear and all you will be left with is flavor.

I love fresh tomatoes, fresh chopped basil, fresh mozzarella in bits.... salt, pepper and oil. If you want it heated up.. put some crushed rep pepper flakes.

again in the food processor... a mix of your favorite olives all chopped up then add some diced red and green onion and tomatoes and olive oil salt and pepper..... punch it up with some Italian seasoning.

if you like mushrooms.... slice some up..use fresh or saute them... get yourself some white truffle oil and drizzle a bit on.

do you know how to make hot bacon dressing for wilted spinach salad..... make a bunch of that... with the spinach of course.... and then toss that into pasta.... yummy...

omg... the list could go on and on and on.......

All GOOD STUFF sytha but im fighting an uphill battle with my wife, she has a genetic disposition to make cholesterol. Her Dad who was in great shape and played semi pro baseball died at 52.
My wife has high cholesterol but to make it worse she cant take cholesterol meds it knots her muscles so bad she cant walk and the pain is horrible. So we do what we have to do to try and keep it down. I wont sit there and eat all the good stuff in front of her my cholesterol is low. So I eat what she eats and I try to pizazz it up as much as I can. I do add some stuff to mine after wards like cheese etc. Bacon she cant eat and she LOVES IT so I skip eating it for her.
I have extra virgin olive oil and its not cheap. You have given me some ideas though thanks :)

Sytha
05-29-2013, 11:26 PM
All GOOD STUFF sytha but im fighting an uphill battle with my wife, she has a genetic disposition to make cholesterol. Her Dad who was in great shape and played semi pro baseball died at 52.
My wife has high cholesterol but to make it worse she cant take cholesterol meds it knots her muscles so bad she cant walk and the pain is horrible. So we do what we have to do to try and keep it down. I wont sit there and eat all the good stuff in front of her my cholesterol is low. So I eat what she eats and I try to pizazz it up as much as I can. I do add some stuff to mine after wards like cheese etc. Bacon she cant eat and she LOVES IT so I skip eating it for her.
I have extra virgin olive oil and its not cheap. You have given me some ideas though thanks :)

ok... first couple of questions if you dont mind my asking.

What is her number? Is she taking omega3 fish oil every day? Does she eat oatmeal every day? Is she on a good diet and exercise plan?

i will assume you have been over this with your doc... but i will ask anyway... has she had her potassium levels checked for the cramping?

ok...enough of the medical....and on to the food!!!

instead of bacon....use a few drops of liquid smoke. And i mean a very few drops in with the extra virgin olive as its carrier...... The idea is more flavor with less oil! The same would work with sesame oil or chili oil. Make your own garlic oil and basil oil. Simmer SLOWLY some garlic in the extra virgin oil until golden.... do NOT let it burn. Same thing with fresh basil.... store both in the fridge.

You can make "pasta" out of zucchini... peel it... and then keep peeling it to make nice long thin pieces.... blanch them off and you have zucchini pasta. You can also use that same technique with cucumbers for a fresh "pasta" base just dont blanch it.

now.... ssshhhh.... dont tell her! Make her a pavlova and she will love you forever!!! Its very very low in cholesterol!
http://mamakim8.hubpages.com/hub/Pavlova-recipe

roadmaster
05-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Mine is genetic too. Had to change the way I eat and exercise more. Yes, I too am on meds but even after eating salads (which I love) and keeping to a stick diet it still didn't help. Speed walking, as if I don't walk enough, helped bring it down. My parents both died of massive heart attacks so I do have to watch it.

Common
05-30-2013, 07:58 AM
ok... first couple of questions if you dont mind my asking.

What is her number? Is she taking omega3 fish oil every day? Does she eat oatmeal every day? Is she on a good diet and exercise plan?

i will assume you have been over this with your doc... but i will ask anyway... has she had her potassium levels checked for the cramping?

ok...enough of the medical....and on to the food!!!

instead of bacon....use a few drops of liquid smoke. And i mean a very few drops in with the extra virgin olive as its carrier...... The idea is more flavor with less oil! The same would work with sesame oil or chili oil. Make your own garlic oil and basil oil. Simmer SLOWLY some garlic in the extra virgin oil until golden.... do NOT let it burn. Same thing with fresh basil.... store both in the fridge.

