PDA

View Full Version : tPF Antimicrobial resistance won’t race across the world like Covid, but it will be bad

DGUtley
02-17-2021, 08:17 AM
The next pandemic? It may already be upon us - Antimicrobial resistance won’t race across the world like Covid-19, but its effects will be devastating. (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/15/creating-conditions-next-pandemic-antibiotics).

(What is antimicrobial resistance? Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) occurs when bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites change over time and no longer respond to medicines making infections harder to treat and increasing the risk of disease spread, severe illness and death)

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if there were a silver lining to this pandemic? If history is anything to go by there may actually turn out to be a number of them, though we can’t quite see them yet, but here’s one that is just beginning to gleam. In the words of Prof Kevin Outterson: “Today, people understand the social disruption from an untreatable infection.”
Outterson teaches health law at Boston University, but you could also think of him as an activist on the cause of antimicrobial resistance (AMR), the rising tide of microbial evolution that threatens to sweep away a central pillar of modern medicine – antibiotics, or more generally, anti-infectives. This tide has been rising for decades, though for a long time only medics and those who directly experienced the horrifying consequences of AMR realised what a threat it posed (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/10/superbugs-a-far-greater-risk-than-covid-in-pacific-scientist-warns). Covid-19 could change that.

In fact AMR could, potentially, cause the next pandemic. Sally Davies, the UK’s special envoy on AMR, captures the difference between that hypothetical pandemic, and the one that’s buffeting us now, in a vivid metaphor: “Covid’s a lobster dropped into boiling water, making a lot of noise as it expires, whereas AMR is a lobster put into cold water, heating up slowly, not making any noise.” Those who study AMR warn the water is pretty hot.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/15/creating-conditions-next-pandemic-antibiotics

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/antimicrobial-resistance

Peter1469
02-17-2021, 08:38 AM
I have discussed this here many times over the years. Our over-use of antibiotics, to include in farming, is creating superbugs.

donttread
02-18-2021, 08:35 AM
I have discussed this here many times over the years. Our over-use of antibiotics, to include in farming, is creating superbugs.

My understanding is that it is mostly farming. It's tricky though had my wife and son been treated earlier with the same anti-biotics they wound up being treated with for COVID they might have avoided hospital and ER
I know anti-biotics aren't suppose to cure viruses but that doesn't mean they don't help in some way even if it is to fight secodary bacterial infections. They have found some nasty crap ( literally ) on farms resistent to 4/5 anti-biotic classes and possibly once resistent to all five. As Peter would know it's not always to prevent disease among over crowded animals they just grow better for some reason when hit with constant sub thereputic doses.
So if the farms will quit doing that I'm in for an extra .15 Cents a pound because the alternative is bad.

countryboy
02-18-2021, 08:44 AM

Antibacterial hand soaps are also major contributors. I quit using them years ago.

DGUtley
02-18-2021, 08:52 AM
My middle brother and his wife disinfected everything when their kids were young. Mrs. U and I? Nothing. Our kids were never sick. His always were. I always thought it was b/c they didn't give their kids the ability to naturally fight off germs.

jigglepete
02-19-2021, 02:19 PM
My middle brother and his wife disinfected everything when their kids were young. Mrs. U and I? Nothing. Our kids were never sick. His always were. I always thought it was b/c they didn't give their kids the ability to naturally fight off germs.

Same with my sister..."wash your hands with the anti-bacterial soap before you touch the babies" I'd pretend to, knowing that they needed Uncle Pete's germs to survive into adulthood (please don't tell my sister LOL).