PDA

View Full Version : This is why I never even talk to people at gun ranges anymore.

OGIS
12-23-2020, 09:21 AM
Police: Man firing at 2nd man at gun range killed by 3rd man (https://apnews.com/article/pennsylvania-shootings-police-erie-a1c4c703027a55ee0c27278fe86482fd?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark)Some idiot was probably wearing a MAGAt hat. And some other idiot probably baited him. Drugs or alcohol might have been involved.

My rule at gun ranges has always been the same as at bars: never discuss politics or religion. But it's gotten so bad with all the crazies in the last few years that I never talk to anyone about anything at ranges anymore. I just go in, do my business, and leave.

Davis
12-23-2020, 09:22 AM
I've been told repeatedly that liberals don't own guns.

midcan5
12-23-2020, 09:36 AM
That is crazy. I gotta get back to a range to see if I can still make expert.

OGIS
12-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Wishful thinking.

I didn't, for several decades. We had a new, precocious, inquisitive, and headstrong child in the household, and a few years later another one. I came to the conclusion that the measures required to keep the guns safe around the kids obviated the main reason for having them (the guns, not the kids) around: home defense. If I had to take the time to retrieve a weapon from the gun safe and, it was probably going to be useless against an intruder. So we opted for a big, insanely protective (and very quiet) dog, instead.

But I re-armed several years ago, after the kids were grown past the "Oh cool, a gun" phase. So have a lot of thoughtful liberals. We just don't treat guns like substitute penises, boast about them at the drop of a hat, and strut around with them on display.

If it comes to a boogaloo CW2? You got 25 weapons and enough firepower to kill a regiment, son? That's fine. But unless you're an Intergalactic Bounty Hunter like Hulk Hogan's character in that kid's movie, you can only use one of them at a time. And while you are strutting around with it, I'll be sitting off somewhere getting a bead on you. And then I'll have all your stuff.

countryboy
12-23-2020, 09:47 AM
Police: Man firing at 2nd man at gun range killed by 3rd man (https://apnews.com/article/pennsylvania-shootings-police-erie-a1c4c703027a55ee0c27278fe86482fd?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark)Some idiot was probably wearing a MAGAt hat. And some other idiot probably baited him. Drugs or alcohol might have been involved.

My rule at gun ranges has always been the same as at bars: never discuss politics or religion. But it's gotten so bad with all the crazies in the last few years that I never talk to anyone about anything at ranges anymore. I just go in, do my business, and leave.

As of you've ever been to a gun range.

Calypso Jones
12-23-2020, 10:24 AM
Your article doesn't state what you say it states. In fact it says, no charges have been placed at this time so everything you've said is suspect. But i SUSPECT you know that don't you troll.

OGIS
12-23-2020, 10:24 AM
As of you've ever been to a gun range.

The amount of mind reading and silly assumptions on this forum is truly astounding.

All the "conservatives" seem to be disguised superheroes from the planet Mentat.

Paging Dr. Fate. Dr. Fate to the white courtesy telephone, please.

Abby08
12-23-2020, 10:28 AM
You're making a lot of assumptions yourself here.

"Probably wearing a MAGA hat, drugs or alcohol might have been involved ".

countryboy
12-23-2020, 10:29 AM
The amount of mind reading and silly assumptions on this forum is truly astounding.

All the "conservatives" seem to be disguised superheroes from the planet Mentat.

Paging Dr. Fate. Dr. Fate to the white courtesy telephone, please.

We don't have to read your mind, only your posts. Libs are liars.

OGIS
12-23-2020, 10:32 AM
Your article doesn't state what you say it states. In fact it says, no charges have been placed at this time so everything you've said is suspect. But i SUSPECT you know that don't you troll.
{Sigh.} What did I say the article states?

What I SAID was: "Some idiot was probably wearing a MAGAt hat. And some other idiot probably baited him. Drugs or alcohol might have been involved."

Those three sentences are not meant to be interpreted as factual statements. They are opinions.

English 101; how does it work?

Your apparent constant rage might be blinding you to rational discourse.

Chris
12-23-2020, 10:33 AM
The amount of mind reading and silly assumptions on this forum is truly astounding...

Good example:

All made up nonsense.

And, no, even "probably" is made up nonesense.

Calypso Jones
12-23-2020, 10:35 AM
{Sigh.} What did I say the article states?