You can make "pasta" out of zucchini... peel it... and then keep peeling it to make nice long thin pieces.... blanch them off and you have zucchini pasta. You can also use that same technique with cucumbers for a fresh "pasta" base just dont blanch it.

now.... ssshhhh.... dont tell her! Make her a pavlova and she will love you forever!!! Its very very low in cholesterol!
http://mamakim8.hubpages.com/hub/Pavlova-recipe

We have both been eating Oatmeal, Cheerios or Post shredded wheat with bran every morning for years. I put blueberries and cinamon in my oatmeal and cinnamon and bananas on my cereal. We drink Almond or soy milk. We both take Krill Oil twice a day morning and evening. That is why mine cholesterol is so low 155 and hers remains high fluctuates between 240s and 270s and thats with attempts to contain it.

Some of the food tips you gave me I use most are new to me and much appreciated, I have always used garlic oil, I need to use liquid smoke, its in many chef recipes also. I have made squash spaghetti more than a few times when in season. Spaghetti squash :) I like it she does not :( My wife can be picky, she is hypo or is it hyper glycemic, low blood sugar so she has to eat often or she gets dizzy and eventually would pass out. She is not overweight to any degree, she was always very fit menapause had put a few lbs on her she is 64.
I worry about her and keep her on the straight, all the plans is to leave her in a good place when im gone not the other way around I am not prepared for that one bit.

Common
05-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Mine is genetic too. Had to change the way I eat and exercise more. Yes, I too am on meds but even after eating salads (which I love) and keeping to a stick diet it still didn't help. Speed walking, as if I don't walk enough, helped bring it down. My parents both died of massive heart attacks so I do have to watch it.

Sounds like you and my wife are in the same boat :(

Micketto
05-30-2013, 09:50 AM
I use Whole Wheat pasta or the vegetable pasta

That's where you screw up.
The taste of the wheat, and especially the vegetable pasta, is going to need a lot of covering up.

Pasta salad isn't going to be healthy AND good. You have to make a choice.
And the 2 pastas you mention aren't that much healthier anyway.

The pasta is just there for body. To take on the flavors of the other ingredients and buffer them. Not to add it's own flavor.

I don't eat the stuff because I have never found one I actually like. But you seem to add a whole lot of stuff, that doesn't necessarily go well together.

Just an opinion, of course.

oceanloverOH
05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
That's where you screw up.
The taste of the wheat, and especially the vegetable pasta, is going to need a lot of covering up.

Pasta salad isn't going to be healthy AND good. You have to make a choice.
And the 2 pastas you mention aren't that much healthier anyway.

The pasta is just there for body. To take on the flavors of the other ingredients and buffer them. Not to add it's own flavor.

I don't eat the stuff because I have never found one I actually like. But you seem to add a whole lot of stuff, that doesn't necessarily go well together.

Just an opinion, of course.

Wheat pasta.........YUCK! I'm not sure if this product will help with cholesterol or not; but as a diabetic, I use Dreamfields pasta. With it, I can eat a normal serving of pasta salad, or pasta and sauce, or lasagna and it won't spike my blood sugar. It is available in several different forms and I truly cannot tell the difference in taste or texture between Dreamfields and normal commercially available pasta products. It's a wonderful product for diabetics.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/low-carb-pasta.html

roadmaster
05-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Wheat pasta.........YUCK! I used it one night and didn't tell anyone and no one could tell the difference.:laugh: Now I buy it.

roadmaster
05-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you and my wife are in the same boat :( Pretty much, I was born with an irregular heat beat or MVP. Mine stated really messing up in my late 30s,( was passing out about once a year) then it turned into not being able to walk far without feeling like I had ran a mile, went on heart meds, three years ago started having problems with cholesterol. Before then everything was fine. With it running on both sides and 6 uncles also had major heat attacks that resulted in death and my dad, yep it's a problem.

Dr. Who
05-30-2013, 05:55 PM
I could sub the mayo for the lite olive oil mayo and the milk with almond milk or soy I guess. Im thinkin as im writing :) thank you my dear OceanLady :)Just an FYI, you can use alter regular recipes by substituting half of the mayo with plain yogurt (even greek) and using low fat mayo for the other half.