PDA

View Full Version : tPF Why exercise won't help you lose weight and what actually works...

DGUtley
03-18-2021, 06:32 AM
Why exercise won't help you lose weight and what actually works.. (https://www.today.com/health/exercise-weight-loss-why-diet-more-important-lose-weight-t212045).

Of all the wonderful things exercise does for your body (https://www.today.com/health/exercise-changes-9-800-molecules-blood-t184396), more evidence suggests losing weight isn’t one of them. Your daily activity level has almost no bearing on the number of calories you burn and burning more energy doesn’t protect against getting fat, Herman Pontzer writes in his new book, “Burn: New Research Blows the Lid Off How We Really Burn Calories, Lose Weight, and Stay Healthy (https://www.amazon.com/Burn-Research-Really-Calories-Healthy/dp/0525541527?tag=nb013-book-20).” “Your brain is very, very, very good at matching how many calories you eat and how many calories you burn,” Pontzer, an associate professor of evolutionary anthropology at Duke University, told TODAY.

“The person who has a sedentary lifestyle and the person who has the active lifestyle will burn the same number of calories.”

https://www.today.com/health/exercise-weight-loss-why-diet-more-important-lose-weight-t212045

AVOID THIS:

https://www.today.com/health/exercise-weight-loss-why-diet-more-important-lose-weight-t212045

midcan5
03-18-2021, 06:47 AM
I don't agree as exercise for those of us in our senior years helps with weight and especially conditioning this aging body. No doubt as I get lots of questions on how I stay young and fit and good looking too. lol And my wife and I, during this pandemic often do drive thru MacDonald's, although we do get the small sizes. Find what works for you, eat sensibly, stay active, and take some vitamins and other nutrients. Stay safe and get the vaccine when you can. Oh and exercise your brain too. Read.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-exercise-for-weight-loss

Peter1469
03-18-2021, 06:49 AM
It is true that nutrition is the majority of where weight loss is achieved, but it is not true that

“The person who has a sedentary lifestyle and the person who has the active lifestyle will burn the same number of calories.”

The scientists were looking at

How does Pontzer know? He studies the Hadza people of Tanzania, hunter-gatherers who walk for miles every day foraging for food. They’re incredibly physically active, moving more in a day than most Americans do in a week, so Pontzer and his colleagues were sure they’d be burning a crazy amount of calories. Yet when the researchers measured how much energy the Hadza burned, it turned out to be the same amount as sedentary urbanites in the West.

That is my problem with steady state cardio and weight loss- the article is right about that.

But resistance training (weights) and high intensity interval training does affect your metabolism in a positive way. Simply put, muscle needs more energy to remain (and grow) than does fat. A serious body builder's biceps (world class) probably needs more energy in a day than your average couch potato.

I would like to see a study comparing the metabolism of males between 185lbs and 230 lbs with a body fat 12% and under compared to the average couch potato of the same weight. Their body fat would likely be between 25 and 30%.

I guarantee you their findings would be different.

And on edit: I posted this elsewhere yesterday:

I was reading a fitness blog about restrictive food plans and weight loss. The author said restrictive food plans can lead to weigh gain through discouragement, noncompliance etc. Eat what you like. Calories in v. calories out is what matters for weight control (lose or gain). But he warned, there are health consequences with your food choices.

FindersKeepers
03-18-2021, 06:54 AM
I'm not sure that's accurate. Activity burns calories and active people burn more calories than sedentary people.

Besides, muscle burn more calories than fat so someone who has a higher muscle-to-fat ratio will burn more calories.

I know there are exceptions, such as when a body goes into ketosis, but for most folks, I think calories-in-calories-out is still relative.

Peter1469
03-18-2021, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure that's accurate. Activity burns calories and active people burn more calories than sedentary people.

Besides, muscle burn more calories than fat so someone who has a higher muscle-to-fat ratio will burn more calories.

I know there are exceptions, such as when a body goes into ketosis, but for most folks, I think calories-in-calories-out is still relative.

I think the point the article made was that your body adapts to steady state cardio so over time your body will become more efficient and end up burning the same calories that it did before you began to do steady state cardio. I suspect that this takes a long time to occur, so you get benefits during that transition period.

