PDA

View Full Version : tPF There's no real reason to eat three meals a day...

DGUtley
03-08-2021, 07:58 AM
There's no real reason to eat three meals a day... (https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/03/your-weird-pandemic-meals-are-probably-fine/618210/) Your weird pandemic eating habits are probably fine.

For the first 34 years of my life, I always ate three meals a day. I never thought much about it—the routine was satisfying, it fit easily into my life, and eating three meals a day is just what Americans generally do. By the end of last summer, though, those decades of habit had begun to erode. The time-blindness of working from home and having no social plans left me with no real reason to plod over to my refrigerator at any specific hour of the day. To cope, I did what many Americans have done over the past year: I quasi-purposefully fumbled around for a new routine, and eventually I came up with some weird but workable results—and with Big Meal.

This curious change in my own eating was just the beginning. The pandemic has disrupted nearly every part of daily life, but the effects on how people eat have been particularly acute.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/03/your-weird-pandemic-meals-are-probably-fine/618210/

Collateral Damage
03-08-2021, 08:25 AM
There are going to be a number of people who regret their new eating habits when businesses start opening back up. Your body will try and regulate itself according to what you consume, and if snack foods have been the majority, there are going to be craving issues involved.

I've been working in the office this whole time, so not much has changed for me. Weekday menu, medium breakfast of oatmeal, protein bar, coffee, nuts. Lunch is the heavy meal, then usually light at dinner - veggies, proteins. That way I'm not dealing with carb spikes in the middle of the night. Except for the nights when pasta is involved. I know what it's gonna do, but I eat it anyway.

I feel sorry for those who are going to have to adjust back to a less 'grazing' of snack foods, it won't be easy.

DGUtley
03-08-2021, 08:30 AM
There are going to be a number of people who regret their new eating habits when businesses start opening back up. Your body will try and regulate itself according to what you consume, and if snack foods have been the majority, there are going to be craving issues involved.

I've been working in the office this whole time, so not much has changed for me. Weekday menu, medium breakfast of oatmeal, protein bar, coffee, nuts. Lunch is the heavy meal, then usually light at dinner - veggies, proteins. That way I'm not dealing with carb spikes in the middle of the night. Except for the nights when pasta is involved. I know what it's gonna do, but I eat it anyway.

I feel sorry for those who are going to have to adjust back to a less 'grazing' of snack foods, it won't be easy.

I have been going in every day, as per normal, except this week - I've rented my sister's AirBNB.

...and will fork from there...

Collateral Damage
03-08-2021, 09:02 AM
I have been going in every day, as per normal, except this week - I've rented my sister's AirBNB.

...and will fork from there...
So what time is dinner? I'll bring dessert for you and the missus..... :)

FindersKeepers
03-08-2021, 09:06 AM
I suppose for those new to working from home, the close proximity of the refrigerator could pose a potential weight-gain problem, but my routine hasn't changed at all. I have coffee for breakfast--usually, three cups--and I don't eat anything until I've been up three or four hours. I don't eat in front of my desk--I tried it years ago but ended up with a soup-drenched keyboard one too many times. I'll go for a run or walk the dogs when I take an hour break mid-morning, come back and eat something light, and then do some sort of quick chore--laundry, mop, whatever. Then, I'll work again for a couple of hours and I'll eat a salad or something around 2:30 or 3:00. I'll make a fairly early dinner for my husband (4:30 to 5:00) but I don't eat it. I'll just sit and chat with a glass of tea or something. Eating later in the afternoon tends to make me feel tired and I don't like feeling tired until I go to bed.

But, nothing has really changed so it's all same old, same old around here. LOL

And, I don't do sweets.

Collateral Damage
03-08-2021, 10:07 AM
I suppose for those new to working from home, the close proximity of the refrigerator could pose a potential weight-gain problem, but my routine hasn't changed at all. I have coffee for breakfast--usually, three cups--and I don't eat anything until I've been up three or four hours. I don't eat in front of my desk--I tried it years ago but ended up with a soup-drenched keyboard one too many times. I'll go for a run or walk the dogs when I take an hour break mid-morning, come back and eat something light, and then do some sort of quick chore--laundry, mop, whatever. Then, I'll work again for a couple of hours and I'll eat a salad or something around 2:30 or 3:00. I'll make a fairly early dinner for my husband (4:30 to 5:00) but I don't eat it. I'll just sit and chat with a glass of tea or something. Eating later in the afternoon tends to make me feel tired and I don't like feeling tired until I go to bed.

But, nothing has really changed so it's all same old, same old around here. LOL

And, I don't do sweets.
I need carbs and proteins to make it through the day... I do graze on veggies and nuts between meals. A meal regular plan such as what you list above would have me crashing BG-wise, nor can I afford the weight loss.

Abby08
03-08-2021, 11:36 AM
I eat when I'm hungry, whether it's once a day or 4 times a day.......and then, I don't eat much.

I seldom make a full meal anymore, we pick, a little of this, a handful of that.....if I cook a whole chicken, I can get 4 meals out of it.

My eating habits have changed drastically, not because of any pandemic but, because of age.......LOL!

Trumpster
03-08-2021, 12:19 PM
Each person who posts what they eat and/or how they eat should also provide their height and weight. :grin:

RMNIXON
03-08-2021, 02:42 PM
I think the main concern is not to overeat because your out of work/school and simply bored.....

Also keep up the exercise!