What I SAID was: "Some idiot was probably wearing a MAGAt hat. And some other idiot probably baited him. Drugs or alcohol might have been involved."

Those three sentences are not meant to be interpreted as factual statements. They are opinions.

English 101; how does it work?

Your apparent constant rage might be blinding you to rational discourse.

satan and leftists always pepper their lies with a smidge of truth.

Don't pull that 'what i said was...'' crap. Do you think people are so stupid they don't see your little tricks?

OGIS
12-23-2020, 10:36 AM

Indeed. And I am labeling them as such. That's what those words ("probably"; "might") indicate.

Calypso Jones
12-23-2020, 10:46 AM
Indeed. And I am labeling them as such. That's what those words ("probably"; "might") indicate.

LOLOL good try there Jack.

do you pull this crap on your wife? LOLOL

Crepitus
12-23-2020, 10:46 AM

I'm with ya.
I tend to go in off hours, or go out to the family spread.

Crepitus
12-23-2020, 10:49 AM

That's what the word "probably" is for. To indicate speculation. It's not like his trying to pass it off as a proven fact.

He's not a tRumpling for bog's sake.

Crepitus
12-23-2020, 10:50 AM

Don't pull that 'what i said was...'' crap. Do you think people are so stupid they don't see your little tricks?

Abby08
12-23-2020, 10:53 AM

You were making assumptions, same as you were accusing others of doing.

Collateral Damage
12-23-2020, 11:25 AM

In the real world, that falls under baiting.

Trolls will troll.

CaveDog
12-23-2020, 11:28 AM
I've known plenty who do. I can recall democraticunderground having a gun subforum. Some people just make assumptions.

Captain Obvious
12-23-2020, 11:40 AM
The gun range near me is outdoors and the ranges are pretty spaced apart.

Having said that I might go up on Christmas and run some high velocity .22 through the S&W that hasn't been broken in yet. Supposed to be sunny and warm.

Chris
12-23-2020, 11:47 AM
I've known plenty who do. I can recall democraticunderground having a gun subforum. Some people just make assumptions.

Of course Dems own guns. That is why gun control is such a difficult issue for Congress to make any changes and set restrictions. Gun control advocates thus turn to cities to enact restrictions or SCOTUS to write new law.

carolina73
12-23-2020, 11:57 AM
I grew up in New England which is a bastion of liberalism and there were plenty of guns. Criminals also do not consider themselves to be conservatives, whether you want to look at numerous surveys or just use basic reasoning.

Bernie Sanders has stood weak against gun control because he knows his almost pure liberal state has a gun in most homes.

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 12:45 PM

Most of them don't. They can run from you faster without the extra weight.:)

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 12:48 PM
The gun range near me is outdoors and the ranges are pretty spaced apart.

Having said that I might go up on Christmas and run some high velocity .22 through the S&W that hasn't been broken in yet. Supposed to be sunny and warm.

22 caliber is fun. It bounces around more once it enters the skull.

What's not to like about that ? :grin:

Captain Obvious
12-23-2020, 12:53 PM

Right, it's a CC gun actually - for that reason.

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 01:18 PM
Right, it's a CC gun actually - for that reason.
Cool. I'll say this much. I'd rather be the bouncer than the bouncee :)

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Police: Man firing at 2nd man at gun range killed by 3rd man (https://apnews.com/article/pennsylvania-shootings-police-erie-a1c4c703027a55ee0c27278fe86482fd?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark)

Some idiot was probably wearing a MAGAt hat. And some other idiot probably baited him. Drugs or alcohol might have been involved.

In your case I'd expand the "no talk"thing to everywhere you go :grin:

Merry Christmas to you and yours, masked man :)

Davis
12-23-2020, 01:23 PM

Not all of them, just the special ones.

Tahuyaman
12-23-2020, 01:30 PM
Police: Man firing at 2nd man at gun range killed by 3rd man (https://apnews.com/article/pennsylvania-shootings-police-erie-a1c4c703027a55ee0c27278fe86482fd?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark)

Some idiot was probably wearing a MAGAt hat. And some other idiot probably baited him. Drugs or alcohol might have been involved.

As usual. Poison the well in the first sentence.

Tahuyaman
12-23-2020, 01:32 PM

Plus the ammunition is inexpensive.

