PDA

View Full Version : What’s Wrong with Tim Tebow?

Mister D
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
In Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow (http://thepoliticalforums.com/#), the football gods have offered up a star that every father in America should be grateful for (provided they don’t root for a rival team in the AFC West).Tebow is respectful, wholesome, and a man of God. He has no obvious failings besides an inaccurate throwing arm. If Disney were to concoct the plot of a movie about an altogether admirable young man who joins the NFL and is scorned by all the experts for his unorthodox style, yet wins week after week, Tebow would play the lead. In fact, at this point Disney could make it a documentary.

Continues

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/284960/what-s-wrong-tim-tebow-rich-lowry?pg=1

MMC
12-12-2011, 02:10 PM
:rollseyes:

Mister D
12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Would you prefer he cited the ancient Sanskrit texts? :grin:

Conley
12-12-2011, 02:17 PM
MMC is understandably sore after yesterday.

Me, I have nothing but love and respect for Tebow. He can't throw worth a crap but he's great at running and managing the game and doesn't turn the ball over trying to do too much like most QBs do. Hey, I hate the Broncos since they are a rival but I can't find myself hating Tebow. Wish there were more pro athletes like him to be honest.

MMC
12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Nah.....but I do prefer that he gets splattered all over the field while he is running around. :wink: It's called the 46 blitz. Unfotunately Da Bears forgot all about it when they first created it with Buddy Ryan. Instead Manillivanilli Ball and Chain allowed the rookie to throw the bowl and take off running.

Mister D
12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
MMC is understandably sore after yesterday.

Me, I have nothing but love and respect for Tebow. He can't throw worth a crap but he's great at running and managing the game and doesn't turn the ball over trying to do too much like most QBs do. Hey, I hate the Broncos since they are a rival but I can't find myself hating Tebow. Wish there were more pro athletes like him to be honest.

:laugh: Now that he can't hate on Cutler what is a guy to do!?

My roommate said the same thign last night. He's just too nice to dislike.

Mister D
12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Nah.....but I do prefer that he gets splattered all over the field while he is running around. :wink: It's called the 46 blitz. Unfotunately Da Bears forgot all about it when they first created it with Buddy Ryan. Instead Manillivanilli Ball and Chain allowed the rookie to throw the bowl and take off running.

He did hurt you guys when he took off running.

MMC
12-12-2011, 02:36 PM
:riot: :angryfire: :cussing: :blowup: :BangHead: :mumum: :stirthepot: :flames: :teapot: :voodoo:

BOOMSTICK
12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Ha, you a Bears fan?

Tebow is making everyone else look bad, don't take it personal.

Mister D
12-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Stop the hate!

Mister D
12-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Anyway, there is a certain corniness to Tebow that does seem to drive some people nuts. I recall that article I left about Romnet and the 1950s but Tebow seems to be an even better example.

MMC
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Stop the hate!

:fart: :pain10: :fighting0074: :tongue20:

Conley
12-12-2011, 07:21 PM
wrong thread! :laugh:

CoLibertarian
02-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Earlier this year, SI wrote an article with the question "What if Cam Newton were white". I wonder now what would a story entitled "What if Tim Tebow were black" would be like.

My opinion is that Tebow probably would not be starting, yet alone a qb. Tebow would have far fewer fans and very few people that make fun of his religious beliefs. It would be an interesting thing to see though. Would the left make fun of a religious African American? Would the right embrace an African American like they have Tebow? What would Rush say - something about Tebow's perceived value being because the media is desirous of an African American Qb succeeding?

Conley
02-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Well one reason Tebow seems so popular to me is that people can relate to him. He's a very down to earth guy. Since most of the NFL fan base is white (just by virtue of numbers in the general population I think that's a very safe bet) it makes sense that he's more popular as a white athlete than he would be as a black athlete. In many cases, people tend to be fans of players they can relate to.

Also, I think the article you're thinking of was "What if Michael Vick Were White", wasn't it? Or were there two articles about black NFL qb's undergoing the Michael Jackson effect? :laugh:

CoLibertarian
02-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Well one reason Tebow seems so popular to me is that people can relate to him. He's a very down to earth guy. Since most of the NFL fan base is white (just by virtue of numbers in the general population I think that's a very safe bet) it makes sense that he's more popular as a white athlete than he would be as a black athlete. In many cases, people tend to be fans of players they can relate to.

Also, I think the article you're thinking of was "What if Michael Vick Were White", wasn't it? Or were there two articles about black NFL qb's undergoing the Michael Jackson effect? :laugh:

They all look alike to me ---- sorry very bad joke. Please forgive me!

Yes you are absolutely correct - it was Mike Vick.