Mister D
03-18-2021, 09:07 AM
This is shockingly bad advice. In the midst of a truly serious pandemic (i.e. the obesity epidemic) we're encouraging people to move less. As if they needed an excuse!

Not everyone agrees. Programs that combine both diet and exercise result in a 20% greater weight loss compared to diet alone, said Deborah Riebe, a professor of exercise science and associate dean of the college of health sciences at the University of Rhode Island. She recommends a combination of eating less along with getting adequate levels of exercise to maximize weight loss in people who are overweight or obese. Physical activity also appears to be a critical component to prevent weight regain, Riebe said.Both diet and exercise are needed to slim down, added Maya Vadiveloo, an assistant professor in the department of nutrition and food sciences at the University of Rhode Island.

Of course not everyone agrees. That's because responsible people won't tell you what you want to hear. They're going to tell you the truth.

Mister D
03-18-2021, 09:30 AM
I think the point the article made was that your body adapts to steady state cardio so over time your body will become more efficient and end up burning the same calories that it did before you began to do steady state cardio. I suspect that this takes a long time to occur, so you get benefits during that transition period.
The evidence cardio adaptation is based upon is weak and it doesn't look at the reality of cardio routines. They looked at people who did exactly the same thing at exactly the same rate for a significant period of time. But who does that? You get better at cardio. You run harder. You run faster. You run further. When I was an inexperienced runner cranking out a single 8 minute mile does anyone seriously believe I'm burning the same number of calories running 7 miles at a much faster pace?

Mister D
03-18-2021, 09:31 AM

If nothing else, cardio will enable you to eat more and who doesn't want to eat more? :)

carolina73
03-18-2021, 10:44 AM
Being skinny-fat is not a healthy choice.
You not healthy just because your weight fits the column of the chart that you pick.

Madison
03-18-2021, 11:31 AM
I say normal activities (outside) don't overdue it
Cooking at home with fresh food and 3 small meals a day
Drinking Water

That's my way
Keep your brain busy

Peter1469
03-18-2021, 11:33 AM
The evidence cardio adaptation is based upon is weak and it doesn't look at the reality of cardio routines. They looked at people who did exactly the same thing at exactly the same rate for a significant period of time. But who does that? You get better at cardio. You run harder. You run faster. You run further. When I was an inexperienced runner cranking out a single 8 minute mile does anyone seriously believe I'm burning the same number of calories running 7 miles at a much faster pace?
Yea, but I think a lot of people do steady state cardio at the same rate over and over, forever. I see that at my gym and at previous gyms. Not everyone of course.

Peter1469
03-18-2021, 11:35 AM
I say normal activities (outside) don't overdue it
Cooking at home with fresh food and 3 small meals a day
Drinking Water

That's my way
Keep your brain busy

I understand that position. I don't exercise just for the sake of it. I actually like it and it is part of my daily routine.

Madison
03-18-2021, 12:04 PM
I understand that position. I don't exercise just for the sake of it. I actually like it and it is part of my daily routine.

Yeah!
I agree, everyone way is a personal choice.
What someone feel confortable and enjoying the best == is the right way
:smiley-char092:

Mister D
03-18-2021, 12:51 PM
Yea, but I think a lot of people do steady state cardio at the same rate over and over, forever. I see that at my gym and at previous gyms. Not everyone of course.
Even then, the effect isn't that significant. You may expend 20% fewer calories. The last message we should be sending is to stop exercising. I agree 100% that diet is critical. It's half the equation (and most of the equation if you want your abs to show) but it's irresponsible to advise people to reduce their activity level. I can tell that most of the people in the cardio area at my gym would rather be doing something else. There a lot of people who do resistance training that are consistent and pretty hard core but I'm one of handful of serious runners and cyclers. The idea that exercise is futile or even counter-productive would be very appealing to people who'd rather not do it.

Mister D
03-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Same here. I look forward to it.