Standing Wolf
12-23-2020, 01:32 PM

I think the last time I looked up the stats, something like a third of all "liberal" households had at least one firearm.

Davis
12-23-2020, 01:33 PM
Most of them don't. They can run from you faster without the extra weight.:)

Thanks for sharing, porkroast.
I bet you have a lot experience with people running away from you.

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 01:34 PM
I think the last time I looked up the stats, something like a third of all "liberal" households had at least one firearm.

Interesting. Last I checked 1/3rd of all Alligator hunters only had one arm :)

Captain Obvious
12-23-2020, 01:34 PM

Not counting firearms illegally obtained, right?

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Thanks for sharing, porkroast.
I bet you have a lot experience with people running away from you.

Awwww lookie. It's Davis. You being a good boi today? :baby::baby::baby:

Davis
12-23-2020, 01:39 PM
Not counting firearms illegally obtained, right?

I had a boatload of them.

Tahuyaman
12-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Where are these stats located? What was the methodology used in developing these stats?

Tahuyaman
12-23-2020, 01:42 PM
For some reason you’ve gotten under del’s skin today.

Davis
12-23-2020, 01:47 PM

Try harder, gimp.

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 01:53 PM
Try harder, gimp.
Ok, Gump

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 01:54 PM
For some reason you’ve gotten under del’s skin today.

He is just cranky because his balls dropped and they can't get up ...

Cletus
12-23-2020, 02:51 PM

With your attitude, that is probably best.

I am on a range at least a day a week most weeks. Most of the time, I am training shooters. Most of the time, it is defensive handgun, but there are also times when I work with shotgun, patrol rifle and precision rifle. I don't think a week goes by that someone not directly involved with what I am doling doesn't strike up a conversation. Shooters like to compare guns, talk about optics, seek advice and training tips from each other... just generally shoot the breeze with people of common interests. Serious shooters very often will stop what they are doing to help less experienced shooters. I was shooting a couple of weeks ago with one of the best rifle instructors in the country and there was a guy on the range who was fumbling around trying to zero a new scope without much luck, so I asked Dan to give the guy a hand and he stopped what he was doing and spent some time working with this inexperienced shooter to get him on target.

It happens with me all the time. I'll have shooters come over and say "You're ____________ aren't you? Have you got a minute?" and we end up figuring out a problem he is having or looking at his guns or just shooting the breeze.

By not talking to other shooters, you are not only missing out on meeting some really good people, you are also missing out on opportunities to become a better shooter (which I suspect you could really use).

Of course, your attitude is something you couldn't keep hidden for long. As soon as you opened your mouth you would manage to put your foot in it.

Cotton1
12-23-2020, 04:14 PM
Not all of them, just the special ones.

That's tellin' em, "Special" Ed !

donttread
12-23-2020, 04:37 PM

Pick up a drink put down the gun works as a rule to.

jet57
12-23-2020, 04:39 PM

Just another day of stupid people with guns.

Common Sense
12-23-2020, 04:45 PM
When people try to talk to me at the range, I just point at my muffs and say "yeah. Sorry, I can't hear you!".

Cletus
12-23-2020, 04:46 PM
When people try to talk to me at the range, I just point at my muffs and say "yeah. Sorry, I can't hear you!".

No surprise there.

stephenpe
01-04-2021, 01:14 PM
Yeah my brother and I have no guns...........lmao

Cletus
01-04-2021, 02:08 PM
I spent several hours on the range yesterday. There weren't many people there other than myself and my students. During the time I was there only 3 other people showed up. I knew one of them. He is a rifle instructor at Whittington Center. He only came out to check range conditions because of the snow. The other two were guys I did not know. They came over and introduced themselves, asked about defensive pistol classes, talked a little about technique (neither of them knew as much about the subject as they thought they did), and it was overall a positive experience.

I know that some of you who live in the hive only have ranges where your activities are monitored so closely that it must be kind of an oppressive experience for you to go to the range, although maybe not if you have never known any better. Here though, I would be leery of someone on the range who did not introduce himself and strike up at least some kind of conversation.

Tahuyaman
01-04-2021, 02:21 PM
Yeah my brother and I have no guns...........lmao
Ok. Who cares?