And Tim Tebow is an admirable person, regardless of his skin color. However, it would be an interesting article would it not?

Conley
02-11-2012, 12:00 AM
They all look alike to me ---- sorry very bad joke. Please forgive me!

Yes you are absolutely correct - it was Mike Vick.

And Tim Tebow is an admirable person, regardless of his skin color. However, it would be an interesting article would it not?

:laugh: No problem. You can probably tell from this thread I agree with your opinion on Tebow. It would definitely be an interesting article and something to think about. I can't deny part of Tebow's appeal is that he's white. There's a similar kind of deal going on in the NBA with a Taiwanese-American player who has burst on the scene over the last week. To me the greater appeal of these guys is that they are humble, respectful, and conduct themselves in a great manner compared to so many pro athletes I observe. For me and likely others it is really hard to support the local team when there are guys on it who have multiple arrests, bad behavior on and off the field, etc. Beyond anything to do with race, guys like Tebow and Lin make me feel like it's ok to be a sports fan. Lately I've almost felt guilty and as if I am supporting people some of whom are menaces to society.

MMC
02-11-2012, 12:06 AM
:laugh: No problem. You can probably tell from this thread I agree with your opinion on Tebow. It would definitely be an interesting article and something to think about. I can't deny part of Tebow's appeal is that he's white. There's a similar kind of deal going on in the NBA with a Taiwanese-American player who has burst on the scene over the last week. To me the greater appeal of these guys is that they are humble, respectful, and conduct themselves in a great manner compared to so many pro athletes I observe. For me and likely others it is really hard to support the local team when there are guys on it who have multiple arrests, bad behavior on and off the field, etc. Beyond anything to do with race, guys like Tebow and Lin make me feel like it's ok to be a sports fan. Lately I've almost felt guilty and as if I am supporting people some of whom are menaces to society.

Uhm.....looks left, then right. Leans over and whispers in his brutha's ear. Pssst, "Hollywood" Remembers! :tongue: :wink: :laugh:

CoLibertarian
02-11-2012, 12:11 AM
I can respect a player for being a great player - even if he is a scumbag. I can also respect a person for being a great person - even if he is an average (or bad) player. I really like players (ie Rodgers) that are both (especially if they play for my team).

What annoys me about Tebow is not Timmy himself. The kid is awesome person and I think can be a very unique player. Timmy's fans are what annoy me. When any and all criticism of his accuracy or elongated throwing motion are somehow portrayed as anti-christian, that is annoying.

Conley
02-11-2012, 12:19 AM
I can respect a player for being a great player - even if he is a scumbag. I can also respect a person for being a great person - even if he is an average (or bad) player. I really like players (ie Rodgers) that are both (especially if they play for my team).

What annoys me about Tebow is not Timmy himself. The kid is awesome person and I think can be a very unique player. Timmy's fans are what annoy me. When any and all criticism of his accuracy or elongated throwing motion are somehow portrayed as anti-christian, that is annoying.

Yep, much like Obama's critics have been accused of racism. It happens in every avenue of life, I just ignore it. What else can you do?

Conley
02-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Uhm.....looks left, then right. Leans over and whispers in his brutha's ear. Pssst, "Hollywood" Remembers! :tongue: :wink: :laugh:

I don't watch a lot of Hollywood flicks. They seem to interest me less and less every year.

Mister D
02-11-2012, 11:11 AM
As inconsequential and meaningless as I find sports it does offer us a window into the larger workings of our culture and society. I also must admit I did find the NFL fun to watch this year. :wink:

MMC
02-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah but, the Monday Night and most Thursday night games sucked. Tho this coming year they are suppose to have more games on Thurday night.

CoLibertarian
02-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah but, the Monday Night and most Thursday night games sucked. Tho this coming year they are suppose to have more games on Thurday night.

That first Thursday night game was awesome. The thanksgiving games were nice too.

CoLibertarian
02-11-2012, 10:00 PM
As inconsequential and meaningless as I find sports it does offer us a window into the larger workings of our culture and society. I also must admit I did find the NFL fun to watch this year. :wink:

As much as I would want our education system and our sports systems separated - I do indeed enjoy football.

Conley
02-11-2012, 10:04 PM
That first Thursday night game was awesome. The thanksgiving games were nice too.

That was the Suh Stomp game right? Fun for Packer fans but kind of a blowout. I was hoping it would finally be a competitive matchup.

CoLibertarian
02-11-2012, 10:36 PM
That was the Suh Stomp game right? Fun for Packer fans but kind of a blowout. I was hoping it would finally be a competitive matchup.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Miami Dallas game - but the Detroit game had me nervous until the 3rd quarter.

MMC
02-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Same with Monday Night Games. Started off okay but then they dropped off in ratings too.