Peter1469
03-18-2021, 05:56 PM
Even then, the effect isn't that significant. You may expend 20% fewer calories. The last message we should be sending is to stop exercising. I agree 100% that diet is critical. It's half the equation (and most of the equation if you want your abs to show) but it's irresponsible to advise people to reduce their activity level. I can tell that most of the people in the cardio area at my gym would rather be doing something else. There a lot of people who do resistance training that are consistent and pretty hard core but I'm one of handful of serious runners and cyclers. The idea that exercise is futile or even counter-productive would be very appealing to people who'd rather not do it.
Totally agree. And exercise has a lot more benefits beyond weight loss.

Trumpster
03-19-2021, 03:43 PM
Exercise does help but diet plays a more important part. More on this later.

Peter1469
03-19-2021, 06:15 PM
Exercise does help but diet plays a more important part. More on this later.
Very true. Diet is probably 75% of the equation. And the type of exercise is very important if your goal is weight loss- or I should say losing fat.

Trumpster
03-20-2021, 09:53 AM
I think what Pontzer said may have been a bit misleading when he said it was a brilliant evolutionary strategy for hunter-gatherers to burn 3,000 calories per day, no matter their activity level, to survive in times of famine. If they did burn the same amount it would have been because they first got fat when food was plentiful and they would then burn their own stored-up body-fat.

In times of famine, they would still need to be out hunting and trying to gather whatever they could find, even if they didn't find anything. So their activity level would be basically the same. That being the case, why would it be surprising that they would burn the same amount of calories?

Then what would happen if the famine lasted longer than expected and they had no more body fat to burn? Their metabolism would slow down considerably and they would burn a lot less calories which would come mainly from cannibalizing their own muscle.

I don't see how any of what he says is new information. And he's for cutting calories; what's new about that?

Also, there have been studies that show two people may consume the exact same diet/calories with different outcomes concerning weight issues. That's because no two people have the exact same digestive system. Does he acknowledge that in his book, or does he ignore it? The efficiency of our digestive system can be enhanced or destroyed based on our overall lifestyle.

stephenpe
03-20-2021, 07:55 PM
This is my kind of thread. I taught PE for 40 yrs and was married to a clinical dietician for 25 yrs. The body adapts so doing the same cardio may have some diminishing returns. And the same is with diet. Your weight plateaus as your body adapts to the intake. The key to both is probably changing it up. Madison said water. Drinking more in my mid sixties has helped a lot with my digestion. I have diverticulitis and I fixed that with diet years ago. But the water has made a great difference. I found a new book recently 36013 and it basically affirms that you move you live, you move a lot and you live longer and much healthier and if you sit you are gonna die and have poor health. I recently had that epiphany in my old easy chair. It was like a drug so I threw it out. Movement raises your metabolism and helps digestion. Maintains flexibility and actually gives you energy. So Ive done a stairmaster for about 20 yrs now. Easy on the joints and three miles, 5 days a week. I also do weights. There is proof they are good for you as you age. I was lucky those forty years because my job was a lot of exercise as I lead each class in exercise and stretching each day 6 classes a day. Retiring 3 yrs ago I had to create my own program.

Peter1469
03-21-2021, 04:47 AM
This is my kind of thread. I taught PE for 40 yrs and was married to a clinical dietician for 25 yrs. The body adapts so doing the same cardio may have some diminishing returns. And the same is with diet. Your weight plateaus as your body adapts to the intake. The key to both is probably changing it up. Madison said water. Drinking more in my mid sixties has helped a lot with my digestion. I have diverticulitis and I fixed that with diet years ago. But the water has made a great difference. I found a new book recently 36013 and it basically affirms that you move you live, you move a lot and you live longer and much healthier and if you sit you are gonna die and have poor health. I recently had that epiphany in my old easy chair. It was like a drug so I threw it out. Movement raises your metabolism and helps digestion. Maintains flexibility and actually gives you energy. So Ive done a stairmaster for about 20 yrs now. Easy on the joints and three miles, 5 days a week. I also do weights. There is proof they are good for you as you age. I was lucky those forty years because my job was a lot of exercise as I lead each class in exercise and stretching each day 6 classes a day. Retiring 3 yrs ago I had to create my own program.
Great book.

About cardio- change it up. Yes, that is why I do HIIT and not steady state cardio.