Tahuyaman
01-04-2021, 02:33 PM
I spent several hours on the range yesterday. There weren't many people there other than myself and my students. During the time I was there only 3 other people showed up. I knew one of them. He is a rifle instructor at Whittington Center. He only came out to check range conditions because of the snow. The other two were guys I did not know. They came over and introduced themselves, asked about defensive pistol classes, talked a little about technique (neither of them knew as much about the subject as they thought they did), and it was overall a positive experience.

I know that some of you who live in the hive only have ranges where your activities are monitored so closely that it must be kind of an oppressive experience for you to go to the range, although maybe not if you have never known any better. Here though, I would be leery of someone on the range who did not introduce himself and strike up at least some kind of conversation.

I usually go to an abandoned gravel pit where the state designated it as a firing range. Mid week it’s generally lightly used. Every time I’ve been there and other people were shooting, we introduce ourselves and often fire each other’s rifles or pistols.

There’s a range near me open to the public for a $15.00 daily fee. Depending the range master on any given day, it can be like Army basic training. Generally everyone strikes up a conversation with each other. I too would be leery of some guy who was standoffish.

Abby08
01-04-2021, 03:12 PM

Which range do you use, the one out on Paseo Del Volcan?

Edit......I think that's the name of the road.

Edit.....wait.....You're not actually in Albuquerque?

slackercruster
01-04-2021, 03:17 PM
Good policy OP...I like to go on cold days in the winter when no one around.

Cletus
01-04-2021, 07:57 PM
I usually go to an abandoned gravel pit where the state designated it as a firing range. Mid week it’s generally lightly used. Every time I’ve been there and other people were shooting, we introduce ourselves and often fire each other’s rifles or pistols.

See... that is the way it should be. It makes for a positive experience for everybody. I see that sort of thing all the time. Yesterday, one of the guys on the range (not my student) was talking about how he couldn't get his AR15 zeroed. I got behind the gun, was on the X in 3 after 2 adjustments, then fired 3 more for confirmation. The guy was happy and grateful, and come Spring, I will probably have a new Patrol Rifle student. Even if I never see him again, he got a good zero on his rifle and I got the satisfaction of being able to help out another shooter. I figure that is a win, win outcome.

There’s a range near me open to the public for a $15.00 daily fee. Depending the range master on any given day, it can be like Army basic training. Generally everyone strikes up a conversation with each other. I too would be leery of some guy who was standoffish.

I generally like the atmosphere. Shooters mostly tend to be good folks. I think I would have a hard time on a commercial range with a Range Master or RSO who struts back and forth, barking commands like a Drill Sergeant.

Cletus
01-04-2021, 08:02 PM
Which range do you use, the one out on Paseo Del Volcan?

Edit......I think that's the name of the road.

Edit.....wait.....You're not actually in Albuquerque?

No, I am way North. I try real hard to avoid Albuquerque. Too many people. Too many cars. I haven't even been to Albuquerque in probably 8 or 9 years. I might make it to Santa Fe 3 or 4 times a year, but usually after a couple of hours, I am ready to get out of town.

Tahuyaman
01-04-2021, 08:11 PM
....I generally like the atmosphere. Shooters mostly tend to be good folks. I think I would have a hard time on a commercial range with a Range Master or RSO who struts back and forth, barking commands like a Drill Sergeant.

At the range I’m referring to there’s one particular range master who’s extremely over zealous and does act like a drill sergeant. If he’s there, I’ll go later.

Abby08
01-04-2021, 08:11 PM
No, I am way North. I try real hard to avoid Albuquerque. Too many people. Too many cars. I haven't even been to Albuquerque in probably 8 or 9 years. I might make it to Santa Fe 3 or 4 times a year, but usually after a couple of hours, I am ready to get out of town.

Same here. We only went once every 2-3 months, to restock our suppliers, Costco, usually.

Way too crowded for my taste.

Tahuyaman
01-04-2021, 08:13 PM
...I haven't even been to Albuquerque in probably 8 or 9 years....

I was visiting Santa Fe a couple of years ago. We took the train to Albuquerque for a day trip. I thought it was a shit-hole.

Cletus
01-04-2021, 08:20 PM
I was visiting Santa Fe a couple of years ago. We took the train to Albuquerque for a day trip. I thought it was a shit-hole.

I don't like cities in general, but Albuquerque I find oppressively hot and crowded and it has a very high crime rate.